Prince of Darkness Reviews

• May 17, 2022

John Carpenter's prince of darkness is really a underrated supernatural horror film with great cast and score and the story is very hard to follow about good or evil of god and devil.

• May 05, 2022

No likeable characters, no interesting or compelling horror movie scenes. Cheesy and terrible all the way through. Every second of this movie was a pain to watch.

• Feb 17, 2022

It looks good. There is nothing to complain about. All of the effects look solid as they were done in-camera. I loved the flowing movement. The music is very eighties but that doesn't bother me! It has a good solid sound mix that I couldn't complain about! This starts a little slow but it really takes off to be an intense and brutally scary movie. This truly is scary with some solid jumps and a petrifying theme! There are a lot of characters and that helps to keep the pace moving at top speed. It is reminiscent of Halloween (1978) but different and scarier due to the themes raised. The story is told really well and hints at many powers that are way above us morals. Stunning horror that doesn't fail to scare and exhilarate.

• Dec 25, 2021

Prince of Darkness is really a different kind of supernatural horror suspense thriller film.

• Nov 24, 2021

A masterpiece! One of Carpenter's best movies and one of the greatest horror movies ever made.

• Mark B Super Reviewer
    Oct 10, 2021

An awesome score by the moody synth maestro introduces us to another 80's banger with John Carpenter taking on the subject of evil incarnate (or Satan, the devil, the Prince of Darkness, Schrödinger's cat, antimatter, ... yada yada yada (shit, my common sense just broke down). My enjoyment of Carpenter's work is basically a sliding scale that edges up pre-The Thing, his best work and my favorite movie of all time, and then starts slowly going in the wrong direction. Don't get me wrong, I really dig Christine, Big Trouble in Little China, Starman, They Live, and more. But Prince of Darkness is where his work started becoming more inconsistent and flawed, at least for me. Donald Pleasance was decent in Halloween but was horrible here. The way he delivered his lines was like he got whacked in the head and was sent back to remedial acting school. The script and explanation makes no dame sense, just like quantum physics and that opening quote. There's a brief description in this article that has all kind of spoilers, but it kind of helps pull the Scientology-like origin story together. The film's shortcomings in dialogue, acting and plot absurdities are mostly made up by the plethora of fantastically staged scenes and practical effects. The swirling green liquid in a container, which apparently contains Satan, is absolutely hypnotizing to look at. How the hell did Carpenter create that? Leave me a comment if you know -- Google was no help. Casting Alice Cooper was ingenious. If anybody could be a homeless zombie leader, it's Cooper. Apparently the producer for this was also Cooper's agent as well. And the "impaler" he used to take out one dude in an alley was what he used in his shows. This is the second film of The Apocalypse trilogy that started with The Thing and wrapped up with In the Mouth of Madness. This is still peak JC, even if he started getting rough around the edges.

• Sep 23, 2021

For me, this is a nostalgia movie with a bunch of recognizable faces from the 80s. The whole problem would have been solved with a pistol and keeping their mouths closed. Water play is an understatement.

• Jul 28, 2021

From last few days, I have been watching John Carpenter's movie. I read about this movie and watched it. The idea of the movie was little bit creepy but not new. For your info, this movie is now considered cult classic like Carpenter's other movies. For me, the movie was Carpenter's career one of the weakest. It had elements of darkness, horror and tense, but it failed to have it's impact. There are some good tense scenes but most of the time, it's too much normal movie. If we talk about performances, none of them gave a worthy performance. Direction by John Carpenter was weak. It thought it would be just like his other movies such as Halloween and The Thing but no. I didn't find any problem with the pacing. The main problem was with too much simple story and it's too much simple execution. Overall, the movie is a normal one. I can't think that this was made by director who have given so much dark, tense and suspenseful movies.

• Apr 06, 2021

Apparently John Carpenter thinks he can get away with a few spills, chills, freak outs, gross outs, and assume that everyone is going to overlook the plot holes and wtf moments, not to mention the fact that 99.9% of the film has 0% explanation as to what the hell is going on! Are they zombies or not? How does a woman live after having her head chopped off? Why did a dead man from the church have a key with him to begin with? Why was everyone eyeing the sky? Why that specific church for the portal to Hell, why not the one in the next town, the one where the cast isn't so annoying like the ones in this picture! And the ending? Don't get me started, it just opened up a new line of questions. The main question I was asking myself: WHY WAS THIS MOVIE EVEN MADE!!!

• Jan 20, 2021

Boring, campy and above all else filled with a storyline that makes no sense 'Prince of Darkness' is a huge disapointment. (0/10)