Rock of Ages - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rock of Ages Reviews

½ November 4, 2017
First time I saw this movie I felt kind of sad and embarrassed for the stars involved and knew it would be a box office flop. Yet upon catching it on t.v here & there in bits & pieces, and a second full viewing, you become immune to it and just enjoy it for what it is, a campy film that has its moments.
October 23, 2017
At first I thought it might be good, but the fact that it never features Def Leppard's "Rock of Ages" (my favorite song by one of my favorite bands) really takes away from the musical aspect of it. At least the movie included Def Leppard AT ALL, but it just doesn't really make sense.
½ September 20, 2017
I quite enjoyed the film, especially the soundtrack.
September 12, 2017
I always have a dilemma with musicals when I enjoy the music, because I start to overlook some of the flaws in the story-telling. Rock of Ages is a musical where I was indeed enjoying some of the music, even though it is loaded with lackluster covers of good songs. They cast famous actors, but also made sure to cast ones who could sing (Tom Cruise stood out as the most impressive.) Then they used a couple of young stars who started out as singers which didn?t hurt. It?s the kind of film where you know the songs so you just want to sing along. The downfall of Rock of Ages is the plot (or lack thereof.) It is the most scattershot mess of a story, that I just found myself disinterested. It?s never a good sign when you?re thinking ?Which song is coming next?? instead of ?What will happen next?? There were at least 3 different storylines running through this film, and because they were all crammed into a 2 hour movie with a bunch of songs none of the stories were handled all that well. The romance between Julianne Hough and Diego Boneta was probably the weakest story and I think they were supposed to be the main characters. Frankly, I was more invested in the relationship between Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand. But, I liked the songs, and there were moments that I had fun despite the issues. It?s strange because Rock of Ages is the kind of movie where I?d be fine never seeing it again, but also the kind of movie I might watch again just as a guilty pleasure. It would be hard for me to recommend it to anyone else, though.
½ August 7, 2017
Very clichà (C), but there were the occasional good scenes.
August 2, 2017
quite possibly the worst man made contribution to the universe of things
July 12, 2017
This movie is just plain fun, and does what every movie is supposed to do; take me away from reality.
May 30, 2017
It was ok, was surprised that Tom Cruse can sing, and just wish it didn't have the Journey song in it.
May 1, 2017
Great Rock Musical movie with Great songs and Great music along with a very good story.
April 29, 2017
Absolutely loved this!!!!
Cheesy as hell but soooo much fun ??
April 11, 2017
Offensive to those of us that love all the songs used in the movie, because they are almost all butchered. Autotune sounds like zhit. It was hard to get through for me. The words, "goofy, silly, stupid, and hokey" came to mind repeatedly. Someone that does not love rock and roll more than "boy band" type music created and produced this. This should have been named "Glee, the movie" How stupid can you get?
½ March 18, 2017
A lot better than I expected, although I wish they would have cast someone (anyone!) other than Tom Cruise. Not believable in the slightest.
Juliane Hough was pretty good. I normally don't like her as an actress, but this role suited her.
I loved the 80's themes and even the crappy boy band. I didn't love all the hair metal band songs and I'm not big on musicals in general, but this one worked for the most part.
½ February 22, 2017
Was pleasantly surprised. It got better each time i watched it.
February 8, 2017
Such a fun and uplifting movie! A Blast
January 3, 2017
This was so bad... which is so sad...
½ December 31, 2016
It's should've been better than this
½ December 21, 2016
An empty experience with weak leads and a generic story, and even if it offers a few inspired moments and the music covers are a refreshing throwback to the '80s, nothing saves this song-after-song music video from being bland - not even Tom Cruise's magnetic presence.
½ November 23, 2016
The romance may get in the way of it's story but Rock Of Ages has the soundtrack of all soundtracks and anybody who is a fan of 80's music can't deny that it's a blast to watch
½ November 6, 2016
I enjoy movie Musicals but this was a big miss. Acting, singing, directing, pace. narrative - all bad.
September 23, 2016
Classic rock radio lives again, or very nearly, squeezed into this minor story about making the big time as a rock god. Boy gets girl, loses girl, gets girl again, played again w/o shame. And the music prostituted again for what? For what? Pass,