Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire Reviews

• Jul 26, 2019

Precious is powerful.

Precious is powerful.

• Jun 06, 2019

"Precious" is a powerful and heartbreaking film. While I thought the subject matter portrayed in the movie is very unpleasant, I thought it was executed exceptionally well. The film shines primarily due to the top-notch performances that are so good that I felt like I was watching actual people opposed to actors. The two standout performances were delivered by Gabourey Sidibe and Mo'Nique, who both went on to earn award nominations and wins back when this film came out. I thought these two actresses had moments in this movie where the performances were so real and painful, that I was shaking as a result. I do feel that the movie makes some stylistic choices that while unique, felt out of place at times. Nonetheless, as a whole, this is an unforgettable movie that presents a tragic situation, but in the end, feels hopeful and even somewhat uplifting.

• May 13, 2019

Sidibe and Mo'nique plays quite a long unbroken tennis game, the judges had to side for Sidibe, but personally, Monique stole the show for me. Precious Daniels doesn't have Spike Lee's aggression nor Barry Jenkins's cut throat vocab. What Lee Daniels has, is warmth. Warmth so incredibly moving and cozy that it rubbles you down when it fully embraces your mistakes. Yes. Flaws are his way in. With a balanced world that isn't overdosed by medication behavior, the obvious political correct expectations aren't even touched to fight a fair fight. Also, there is a whole new dimension to be explored in here and figuring out a way to resist the inevitable judging eyes, Gabourey Sidibe is dipped in plethora of troubles to come out off in here. And this is quite a big mountain to climb upon and if it would be just us watching her climb, it wouldn't be quite as engaging as it is. Daniels convinces us to join the journey and he is a real trickster for he spreads crumbles of bread for everyone of varied appetite. The writing is really strong, especially the narration that mostly drives and guides the film, it is steady and informative, something every writers aspires to have. The hyphenated dialogues that mostly endorses cussing and rage spewed with sassiness does not only leave a jarring impression but also a levity that paints the practicality in a fight ensued in a house between a family. Another tasteful ingredient sprinkled out is eerie camera work and dream sequences to express the views clearly without straining in the stick, it all hinges upon, which is the genre it claims to be that never derails. Precious unfortunately could never be rare, with dark spirits hovering around the film, it leaves a scar on you after it consumes a lot from you, and offering a cathartic finale, it is tipped towards the balance of an example of good filmmaking- Daniels is at his best.

• Feb 01, 2019

This movie is a must-see. I waited to see this when it was first released because it seemed like it was going to tackle some tough topics. It does! And it does so very well. Everyone in this film does a super excellent job!

• Dec 08, 2018

So heart-wrenching! Even though the book is a novel, we know that many poor children live with this kind of abuse and many don't emerge from it the way Precious does. So much depends on the child finding the right person to help them. We don't know Precious' ultimate fate, but she seems to be going in the right direction and one hopes she comes out alright for her children's sake.

• Apr 13, 2018

Movie making that inspires. Gabourey Sidibe, Monique, and Paula Patton impress. The story is one that stays with you for a long time.

• Mar 03, 2018

Despite being very grim and depressing, the film is ultimately a triumph in almost every front, with the incredible acting, storyline and it's underlaying message.

• Feb 18, 2018

Precious is the heartbreaking story of a woman, a true woman, with a film to support her that is so uncategorically moving that even though her story is destined to end in tragedy, the film opts for a denouement that is heartwarmingly optimistic.

• Jan 06, 2018

A very good film. Just don't watch it while depressed because won't make it any better.

• Dec 28, 2017

This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. How it got so much hype, or anywhere near the Oscars is beyond me. It's a profanity-laced bore. Had I known the Monster's Ball producer directed this one, I wouldn't have bothered - another over-hyped lousy movie..If stringing together profanities is Oscar-worthy, let's give Andrew Dice Clay a lifetime achievement award.