Prince of Darkness Reviews

• Feb 10, 2020

Silly and slow with some clever ideas and a few flourishes ahead of its time. The synthesis on technology, science, horror and satan is a novel one. I can't say I was engaged particularly, I appreciated it and the 4K remaster is stunning, the film is neither kooky and retro enough to be fun or clever or well made enough to be a classic or a really good horror film. It feels like a student stretching their filmmaking legs into a rogues gallery of 80's horror tropes.

• Jan 26, 2020

Truly weird. The best aspect is the odd mix of science and supernatural. The ending...when it's revealed who that dark figure in the future is...well, it's one of the most unsettling moments in horror cinema.

• Nov 23, 2019

One of John Carpenter's better late 80's entries. Classic Carpenter, putting a group of people together at a location with no way out. This time with the Devil himself.

• Nov 02, 2019

A cool cult classic with an amazing concept!

A cool cult classic with an amazing concept!

• Oct 30, 2019

have a great potential, but this movie became too boring with so much science explanation

• Oct 16, 2019

"Our logic collapses on the subatomic level into ghosts and shadows," philosophizes one character during the extended opening credit sequence—and sounding a lot like one of my lectures, to boot. With a hodgepodge of mystical metaphysics, pseudoscience pataphysics, and quantum physics, John Carpenter's second entry in his Apocalypse Trilogy is simultaneously claustrophobic in its confined cast and setting, yet expansive in its thematic and narrative reach, threatening the end of the world as exposes otherworldly origins for the spirituality that drives and binds humanity, siding with neither religion nor science over the other, but showing how the very ontological division between them falls apart. The result of this subversive fusion, at least to some imperfect degree that vacillates between goofy and brilliant, is an ambivalent feeling of existential dread both at the smallness of our worldly existence in the face of unknowable specters and at the enormous responsibility we insignificant creatures still have to fight those bigger forces, if only for the time being.

• Oct 10, 2019

Carpenters most underrated and overlooked film. Master of thrills with minimal effects. You don't need crazy visuals but can do more with eerie slow content to creep someone out. This film is perfect example of Carpenters career work, constantly straddling the line of genius through kitsch. Sometimes he went too far and fell over the line into the absurd, but when he got it just right, you got something great. This should be more widely viewed as great. There is something very intriguing about this films comparison and attempt to ground the metaphysical ideas of myth and beliefs of good vs evil within the scientific realm of quantum physics. I just wish he kept going with this idea in another film. I'm left wanting him to continue this train of thought further.

• Jul 29, 2019

Interesting albeit disappointing film in the John Carpenter filmography. Which is rather surprising since it came during the peak years of his career. Its an intriguing and slow burning story but it just never hooks you or makes you care much about the characters. Worth a watch for hardcore fans of Carpenter but everyone else can probably skip this.

• Jun 03, 2019

One of the best Carpenter's movie. Very clever with very strong pictures.

One of the best Carpenter's movie. Very clever with very strong pictures.

• Apr 10, 2019

The religious undertones & interwoven science in this movie are what makes it so good.