Roman Holiday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Roman Holiday Reviews

½ November 18, 2016
Audrey Hepburn is very charming and Rome provides a nice setting. The ending is balanced and appropriate.
September 17, 2016
Dalton Trumbo's perfect script, flawlessly brought to life by Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck is a timeless classic that gets better with each viewing
August 28, 2016
Undeniably charming, although I'd argue Peck is miscast (he's just not scrappy enough for this role) but that hardly matters. That bittersweet ending is just wonderful.
August 8, 2016
Princess Ann (Audrey Hepburn) is feeling overwhelmed by her duties as a monarch and elects to play hooky in Rome during a goodwill tour. She blunders into the clutches of a journalist (Gregory Peck) who sees her as the ticket to a juicy (and lucrative) headline, but things go in a direction that neither figure anticipated. Roman Holiday plays into a number of romantic comedy tropes, but it subverts genre cliches just as often as it exploits them (The ending takes a relatively more nuanced and believable tone when it could've easily gone for the tacky, trite, and crowd-pleasing route that a lazier movie would've happily taken). However, despite the intelligent and witty screenplay, Roman Holiday's finest asset is in the understated and affected facial acting of both Hepburn and Peck; they are critically effective at projecting the senses of desire, responsibility, and vulnerability found in their respective characters.
½ August 3, 2016
A classic romantic comedy with Audrey Hepburn shining on the lead role, Roman Holiday is as lovely as it is funny.
July 25, 2016
The original rom-com. This zany feature sets the stage for Hepburn and she dances all the way with it.
½ July 13, 2016
A classic that has as much star power as it does charm.
May 15, 2016
I haven't seen every romantic comedy ever made, But I can certainly see why "Roman Holiday" is considered the best romantic comedy ever made. Long after Peck, Hepburn, their characters, and the era they loved in have passed, I'm still hoping the best for them.
½ May 4, 2016
Roman Holiday (1953) ??? 1/2
Wonderful comedy with Audrey Hepburn a bored and sheltered princess who escapes her life to live with Gregory Peck in Rome, whom she fell in love with. Peck and Oscar-winner Hepburn anchor this fun film. Direction by William Wyler.
April 16, 2016
Romance at its best! Peck and Hepburn share a very unique and romantic chemistry that is unbeatable by other movie couples of all ages. The plot may be familiar as it has been very much used in this generation, but I bet during the first showing of Roman Holiday, this was the most romantic, and still is for me personally, movie they have seen.
April 16, 2016
One of the all time great romantic comedies, with wonderful performances from Hepburn & Peck. It's just really hard to not smile all the way through it.
½ April 14, 2016
There's something comfortably familiar about the plot of Roman Holiday. It's certainly not the first time I've seen a movie with a story that was set up this way. The plot is always the same, it is about a famous person running away and meeting someone who lies about their identity to get something from the celebrity. Naturally they fall in love. This movie handled it in a very sweet fashion with rather innocent adventures that I couldn't imagine being all that embarrassing for her. That is the one thing that I had difficulty with when watching Roman Holiday. With the exception of a few details, which could have been left out, it felt like they could have written an article that wasn't even remotely salacious. In the end, I was genuinely worried about Gregory Peck's financial well-being because of how things are left. That little quibble aside, I found the ending simply magical. It was so different from any of my expectations that I had a huge smile on my face throughout that sequence. Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn were excellent and showed why they are legends in the business. Eddie Albert offered good comic relief moments, and his interactions with Peck genuinely felt like 2 friends who totally understand one another. There were definitely slow moments in the story that I wish it had moved through more smoothly, but the overall experience of watching Roman Holiday was nice. It's a charming film that I would recommend to others.
April 3, 2016
Good script, good acting and directing, and gorgeous setting - the perfect film for a spring Sunday afternoon.
½ March 23, 2016
It's not as comedic as it's made out to be, but it's still a fun romantic comedy that introduced the world to the beautiful and talented Audrey Hepburn.
March 7, 2016
A great movie at its time. Despite it is in black and white, it is hard to forget the story and the scenes, especially the one at the end when Hepburn looked down from the throne as a princess to Peck. Great script Trumbo.
March 6, 2016
"Roman Holiday" is remarkable just because Audrey Hepburn isn't gratingly over-the-top as she is in most movies. "Roman Holiday" is well-scripted and well-acted with gorgeous visuals shot on location in Italy. It's a charming film with wit fresh enough for a modern audience.
February 26, 2016
Still a damn good movie.
January 24, 2016
Thanks North Park theatre for showing this gem. I can't help but think that this movie inspired my favorite movie Lost in Translation. 2 foreigners in Rome, meet by accident and have a romp then say goodbye, to never see each other again. Great film.
January 15, 2016