Richard Jewell Reviews

• 3h ago

Excellent film, deserved far more publicity than it got. Superbly acted and directed.

• Apr 07, 2021

A drama directed by indestructible Clint Eastwood went by a little unappreciated, which is a shame because this intriguing movie deserves more attention. It was based on a true story of the Atlanta security guard who became an FBI suspect and got lynched in the media over the crime he didn't do, in the eve of 1996 Olympic Games. Paul Walter Hauser, who seems to specialize in the roles of eccentrics ('I, Tonya'), gave both entertaining and emotional performance as Richard Jewell. Sam Rockwell and Kathy Bates were top-level as usual in the roles of his lawyer and mother. Despite some slow pace in the beginning, it's a very powerful drama with strong storytelling.

• Apr 02, 2021

Good version of the sad story of Mr. Jewell getting targeted by the media and FBI. I actually prefer the tv version that came out a bit later but this story does well to tell Jewell's story even if it leaves out the true bomber's story.

• Mar 29, 2021

started watching Richard Jewell. Right off the bat he's the meek new stock guy and his boss is being a jerk and says he needs tape. Jewell says you might wanna check your second drawer. Full of tape. Jewell says "I noticed you were running out". Then "Might wanna check the third drawer". Its full of snickers. Boss: "how'd you know I liked snickers?" "I saw the empty wrappers in your trash". Just 2 minutes into the film we know Jewell is meek, caring, and observant. No expositional dialogue was used to transmit this information to the audience as we see in so many other films. The writing is compact and efficient.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Mar 28, 2021

Some of the fictionalized elements seem unnecessarily lurid which sort of undercuts the point being made. Still the movie's perspective, about how narratives are constructed despite the facts, is an important one.

• Mar 21, 2021

Didn't wanna see this movie thought it was gonna be boring and everything In trailer. And was actually a compelling story and a important one.

• Mar 20, 2021

This movie is interesting but too long, and as people have noted the female reporter is basically a tired stereotype. But in all it's a good case study of how law enforcement can get it wrong but be reluctant to change course.

• Mar 14, 2021

A good movie to watch

A good movie to watch

• Mar 12, 2021

I'm shocked at how much I loved this. Paul Walter Hauser is incredible; I would say "revelatory," but he's already proven how great he can be in I Tonya, Blackkklansman, Da 5 Bloods, and Cobra Kai. The Bates performance may also be my favorite in her career; her breakdown after getting yelled at for watching violent TV is terrific. Richard Jewell is no-frills, workman-like filmmaking at its finest, a perfect representation of what Eastwood does best.

• Mar 12, 2021

Clint Eastwood returns about the 1996 Olympics bombing and the security guard, Richard Jewell, who first noticed the bag and began evacuating the area, becoming a hero for his efforts. However, soon after his discovery is made, he is filleted by the media and FBI and becomes the main suspect. I really have enjoyed Paul Walter Hauser's work since I first saw him in I, TONYA. Usually he plays the bumbling idiot and while that is still mainly his role in this film, he does show a dramatic range here. Olivia Wilde is detestable as reporter Kathy Scruggs, who has no morals or conscience to speak of whatsoever, and does whatever she can to get a story. Overall, the movie seems quite repetitive: FBI tries to get Jewell to implicate himself, Jewell assists to clear his name or assist them with their investigation, Jewell's lawyer Watson Bryant (played by Sam Rockwell) yells at him to not cooperate with them, repeat. Could have been a better study at the power of the media and how they can ruin lives when they don't get the facts straight/jump to conclusions.