Quiz Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Quiz Show Reviews

September 11, 2017
Heavily overlooked in a great year for movies in 1994
½ September 3, 2017
Robert Redford's 'Quiz Show' is a perfectly serviceable telling of this scandal from the 1950s about game show shenanigans. Like the scandal it depicts, the movie very consequential but its well put together with solid performances throughout.

And young Ralph Fiennes? Hubba hubba!
August 28, 2017
Twenty years on, revisited this on a Ryanair flight. Stands up really well. Looks amazing, and Turturro, Fiennes and Scofield never better.
August 19, 2017
My Favorite Film Of All Time Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
July 10, 2017
Easily Redford's best directorial effort. A bit heavy handed in spots but the movie leaves you feeling just the right amount of disappointment with humanity.
June 30, 2017
It's movies like this that make 90's the best film decade. It's not your Godfather and it's not your Shawnshank Redemption. It's movies like THIS that go under the radar because the quantity of awesomeness in one decade is just too overpowering.
June 25, 2017
Story about two guys who lie and cheat on a television quiz show. But its about much more than that. One of my all-time favovites. Redford did a great job.
May 18, 2017
A movie about how curropted the entertainment business is. Very interesting. No wonder I hadn't heard of it until now.
March 4, 2017
After a first watch I gave it 3 stars but I didn't review it. Probably because I didn't know what to say. My opinion hasn't changed, and I still cannot say anything interesting on it.
January 27, 2017
I loved this when it came out. I thought they did a great job of building the tension and making you feel for the characters, despite what could have been less than exciting subject matter.
½ January 20, 2017
Smartly written and well-acted, Robert Redford's Quiz Show brings up some moral issues around its compelling real-life story.
January 11, 2017
This look at the rigging of game shows in the 1950's is simply engrossing from beginning to end. Outstanding.
January 8, 2017
Based on a true story and largely accurate, I found this film sad and also a general commentary of what tv and entertainment has become. This reminded me of the Network, but I liked this a lot better. If anything I think the American public demands even more a facade today. Look at whats popular: "reality tv," the Kardashians, celebrities with the best plastic surgery, filtered photographs on social media, singers who lip sync....etc. No one wants the truth for entertainment-thats boring. even when you know the stuff is fake we still like it. For instance, ive read memoirs that have turned out to have parts fabricated but i still liked the book. It just leaves a sour taste tho in your mouth and definitely is disappointing to find out. In any case, i liked the film better as it went on and dealt with more complicated issues like how this would affect the "little guys," questioning what does the public truly want, dealing with an accomplished family, and how no one seemed to tell the truth even Herbie. It does make me question other quiz shows, but while I now believe a lot of them have to be rigged to a certain extent and faked-I think this one was over the top fraud. It just gets you thinking a lot about how much fakery we allow and isnt even taboo anymore. Important movie and even more relevant today. At least, i think the public does deserve to know its fake if it is and then let us decide if we still like it. Especially this fake crap seems to be more dangerous nowadays with political news thats completely factitious and circles around social media as fact when no sources have been checked first.
December 19, 2016
"Quiz Show" provides interesting insight into the Twenty One quiz show scandal that occurred in the 1950's. Director Robert Redford's recreation dramatizes these events and preserves the simplicity of this time period for the next generation. We have seen a renaissance of game shows thanks to the "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" phenomenon and the subsequent rise of reality-based programming, but "Quiz Show" captures the fascination with trivia and knowledge in pre-Google America. It also transports us into a time of morality where the idea of a reality show being scripted or rigged was foreign to trusting audiences. The film itself moves fairly slow but it builds enough curiosity about the story's resolution that we anxiously anticipate the ending. The best part of this film is John Turturro. He often plays character roles which makes him perfect as Herb Stempel. It would be easy to look like a bad actor in this purposely mundane role but Turturro's unique voice and appearance make the character interesting while the delivery is appropriately boring. Ironically, Ralph Fiennes plays a slightly more interesting character but his delivery comes off as boring. Rob Morrow brings the necessary energy to the detective role to advance the film and Christopher McDonald has the right look to be a game show host. The film earned several Oscar nominations including Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor for Paul Scofield, though the latter is more likely based on his reputation than his actual performance. Overall, I don't see "Quiz Show" as a film worthy to be represented at the Oscars but I appreciate the story and the preservation of this important television scandal.
½ December 2, 2016
3.5/5. It kept me intrigued until the end, but I kept thinking that it was dragging on. A great story and great acting, nonetheless.
November 22, 2016
A riveting film about the dirty truth behind the rigged quiz shows, and the lengths the network went to in order to keep it under wraps. Phenomenal performances by John Turturro, Rob Morrow and Ralph Fiennes.
½ October 27, 2016
Quiz Show is a rarity in films based on a true story, because it never feels like the filmmakers are trying to adapt the history in order to make a more dramatic movie. In fact, my biggest complaint about the film is that there are no real surprises and it feels a bit flat and lacking in heart. But the presentation of the events seems authentic and I love this behind the scenes look at how corruption can tempt even the most honest of men. Perhaps if they had framed the entire movie around the story of Charles Van Doren it would have been more grounded in emotion, and drama. Instead they kind of split the movie's focus between Charles Van Doren, Herbert Stempel, and Dick Goodwin. Each of them did play a significant role in the history of this scandal, so I don't have a problem with them being a major player, but the way we spend time getting to know all three of them separately makes Quiz Show feel more like a documentary than a dramatic film. The cast was brilliant almost completely across the board. I particularly loved what David Paymer and Hank Azaria did as TV executives working on the show, and Christopher McDonald was perfection as the TV personality hosting the show. I remembered enjoying Quiz Show more when I saw it 20+ years ago, but this time it didn't impact me as much because I knew what was coming. Because the script is more event-driven rather than character-driven, knowing the film takes away most of the excitement of watching.
October 16, 2016
I can never tire of this movie.
October 16, 2016
As an old school game show fan I think I held this to a higher standard and Robert Redford met them all. A fantastic cast matches the true to life story of the quiz show cheating scandals of the 1950s. It's a piece of history depicted to near perfection.
October 14, 2016
Just watched this movie again. I can't believe I first saw this movie when I was 10 years old! Great acting, well written, and captivating. This movie is a classic.