RocknRolla - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

RocknRolla Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
"RocknRolla" is Guy Ritchie's 2008 film that revolves around a bunch of British gangsters running after a painting, yeah, it's filled with drugs, russians and rock and roll, and it is fun. The movie is very well edited very well acted, mainly by Gerard Butler, Idris Elba and Mark Strong, it has an overall well written script with a soundtrack that keeps the movie going, but compared to some other movies that Guy Ritchie has made in the past like "Snatch" or "Lock, stock and two smoking barrels" you can clearly see a resemblance in the style like the fast editing, the humor and the "thief's and gangsters" thing, that he always does, no one wants to see the same thing every time Guy. In the end "RocknRolla" is not bad, but it isn't great either. 3.5/5.
½ July 18, 2016
Said to be Guy Ritchie's first step back towards his career resurgence, RocknRolla sounded like some old fashioned glory in the man's distinctive style.

Guy Ritchie is a man who has established a distinctive brand of English cinema. His fast-paced music video style boasts visual glory while his preferred narrative is an intense and funny blend of crime and comedy. This is exactly the style of filmmaking he returns to in RocknRolla after finding little success with either Swept Away (2002) or Revolver (2005). While RocknRolla is a return to form for the director, it is also a return to formula because the man fails to break much new ground with this film. Having established his talents with the release of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) before taking his stylistic ambitions to the max with Snatch (2000), RocknRolla takes a step back into the exact same territory. RocknRolla carries many of the same faults as his earlier films, but the better aspects of the production fail to stand out all that much since they have all been seen before and so the impact is rather minimal. It's refreshing to see the director doing what he does best and doing it with an all new cast, but it's all been done before and there is little to hide that whatsoever.
RocknRolla borrows heavily from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. It's a caper packed with a few too many characters to keep up with and a pace which moves at a rate too fast for any actual character development to take place. The script doesn't concern itself with this; it just makes an attempt to turn its characters into entertaining archetypes through the use of dialogue. The language is rich due to its high volume of gritty slang and humour, but it never really matters which character is saying it because the convoluted narrative rushes through them all without ever really asserting individual value for any of them. The lasting value of each character on the narrative varies, but since they are all given the same scattered treatment it really doesn't matter in the end because it's little more than a confusing spectacle of acting without any actual narrative purpose for it.
It's almost as if RocknRolla is the conclusion to a trilogy of films composed of this, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. Unfortunately, this time the affair feels tiresome. By the end of the film I have little sense what happened, but this time around it felt like more of a chore to sit through the experience so I really didn't care. I enjoyed the energy in the film and the overall style, but the story was just not one I cared about. Eventually I had to embrace that I had little to care about and tried to find virtue in other aspects of the feature. It wasn't necessarily enough to have me calling this a good film, but it does serve as a reminder of Guy Ritchie's music video style of filmmaking. With the stylish cinematography and enjoyable colour scheme to the film being served through a series of manic quick-cuts against the backdrop of an intense soundtrack, RocknRolla is an energetic if overwhelming experience. And though characters are not a strong point of RocknRolla, the type of character Guy Ritchie is effective at coming up with is always interesting to see played by a variety of actors. With RocknRolla presenting many notorious faces to the style, the most entertaining aspect of the film is arguably the performances.
Tom Wilkinson is the standout of RocknRolla. Amid the manic blend of crime and comedy in the film, Tom Wilkinson is the one actor who takes everything completely serious with maximum intensity. He sinks his teeth into the power obsession of his character and grasps it with a tenacious passion, speaking every word with a swift pace of fearless confidence which allows him to command the more reluctant or confused characters around him. Tom Wilkinson leads RocknRolla with a powerful passion for the material and proves to bring out some sophisticated power in the material that Guy Ritchie presents him with.
Gerard Butler also delivers an intense effort. A widely recognized name in Hollywood, Gerard Butler is an actor who has a talent for really commanding a performance with a gritty edge to him if he is given the right one. While RocknRolla is inconsistent in its purposes for using him, the actor manages to use his natural charm in the calmer scenes while bringing out more tension in the others. He does this all while not having to disguise his native accent which has got to be refreshing for the actor. RocknRolla presents Gerard Butler in his natural form as both a talented actor and a Scotsman, and he captures the edge of the film with instinct.
Tom Hardy is also a brilliant presence. The man is currently one of the biggest stars in the world of cinema, and so seeing him working in his cultural roots within the confines of a Guy Ritchie film is a treat for everyone. Many of his scenes come with a humourous element to them which stand out from the rest of the material, and it makes his presence all the more memorable The same goes for Idris Elba whose rich sophistication comes to him naturally enough in any film lucky enough to benefit from his presence.
Mark Strong's suave line delivery and reputation for delivering intense performances makes him another befitting addition to the cast as well as an effective narrator. And last of all, Jeremy Piven is a grand presence due to his obnoxious persona reflecting the glory of his longrunning performance as Ari Gold on Entourage (2004-2011 without being derivative

RocknRolla serves as a reminder of Guy Ritchie's talent for crafting a gritty crime-comedy in the style of a music video with a dedicated collection of talented cast members, but with little innovation to the story the entire affair feels tired.
July 7, 2016
Cuando la vez por segunda vez, notas más historias entrelazadas, escenas de 10 segundos con informacion y chistes importantes, que derrepente terminan con historias singulares, y te recuerda cada vez más el caracteristico estilo de Ritchie para dirigir sus filmes, y se asemeja a su vez, a sus otros dos grandes exitos.
Tambien al comparar con los otros dos, te hace notar el cambio de Londres en esos 10 y 15 años. ahora tiene un toque mucho mas 'Skinsesco' el bajo mundo inglés en la mente de Ritchie
Peor todavía es pensar que ya estamos a 10 años de aquel film practicamente, y no ha llegado la anunciada segunda parte. Recomendable verla dos veces.
½ June 25, 2016
Gerard Butler in a Guy Ritchie movie. A dream.
June 7, 2016
I think this movie is phenomenal.
June 1, 2016
IMO, the best of Guy Ritchie's movies. It's a crime that so few people have even heard of it...or Toby Kebbell, for that matter.
½ May 28, 2016
Rarely if ever turn a film off but this was beyond awful- decent cast but shocking acting with the slowest delivery of dialogue, had all the energy and charm of a damp towel- so glad I'm not watching it anymore, genuinely feel a weight off my shoulders
March 29, 2016
A gangster story in which you have to watch twice in order to understand it completely! Once you get the flow of this, you'll understand that it's brilliant!
March 19, 2016
Great film, watched for the second time recently
March 12, 2016
One of the few good things to come out of Guy Ritchie's Madonna period. This cracking gangster yarn is cast with a host of talent from the United Kingdom, most of which have gone on to bigger things (particularly Tom Hardy). Outstanding way to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday â~º
½ February 20, 2016
This was an obvious attempt at a return to form by Ritchie at a low point both personally and professionally. Does it work? Yes and no, but mostly no. The cast of characters is charismatic and well portrayed, the dialogue sharp. The story... is as convoluted as anything I've ever seen. Despite their large ensemble casts and their intertwining stories, "Lock Stock..." and "Snatch" have an impressive economy of plot and are never confusing. The same can't be said for this film. It's all over the place in a very bad way. A sad case of too much being more than enough.
January 27, 2016
RocknRolla is an enjoyable enough film but I think the reason it's so easy to watch is because you've seen it all before, it's like bumping into an old friend. There is absolutely nothing original or profound about it, which I find annoying, but the cast is likable, likable enough for you not to hate it. Easy/lazy viewing, a masterpiece compared to Revolver and if I'm being honest, I would like to see another film starring the 'Wild-bunch' but I doubt very much that it's going to happen!
½ November 23, 2015
Has its great moments but ultimately leaves me unsatisfied. The movie only seems to be great when it actually focuses on its titular RockNRolla-ish characters. In typical Guy Ritchie fashion there are a lot of characters, almost rendering everyone as supporting roles and no one taking the position of lead. It just doesn't work in this film because it tries to emphasize certain characters as the main story while all these other characters show up every now and then and just distract from the story. This renders certain scenes between people that they don't emphasize as much boring and not feeling like they're leading to anything. Although with all of that said, I will say that when it does focus on the stuff that is deserving of a title so cool as RockNRolla, it's a blast to watch. The comedy is spot on in certain spots and it makes all the other miscelaneous stuff so disappointing. Overall, RockNRolla is "Sorta, Kinda, Meh...."
October 11, 2015
This film is a missed opportunity, but Gerard Butler and Tom Hardy are sexy and firery.
½ August 9, 2015
This film holds up remarkably well on the re-watch from the To-Watch Pile, so that's always a nice turn of events, especially now that we have Ritchie getting his groove back after after his divorce from Madonna.

I have to admit to some trepidation when I went into this one, but I was quite impressed with the levels of plotting, stylistic storytelling and performances on display; Guy Ritchie has truly redeemed himself after losing his way with stuff like Swept Away and Revolver during his married years.

Highly recommended.
½ August 7, 2015
Spoiler filled review

There aint no school like the Old School and in this Old School Im the headmaster?.

Trying to sum this movie up is pretty difficult. There is so much going on from the beginning that itâ(TM)s really hard to summarize. So, with that said here we go. A Russian high level thug wants to build a stadium in London. To do this he needs to use the "connections" of a local power figure. That would be Lenny: Thug-boss. Lenny and Uri (The Russian) make a deal and agree upon 7,000 euroâ(TM)s. Uri contacts his accountant to make the deal go through but doesnâ(TM)t suspect that she wants to do him wrong. Thatâ(TM)s where the Wild Bunch comes in. They steal the money and she makes a profit. At the same time Uri gives Lenny a âspecialâ? painting that holds sentimental and luck purposes until the deal goes through. Lennyâ(TM)s Rock N Rolla son steals the painting for himself⦠or crack. Things begin to get crazy as the two mob figureâ(TM)s question each otherâ(TM)s trust and worth as well as trying to figure out who is stealing money and who has the painting.
From this point on if you havenâ(TM)t seen the movie I would stop here. Possible spoilers ahead.

I will say that those accents had me thrown off for the first 30 minutes or so. After awhile just like reading subtitles I got used to it. Actually the first 5 minutes were the worst. The story was hard to follow and it was moving way to fast. Itâ(TM)s one of those movies where the closer to the end it gets, the more you understand. In my opinion Lenny was weak. He was supposed to encompass this fear that everyone in London should bow to? Hardly. The scenes with Uri had him acting like a second rate thug. Maybe, that was the direction given but, I thought it to be sad. Mark Strong played his âNumber 2â? (Archie) and I thought he did fantastic. The accountant was played by (Thandie Newton). I have seen Thandie act before and I wasnâ(TM)t too impressed with her role here. She seemed very dry and hardly âinto itâ?. Again, maybe this was the direction she was given but it left me feeling like she was a dead body walking around smoking a cigarette. She also, was a part of the quickest sex scene I have seen in awhile. This poses the question. How did that even happen? She was never interested in Mr. One Two but yet she stops by his house to hit it and quit it and then takes off. I guess Guy Ritchie was tying up loose ends with the painting. The Wild Bunch consisted of many men but the main players were Mr. One Two (Gerard Butler), Mumbles (Idris Elba), & Handsome Bob (Tom Hardy). It is a joy to see these guys in action. Even though there isnâ(TM)t much development Guy Ritchie had to throw in the Handsome Bob sexuality to help build upon the characterâ(TM)s. It felt a little out of place but it had a purpose. Favorite scene was the 2nd robbery followed by chase by the ânew Heaviesâ?. Those guys were relentless! Gerard Butler gives a average performance where Idris Elba outshineâ(TM)s him in less speaking parts. Iâ(TM)ve only seen Tom Hardy previously in The Dark Knight Rises trailers and itâ(TM)s funny to see him so skinny. I wonder if heâ(TM)ll show up in a sequel since heâ(TM)s bulked up so much. Johnny Quid is Lennyâ(TM)s unwanted son. He is the true RockNRolla. Also, heâ(TM)s a true crackhead. I didnâ(TM)t care too much for his character until the end of the movie. Heâ(TM)s actually pretty quotable. Johnnyâ(TM)s Music producers are played by Jeremy Piven & Ludacris. Both have very small parts and as a whole they were mediocre. But every time Ludacris spoke it felt like he had just learned his lines five minutes prior to filming them. Very stiff Ludaâ(TM).

On the whole, Guy Ritchie put together a well written movie. Although he didnâ(TM)t deviate from the Heist movie formula he still made it his own⦠in a way. Hey someone needs to tell these people that once you do a âjobâ? and it pays out great then you donâ(TM)t need to do it again right away. Let the air settle. I donâ(TM)t think any criminal in their right mind would do a âjobâ? back to back and not expect something bad to happen. This movie was cookie cutter but Ritchie was able to include many characters and although each didnâ(TM)t have much screen time they all were hashed out as well developed individuals. A balancing act for sure. I was intrigued that the whole movie was based on a mob deal. I say mob just because they âkeep their receipts, this ainâ(TM)t the mafiaâ?.

Comic Book Movie Plus? Mark Strong - Green Lantern, Tom Hardy - The Dark Knight Rises, Gerard Butler - 300, & Idris Elba - Thor & Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.
June 29, 2015
85%
Saw this on 29/6/15
I liked this more than Lock, Stock and Two Smocking Barrels, but not as much as Snatch. Guy Ritchie returns to form with his gangster flicks and the outcome is a witty and entertaining film with fine cinematography, but a few not so good visual effects. Mark Strong and Toby Kebbell gives good performances while others simply play along. Gerard Butler is good, but his role lacks a prominence and is just a bystander. Ritchie's direction is strong and his pulpy gangster war is also great. Hope they make a sequel soon.
June 16, 2015
Nothing about this movie is original, the payoff could have been better, and some parts feel just plain disjointed, but the entertainment it provides still bathes in wit and amusement, making RockinRolla a solid time with the movies.
June 16, 2015
A man movie, a movie any guy would enjoy.
June 10, 2015
One of my favorite films of all time. The cast was perfectly pieced together