Rocky IV - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky IV Reviews

February 18, 2017
If I had to pick one from the franchise it's this one. Use to watch this on VHS on repeat ALL day and the the soundtrack it purely for GYM motivation
January 7, 2017
I enjoyed Rocky 4 loved Ivan drago
December 23, 2016
The movie joins together familiar elements of the now well established Rocky franchise and the simmering tensions of the cold war in the 1980s. The story concerns a biological freak Soviet amateur boxer called Ivan Drago who comes onto the scene to challenge the established (and mainly US) heavyweight boxing fraternity.
Series veteran Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) comes out of retirement to take on the Soviet (played by Dolph Lundgren) in a typically camp US exhibition fight. Drago uses his powers to the max. and kills Creed in the process.
Heavyweight champion and Creed friend Rocky Balboa must take on Drago in an unsanctioned fight in the USSR on Dec. 25th! Balboa faces the arctic Russian conditions to train for the bout in Moscow in front of a partisan crowed and members of the Soviet politburo!
The training scenes are great but the final fight is a farce! The sound effects of each punch are worse than WWE. Balboa takes so much punishment from Drago throughout the fight he would be dead in reality.
Anyway as the fight wears on the partisan Moscow crowd start to warm to Balboa much to the annoyance of the Soviet high command. Drago becomes frustrated as Balboa starts to make some impact on the fight cutting Drago in the process and refusing to be defeated. Eventually Balboa somehow knocks Drago out and wins the fight.
In his victory address which is really corny and typically American, Balboa (Stallone) tells the crowd that they have changed, he has changed, everybody can change!
Some issues that annoyed me on watching the film. Why is Balboa's brother in law Pauley (Young) allowed to sit at press conferences and in the corner team. He is a useless peripheral character.
Creeds old trainer Duke doesnt age throughout the series including Rocky Balboa.
When watching the end credits it is revealed that the Russia scenes in reality were filmed in snowy British Columbia, Canada.
The film is relatively short for an action film so is a good time waster if you're bored. Not a bad entry. Certainly better than Rocky V. Stallone should have ended the series on a high here.
The soundtrack is excellent and has some excellent energized anthems throughout.
December 21, 2016
This jingoistic stupidity was obviously made to show the Americans overthrowing the Russians during the Cold War, but what is even worse is that in the end it seems like nothing more than a ridiculous montage of music video clips without any passion or good drama.
½ December 20, 2016
Everyone knows this is the best Rocky film. "I will break you." Classic.
December 20, 2016
Surprisingly not dated
½ December 19, 2016
If it wasn't evident enough that the Rocky franchise was running out of ideas with Rocky III, Rocky IV completely seals the deal. Like that preceding film, it's evident from the get-go that something's off here: following his win over Clubber Lang, Rocky is at home celebrating Paulie's birthday by gifting him with a robot servant. The film as a whole, once again written and directed by Sylvester Stallone, makes a lot of strange decisions like this, and just seems to lack the soul of the other films. It's the shortest film in the franchise, running just 91 minutes, but spends a baffling amount of time on montages. Training montages are to be expected - this is the Rocky franchise, after all - but one particular montage midway through the film that recounts the previous three films is overly long and doesn't really have the emotional impact it should. The training montages, especially the one that leads into the climactic final fight, are solid itself, but there's something completely off-putting about a big montage sequence that doesn't culminate in a rendition of "Gonna Fly Now." Vince DiCola is called in to take the music duties from Bill Conti, and the lack of the latter certainly shows.

As a result of this strange storytelling choice, Rocky IV completely lacks the one thing that defines the franchise: the character moments and growth of the protagonist. This is the first time Rocky has really gone nowhere as a character. In the past, he's dealt with overcoming the odds and living up to his personal goals, living in a world he wasn't truly prepared for, and having to find his passion when it's lost, but despite a major plot point at the film's midpoint, Rocky IV lacks a similar theme. His only goal here is to defeat another seemingly unbeatable heavyweight opponent, and that's disappointing. If there's one thing that keeps this from being a complete flop for the series, it's the thing the series has always handled well: the final fight. Dolph Lundgren's Ivan Drago makes for a compelling opponent for Balboa, and seeing him endure round after round has that Rocky spirit that the rest of the film lacks.
November 3, 2016
Another brilliant Rocky film, probably my favourite one out of the lot
October 15, 2016
Rocky IV was good but some were not. So let's talk about. It's Paul's birthday. They give Paulie a robot. He doesn't like it that much. Then we see Apollo Creed in his pool and on tv they are showing a boxer. In russia they think he is indestructible. Apollo wants to fight him. So when Apollo fights Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) Ivan punches him so hard that he dies. Rocky is mad about what happens and wants to fight him. The Russians don't want to fight in The U.S. they want to fight in Russia. So Rocky goes to Russia. Then there's the training montage which is awesome. There are two of them the best one is the second one with hearts on fire. They fight the beast of the Russian. Ivan Drago pouches Rocky a lot. Rocky starts to fight him and the song is also cool. Finally Rocky knocks him to the ground and wins the fight of his life. This movie has to go with 7/10. Its was a great movie but not to be a 10/10. The movie was good but it was kinda short and you can't fit much in a small time. So that's why I give it a 7/10.
September 27, 2016
I mean, look - Rocky IV is not a GOOD movie. The plot is thin, with a plot as adherent to the Rocky formula as Rocky III and a villain whose acting is just as ridiculous. The less said about Rocky Jr. and the robot, too, the better. It also creates some pretty ridiculous plot holes - Rocky says he's been married to Adrian for 9 years, but this seems to follow on directly from III, which follows directly from II, which follows immediately from I. And how could Rocky possibly withstand even a single haymaker from someone who punches at 4 times the maximum PPI?

BUT, I do think this is a much better film than III. Drago says barely anything, but is a million times more intimidating than frickin Clubber Lang (those feather earrings -_-). "If he dies - he dies" and "I must break you" are among the most bad ass lines ever uttered on screen.
And when he kills Apollo Creed, arguably the best actor in this series, I was genuinely affected - especially having already seen the incredible 2015 Creed film.

So f*ck it - Rocky IV is dumb fun, and - in my opinion - only the third worst in the series.
September 6, 2016
One of the most underrated Rocky's. It's different from 1 and 2, but not necessarily any worse. It's a bit more formulaic, but it pulls everything off magnificently.
August 28, 2016
Still one of the best movies ... and best soundtrack ever
August 13, 2016
Yeah, this movie sucks.
August 4, 2016
It follows a formula that is basically a tweaked version of the third one. It's an enjoyable movie but nothing stands out about it. It also is very cheesy for most of its runtime. I think if you're a fan of the movies that came before it, you can find enjoyment in it, but overall it is just an average boxing movie that is predictable and sometimes takes itself too seriously.
August 3, 2016
He fights Dolph Lundgren this time!

"YOU WILL LOSE !!!"

PS: I love Paulie's Robot, it was so CHEESE & this film is 33% montage!
jamrcla
July 18, 2016
Love my Rocky films so nothing bad ever to say about the Rocky series I just wish they didn't try and promote the soundtrack so much in this one, The fights however were again more OTT but very entertaining, A little bit more of a drama than the third but it's more about the boxing action than anything.
July 9, 2016
When I first watched this many years ago I remember how shocked I was to see Creed die in the ring. That made the story incredibly powerful and entertaining. Drago was good, but it was a bit cheesy that they made him an enhanced fighter. 4/5
½ July 6, 2016
Oh what could have been.

Somewhere in the middle of the montages, the cold war scare, and this fucking robot that was gifted to a middle aged man, there's some actual drama.

I think about the scene with Apollo and Rocky. Rocky basically asks him why he is fighting Drago. Apollo says, "I'm a fighter, that's what I do. I fight" but Rocky is aware of his mortality. He rebukes something to the effect of "You aren't as good as you used to be. You need to find something else."

Basically you are an old dog and your old way of life is not sustainable. Rocky also is struggling with this realization. If you take out the weird robot in the beginning of the movie and just looked at this scene, you would probably think this was something more akin to the first 3 Rockies.

The biggest issue this movie has is that there is no second act. It has a clearly defined 1st act (robot and pauly / living in america / apollo dies) and it has a 3rd act (montages / Rocky fights with Drago). Where's the second act?

Second act would and should have been Rocky debating whether or not to take the fight. In the movie, he immediately, I mean IMMEDIATELY took the fight. Jump cut immediately. Why? Doesn't it seem like that was pretty abrupt?

Yes, a Russian did just kill his best friend. But he just had a conversation with this friend that fighting wasn't really for Rocky anymore. So what we had is that he immediately accepted the fight and we are transported to Russia 40 minutes in the movie that still have 50 minutes to go. What do you do? TRAIN. TRAIN. TRAIN.

2nd act could have consisted of: Rocky mulling the decision to fight / thoughtful montage if you wanted to keep that theme going / Drago could bait Rocky into fighting (you are puny weak American, you drink Mike's Hard Lemonade like girly man) / Tearful scene with Adrian about his decision to go and you must stay here faithful wife (which then would have been a moment when she just randomly shows up to Russia) / eventually makes a decision to fight (broadcast on television, big deal maybe / Drago smiles and Rocky has fallen for the trap).

But this is all conjecture. That robot thing fucking kills any drama. How the fuck can you take this movie seriously with that shit in there? What the fuck even was that?

Luckily, this movie still have all the Nationalism you want. It's good to watch every 4th of July, especially for "living in America" and for the two matches. Skip the montages, you know how it ends.
June 27, 2016
It's cheesy but it's the USA beating Russia in this classic. It's goofy full of bad referee stoppages and cheesy lines and moments.
June 12, 2016