Quiz Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Quiz Show Reviews

May 18, 2017
A movie about how curropted the entertainment business is. Very interesting. No wonder I hadn't heard of it until now.
March 4, 2017
After a first watch I gave it 3 stars but I didn't review it. Probably because I didn't know what to say. My opinion hasn't changed, and I still cannot say anything interesting on it.
January 27, 2017
I loved this when it came out. I thought they did a great job of building the tension and making you feel for the characters, despite what could have been less than exciting subject matter.
½ January 20, 2017
Smartly written and well-acted, Robert Redford's Quiz Show brings up some moral issues around its compelling real-life story.
January 11, 2017
This look at the rigging of game shows in the 1950's is simply engrossing from beginning to end. Outstanding.
January 8, 2017
Based on a true story and largely accurate, I found this film sad and also a general commentary of what tv and entertainment has become. This reminded me of the Network, but I liked this a lot better. If anything I think the American public demands even more a facade today. Look at whats popular: "reality tv," the Kardashians, celebrities with the best plastic surgery, filtered photographs on social media, singers who lip sync....etc. No one wants the truth for entertainment-thats boring. even when you know the stuff is fake we still like it. For instance, ive read memoirs that have turned out to have parts fabricated but i still liked the book. It just leaves a sour taste tho in your mouth and definitely is disappointing to find out. In any case, i liked the film better as it went on and dealt with more complicated issues like how this would affect the "little guys," questioning what does the public truly want, dealing with an accomplished family, and how no one seemed to tell the truth even Herbie. It does make me question other quiz shows, but while I now believe a lot of them have to be rigged to a certain extent and faked-I think this one was over the top fraud. It just gets you thinking a lot about how much fakery we allow and isnt even taboo anymore. Important movie and even more relevant today. At least, i think the public does deserve to know its fake if it is and then let us decide if we still like it. Especially this fake crap seems to be more dangerous nowadays with political news thats completely factitious and circles around social media as fact when no sources have been checked first.
December 19, 2016
"Quiz Show" provides interesting insight into the Twenty One quiz show scandal that occurred in the 1950's. Director Robert Redford's recreation dramatizes these events and preserves the simplicity of this time period for the next generation. We have seen a renaissance of game shows thanks to the "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" phenomenon and the subsequent rise of reality-based programming, but "Quiz Show" captures the fascination with trivia and knowledge in pre-Google America. It also transports us into a time of morality where the idea of a reality show being scripted or rigged was foreign to trusting audiences. The film itself moves fairly slow but it builds enough curiosity about the story's resolution that we anxiously anticipate the ending. The best part of this film is John Turturro. He often plays character roles which makes him perfect as Herb Stempel. It would be easy to look like a bad actor in this purposely mundane role but Turturro's unique voice and appearance make the character interesting while the delivery is appropriately boring. Ironically, Ralph Fiennes plays a slightly more interesting character but his delivery comes off as boring. Rob Morrow brings the necessary energy to the detective role to advance the film and Christopher McDonald has the right look to be a game show host. The film earned several Oscar nominations including Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor for Paul Scofield, though the latter is more likely based on his reputation than his actual performance. Overall, I don't see "Quiz Show" as a film worthy to be represented at the Oscars but I appreciate the story and the preservation of this important television scandal.
½ December 2, 2016
3.5/5. It kept me intrigued until the end, but I kept thinking that it was dragging on. A great story and great acting, nonetheless.
November 22, 2016
A riveting film about the dirty truth behind the rigged quiz shows, and the lengths the network went to in order to keep it under wraps. Phenomenal performances by John Turturro, Rob Morrow and Ralph Fiennes.
½ October 27, 2016
Quiz Show is a rarity in films based on a true story, because it never feels like the filmmakers are trying to adapt the history in order to make a more dramatic movie. In fact, my biggest complaint about the film is that there are no real surprises and it feels a bit flat and lacking in heart. But the presentation of the events seems authentic and I love this behind the scenes look at how corruption can tempt even the most honest of men. Perhaps if they had framed the entire movie around the story of Charles Van Doren it would have been more grounded in emotion, and drama. Instead they kind of split the movie's focus between Charles Van Doren, Herbert Stempel, and Dick Goodwin. Each of them did play a significant role in the history of this scandal, so I don't have a problem with them being a major player, but the way we spend time getting to know all three of them separately makes Quiz Show feel more like a documentary than a dramatic film. The cast was brilliant almost completely across the board. I particularly loved what David Paymer and Hank Azaria did as TV executives working on the show, and Christopher McDonald was perfection as the TV personality hosting the show. I remembered enjoying Quiz Show more when I saw it 20+ years ago, but this time it didn't impact me as much because I knew what was coming. Because the script is more event-driven rather than character-driven, knowing the film takes away most of the excitement of watching.
October 16, 2016
I can never tire of this movie.
October 16, 2016
As an old school game show fan I think I held this to a higher standard and Robert Redford met them all. A fantastic cast matches the true to life story of the quiz show cheating scandals of the 1950s. It's a piece of history depicted to near perfection.
October 14, 2016
Just watched this movie again. I can't believe I first saw this movie when I was 10 years old! Great acting, well written, and captivating. This movie is a classic.
½ October 6, 2016
With a fine cast, strong direction, and important questions about morality in the presence of money, Robert Redford's "Quiz Show" is a taut, entertaining dramatization of the scandal surrounding NBC's quiz show "Twenty One."
½ October 1, 2016
Not a single bad performance!
August 16, 2016
Perfectly acted, beautifuly scripted and richly directed, Quiz Show makes the viewer think about choices and moral fiber; represented by a real historic event.
August 11, 2016
Captures the rise of television as part of the political-industrial complex in a way that few are able to see clearly now.
½ July 3, 2016
A pretty simple story that is really dragged out in this film. TV executives rig a quiz show to ensure that the contenders suit the target market. This was a scandal at the time but nobody would bat an eyelid these days; it goes on so much it's pretty much accepted.
June 17, 2016
Dramatizing possibly the biggest scandal in television history, "Quiz Show" shows what people will do for the sake of money and ratings.
May 5, 2016
Shining Light on the Darkness of Television Scandals-"Quiz Show" Movie Review

The movie "Quiz Show" is a pseudo-documentary following the course of a television scandal where the popular 50s game show "Twenty-One", a show where contestants were asked to answer a set of questions only the most intellectually proficient of individuals would be able to answer with the goal of accumulating twenty-one points, is examined judicially. This suspense evoking nail-biter of a film exploits NBC's greatest scandal in an artistic and tasteful manner!
Initially, Charles Van Doren, played by Ralph Fiennes, does a fabulous job at executing the role of a guilty bread winner. Throughout the film, Ralph Fiennes demonstrated a high amount of proficiency in upholding his emotional connection to his role. There is honestly nothing bad to be said about Ralph Fiennes' execution of the character of Charles Van Doren. He displayed strength and consistency throughout the entire film as well as showing the audience just how well he can tap into his emotions to convey his feelings through a character in a fictional setting. Moreover, John Turturro, the actor who played Herb Stempel (the scapegoat of the film) also did an equally outstanding job of playing his role of the underdog to jewish hero! He was comical, he was insane, and he added a touch of "Hollywood" to a role that could potentially come across as brash and annoying; a true star! He managed to make the role of Herb Stempel relatable to anyone who has been used as a pawn in life and he did it all with style.
The themes of Anti-Semitism and the seductive quality of stardom were particularly well developed and thought out. After ratings plateau and Herb Stempel was kicked off of the show, he was subject to discrimination by the judicial system that claimed he was mentally unstable; likewise, NBC did not uphold their promise to give him his own platform show after being forced to lose his round on the game show to Charles Van Doren. Furthermore, Charles Van Doren found himself slowly being seduced by his hunger for fortune and fame when he starts to play along with NBC's shenanigans. Charles Van Doren allowed NBC to deceive the public into thinking he was the be-all end-all when it came to scholars even though he never won a single round on the show without being fed answers. Foreshadowing was something that was not taken lightly in this film, it was done in many ways each just as subtle as the next. My personal favourite was when Charles Van Doren was walking down the winding staircase, the scene was shot from a crane angle foreshadowing his succumbing the evil of show business, as well as foreshadowing his slow and painful downfall from hero back to zero.
Overall, the movie was delivered in a user friendly fashion that appeals to a vast audience; there was something for everybody. There was a insane yet humorous Jewish game show reject to amuse the children, while the adults were entertained by some corporate corruption! All-in-all the film was an accurate representation of a famous NBC scandal and the production crew did a fabulous job at making it an accessible topic for the general public to enjoy and appreciate for years to come.