Restrepo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Restrepo Reviews

½ December 3, 2016
Tedious and ultimately disappointing documentary for me.
November 28, 2016
A strong and gripping documentary that gives a great perspective on the men fighting in the war in Afghanistan.
September 2, 2016
Absolutely phenomenal. My words here will not do justice to the movie itself. Go see it.
June 30, 2016
Sebastian Junger, what a brave, brave journalistic filmmaker! His 2007 documentary covers the mission of a band of army soldiers on a mission to rid the Korangal Valley in Afghanistan of the Tabilan. The troops endure constant fire from a barely visible enemy while attempting to aid complicit and innocent villages and capture/free more occupied territory. Comrades die, get wounded, build an outpost in hostile territory surrounded on all sides while trying to maintain their sanity. Their mission, to the extent that it is successful, seems overwhelming and terrifying.. Junger travels with the soldiers directly into combat captured get their time on tour and then cuts to personal interviews once the men have been sent back to Italy. The toll of their perhaps excruciatingly difficult mission ways heavy on the men yet Junger's sympathetic interviews humanize them and attests to their skill, discipline and frailty.
May 12, 2016
Intense, engaging war documentary.

A documentary covering a deployment of Battle Company, 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team in 2007-8. The deployment lasted 15 months and was at one of the most dangerous places on earth - certainly the most dangerous place, at the time, for US forces: the Korengal Valley in Afghanistan. Journalist Sebastian Junger and photojournalist Tim Hetherington was embedded with the 2nd Platoon of B Company and captures their daily lives, the action, the military strategy, the interaction with the community and the tragedy.

An engaging documentary that captures very well the intensity, suddenness and randomness of combat, and what it can do to those involved. We also see the diplomatic complexities that the US forces have to overcome, as they try to keep the civilian population onside while at the same time treating them with suspicion and occasionally accidentally injuring them and/or disrupting their lives.

The trauma of taking casualties, especially fatalities, is well explored, as is the bond between the soldiers which makes the casualties harder to take.

A well-made, bravely-filmed documentary with no political agenda (which is a good thing).
½ April 23, 2016
The most close-hearted, "on the battlefield" war documentary I've ever seen so far.
March 3, 2016
Brutal, heart wrenching, gut churning. One of the most remarkable docs I've seen.
½ February 16, 2016
Highly recommended. People need to realize that many western nations and especially the US are ill suited for warfare in foreign countries. We are dealing with a very real clash between two kinds of civilizations in this movie: that of western idealism of there being a clear right and wrong, versus the tribalism of rural Afghanistan, governed by the Taliban.

There's no way they can approach the war from a problem-solving standpoint, try as they might, because they've been pressured and brought up by the media to fear terrorists and to sublimate that fear into dutifully carrying out a mission. This detachment affects every type of soldier, even the one with a sense of hyper-focus and initiative. Fear does the opposite of what one might think, which would be to prepare young men and women for the constant imminent danger that pervades any war zone. Whereas, members of a tribal village like the one in Korengal Valley, are deeply familiar with the feeling of fighting in a war, and as a result they are not so emotional or confused about why they are there. Hence, the utter pointlessness of war, as one critic pointed out..
February 12, 2016
Pretty decent film. But it didn't really grab my attention until the end. The filmmaker really put effort into filming the movie and I applaud them for that. But, it doesn't really show the individual soldiers on their own too often. I didn't really feel an emotional attachment. But, I thought it was a great movie that showed the work that the military does to support our country.
½ December 23, 2015
An incredibly humanizing look at the soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan, Restrepo is a compelling and visceral look at modern warfare. Here we have humans as much as we have soldiers. They're afraid and they're brave, their complicated and tough and they come from everywhere. We see them live and die and move from incredible moments of terror and adrenaline to those of pure euphoria.
December 21, 2015
A compelling and humanizing look at soldiers in Afghanistan's most dangerous place.
November 15, 2015
Documentaries don't get much more intimate as Restrepo.

*Review Pending*
September 26, 2015
Excellent documentary
June 26, 2015
Been waiting for this one for months, on Netflix Instant!
May 27, 2015
Riveting, fascinating, heart-breaking, and gut-wrenching. It's amazing that they got this kind of access. No matter your views on war, you have to come away admiring these brave young men.

Grade: A
May 9, 2015
You need to watch this film.
½ February 22, 2015
Nowhere near as good as hyped... Most Americans probably couldn't tell you if its Afghanistan or Iraq and they lose their lives because some twat in the White House enters an illegal war on trumped up intelligence from dodgy spy agencies and water boarding. Stupid is as stupid does! Just following orders was the nazis right?
½ January 25, 2015
One of the best documentaries I've seen. It's hard to believe the filmmakers had this much access to such a dangerous area. Highly recommend.
January 19, 2015
A truly unique experience. The film literally takes you into the trenches and into the minds of soldiers. The way war changes a man is disturbing to say the least. Scenes where soldiers laugh and cheer at tearing an enemy to shreds is justifiable but still disturbing and thought provoking.
January 4, 2015