Prince of Darkness Reviews

• Apr 06, 2021

Apparently John Carpenter thinks he can get away with a few spills, chills, freak outs, gross outs, and assume that everyone is going to overlook the plot holes and wtf moments, not to mention the fact that 99.9% of the film has 0% explanation as to what the hell is going on! Are they zombies or not? How does a woman live after having her head chopped off? Why did a dead man from the church have a key with him to begin with? Why was everyone eyeing the sky? Why that specific church for the portal to Hell, why not the one in the next town, the one where the cast isn't so annoying like the ones in this picture! And the ending? Don't get me started, it just opened up a new line of questions. The main question I was asking myself: WHY WAS THIS MOVIE EVEN MADE!!!

• Jan 20, 2021

Boring, campy and above all else filled with a storyline that makes no sense 'Prince of Darkness' is a huge disapointment. (0/10)

• Oct 30, 2020

Very slow, low budget & not great. Didn't feel as good or fun as most other Carpenter movies.

• Oct 28, 2020

Regarded as one of John Carpenter's minor works, and its easy to see why, Prince Of Darkness is an exposition-heavy tale of evil, the Devil and a group of young scientists trying to figure out a mystery while a giant container of green goo constantly screws things up. The music is classic Carpenter, and there's even a few nods to his own horror classic Halloween. Sadly, the film fails to be more than the sum of its parts. The building the scientists are in is surrounded by a group of what look like homeless insomniacs, one of which, randomly, is played by Alice Cooper. You'd think they have some big role to play, but they're just there as a plot device used to keep any of the leads from running away. When the film ends, they simply walk away. It's the ‘enemies are controlled by a single power source and are all conquered when its destroyed' story trope. It's not a bad film by any stretch, just an unremarkable one, despite the always awesome Donald Pleasance giving it his all. I'd say see it if you're a Carpenter completionist; otherwise stick to the films that he built his career on.

• Sep 04, 2020

One of my personal favorites. Great theology and science mix. I love one scene. The scientist typing on her screen over and over again.... I Live! I Live! I Live! You will not be saved by the Holy Ghost. You will not be saved by the god Plutonium. In fact, YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED! I remember watching this when it first came out and it was truly creepy but honestly confusing. The movie does need a few rewatches to better understand. Love it!

• Jul 24, 2020

Story/Screenplay: (2/5) Dumb people doing dumb things and getting picked off one by one. This is how this horror story propels itself forward. There was some interesting stuff here, but the dumb stuff was too prevalent to ignore. Duration/Tempo: (3/5) At 1 hour and 42 minutes, it's a shorter than average movie that felt longer, but necessarily long. Cast & Crew: (3/5) Victor Wong's performance was the most interesting and Donald Pleasence was solid. Jameson Parker and Lisa Blount were well cast. Summary: (2.5/5) The film felt longer than I would have liked, the story was borderline fair to poor, tending towards poor, and the cast was not good enough to be good. Overall, a thumbs down.

• Mar 15, 2020

De mis favoritas del maestro. Adoro la mezcla de mitología cristiana-latino-griega y ciencias naturales y metafísicas. Se manejan ideas fascinantes, aunque es una lástima que no se puedan explorar más allá (este guion quedaría genial adaptado a una miniserie). Es muy original, totalmente única en su especie, y realmente "creepy" y divertida, con algunas buenas actuaciones (y otras terribles). Genial diseño de producción.

• Feb 10, 2020

Silly and slow with some clever ideas and a few flourishes ahead of its time. The synthesis on technology, science, horror and satan is a novel one. I can't say I was engaged particularly, I appreciated it and the 4K remaster is stunning, the film is neither kooky and retro enough to be fun or clever or well made enough to be a classic or a really good horror film. It feels like a student stretching their filmmaking legs into a rogues gallery of 80's horror tropes.

• Jan 26, 2020

Truly weird. The best aspect is the odd mix of science and supernatural. The ending...when it's revealed who that dark figure in the future is...well, it's one of the most unsettling moments in horror cinema.

• Nov 23, 2019

One of John Carpenter's better late 80's entries. Classic Carpenter, putting a group of people together at a location with no way out. This time with the Devil himself.