Revenge Reviews

• Sep 05, 2019

Does exactly what it says on the tin, so to speak. This is one of those movies where it is exactly what I expected it would be, nothing more and nothing less. If you want to watch a revenge movie about a girl who gets raped and then gets revenge on the Trumptards who raped her, watch it. I'd say this is just slightly better than mildly entertaining trash.

• Sep 03, 2019

It blew my mind when I opened the Rotten Tomatoes page for this movie. Did any of these critics even watch this crap? With that out of my system, here is why Revenge is NOT worth watching... Revenge is essentially a typical rape/revenge film that does itself the favor of being more stylized. The cinematography was pretty slick, and the effects were alright. The acting was sub-par, but some of that may be due to trying to get actors that obviously don't speak good English to deliver lines in English for whatever reason. Now, the problems. The main issue here is that you aren't given much reason to care. The protagonist is basically a ditz and possibly a prostitute (?) That is hyper sexual for a good chunk of the first act. Now, this in NO way excuses rape, but she makes some pretty dumb decisions. With that being said, the movie has one foot in the door. It wants to be a rape/revenge film, but it doesn't want to show the brutality of the rape--which is paramount to the genre. (Btw, getting into spoiler territory). Having one guy rape her while the other goes and swims in the pool is bad, but tame compared to its peers. Suffering is a hallmark of the genre, which makes the violent revenge not only more palatable, but also more satisfying. If you want to be a rape/revenge film, you have to go for it or the movie falls flat. More important, though, is you need people to LIKE the protagonist. No one likes seeing a woman get raped, sure. But to sell the movie, the audience needs to see a likable, real, well-rounded human being subjected to something that has no place being in her life. That's where the true horror lies. A girl in a thong grinding on a guy the night before and getting raped by him the next morning is unforgivable, but not exactly fodder for a great revenge film. Beyond that, there are issues of realism (moving around with that gaping hole? A shotgun with a scope for hunting?) And pacing. The movie isn't a ton of fun, and it doesn't concentrate enough on character development for anyone paying attention to care. Instead, it relies on the shock value of a predominantly off-screen rape to compel the viewer forward. Watch "I Spit on Your Grave" or "Last House on the Left" instead.

• Aug 28, 2019

Poorly plotted with truly unrealistic and even impossible happenings, this surprisingly overrated film is well worth avoiding.

• Aug 24, 2019

Horrible! Not sure how this movie received 93% on the Tomatometer. I kept waiting for the movie to improve while watching it. The movie description says the movie "delivered a ferocious dissection of gender and genre". I was expecting a strong female lead, but instead she was an idiot. Furthermore she would have had raging peritonitis if she was pierced by a tree branch and wouldn't be able to survive. Cauterization via tin from beer can was so far fetched. Make me not want to trust future reviews.

• Aug 04, 2019

Great Direction, captivating script, convincing actress. Great surprise

Great Direction, captivating script, convincing actress. Great surprise

• Jul 30, 2019

One of the worst movies ever made. The plot is very promising, but the acting is bad and some of the solutions flirt with the ridiculous. The Mexican beer tattoo should have been mirrored on the skin ... How many gallons of blood does a human have? Continuity errors in several scenes.

• Jul 23, 2019

Terrible not realistic at all, total waste of time. The girl just heals from every traumatic experience. Many unanswered questions.

• Jun 17, 2019

Listen, it's wildly unrealistic in every sense and the dialogue and characters are ridiculously cliché, none of which makes it even remotely believable. In fact, in many places it's laughable in the same way that those corny, old-school action films are (you know the ones, we've all seen them before), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Granted, the so-called "feminist" aspect is undoubtedly one of the reasons this is getting such high praise, but don't let that put you off because, quite frankly, the idea is awesome and I think the execution is not only pretty damn fun and stylish, but I'd challenge you not to be cheering on the badass protagonist every step of the way. For what it is, it really is entertaining in that gory, silly, b-movie style, and very satisfying to boot.

• Jun 05, 2019

A direção insulta a inteligência do espectador constantemente nesse filme. Com direito a protagonista ser atravessada por um galho e resolver o problema usando uma lata quente pra cauterizar a ferida, deixando uma tatuagem no lugar.

• May 27, 2019

I really enjoy watching "B movies" and get a kick out of movies like Planet Terror, so when I say that this is just a bad movie, you know the kind of standards I'm holding it to. There were points when my boyfriend and I howled with laughter, but we're pretty sure that those weren't intentional on the movie maker's part. Do yourself a favor and watch absolutely anything else than this.