A River Runs Through It Reviews

• Aug 04, 2019

A great coming of age film that deals with a lot of questions folks have to this day.

• Mar 08, 2019

Not all movies have to be a happy ending, but an epic family story with great scenes.

• Mar 05, 2019

"We can love completely without complete understanding". A great movie about the family love, through that we have an opportunity to cherish the family and the life values as well.

• Feb 23, 2019

Sincerity swims alongside breezy direction. Robert Redford's A River Runs Through It (1992) is a riveting coming of age period drama that centers around the ideals of families and our expectations of what we should be doing with our lives. Redford directs lust natural surroundings with the same care for faces reacting to uncertainty and pain as he tends to a river flowing quietly along through time. A River Runs Through It is honestly the finest directing of Redford's career. Philippe Rousselot's truly beautiful cinematography and thoughtful shots let you ponder these characters and their perspectives with a patient empathy. A River Runs Through It is similar to Stand by Me and Legends of the Fall with their period setting and an air of classic Americana. Robert Redford recreates World War I era America through the Great Depression era with a realistic feeling of sleepy Montana conservatives and earthy aspirations. The hair, makeup, and outfits hark back to this older time period perfectly as you feel like you are watching the past. Redford's attention to detail and respect for the past comes across as genuine as Redford clearly reveres hard working Americans and sincere interactions between family members. Even Robert Redford's own narration gives the story a friendly and warm voice that adds a layer of depth and seriousness. Brad Pitt is amazing in this early career appearance. He emanates charisma and energy as the younger brother Paul MacLean. Pitt feels like a professional fly fisher and free spirit that is at home in the river fishing with his brother. His good nature and natural likability alongside Pitt's heavy weight dramatic skill culminate in a fascinating nuanced performance within A River Runs Through It. Brad Pitt was destined to be a movie star, but continues to prove his high caliber skill level as a dramatic lead. Craig Sheffer's career peak is as the thoughtful intellectual Norman MacLean. Sheffer captures a sincere kindness and sympathetic viewpoint as Norman. He is not the smooth fun man that Brad Pitt plays. He is quiet, observant, and sentimental. Sheffer gives a likable awkward performance that comes across as so genuine to heart that he endears himself to you. You believe he is the man he says he is at all times. I must mention the excellent supporting role from Tom Skerritt as Reverend MacLean. His strict, yet nurturing disposition makes him feel so real. You believe that Skerritt is preaching and teaching his congregation as his children, likewise. Skerritt employs a subtle level of understanding without having to make grand speeches and endless monologues. He says so much with a single sentence that cuts through all pretense. Skerritt is incredible in A River Runs Through It. A River Runs Through It features three distinct supporting roles from its leading ladies. Brenda Blethyn's role as Mrs. MacLean is really interesting. She gives the mother a caring sincerity and a fervent belief in God. I liked her acting choices a lot. Emily Lloyd plays the early American love interest with a look akin to a young Lillian Gish and an attitude like an aloof sweetheart. She's really intriguing in A River Runs Through as her character Jessie Burns is not initially likable at all, but she develops into a sympathetic figure with real feeling. Lastly, I want to commend the sultry and lovely Susan Traylor as Rawhide. She is a comic and tragic all at once. Her disheveled appearance offsets her natural beauty all while you watch her stumbling lady Rawhide with a sympathetic sadness and a humorous joy. Overall, A River Runs Through It is compelling for its American narrative of grounded ideals and realistic relationships. The acting is top notch all around, especially as it is elevated by Robert Redford's focused direction and engaging storytelling.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best movie score ever composed!

The best movie score ever composed!

• Oct 08, 2018

Ever since Brad Pitt burst on the scene in Hollywood he has always been compared to Robert Redford. I was expecting the collaboration of Robert Redford and Brad Pitt to be something stellar but the River runs through it is clearly not that film. This is a slow paced meditation by Redford which involves small town politics, fly fishing and the understanding of family dynamics. This isn't a bad movie but more of a tempo that it should be watched in the right frame of mind.(A meditative film but could be slow for most audiences).

• Oct 03, 2018

This movie is terrible, not only is it boring but the story line is extraordinarily slow.

• Sep 27, 2018

Beautifully shot, with a fresh level of harsh realism, but it didn't really move me like it was apparently supposed to. It's well done in pretty much every aspect, but it just kind of dragged for me.

• Sep 20, 2018

This is a decent film made by Robert Redford. It takes its time and involves small town politics, fly fishing and the understanding of family dynamics. This isn't a bad movie but more of a tempo that it should be watched in the right frame of mind.

• Aug 05, 2018