Quest For Camelot Reviews

• Oct 19, 2020

Warner Bros. tried so hard to replicate Disney's animation success with Quest for Camelot, but they really failed. The songs aren't that memorable, the animation is far from polished, the characters are weakly developed with only the villain being interesting and the overall plot is rushed and lacking in magic. The movie has its moments, but for the most part it fails to resonate.

• Sep 29, 2020

Quest For Camelot is a perfect example of a film that had every advantage going for it, and still managed to fail spectacularly. It had a big budget for the time (almost $65 million in 2020 dollars), was produced by a major studio, had a big-name cast and had vocal legends Steve Perry and Celine Dion on the soundtrack. The result? A steaming pile of... well, you get the drift. The animation is, at the best of times, pedestrian, the dialogue is all over the place, the songs are mediocre, and often played at the worst times, and the pacing is almost non-existent. The story itself is a formulaic one: a young girl wants to prove herself as a hero, a gender-switch on the classic Arthurian knight's tale. There's nothing inherently wrong with a formula story when done well. Anastasia (1997), for example, is an example of this. However, what Anastasia does is gets you to feel for the characters, and believe that the relationships between them is genuine. Quest For Camelot fails to do that. Many of the supporting characters (the two-headed Dragon, the Axe-beak Chicken and the Griffin) are, quite frankly, more annoying than they are entertaining. The villain exists solely for the fact that a villain is necessary for an animated film, as he doesn't really seem to be motivated by anything. And the heroes of the film, Kaylee and Garrett, are rather bland, more archetypes than characters. The only thing keeping this film from one-star territory, if not lower, is that the songs are admittedly a little catchy, particularly Garrett's solo number "I Stand Alone." But that's not nearly enough to save this film from being what it really is: a very expensive flop.

• Jul 18, 2020

Empty watch, probably won't watch again, and can't recommend. This movie is a good example of Warner Bros' desperate desire to be like Disney instead of doing their own thing when it comes to animation. It even looks like they lifted a character directly out of "Alice in Wonderland", and maybe there was a legal loophole they had , but it was really unnecessary. Honestly, most of the premise is a lot of nonsense, and I don't mean to dash dreams and lose the fancy of imaginative creation, but it's not even just fun. They took one of the few popular free stories (King Arthur) that Disney hadn't monopolized ("Sword in the Stone" only covers Arthur as a child, and this is after Camelot was realized), and then added so much magical guff to it that it was hardly recognizable as a version of the original story. This is not a "King Arthur and his Knights" story, it's a Kayley, and you don't know who that is because they made her up. Even Cary Elwes (Princess Bride: The Man in Black), by far the best actor / character in the movie, seems to have impatient disdain for having to perform the role, and he's probably the 3rd most occurring character. A knight that Arthur never would have made a knight, that the audience doesn't know, traitors the crown (when Lancelot did it, it was impactful) and kills a knight, that the audience doesn't know or care about, so the main character is launch into adventure on a basis that the audience objectively doesn't care about, and that adventure is further preluded with a Griffon dropping Excaliber into a cursed wood (which would have normally been represented by Merlin and/or the Woad), and having some magic would be fine, but they basically rip off the "Fire Swamp" from "Princess Bride" and add in all these questionably real people with weapons for hands. Everything I just wrote sounds insane, and that's without the guide being blind or there being a 2-headed dragon that hates itselves. I'm tired, and you should skip this unless you just have to see the train wreck.

• Jul 14, 2020

A great animated movie that didn't get the attention it deserves. It has a strong female lead which wasn't common in animation at the time. Great lessons in bravery, acceptance, and living the way you want to, despite what society says about your gender, or abilities.

• Jul 09, 2020

Even my 5 year old boys were bored (and the adults were offended by the misogynistic themes).

• Jul 06, 2020

An absolute masterpiece. Everything about this movie is perfect. There is nothing wrong with it. Sure, the art style is dated and the visuals aren't as good as they are today, but it's got character. It's got soul. This movie is has everything: amazing songs, incredible strong female lead with a supportive mother and father, a romantic lead with who is blind, and some cool dragons. I've never seen a more well-done movie, ever.

• Jul 06, 2020

Entertaining enough but shows no signs that Warner Bros is ready to play with the big boys of animation.

• Jun 16, 2020

Loved it. My daughter loved it. Great songs. Silly and uneven at times but a classic for animated young people.

• May 15, 2020

I watched this movie as a child and I always enjoyed it even now I still watch it every now and again and have yet to be disappointed with this film

• May 03, 2020

This is a movie that I expected to be forgettable but it is actually funny and charming