Revenge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Revenge Reviews

½ September 17, 2018
this was a great trippy ride. love the character shift in our heroine. clearly over the top and not to be taken seriously. just tag along for the ride.
September 14, 2018
Revenge is a technically proficient, somewhat compelling entry in the rape/revenge genre, whose feminist aspirations get sunk in a swamp of overly familiar plot progressions.
½ September 14, 2018
No real new spin but a pedal to the metal approach works and the payback is harsh.Nice popcorn thrill ride.
½ September 13, 2018
What horrible writing. lazy, lazy writers. just a disaster.
September 11, 2018
A must-see for everyone who loves revenge movies and good movies in general.
½ September 10, 2018
Holy crude this movies is 80's BS horror. She gets impaled on a tree, burns the tree, bleeds gallons of blood all over a desert, some how can live in the desert for days with a can of soda. Geez, the writing couldn't be worse. Special effects were done by my kids.
September 10, 2018
Bloody AWFUL!
Thank goodness we have the far superior 'PEPPERMINT' (Jennifer Garner, 2018) to save the female revenge genre!
September 9, 2018
Touted by at least one reviewer as 'Imaginative filmmaking', Revenge felt little more than a glossy imitation of I Spit On Your Grave, which I don't think is the kind of film anyone should really be paying homage to. The cinematography might be stunning, but the film fails because it completely ignores several fundamental issues. Our heroine is pushed off a cliff, falls a considerable distance and is impaled on an upright branch. So, broken back, heavy blood loss and significant organ damage would be the likely result. But she gets off the tree, staggers away, does some self- treatment routine and is good to go. There is no way she would have survived that drop, at least not without suffering at least lower body paralysis. But no, she spends the rest of the movie as if none of these injuries are an issue. I assume she has a role lined up in the next Fast & Furious film. This wouldn't be a problem if she came back as a dead avenger or something similar, but no indication is given that this is the case. She also spends more than a day in the desert with no food and little to no water, yet seems utterly unaffected by this. These problems seriously distracted me from the story, which, frankly, felt like a repeat of the aforementioned rape revenge movie. There's nothing here that you won't have seen done a thousand times before, and the movie features so much spilled blood that the characters would, if nothing else, surely have expired from hypovolemia. I'd heard good things about it, but it amounts to little more than 'Lead character is wronged, spends movie righting the wrong'. It's as black and white as you can get, and beside some decent actions sequences and a fairly tense conclusion, there's nothing here that feels truly unique.
September 9, 2018
Ok!... So I sign in for rottentomatoes to say how BAD is this movie... Bad meaning bad, being a nightmare in directing and movie-script! What is with these positive reviews about the movie? Are they paid or something?? Oh Lord, this will be one of your worst movie experience and I'm not fooling around! So many wrong doings at this movie that I really cannot count them, but I'd suggest to watch it and come back, make yourself an account here and give that rating that it deserves....
½ September 9, 2018
Love how honestly it shows the scary and uncomfortable situation she finds herself in with these men (a feeling probably a lot of women can relate to). Amazing how she fights back, even though she's obviously scared, in the gruesome and crazy way she does!!
½ September 8, 2018
OMG, OMG, OMG!!.. This movie will make you cringe the entire film!! Its really good!
½ September 3, 2018
This movie was terrible! I've lost faith in the reviews of rotten tomatoes. Good lord.
½ September 1, 2018
An absolutely terrible movie.
A short summary: Spiked with predictable scenes, boring superficial characters, totally perverse violence portrayals, Coralie Fargeat shows how much she scorns the male population. The violence is in no way aesthetic, as for example in Tarantino staged it as a dance. It's just there to hurt the viewer.

How do I start now? First of all, I think it would be interesting to have the common opinion
that this should be a feminist film refute.
This can be refuted in three points:

1.) We never see the woman explicitly naked the man several times. We see a well-built naked man. Not the woman, but the man becomes a sex object here.

2.) Another point would be the branch of Jennifer pierced. Here is a clear allusion to the male member to watch. The phallus inflicts tremendous pain on her, keeps her from running and gets in her way. In short, the man still oppresses the woman these days.
This is an extremely dangerous ideology represented here because it undermines the achievements of the feminist movement. Mention should be made of the right to vote and women now receive the same income as men, to name but two examples.

3.) The actual movement of feminism has stood up for the social and political equality of women.
Instead, in this concoction, the man is simply denounced. They are irrational, brutal, violent, infantile, impulsive and constantly inferior to their instincts, thus behaving like animals.
And how animals are they then slaughtered.

In addition, the characters are not very credible. Now, one or the other may say that this is just fiction. This is true so far, a film does not have to correspond to reality. He must, however, be plausible and that's exactly what "Revenge" is missing.

In other words we only look but do not see.
½ August 31, 2018
I am disappointed that the lowest I can rate this movie is half a star, because there is no way in hell it deserves even that - Revenge slides smoothly into first place for the worst movie I have ever watched. The plot is terrible and this rape revenge story only takes an hour of absolutely ridiculous logistical errors before getting to the whole point - half naked female protagonist runs around the desert (barefoot) with a gun. This movie makes no sense whatsoever, and I find myself wondering if the 2.9 million dollar budget was spent on cameras, there are some lovely artistic shots of absolutely nothing that hold no context to the film or anything else. I find it confusing how Jen is able to run around with a giant hole right through her yet and all of the males are left screaming and spurting blood in just about every direction they can - don't worry, both are still able to run though ?? I award them half a star for a half-assed try at a lack of sexism, I'm glad to see that both Matilda's and Kevin's ass get equal amounts of unnecessary screen time. I wouldn't wish this movie upon anyone and highly encourage you to not watch it - at all costs.
½ August 31, 2018
A really bloody and violent Mt Dew commercial.
August 29, 2018
It's like "I Spit on Your Grave", minus any severing of members.
August 29, 2018
it was an exceptional movies and well played out. the characters did amazingly well too.
½ August 27, 2018
Unrealistic survival woman power movie. Even the rape scene is very poorly done pretending to be artsy, and the hotness of the girl is not portrayed in a sufficiently scintillating manner. Give this a miss.
August 26, 2018
This pushed too hard on the limits of common sense, storyline / visual errors and lack of back story to fill in multiple blanks, and ultimately fell on the unacceptable side. Do not recommend. this film. On the plus side, the videography is good.
August 24, 2018
Worst movie i have ever seen..... ever ! Not a single thing makes sense in this movie. Humans dont have an infinite amount of blood in their bodies, people dont fall from 200 feet impaling themselves through their guts and live, cauterizing your massive puncture wound (impaled by a tree) does not close up with no sign or scars, etc, etc.
Honestly the worst thing I have ever seen. What a complete waste of time.
And the camera just could NOT pan away from the girl's BUTTOCKS !!!