Quigley Down Under Reviews

• Oct 30, 2020

This movie is bad. The plot is boring, the characters are often wandering without clear purpose. They needed a clearer end game for Quigley in particular. A waste of talent, with Alan Rickman as the villian and Tom Selleck as our dashing lead. Selleck is almost too attractive, it is distracting, and he towers over all his costars. I had to look up high height while watching because he looks 7 feet tall (hes 6'4"). The movie was cheesy and lacked the magic of Indiana Jones, which it is clearly trying to imitate. It did make me feel that Selleck could have pulled off that iconic role he missed out on, despite the fact no one could do it better than Harrison Ford. I think a MacGuffin or clearer goal the characters were racing towards would have helped move the plot along.

• Sep 14, 2020

A solid and mildly creative, if not particularly amazing, take on the traditional Western, incorporating a new landscape and a bit of novelty in the motivations of its protagonist and the depth of the damsel character. Rickman is just so great at playing the villain, so charismatically vile, that you can't help but wish that more of the runtime featured his mustachioed machinations than fights in the desert with generic henchmen. (3/5)

• Aug 28, 2020

Great film with a stellar cast. The winding plot keeps you engaged and is satisfying to the end. Not sure why it gets such a low score.

• Aug 27, 2020

a great blockbuster western which I think is underrated This was before typecasting Ben Mendelsohn was cool and Tom Selleck gives a great performance and the writing makes Quigley a Badass.

• Aug 15, 2020

It's insane that critics disliked this movie; this is OBJECTIVELY one of the BEST Westerns ever made! Great acting, great writing, cinematography, story, themes, the MUSIC... great everything! Ten times better than 'Unforgiven' which critics loved... go figure.

• Jul 18, 2020

Nothing new but it is sure to entertain.

Nothing new but it is sure to entertain.

• Jun 25, 2020

Talk about critically underrated! This is one of my FAVORITE Westerns (even though it takes place in Australia) and definitely my favorite Tom Selleck film. Quigley is a rifleman hired by British cattle rancher Alan Rickman to kill Aboriginal people near his ranch in Australia. When Quigley refuses he is forced to fight for his life against an army of armed settlement. Laura San Giacomo adds humor and drama as Crazy Cora, a prostitute with PTSD that befriends Quigley. I never get tired of watching this movie, truly awesome and WAY underrated.

• May 31, 2020

Such a well-done film. Tom Selleck as the white hat, and Alan Rickman as the black hat. A match-up made in Heaven!

• May 05, 2020

Easily, one of the most boring "westerns" I have ever watched. Shootouts with a long range rifle in a western simply do not have the same impact as with a six-shooter. Couple that with a slow speed chase across the outback and a "romance" with a crazy woman, and there is just not much to offer here.

• Mar 29, 2020

Selleck does a solid job as a principled cowboy who runs afoul of a murderous Australian rancher. Highlights are Quigley's prowess with his rifle and an animated performance by the female lead. Alan Rickman does his usual sneering best as the bad guy.