Resident Evil: Retribution - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: Retribution Reviews

January 15, 2017
A little better than prior sequels, but still more of the same. Fans will be pleased
jamrcla
½ January 13, 2017
A good 5th part, The story was a little different and weird but it sets it up for the final showdown, The action was entertaining and the 3D was used well in most of the film, It was nice to see even more characters from the games in the film, The effects were pretty good, I don't really care about acting in most of the films I watch but I have to say in some places even I cringed it was that wooden but who cares in these sort of films, If you're a fan of the film series then you won't be disappointed.
½ January 3, 2017
Disgrace for the game
½ January 1, 2017
Sigh...this series just keeps getting worse and worse. Nonsensical violence and macho b.s.
December 20, 2016
Fantasy movie now I can't wait for the final chapter now that I am all cough up with all the resident Evil movies
December 20, 2016
This movie has so little too offer even the most dedicated Resident Evil fan, short of a massive list of iconic characters it literally brings nothing else to the table. The plot is incomprehensible and seems to almost negate the relevance of the older films.

I expected this to be another fun "guilty pleasure" action movie set in one of my favorite franchises in the video game world, sadly it is an utter disappointment.
½ October 30, 2016
Good apocalyptic adventure movie. Worth the watch!
½ October 23, 2016
??????1/2
A pesar de las críticas, ha sido una de mis favoritas de toda la saga.
La banda sonora hace de esta película, algo demasiado entretenido y épico de ver.
Estoy listo para el capítulo final.
½ October 22, 2016
This film is literally so terrible I cannot be bothered to write about it. About time this franchise was rebooted into something worth seeing...
October 17, 2016
Having spawned 5 movies since 2002, all of which have hit the big screen, one could assume that the Resident Evil Franchise is a runaway success. Except, at some point it got diluted and that watering down continued in Resident Evil: Retribution. Sure, even at the young age of 37, Milla Jovovich still has a ton of sex appeal but that only takes you so far.

Retribution brings back some familiar faces including Michelle Rodriguez and Oded Fehr but their parts are wasted and pointless. With an overdose of CGI, explosions and mutated monsters, you wonder what's the point of it all? Yes, Retribution can draw parallels to a video game format where the protagonist has to make it through levels but....so what? Whats, the, point!?

Paul W.S. Anderson has been at the helm of some entertaining features however one can't help but feel that he fell asleep behind the wheel of Retribution or got really lazy. I'm not sure even the most die-hard resident evil fans would be giving this two thumbs up. This is one to miss.
½ September 21, 2016
While the film boasts intense and fast-paced sequences, the whole film generally feels like a step down from its previous iterations, toting a decent cast line-up, which is ultimately brought down by a sub-par plotline, laughable CGI, shoddy acting and unnecessary fold into the series of "Resident Evil", simply because of Video Game characters now being dragged into it. While It doesn't do the game series any justice, the final future chapter of the series should prove no different.
August 30, 2016
- Milla brings her sexy Ukranian stylings to the 5th installment of the franchise.
- Um. According to the recap, I think I missed one. :(
- Mental note: pennies in shotguns work better than lead shot. At least when she uses them against aircraft.
- Holy crap, Milla's a mom. All kinds of hot. Still wicked capable as she saves her kid from the flesh-eating horde.
- Yes! Michelle Rodriguez. Shit's getting real now.
- Now Milla's naked with just a sheet. A very small sheet. And also in an Umbrella Corp cell. I'm very confused.
- Due to a computer malfunction, she's now dressed in leather & metal. Seems like we've started like a traditional video game.
- Including that wicked awful laser grid that dices humans.
- Using a chain w/padlock as a kusarigama, kicking an ejected magazine into a zombie's head. This is how an Alice do.
- New player: Ada. Always has one very svelte leg showing in her exquisite red dress.
- It's hammer guy and his awful twin brother! How can so many bullets to the head have so little effect?
- So...Leather & Metal clad Alice is looking at the dead Milla-as-a-mom. Surreal.
- Spoken to the gun-toting Michelle Rodriguez casually lounging in the swingset: "There's a child here!" Drolly, Michelle replies "Your problem. Not mine."
- Ewww. Also, Alice just saved her extraction team's bacon. With a blinged out Rolls Royce Phantom sporting spinners.
- Oh damn. Ugly's back. The entire subway system falling on top of him just kinda stunned him a bit.
- If there's anything I've learned from video games, it's to never stand near a barrel of anything in a firefight. Morons.
- That's...that's a warehouse of people. Or "test subjects."
- Oh damn. Ugly's back. The entire clip of bullets fired into his exposed brain just kinda stunned him a bit.
- That is a lot of zombies. Like, masses of legionous hordes.
July 27, 2016
Li BingBing should NOT be in this film. That chink is a terrible actor, very racist, and smells like body odor. Li Bing is also very ugly and too thin to play the role of the heroic Ada Wong (whom is caucasian in real life). That chinese prostitute should have sold her organs to write the film. Bing's bad acting bankrupted a million dolllar film: OMG. Bing should stick to chinese films with no subtitles so we are not burdened with poorly written dialogue. Milla Jovovich is okay, dont get me wrong, but her sidekick Bing should be imprisoned for ruining the franchise.
½ July 25, 2016
What A Dumb Idea to make another one,
30% is too much positive reviews on this.
I don't know why most people i know would attempt to like this!
Resident Evil was bearable,
Resident Evil Apocolypse was slight and worth fun,
Resident Evil Extinction shake too much,
Resident Evil Afterlife was the best sequel,
But This would have been fair if they replaced Jovovich into Scarlett Johanson,
Jovovich is an appalling actress. It's The Worst Of The Worst Resident Evils.

Score: 1/10
½ July 23, 2016
Stupid - just about as awful as you can possibly imagine. This thing can't even make it to a bad "B" rating. Embarrassing for the actors one would think, but then they didn't have much to work with.
½ July 6, 2016
Part 5 of this never ending saga, offers some of the best action sequences we've seen in any of the previous films. However, the storyline is just far too complicated and silly to make for anything more then a late night popcorn flick. At this point I just have to keep watching in hopes the next installment may be better then the first 5.
½ July 4, 2016
Wow, this was positively awful, this garbage is so far removed even from the video games. This is like some cheaply rushed 'Matrix' knock off film at this point. There is no story, just mass mayhem & digital gore, rushed thru each scene.
½ June 4, 2016
¡Qué asco de pelicula! Una gran falta de respeto a los juegos.
Horrible movie... It's a shame and is so disrespectful to the games. Too bad there's no less rank than half stars.
½ June 2, 2016
If you aren't a fan of the films, then... this isn't a movie that you will enjoy. The action scenes are fun and the music is enjoyable. To me, this isn't a movie meant for every single person... this is a movie for fans of the franchise. And unlike an Uwe Bole film adaption, I do feel there is a genuine feel of effort on the part of the cast and crew to make something fun for the fanbase.
½ June 1, 2016
The exacerbating bane of a film critic's life is the annual American summer movie season lull. Hitting exceptionally hard this year, this week movie goers are subjected to the daft in-crowd boys comedy of The Watch, yet another sequel of escape zoo animals in Madagascar 3 and even a fifth episode of a video-game-adaptation of flesh eating zombies in Resident Evil: retribution. It is weeks like this I wish as a kid I was more interested in books than movies...

Exhausted, overdone and over capitalized, the extremely lucrative Resident Evil franchise has simply gone beyond it, and according to RE5's final scene; it's still not over. As indestructible as its badass poster-gal glutton-for-zombie-punishment heroin Alice (Milla Jovovich), Resident Evil always seems to claw its way back (and for some reason squished into a yet another version of its trademark figure-embracing bondage inspired latex suit).

The apt tiles of its predecessors always hinted at the individual installments main theme, Apocalypse, Extinction and Afterlife intertwined the films reasoning and premise. Retribution however lacks this anchor and could easily be replaced with repetition, replication, repeat or even redundant and result in the same effect. Even longtime series fans are reaching saturation point.

Director Paul W.S Anderson (who wrote all five parts and directed three) does a great job of replicating the games artificially lavish stylized imagery but sadly has become too comfortable, no longer feeling the need to push the visual bounds in any way. Feeling generic and recycled, the hyper-violent slow-motion vaults, sprints, summersaults and bullets hurtle themselves through overly familiar computer-simulated locations at each other and the viewers in 3D.

After a unique rewound slow-motion opening, the story is picked up straight after 2010's Afterlife conclusion. An introductory narration by Alice briefly explains that it has been a decade since the evil Umbrella Corporation released the self-evolving T-Virus on humanity, laying the world to waste and transforming its inhabitants into mindless cannibal zombies.

Since then the Immune part-human part-virus (and totally airbrushed) Alice has be besieged by a seemingly never-ending series of unnatural beings, waged war against the insidious conglomerates forces and is plagued by nightmares of her own making.

The hedonistic action shifts to a serene suburban neighborhood where the now average housewife Alice dotes over her hearing-impaired young daughter (Aryana Engineer) whilst her loving husband (Oded Fehr) makes a fool of himself spilling coffee. Abruptly, the obvious dream sequence ends when legions of the undead swarm the house and the real captured Alice shocks awake naked but for two towel strips (pathetically aimed at horny teenage boys) in the sadistic surroundings of an underwater city-simulation compound.

Designed to asses people's resilience and inert abilities, the test facility is comprises of different 'stages' each posing a new vicious threat. Dressing in her usual dominatrix inspired garb and donning an obscenely high amount of military grade artillery, Alice proceeds through the maze at lightning speed (considering her 'superpowers' were repossessed in part 4) to rendezvous with a group of allies, but some unexpected friends provide both help and hindrance to her mission.

Employing convenient plot device of cloning, the film is able to not only able to bring back fallen series favorites, but terminate them again and again in all manner of situations in complete disregard to logic. Fehr, Michelle Rodriguez and Sienna Guillory all reprise their roles in one way or another, satisfying series diehard's nostalgic needs whilst newcomer sidekick Li Bingbing adds fresh blood.

The Verdict: As illogical as a zombie feeding frenzy on a nuclear submarine in artic waters after the end of the world is the fact that there is an endless abundance of leather, bullets and genetic material to create clones seems to be the hard part so swallow. Gravity, storyline and logic all seem to have left the building, and I hate to admit it but I won't be far behind if this series doesn't find either a way to finish or get infinitely.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age