Red Hook Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Hook Summer Reviews

March 21, 2017
poignant & thought provoking.
½ December 9, 2015
spike shines a light on another part of black culture the born agains and jesus freaks but this pic is a hodge podge of other better lee flicks like 'do the right thing' and 'crooklyn" even spike reprises his role as mookie the pizza delivery guy from 'do the right thing'
February 20, 2015
I don't know what I liked about this movie, but I did like it
February 11, 2015
What a complete mess this film is. Terrible terrible joint indeed. Acting is really bad, but that's what you can expect from kids. The adults aren't too great either. Clockers, Do the Right Thing, He got Game, Malcolm X, Summer of Sam, Crooklyn and even Inside Man are great Spike Lee joints! Hell, Miracle at St. Anna is even better than this. The only thing I enjoyed was the acting of Thomas Jefferson Byrd! As always he plays interesting characters. Spike said he won't watch Django Unchained because it would be disrespectful to his ancestors, but he disrespected them by making this flick.
½ December 13, 2014
God wants us to love.

A young boy from Atlanta is dropped off in New York with his minister grandfather. His grandfather is also from Atlanta but some years ago he came to a church in Brooklyn that has quickly run down and is desperate for money. The grandfather hopes to one day land a benefactor that will help him with his bills. Meanwhile, the young boy becomes best friend with the daughter of a member of the church. The member of the church has feelings for the grandfather, causing fascinating interactions between the four characters.

"You're right, I don't like you...I love you."

Spike Lee, director of X, School Daze, Do the Right Thing, Inside Man, She Hate Me, Girl 6, Clockers, Jungle Fever, and She's Gotta Have It, delivers Red Hook Summer. The storyline for this picture is fascinating and starts with a wonderful coming of age story with interesting character development. The movie takes an interesting twist at the end and then ends abruptly. The acting is very good and the cast includes Jules Brown, Turron Kofi Alleyne, De'Adre Aziza, Jonathan Batiste, Sumayya Ali, and Limary Agosto.

"You molested me!"

I've actually always wanted to see this film but never got around to watching it. I found it on Netflix and finally viewed this picture and it was better and deeper than I anticipated. Lee continues to deliver an amazing New York feel throughout the movie while delivering a clever plot twist. I would have given this a ten if it had a better ending. This is definitely worth a viewing.

"Hell to the naw."

Grade: A
October 5, 2014
As much as I enjoyed Clarke Peters's performance, this was a movie that felt like a pale imitation of Lee's groundbreaking early work. It could easily have been half an hour shorter, and it would have been more powerful for it--too much needless exposition in the early going. The child acting was barely competent and the pacing was off; the plot twist didn't feel earned. Still showed decent flashes of the old Lee's thematic territory--disillusionment with the American dream, particularly in the wake of the 2008 economic crisis--and had some stellar stylistic flourishes near the end, but these pluses just weren't enough to save the film.
April 30, 2014
Mookie's still delivering pizzas on the block.
½ April 14, 2014
The allegations of pedophilia levied against Enoch derailed the focus of the entire film. From that point onward it meanders towards a resolution that feels perfunctory.
Harlequin68
March 7, 2014
In "Red Hook Summer," Colleen(De'Adre Aziza) drops her thirteen year old son Flik(Jules Brown) off in Brooklyn to spend the summer with her father, Enoch(Clarke Peters), a Baptist preacher and boiler repairman. None of which is to Flik's liking, starting with the accommodations. And then there is the lack of air conditioning, the non-vegan food and most importantly the lack of television. All of which he records faithfully with his Ipad 2. At least, there are the sunday school snacks which he consumes with his new friend Chazz(Toni Lysaith).

Even with a shocking third act plot twist that is more Old Testament than New Testament, "Red Hook Summer" is more often than not an evocative look at a boy's expanding his boundaries, both physically and mentally. And a very good performance from Clarke Peters certainly helps matters. But like with other of his recent movies, Spike Lee has a lot easier time with what he wants to say, than in how he says it which is usually just as important, even with the occasional directorial flourish.(It should come as no surprise how little difference there is between a rant and a sermon.) An example of this is on the subject of gentrification as the neighborhood of Red Hook does not come alive on screen like it should have.
December 4, 2013
Damn that shit even sounds like it sucks
½ November 24, 2013
A middle-class boy from Atlanta is forced to spend the summer with his deeply religious grandfather in a poor housing project in Red Hook, Brooklyn. Spike Lee wrote and directed this boring tale.This rambling tale got very tiresome. Did Spike Lee turn anti-religion? The story turn even uglier with a twists that comes out of nowhere.I'm uncertain about what is happening to Spike Lee. After good big successes of the 90s and the 2000s, is he on the road to big time experimentation? What is going on? I don't get it.This movie was a mess. Maybe it's some kind of personal project. But even then, I'd expect more skills than he showed here.
½ November 16, 2013
'Red Hook Summer' is actually a solid drama, and filled with great performances, despite what critics say.

Mid-way gets a little far fetched, but that's always been apart of Spike Lee's craft.

A good entry in his 'Chronicles Of Brooklyn' series.

See it or skip it.
September 25, 2013
That is the last time i listen to my brother for movie advice
½ September 9, 2013
Spike Lee's latest film begins with an interesting premise: what happens when a young kind from Atlanta visits his Christian grandfather in Brooklyn (Red Hook Neighborhood)? The dialogue of faith in this community certain is intriguing even if other plot points (like why the kid would go all the way to Brooklyn) aren't really even developed. With about 40 minutes left in the movie, Lee brings the shock factor and so much of a shock factor that the movie never really recovers. The powder keg topic that is brought to bear never gives the audience a guide for how to think about it. I realize sometimes art deals with the complexities of life and that there are not easy solutions, but this topic and its affect on the characters is not developed well at all. This really could have been a great film if a stronger script had been involved.
½ August 4, 2013
Red Hook Summer is a meandering film that's heavy handed climax comes out of nowhere, uncomfortably changing the tone of the film. The dialogue for the children seemed very outdated and unnatural; making me wonder if Spike Lee has became too disconnected to the youth of urban culture.
July 28, 2013
Disappointing pseudo-guerrilla-fare. For an authentic treatment of this theme try : The Way Home (Jibeuro - 2002) from South Korea.
½ July 1, 2013
I actually spent the majority of this one fighting the urge to give up on it. The acting and writing were both at times atrocious. But the surprise twist that the critics here seem to hate pulled me back into it. Especially strange considering Spike is notorious for his bad endings.
½ May 30, 2013
Red Hook Summer starts out impossible to tell whether its largest flaw is in the corny dialogue, the abysmal acting, or the heavy, pretentious directing. As the movie goes on, you realize that is truly is a group effort.
April 21, 2013
I don't know if this was just Spike's vision, but the acting was really bad.