Rollerball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rollerball Reviews

February 2, 2019
The best thrilling and inspiring sci-fi movie ever made!
½ January 9, 2019
Hard to be objective about this one, as it's wrapped up in some nostalgic movies my father and I shared back in the day. Regardless, I still think it's an underappreciated film when placed in context of era and genre. I've watched it numerous times over the years; it doesn't demand too much from the viewer, but delivers on entertainment every time.
April 25, 2018
I think that this movie is awesome especially for it's vision of a dystopian future where there is a sport were people hurt each other. The story is ok but the scenes where you get to see the violent sport is spectacular.
April 11, 2018
A surprisingly intelligent and engaging Sci-Fi film. The concept is intriguing, the acting is actually pretty solid and the action of "rollerball" is pretty entertaining. One of the classic 70's Sci-Fi films that has an interesting message and more to offer than just visual effects.
March 6, 2018
There are many reasons to love this gem.
Bikes, blood and FIRE!Rollerball is a genre of it's own, and this is one of the best and most convincing FUTURE dystopian /sport films made.
the game(it was never really a game!) is fast, fun and truly REALIZED.
½ March 2, 2018
This was a strangely compelling movie. Their view of 2018 is both right on and completely off.... but the idea of the diminishing power of the individual over the corporate is as true today as it was the ....
February 1, 2018
It starts strong, dropping you straight into this mysterious world-but it never builds that world enough, never really explains itself, and never establishes the characters' motivations in a way that you're rooting for them at the end.
½ January 22, 2018
This is one of the better 70s films that takes a closer look at corporations taking over everything. The film has lived on with the cutting edge stunts and the depiction of a world that is quite frightening with the general push for capitalism in our modern age. James Caan is a great actor and is anchors a film that should not have seen the light of day, it's an odd studio film but Jewison brings that quality he has been well known for. The game is the true reason for the film and it is relentless, you never feel safe while these guys are playing such a ruthless game. This film has stood the test of time and is one of my favourite cult films, even though it did good business at the box office. More films should have this style of filmmaking and a lot less remakes that are extremely empty. A remake of this film has the chance to take the social aspect of this film and dial it up, the reboot ramped up the game which was a bad mistake. 20-01-2017 .
October 8, 2017
Classic movie. One of my all time favorite sci-fi movies.
September 17, 2017
a fun film about a violent imaginary sport
½ August 28, 2017
Sotto consiglio di un intenditore, mi sono imbattuto in questo vecchio e strano futuristico film degli anni Settanta, che vede come protagonista un James Caan nel pieno della sua carriera. Le premesse per questo film potevano essere disastrose, con un tema trattato molto assurdo che poteva sfociare involontariamente nella sfera comica. In realtÓ il risultato finale ha superato ben oltre le mie aspettative, con un film che porta a riflettere in numerose occasioni, con una trama molto interessante e scene d'azione ben coreografate e ben dirette. Il livello generale della pellicola viene innalzato da un finale strepitoso, che mi ha lasciato senza parole, nel quale viene sottolineato il messaggio intrinseco del film con scelte registiche innovative e sfruttate a regola d'arte. Nel complesso si tratta di un valido film di fantascienza, un classico del genere che merita sicuramente di essere visto da tutti gli appassionati.
½ July 15, 2017
Good James Caan movie
June 29, 2017
Still a great movie after all these years!
June 16, 2017
Though this dystopian science fiction sports action film (mouthful much?) has a solid premise, a good cast and incredible action within the arenas where the sport of Rollerball takes place it is utterly bogged down in unnecessary subplots (which don't come to any satisfying conclusion) and is just too long. There is a solid 80 or 90 minute film within this two hour plus film but sadly it is far too padded out.
June 2, 2017
classic scifi with dystopian future that we are getting closer to everyday lol so we will all be owned by a company and ost was great
January 29, 2017
What a strange movie. I'd like to think it's an amazing metaphor for monopolizing corporations at the time or something along those lines but it's too cluttered to really tell. James Cannes is fun to watch. This film is really all over the place but enjoyable in its pure ridiculousness.
½ January 12, 2017
There is something quite intriguing about this dystopian action sports thriller... on rollerskates. It's slow at times, choppy pacing, some audio mixing issues. Yet, it's fascinating. The plot information is limited, and gets spelled out in real time. Rating: 7 / 10
December 3, 2016
In a future where corporations run pretty much everything and individualism is a big no-no, James Caan is our noble savage, curious as to why he is being asked to retire. Unfortunately that's all there is to this attempt at social commentary which is more flash than dash. Eat your popcorn quickly so as to get a good nap in for the last quarter.
½ November 27, 2016
Oh my word does this film d-r-a-g. It's not that it's "deliberate" or "thoughtfully paced" - it's just largely very dull, which I was not expecting. The actual games are reasonably exciting and well edited, but the tedium that surrounds them and the utter deficit of interesting characters bores. This film may very well have been an influence on The Running Man and The Hunger Games, but those films (and the books they were based on) are entertaining, clever and sometimes profound. Rollerball just exists.
November 21, 2016