Raise the Titanic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Raise the Titanic Reviews

June 15, 2016
Although it lacks the action that any Dirk Pitt fan would want to see in a movie the scene when the Titanic is raised is probably one of the best movie moments ever.
November 23, 2015
This is one of the worst movies, but the book was great!
½ May 24, 2015
I've a soft spot for dopey underwater adventures but this is pretty ridiculous. Boring but fun?
½ January 16, 2015
I had read every available book about the Titanic up to the release date of this movie since I had learned how to read at age 4, so I was excited to go see if the movie would be as entertaining as the book by Clive Cussler.

Now I understand why it took another 25 + years before Cussler let another director butcher one of his books.

For instance, one of the most dramatic scenes in the book - where the Russians board the ship in a hurricane and the accompanying action - were replaced by the " Look you Russkie! - Right over yonder is one of our submarines and a couple of F-14s are here too, so you better be nice!" scene.

Underwater scenes were scaled so bad it was almost impossible to think there wasn't an invisible kid playing in his bathtub with the models. Watching the scene where the Titanic comes back to the surface was about the only memorable part of the movie.

Alec Guiness does good job as an old Titanic survivor, and the soundtrack is actually pretty engaging.

So if you have a few hours to kill for a great sea yarn, then by all means... watch "Mutiny on the Bounty" with Laughton and Gable. Except for the afore-mentioned points - this movie sucks. I wonder what James Cameron could have done with the book...?
½ October 19, 2014
Totally inaccurate!!
½ September 21, 2014
I liked the movie, but I did not like the ending:(
July 7, 2014
I thought it was great! you need to think of it as before Camerons version...
May 9, 2014
One of, if not the, worst movie about the Titanic. Of course it has to involve the Russians, and how they want the Titanic, like every movie of the time, finding a way to integrate the 'bad' Russians into the movie. One of the worst things about this movie, is how they don't even really care for the Titanic, all they want with it is the material hidden inside of it so they can built a superweapon. Bobody seems to care about the ship itself, all they want is the material and that's that. The first 50 minutes just bored me, it simply wasn't very interesting, noting of significance happened, and it was dull. The rest after that got better, and the best and coolest part of the movie is when the Titanic rose to the surface, and my favorite part, when it broke through the surface in slow motion. That was the only real thing that I found really cool, and after a brief celebration, it was all about the Russians again. But rear the end when the intact ship was towed into New York, were it should have arrived had it not sunk, because it was cool watching it finally finish its infamous maiden voyage. The movie really shows the scale of ship well, but it's too bad the movie turned out how it did. It was an extremely expensive movie to produce, and it shows, but it also shows why the producers didnt get anywhere near making a profit. So not a very good movie, in terms of cinematography, excitement, or realism, because nothing that happened could have ever happened in real life. It's also from a different perspective than we are now used to, because this movie was made before the Titanic was discovered, and the ship is now in two pieces, not the intact and perfect ship the movie portrays it as. Just a fake, unbelievable movie in every way possible. Watch the 1997 Titanic instead
½ April 15, 2014
Based on the Clive Cussler best-selling novel, Raise the Titanic is an exciting Cold War thriller. While tracking down a shipment of a rare mineral with military potential, retired Navy captain Dirk Pitt discovers that it was lost in the sinking of the RMS Titanic in 1912, leading him to propose the impossible...Raise the Titanic. It's a fairly interesting story that's full of mystery and intrigue; especially given that this fictional account of Titanic's discover and raising was written before the real-life discovery in 1985. Additionally, the model work and set designs are rather impressive, as is the film's score. Raise the Titanic is a little contrived at times, but it's also a fun piece of pulp fiction.
½ October 29, 2013
There isn't too much wrong with the story of Raise the Titanic, but it tacks on too much excess and not enough life.
½ January 7, 2013
actually find it quite original and enjoyable film
December 30, 2012
this is a great film ... made before they found the ship in 2 bits . watch it just for the moment the ship comes up ..... the best music ever !!!!!!
TheDudeLebowski65
½ September 13, 2012
Based on the Clive Cussler novel of the same name, Raise the Titanic is an underrated adventure film. If you're looking for an exciting film to watch with an engaging plot, then give this film a shot, it is far better than what most people have said about the film. I read the book and loved it, and I have to say, I don't see why this film has gotten so much flack. The cast here do a good job in their roles, and Richard Jordon is a very good Dirk Pitt. This is an entertaining film that has an engaging story and effective directing. I really enjoyed the film, and thought it was a very thrilling film that shouldn't be easily dismissed. The actors do a fine job here and they make the film an enjoyable ride. This is a very well done film that should be seen if you loved the book. A much underrated film, Raise the Titanic has its flaws, but it definitely is always thrilling and exciting because of the fact that its plot is a salvage crew raises the great liner that sank in 1912. This one of those 80's films that should be seen, as adventure films like this were fun, unique, always thrilling, very well acted and engaging. Don't believe the poor reviews of this film, Raise the Titanic is a must for adventure fans. Give this film a shot; you may be surprised at how good it really is. A well thought out film and one of the most underrated films I've seen in quite some time. If you love adventure films, be sure to hunt this one down, it's worth it.
July 9, 2012
The Titanic is raised from her watery grave.
July 6, 2012
I remember watching this stinker after reading the book. I went with my father-in-law and brother-oin-law who both read the book. I wanted to stand up at the end and scream, "It didn't end like that!" It was truly awful!
Sahara was a much better translation from book to screen.
June 15, 2012
There's bad and then there's Raise the TITANIC. My only secret wish is that someday this becomes a feature over at Cinematic Titantic.
½ April 29, 2012
The effects for the time are pretty good which is unfortunate since the plot and direction fall short leaving a dry taste in the mouth. An intriguing misfire that becomes more ludicrous as the story unfolds.
April 15, 2012
Hackneyed adventure yarn that was a box office bomb and embarrassment in its day. Then it got worse a few years later when the Titanic was found and had broken in half. Then the already half-assed plot about raising a whole ship (and sailing it again!) was rendered even more idiotic.