Rocky IV - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky IV Reviews

October 15, 2016
Rocky IV was good but some were not. So let's talk about. It's Paul's birthday. They give Paulie a robot. He doesn't like it that much. Then we see Apollo Creed in his pool and on tv they are showing a boxer. In russia they think he is indestructible. Apollo wants to fight him. So when Apollo fights Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) Ivan punches him so hard that he dies. Rocky is mad about what happens and wants to fight him. The Russians don't want to fight in The U.S. they want to fight in Russia. So Rocky goes to Russia. Then there's the training montage which is awesome. There are two of them the best one is the second one with hearts on fire. They fight the beast of the Russian. Ivan Drago pouches Rocky a lot. Rocky starts to fight him and the song is also cool. Finally Rocky knocks him to the ground and wins the fight of his life. This movie has to go with 7/10. Its was a great movie but not to be a 10/10. The movie was good but it was kinda short and you can't fit much in a small time. So that's why I give it a 7/10.
September 27, 2016
I mean, look - Rocky IV is not a GOOD movie. The plot is thin, with a plot as adherent to the Rocky formula as Rocky III and a villain whose acting is just as ridiculous. The less said about Rocky Jr. and the robot, too, the better. It also creates some pretty ridiculous plot holes - Rocky says he's been married to Adrian for 9 years, but this seems to follow on directly from III, which follows directly from II, which follows immediately from I. And how could Rocky possibly withstand even a single haymaker from someone who punches at 4 times the maximum PPI?

BUT, I do think this is a much better film than III. Drago says barely anything, but is a million times more intimidating than frickin Clubber Lang (those feather earrings -_-). "If he dies - he dies" and "I must break you" are among the most bad ass lines ever uttered on screen.
And when he kills Apollo Creed, arguably the best actor in this series, I was genuinely affected - especially having already seen the incredible 2015 Creed film.

So f*ck it - Rocky IV is dumb fun, and - in my opinion - only the third worst in the series.
September 6, 2016
One of the most underrated Rocky's. It's different from 1 and 2, but not necessarily any worse. It's a bit more formulaic, but it pulls everything off magnificently.
August 28, 2016
Still one of the best movies ... and best soundtrack ever
August 13, 2016
Yeah, this movie sucks.
August 4, 2016
It follows a formula that is basically a tweaked version of the third one. It's an enjoyable movie but nothing stands out about it. It also is very cheesy for most of its runtime. I think if you're a fan of the movies that came before it, you can find enjoyment in it, but overall it is just an average boxing movie that is predictable and sometimes takes itself too seriously.
August 3, 2016
He fights Dolph Lundgren this time!

PS: I love Paulie's Robot, it was so CHEESE & this film is 33% montage!
July 27, 2016
This jingoistic stupidity was obviously made to show the Americans overthrowing the Russians during the Cold War, but what is even worse is that in the end it seems like nothing more than a ridiculous montage of musical video clips without any passion or good drama.
July 18, 2016
Love my Rocky films so nothing bad ever to say about the Rocky series I just wish they didn't try and promote the soundtrack so much in this one, The fights however were again more OTT but very entertaining, A little bit more of a drama than the third but it's more about the boxing action than anything.
July 9, 2016
When I first watched this many years ago I remember how shocked I was to see Creed die in the ring. That made the story incredibly powerful and entertaining. Drago was good, but it was a bit cheesy that they made him an enhanced fighter. 4/5
½ July 6, 2016
Oh what could have been.

Somewhere in the middle of the montages, the cold war scare, and this fucking robot that was gifted to a middle aged man, there's some actual drama.

I think about the scene with Apollo and Rocky. Rocky basically asks him why he is fighting Drago. Apollo says, "I'm a fighter, that's what I do. I fight" but Rocky is aware of his mortality. He rebukes something to the effect of "You aren't as good as you used to be. You need to find something else."

Basically you are an old dog and your old way of life is not sustainable. Rocky also is struggling with this realization. If you take out the weird robot in the beginning of the movie and just looked at this scene, you would probably think this was something more akin to the first 3 Rockies.

The biggest issue this movie has is that there is no second act. It has a clearly defined 1st act (robot and pauly / living in america / apollo dies) and it has a 3rd act (montages / Rocky fights with Drago). Where's the second act?

Second act would and should have been Rocky debating whether or not to take the fight. In the movie, he immediately, I mean IMMEDIATELY took the fight. Jump cut immediately. Why? Doesn't it seem like that was pretty abrupt?

Yes, a Russian did just kill his best friend. But he just had a conversation with this friend that fighting wasn't really for Rocky anymore. So what we had is that he immediately accepted the fight and we are transported to Russia 40 minutes in the movie that still have 50 minutes to go. What do you do? TRAIN. TRAIN. TRAIN.

2nd act could have consisted of: Rocky mulling the decision to fight / thoughtful montage if you wanted to keep that theme going / Drago could bait Rocky into fighting (you are puny weak American, you drink Mike's Hard Lemonade like girly man) / Tearful scene with Adrian about his decision to go and you must stay here faithful wife (which then would have been a moment when she just randomly shows up to Russia) / eventually makes a decision to fight (broadcast on television, big deal maybe / Drago smiles and Rocky has fallen for the trap).

But this is all conjecture. That robot thing fucking kills any drama. How the fuck can you take this movie seriously with that shit in there? What the fuck even was that?

Luckily, this movie still have all the Nationalism you want. It's good to watch every 4th of July, especially for "living in America" and for the two matches. Skip the montages, you know how it ends.
June 27, 2016
It's cheesy but it's the USA beating Russia in this classic. It's goofy full of bad referee stoppages and cheesy lines and moments.
June 12, 2016
My favourite rocky film! So good so much heart. Slightly better than 2
June 12, 2016
Drago was unlikeable yet likeable at the same time. Major turning point in the Rocky franchise. Mountain training montage, all I gotta say.
June 11, 2016
A movie with a disappointingly thin storyline; a shell of its predecessors' glory. It was a forgettable addition to the franchise. Thank goodness it was short!
½ June 4, 2016
This is obviously a jingoistic attempt to show America beat Russia during the Cold War,and also the montages last over 30 minutes of the runtime.But Rocky 4 is still a good movie,thanks to Sylvester Stallone.
½ June 3, 2016
Rocky 4 is where the series completely jumps the shark and goes for every bit of 80s cheese possible with the premise literally being Rocky vs. The Soviet Union: it's wickedly entertaining! The story follows Rocky, biding his time since his retirement when a new, seemingly invincible Soviet boxer named, Ivan Drago arrives and Apollo Creed decides to defend America's honour and his own pride, by challenging him in the ring. The fight goes disastrously and upon insistence not to stop the fight, Apollo is killed with a fatal blow by Drago, and Rocky then challenges him to an unsanctioned fight in the Soviet Union to avenge his departed friend. We are then treated to the most over-the-top training montages of all-time as, Drago uses a high-tech facility that can even measure his punching strength, and Rocky has to use logs, stones, and other elements of nature for his training inside a log cabin. Ivan Drago is easily Rocky's toughest opponent having been constantly injected with steroids and bred to be a killer, and Dolph Lundgren does an excellent job portraying him with an almost wordless, cold-blooded demeanor. This film is nothing but entertainment, but it does make some odd choices such as Rocky gifting, Paulie a freakin' robot and the nonsense implications that the fight between Rocky and Drago literally brings an end to the Cold War. It's not my favourite entry in the series, but it's a lovingly cheesy watch that perfected its montage skills and excels in its boxing sequences!
May 17, 2016
Not as good as the previous 3!
May 6, 2016
I really like Rocky 4 but I think that Drago could of been better
½ April 29, 2016
A sweet soundtrack and solid performances from Carl Weathers and Dolph Lundgren save Rocky 4 from being a cheesy, over-the-top mess from Stallone