Rocky IV - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky IV Reviews

April 22, 2017
Despite having frequent flaws within its plot, Rocky 4 is an extremely ambitious movie that is definitely worth watching.
½ April 20, 2017
The fourth round may be a bit exhausting for those who have managed to make it to the first three rounds with Sylvester Stallone but Rocky IV's story, Dolph Lundgren's performance as Ivan Drago, the soundtrack and the final fight sequence which like previous entries had me wanting Rocky to win - oh, and the montages too, I guess - make it another reasonably amusing entry within the Rocky franchise...albeit lacking the "eye of the tiger" from the last movie.
½ April 1, 2017
I actually really liked this movie. Ivan Drago an Rocky are both great, and Apollo's death is sad. It has the same idea as the first few movies.
March 22, 2017
Not terrible, but it just seems like he keeps going up against tougher opponents every movie.
March 13, 2017
My favorite out of all Rocky movies! This movie is just so much fun yes it is flawed and has some mistakes especially with the timeline of movie but despite this the soundtrack itself makes the movie great and then you get the tragic death of Apollo and the fight on Christmas day its just so goooood!
February 18, 2017
If I had to pick one from the franchise it's this one. Use to watch this on VHS on repeat ALL day and the the soundtrack it purely for GYM motivation
January 7, 2017
I enjoyed Rocky 4 loved Ivan drago
December 23, 2016
The movie joins together familiar elements of the now well established Rocky franchise and the simmering tensions of the cold war in the 1980s. The story concerns a biological freak Soviet amateur boxer called Ivan Drago who comes onto the scene to challenge the established (and mainly US) heavyweight boxing fraternity.
Series veteran Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) comes out of retirement to take on the Soviet (played by Dolph Lundgren) in a typically camp US exhibition fight. Drago uses his powers to the max. and kills Creed in the process.
Heavyweight champion and Creed friend Rocky Balboa must take on Drago in an unsanctioned fight in the USSR on Dec. 25th! Balboa faces the arctic Russian conditions to train for the bout in Moscow in front of a partisan crowed and members of the Soviet politburo!
The training scenes are great but the final fight is a farce! The sound effects of each punch are worse than WWE. Balboa takes so much punishment from Drago throughout the fight he would be dead in reality.
Anyway as the fight wears on the partisan Moscow crowd start to warm to Balboa much to the annoyance of the Soviet high command. Drago becomes frustrated as Balboa starts to make some impact on the fight cutting Drago in the process and refusing to be defeated. Eventually Balboa somehow knocks Drago out and wins the fight.
In his victory address which is really corny and typically American, Balboa (Stallone) tells the crowd that they have changed, he has changed, everybody can change!
Some issues that annoyed me on watching the film. Why is Balboa's brother in law Pauley (Young) allowed to sit at press conferences and in the corner team. He is a useless peripheral character.
Creeds old trainer Duke doesnt age throughout the series including Rocky Balboa.
When watching the end credits it is revealed that the Russia scenes in reality were filmed in snowy British Columbia, Canada.
The film is relatively short for an action film so is a good time waster if you're bored. Not a bad entry. Certainly better than Rocky V. Stallone should have ended the series on a high here.
The soundtrack is excellent and has some excellent energized anthems throughout.
December 21, 2016
This jingoistic stupidity was obviously made to show the Americans overthrowing the Russians during the Cold War, but what is even worse is that in the end it seems like nothing more than a ridiculous montage of music video clips without any passion or good drama.
½ December 20, 2016
Everyone knows this is the best Rocky film. "I will break you." Classic.
December 20, 2016
Surprisingly not dated
½ December 19, 2016
If it wasn't evident enough that the Rocky franchise was running out of ideas with Rocky III, Rocky IV completely seals the deal. Like that preceding film, it's evident from the get-go that something's off here: following his win over Clubber Lang, Rocky is at home celebrating Paulie's birthday by gifting him with a robot servant. The film as a whole, once again written and directed by Sylvester Stallone, makes a lot of strange decisions like this, and just seems to lack the soul of the other films. It's the shortest film in the franchise, running just 91 minutes, but spends a baffling amount of time on montages. Training montages are to be expected - this is the Rocky franchise, after all - but one particular montage midway through the film that recounts the previous three films is overly long and doesn't really have the emotional impact it should. The training montages, especially the one that leads into the climactic final fight, are solid itself, but there's something completely off-putting about a big montage sequence that doesn't culminate in a rendition of "Gonna Fly Now." Vince DiCola is called in to take the music duties from Bill Conti, and the lack of the latter certainly shows.

As a result of this strange storytelling choice, Rocky IV completely lacks the one thing that defines the franchise: the character moments and growth of the protagonist. This is the first time Rocky has really gone nowhere as a character. In the past, he's dealt with overcoming the odds and living up to his personal goals, living in a world he wasn't truly prepared for, and having to find his passion when it's lost, but despite a major plot point at the film's midpoint, Rocky IV lacks a similar theme. His only goal here is to defeat another seemingly unbeatable heavyweight opponent, and that's disappointing. If there's one thing that keeps this from being a complete flop for the series, it's the thing the series has always handled well: the final fight. Dolph Lundgren's Ivan Drago makes for a compelling opponent for Balboa, and seeing him endure round after round has that Rocky spirit that the rest of the film lacks.
November 3, 2016
Another brilliant Rocky film, probably my favourite one out of the lot
October 15, 2016
Rocky IV was good but some were not. So let's talk about. It's Paul's birthday. They give Paulie a robot. He doesn't like it that much. Then we see Apollo Creed in his pool and on tv they are showing a boxer. In russia they think he is indestructible. Apollo wants to fight him. So when Apollo fights Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) Ivan punches him so hard that he dies. Rocky is mad about what happens and wants to fight him. The Russians don't want to fight in The U.S. they want to fight in Russia. So Rocky goes to Russia. Then there's the training montage which is awesome. There are two of them the best one is the second one with hearts on fire. They fight the beast of the Russian. Ivan Drago pouches Rocky a lot. Rocky starts to fight him and the song is also cool. Finally Rocky knocks him to the ground and wins the fight of his life. This movie has to go with 7/10. Its was a great movie but not to be a 10/10. The movie was good but it was kinda short and you can't fit much in a small time. So that's why I give it a 7/10.
September 27, 2016
I mean, look - Rocky IV is not a GOOD movie. The plot is thin, with a plot as adherent to the Rocky formula as Rocky III and a villain whose acting is just as ridiculous. The less said about Rocky Jr. and the robot, too, the better. It also creates some pretty ridiculous plot holes - Rocky says he's been married to Adrian for 9 years, but this seems to follow on directly from III, which follows directly from II, which follows immediately from I. And how could Rocky possibly withstand even a single haymaker from someone who punches at 4 times the maximum PPI?

BUT, I do think this is a much better film than III. Drago says barely anything, but is a million times more intimidating than frickin Clubber Lang (those feather earrings -_-). "If he dies - he dies" and "I must break you" are among the most bad ass lines ever uttered on screen.
And when he kills Apollo Creed, arguably the best actor in this series, I was genuinely affected - especially having already seen the incredible 2015 Creed film.

So f*ck it - Rocky IV is dumb fun, and - in my opinion - only the third worst in the series.
September 6, 2016
One of the most underrated Rocky's. It's different from 1 and 2, but not necessarily any worse. It's a bit more formulaic, but it pulls everything off magnificently.
August 28, 2016
Still one of the best movies ... and best soundtrack ever
August 13, 2016
Yeah, this movie sucks.
August 4, 2016
It follows a formula that is basically a tweaked version of the third one. It's an enjoyable movie but nothing stands out about it. It also is very cheesy for most of its runtime. I think if you're a fan of the movies that came before it, you can find enjoyment in it, but overall it is just an average boxing movie that is predictable and sometimes takes itself too seriously.
August 3, 2016
He fights Dolph Lundgren this time!

"YOU WILL LOSE !!!"

PS: I love Paulie's Robot, it was so CHEESE & this film is 33% montage!