RocknRolla - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

RocknRolla Reviews

September 6, 2017
Good watchable crime movie, great cast, and one cool dance scene. Excellent
½ September 2, 2017
not a patch on Snatch, but still quite good in its pace and implementation. Does not reinvent the wheel and but keeps in rocking and rolling. A star cast that rivals no other movie, it is a great commercial film.
August 15, 2017
Well paced action film in a similar style to many of Guy Ritchie's other films. You'll enjoy the experience, but will not be telling your friends.
August 12, 2017
Great Ritchie flick. Distant behind Snatch and Lock Stock, but underappreciated.
August 12, 2017
Really Really great movie and I don't know what took me so long to watch it. Great Cast! they all did fantastic.. Great Action. This movie was much better than i expected with Action, comedy, violence, great camera work and artwork. will rack on to one of my favorite.
August 2, 2017
ONE OF THE BEST MOVIE OF RITCHIE
½ July 5, 2017
RocknRolla is Guy Richie's latest attempt at the London Underworld. This flick was less about the payoff and more on the substance. With an all star cast from Gerard Butler to Idris Elba to Tom Wilkinson to Tom Hardy. It was such a good movie with a crazy script. If you liked Lock Stock you will definitely like this one.
½ July 4, 2017
In London, the British mob boss Lenny Cole (Tom Wilkinson) rules the growing real estate business using a corrupt Councillor (Jimi Mistry) for the bureaucratic services and his henchman Archy (Mark Strong) for the dirty work. A billionaire Russian businessman, Uri Omovich (Karel Roden), plans a crooked land deal, and London's crooks all want a piece of it. Other key players include the underhand accountant Stella (Thandie Newton) and ambitious small-time crook One-Two (Gerard Butler) leading a group called the "Wild Bunch" which includes Mumbles (Idris Elba) and Handsome Bob (Tom Hardy). Lenny charges Uri 7,000,000 for the crooked deal; Uri has his accountant Stella move the funds. Uri lends his lucky painting to Lenny as a sign of friendship. Stella, however, double-crosses Uri and tips off the Wild Bunch to steal the money, while the painting is stolen from Lenny's wall by his junkie rocker stepson Johnny Quid (Toby Kebbell), who faked his own death. Lenny and Archy coerce his former managers Mickey (Chris "Ludacris" Bridges) and Roman (Jeremy Piven) into tracking down Johnny. Handsome Bob also gets close to Stella's gay husband, a lawyer who has information on a prevalent undercover informer in their criminal circle. After Uri's money is stolen by the Wild Bunch a second time, his assistant Victor begins to suspect that it is Lenny who has been stealing the money and purposely keeping Uri's painting from him. Uri eventually grows impatient of Lenny and lures him to a private golf game where Victor breaks his leg as a warning to return his lucky painting without delay...

Critical reaction to the film has been mixed. While the film's unoriginal themes were criticised, the script and direction, as well as the performances of Strong, Butler and Kebbell, were praised. IGN gave the film a positive review with four out of five stars, saying "Guy Ritchie is hardly re-inventing the wheel with this movie, but RocknRolla is nonetheless a comedy thriller that is every bit as accomplished as his early work, and without doubt a witty, adrenalin-fuelled blast from start to finish." Roger Ebert gave the film three stars, stating that "It never slows down enough to be really good, and never speeds up enough to be the Bourne Mortgage Crisis, but there's one thing for sure: British actors love playing gangsters as much as American actors love playing cowboys, and it's always nice to see people having fun."

Guy Ritchie´s gangster formula is intact in "RocknRolla" and a it is simply a third act after "Lock Stock and two Smokin' Barrels" and "Snatch" with the same fast paced and witty dialogue, great soundtrack, a stylistic violent and complex plot structure filled with Cockney gangster stereotypes and rapid dynamic editing. Yes, it might feel that you have seen it before, but Ritchie still manages to keep his direction, story and colourful character gallery in a "newer" shape and form so you are still truly entertained. The ensemble is hardly something you can complain about with Tom Wilkinson, Mark Strong, Gerard Butler, Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, Thandie Newton etc. They all work perfectly in their roles and with a classic Ritchie ensemble storyline they all get to shine in one way or another. Thandie Newton has never been more gorgeous and I love the scene when Stella and One-Two dance together with Flash and The Pan´s magnificent song "Waiting For A Train" playing in the background. Great scene. Excellent use of Lou Reed´s solid song "The Gun" as well."RocknRolla" is a great in my eyes and fans of "Lock Stock and two Smokin' Barrels" and "Snatch" will love this one as well.

Trivia: Thandie Newton revealed that Ritchie stated that he hopes to extend RocknRolla into a trilogy, in the event that the film receives enough positive attention.[17] At the end of the film there is a title card stating "Johnny, Archy and the Wild Bunch will be back in The Real RocknRolla". According to both the audio commentary and an interview with Ritchie, the second film has been written and is awaiting studio approval. In a 2011 interview, promoting Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, when asked about a possible RocknRolla sequel, Ritchie said "You know, I've spent a lot of time thinking about it! I've written a script, I think it's a great script, and Joel (Silver) wants to pay for me to do it. But up until now we haven't had the time to do it. It's sitting there and we'd all like to do it, it's just a question of when we're going to fit it in. So we'll wait and see." He also mentioned that as long as Warner Bros. keeps throwing him "big movies like the Sherlock Holmes films and The Man from UNCLE, then it may not be happening soon."
May 31, 2017
Close to my favourite movie of all time.. Great soundtrack and believable characterisations.
May 23, 2017
5/23/2017 (2): A pretty decent flick with an excellent cast. Not quite as good as Snatch or Lock, Stock...though.
May 20, 2017
fast paced and funny British gangster film . Very well executed cinematography acting writing directing and soundtrack . A poorly marketed must see for every guy ritchie fan
May 5, 2017
What a Guy-Ritchie-knock-off film would look like if it was directed by Guy Ritchie. Not terrible, but over-stuffed with plot and characters, and understuffed with heart and fun.
February 11, 2017
Pure entertainment! Clever movie by Guy Ritchie. Definitely not his best film.
January 20, 2017
It's crazy how underrated this movie is. It's a fast paced crime thriller/comedy that still caters to Richie's earlier style of filming. Everyone is in this movie and they rock their roles to the tee. Fans of Snatch could agree!
January 9, 2017
This movie is FUN! One of my FAVORITES!
½ January 7, 2017
I wanted so badly to love this movie. Between it being in the gangster genre and the absolutely stellar cast, I thought I'd have to love it.

The acting wasn't a problem here. They were all played extremely well and thats the reason I finished the movie. with a cast like that, you can't turn it off. However, the storyline just fell short. It starts off well, where you think there's a high hope it's going to be a great mobster movie, but it ends up taking you in circles and then falling flat on its face at the very end. Literally, the entire story is repetitive ans the ending is the last thing I'd ever have wanted. The Johnny Quid character was truly one of those characters you just can't stand. He pretty much ruined it for me.
½ January 6, 2017
Pretty solid gangster movie.
½ December 8, 2016
La wea taquilla. Estas pelis tipo Oceans Eleven no dan pa' mucho más. Tiene sus escenas, como la de los rusos inmortales, y mensión para el jefe que es prácticamente Roman Abramovich.... solo que tiene un equipo rojo en vez de azul.
September 25, 2016
May of had a few too many watching this cause I found it to be a tough to follow
September 17, 2016
RocknRolla is another European gangster film directed by Guy Ritchie. Once again, his stylistic filming is on display, and this time it has a mountain of great actors to help him out. Tom Hardy was the highlight of the film for me, in a very overlooked performance as Handsome Bob. Gerard Butler, Idris Elba, and Toby Kebbel were all fantastic as well. The plot was a little hard to follow, but it didn't need to be that special when there were so many great performances and such great camerawork. The end credits hint at a sequel that has yet to happen, and still isn't forgotten to many. I would love to see The Real RocknRolla, but for now, we have this very entertaining movie