Quigley Down Under - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Quigley Down Under Reviews

½ June 13, 2016
Entertaining; great leit motif, also.
½ January 14, 2016
I didn't resent the time spent watching it. Rickman needed a bigger part, though.
December 30, 2015
The First film...seen wit Selleck....who played a great role.....and wit Alan Rickman.......and .....Laura San giacomo....were all f-ing great!!!
September 24, 2015
it's a HOAX!! Don't "Click" on this shiiiiiiity $3.99 to see Quigley Down Under.
You may get a VIRUS so it's not worth it! Stick it where the sun doesn't shine!
FALSE ADVERTISING = EPIC FAIL get bent bots! Want to see what? You land down under in Hell? Maybe I would!
September 5, 2015
Tom Selleck's best Western has him fighting a racist landowner (Rickman) in Australia. There's loads of horseback riding, and shooting, and fighting and showdowns, the stuff and fabric of Westerns, sure, but what makes this work is the wonderful Laura San Giacomo as a woman traumatized by her past. And she steals a Western, that muy macho domain of lore, right in front of everyone.
July 29, 2015
Even with the terrible ending, Quigley Down Under is a good western starring Tom Selleck
June 23, 2015
This Is one of my favorite movies! Every time it's on, I watch it. See something
new each time. Good riding, shooting, and love the music!!
April 13, 2015
I'm pretty sure that if you ever asked me in my younger years if I liked Westerns I would have said "no way." However when it comes to films like Quigley Down Under I realize my Dad was indoctrinating me from a young age to like Westerns anyways. This is one of the films that he had me watch and I still like it to this day. What sets this one apart from others in the genre is that they move the action to the Australian outback. However in every way it seems to follow a traditional old west formula. Tom Selleck plays an expert long-range marksman who arrives in Australia to apply for a job working for Alan Rickman (a wealthy land owner.) However their relationship doesn't start out well when Selleck discovers Rickman wants his skills in order to help kill Aborigines. I like how they have equated the plight of native Australians with that of native Americans, despite the fact that you can tell they've simplified and Hollywood-ized the situation a bit. It's also worth noting that they never show the Aborigines having a moment of strength where they fight for their own cause, Quigley basically becomes their only hope of salvation in this film. But if you can get past that kind of stuff the story is an entertaining one.

I think Tom Selleck is great in the lead role. He should have done more Westerns, because his look and personality work well for that genre. Alan Rickman naturally plays a delightful villain. His distinguished accent and mannerisms are an excellent counterpoint to Selleck. Laura San Giacomo is the love interest, who's a bit off her rocker. I like how they slowly reveal her story and it's nice to see that, as we learn more about her, she becomes less annoying and more sympathetic. That's never an easy transition to make. The story is well crafted and I can never get enough of Quigley making those long shots with his rifle. There's almost something superhuman about his skill and it gives him a more powerful aura. Matthew Quigley is the kind of character I love seeing in films, the hero who fights with honor and only kills those who threaten the lives of others. The final showdown between the 2 lead characters is excellent and has a nice little twist that, while you might expect it, fits perfectly with the personality of the characters. I can't guarantee you'll love this movie, but it works well for me and is one that I can watch any time.
½ December 28, 2014
Director Simon Winder was coming off his highly successful adaptation of "Lonesome Dove" when he directed this likable western set in his native Australia. I also remember this film being very popular when it came out and I think it was so popular because it came out during a time where few westerns were being made and this film, despite the Australian setting was very much a throwback to old Hollywood westerns. Tom Selleck plays an American sharpshooter who goes down under for a job working for evil land baron Alan Rickman. Selleck takes an immediate dislike to Rickman and Rickman's thugs then spend most of the movie chasing him, along with a half crazed Laura San Giacomo, across the outback. The story is a pretty familiar western ranchers vs. the little guy story, but the film overcomes the weak story and weak characterizations with the gorgeous Australian setting and Selleck (about as quintessentially "American" an actor as you can get) being perfectly cast. Add in a rousing score by Basil Poledouris and you have a solidly entertaining western.
December 23, 2014
Just implausible enough to actually be possible. Some great cinematography.
September 12, 2014
I believe this is Selleck's best movie......fine story and fine performances.
½ September 3, 2014
A largely unknown film that has the typical American Cowboy but the not so common Australian Outback.

Tom Sellek has an undeniable presence on screen & I'm surprised he didn't have a more fruitful career...he is very underrated.

Simon Wincer directed this film well with great shots & great blend of drama, action & at time humour. Much better than one would expect.
July 25, 2014
7/25/2014: Meh. An ok movie. Nothing all that great or memorable though.
½ July 18, 2014
"Quigley Down Under" is a handsome film, well-acted, and it's a shame the filmmakers didn't spend a little more energy on making it smarter and more original.
Cameron W. Johnson
½ June 16, 2014
"Winchester P.I."! Some guy named Quigley sounds like he would have a moustache, and sure enough, the filmmakers, clearly realizing this, went all-out and got Mr. Tom Selleck himself, although that might be because when I say that Quigley sounds like the name of a moustache guy, I mean one of the twirly moustaches, because that is one cheesy name, and you're not about to call Tom Selleck cheesy, are you? I mean, seriously, save the fact that he's Tom Selleck, because the fact that he's in Australia is cool enough, and note that I said he's "in" Australia, rather than an Australian himself, because if they were trying to keep Selleck from looking cheesy, they weren't about to allow him to try an Australian accent. Actually, Selleck could ham up that accent all he wants, because once he stepped next to Alan Rickman, he would sound as though he's underplaying the accent, and Rickman isn't even Australian; he's just that thickly accented in general. You know, come to think of it, there really aren't a whole lot of Aussie's in this film's featured cast, so this "outback western" seems to be getting everything down, even down to showing up just in time to miss the peak of the 1980s' Aussie invasion. Well, it may have taken them until 1990, but I knew that the Australians were going to end up claiming America's western film industry, as much as they ruled the hard and alternative rock radios of the '80s, and I only wish that the result would be a better film. Now, don't get me wrong, the film is decent, but it's not "Tom Selleck in Australia" cool, for a number of reasons.

First off, the film is pretty cheesy, as one might fear it would be, boasting some over-the-top set pieces and more than a few lame instances of comic relief, while even allowing storytelling itself to get a little corny. By that, I mean that the film is also narratively superficial, with thin characterization and some overblown conflicts to beget some glaring subtlety issues, as well as a predictability which is intense enough with storytelling conventions taken out of account. This outback western is a refreshing idea, but its interpretation if near-trite, with stereotypical character types behind a formulaic plot that doesn't even take its many, many tropes from especially engaging narrative formulas. This is more-or-less yet another inconsequential, extreme '90s Hollywood western, with a basic adventure story concept which is ultimately rather forgettable, and, quite frankly, would be more endearing if its execution was tighter. The film ultimately comes down to an approximate runtime of two hours, and considering that I just got down ranting about the thinness of the narrative, it should come as no surprise that the final product well outstays its welcome, for although entertainment value is never lost along the way, momentum really takes a beating the more storytelling drags its feet with filler and overblown material. There really is some solid potential here, but in theme, for when it comes to the molding of a film around such a theme, there's really nothing special here, thus, the final product falls flat as, at the very least, forgettable. With that said, as sheer filler, this film is well worth at least most of two hours, with color that extends from lively storytelling to even a lively soundtrack.

Basil Poledouris' score is very formulaic, and yet, it's still among the strongest aspects of the film, with a colorful dynamicity that nonetheless rarely abates on a distinctly '90s sweep which captures a sense of adventure, whose immersion value is supplemented by art direction by Ian Gracie that distinguishes an Australian landscape, while doing a fine job of incorporating enough Old West elements to craft a unique environment. Like I said, the idea behind this important phase in the popularization of the "outback western", or, if you will, the "meat pie western" (Get it, because meat pies are popular in Australia, like how [u]spaghetti[/u] is popular in Italy? Western enthusiasts ought to get it) is unique, it's just that its execution isn't, but only in storytelling, as the art direction is endearing in its uniqueness, as surely as John Hill's script proves to be endearing, in spite of a lack of uniqueness. Cheesy, thin, overdrawn and all around formulaic, Hill's screenplay is lazy in a lot of ways, yet far from colorless on the whole, delivering on plenty of decent humor and lively set pieces, brought to life by direction that is just as lively. Simon Wincer delivers on a solid orchestration of action to punctuate a solid orchestration of subtle stylization and color which sustains color through and through, surprisingly never to let up. The film is inconsequential, as I've said time and again, but it's still a lot of fun, or at least charming, largely thanks to the charisma found on the screen. Acting material is generally flat, but the performances are still about as memorable as anything, whether they be by the typically chillingly charismatic Alan Rickman as a clichéd corrupt man of power, or by the sometimes surprisingly dramatically effective Laura San Giacomo as an emotionally and mentally unstable young woman, or by Tom Selleck as, well, himself, complete with dynamite charm and a solid protagonistic presence. There's a lot about this film that's pretty endearing, and while the final product is ultimately inconsequential, it is indeed entertaining enough to hold your attention just fine, even if it can't quite keep a firm grip on your memory.

Overall, cheese is found in both fluffy filler and superficial material that isn't even either unique or meaty, yet still overdrawn in storytelling, until the final product falls as underwhelming, but hardly a waste of time to be forgotten, thanks to the sweeping score work, unique art direction, colorful writing and direction, and charming performances that make "Quigley Down Under" a thoroughly entertaining, if inconsequential outback western.

2.5/5 - Fair
April 16, 2014
I thought this was a pretty good movie. It had a cowboys vs Indians feel, and also a love story to boot. When looking from a biological point of view, it has some aspects relating to natural history. Overall, I gave this movie a four. Four out of five for entertainment, and four out of five for scientific value.
March 22, 2014
Not perfect, but well above average. The critics should go back and review this one again. Tom Selleck as the hero, Alan Rickman as the villain and Laura San Giacomo as comic-relief. It just doesn't get much better.
February 24, 2014
Apparently, 44% of the critics just hate westerns because this is a fresh take on the Atypical western. Good movie.
December 31, 2013
Quigley Down Under is one of the great, underrated westerns. I don't why critics weren't so fond of it, considering that contains pretty much everything anyone could want from a western. There's a sweeping storyline with important messages, romance, thrilling action, hilarious humor, heartfelt moments, and great acting across the board. The film both engaged me in ways that made me think, but it also let me have a lot of fun while watching it because of the humor and the charisma of the actors. I can't think of a single part that was dull, any overly emotional scenes, or any humor that wasn't funny. I feel that it accomplished what it set out to do perfectly. While I may not watch westerns often, I am seeing that I need to watch them more because of great ones like this one. This is also a case where the critics got it wrong, because this is a great western.