The Rugrats Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rugrats Movie Reviews

½ February 2, 2019
A movie that would startle or frighten young children, which is the target demo for the film. It is a nice tale and adventure of the Rugrats which tells the importance of family
December 19, 2018
I don't wish to write ill about a movie which is primarily geared towards small kids but this isn't that good a movie at all. Parents who bring their young offspring to The Rugrats Movie will likely find that the children appreciate what the film has to offer. However, with the high level of quality available in several other current family productions (Antz, The Wizard of Oz, and the soon-to-be-released A Bug's Life), one wonders why someone would choose The Rugrats Movie. The film isn't unwatchable, but these tiny cartoon characters belong where they were born: on a television set, where a discriminating viewer can use the remote control to banish them. The film is basically an extended version of an episode of the TV series, with only slightly elevated production values. If your age is under 10, this is all probably engaging, if not I suggest you give this film a pass.(Strictly for under 10 only).
November 29, 2018
Emocional y bella, genial para niƱos y adultos
½ September 30, 2018
C-

Kids will probably love it, but it didn't do much for me.
August 10, 2018
the good thing is if we remove the first twenty minutes, from there we would say that the movie started, because the beginning hints at a chapter of the series but longer, however, making the film of an animated series is always risky, is not it? it is to make it not a simple elongated chapter, but a true adventure for our heroes that is worth seeing in theaters, Rugrats the film offers a beautiful lesson about loving the brothers and although, I expected in the plot more action and drama, well, even so, I think it's good for those of us who are fans of Rugrats.
July 31, 2018
Ok, looking back on Rugrats, I think I like it for different reasons than I did when I was a kid. In this movie, I still like seeing these kids on their feature length adventure. I'm a little surprised the percentage is this low both from the audiences and the critics. I would say my two problems with the movie is that the kids can occasionally get annoying and a lot of the characters they introduce for the movie are actually pointless. Those two things aside, the movie has a pretty good adventure, charm, and heart and I do recommend it if you did ever watch the show.This movie is nothing great but its decent.
June 10, 2018
"The Rugrats Movie is still a great start for Nicktoon films. Tommy and Dil's brother bond is lovely and brought me to tears. The babies adventure was incredible, especially with the Reptar Wagon. Everyone looked out for each other, and we're brave in the adventure. My family especially enjoyed it and we will keep enjoying this movie forever."
March 17, 2018
With an ASTONISHING story, brilliant animation, and lovable characters THEIRS NO DENYING THAT THE RUGRATS MOVIE IS SUCH A CLASSIC.
February 4, 2018
I think the movie it's excellent
September 2, 2017
Now I use to watch Rugrats all the time on Nickelodeon but sweet now they have the movie of it witch rocks! It is a good time to watch rugrats!!
½ June 15, 2017
For anyone not in the know, [i]Rugrats[/i] was a highly popular cartoon series which aired on Nickelodeon in 1991 and ran through until 2004. The basic plot behind the series was seeing the world through a babies perspective, from a babies point of view. The main baby in question was Tommy Pickles, along with his small gang of baby friends, Chuckie, Phil and Lil. We follow this little group of babies as they get into all sorts of imaginary adventures and mischief born out of sheer curiosity and wonder.

Like other cartoons on Nickelodeon at the time one aspect of the series that stuck out was the artistic style or look of the cartoon. Most of the characters were generally human in shape and form but over exaggerated, almost like caricatures based on real people. The babies had quite big heads with large eyes and mouths, whilst the grown ups had very distinctive features that were simply overemphasized for a more comical look. The whole cartoon was always from the babies point of view which meant very low angles with everything looking more intimidating and obviously larger. Much like [i]Hey Arnold![/i] or [i]Doug[/i] this world was presented semi realistically but obviously in a more simplified manner. The cartoon was generally big bold and colourful but with a more sensible vibe and tone; where as say [i]Hey Arnold![/i] tended to be much more vivid and cartoony looking.

Of course it wasn't all just pretty visuals, the characters were the main selling point and they certainly hit a home run with these lill fellas. The wholesome, brave, bold, heroic, diaper wearing Tommy Pickles. The quivering ginger scaredy-cat Chuckie, who also happens to be one of the eldest. The cheeky twins Phil and Lil who like to eat bugs and play in the mud. Angelica the spoilt, bossy, blonde brat that is always out for number one. And newbie character Dil the baby, who drools a lot. All the other regular favourites are also present and correct from Spike the dog, Susie the girl from next door, Dr. Lipschitz, Grandpa Lou and all the other parents.

So as said all of the little plots in the series surround everyday life and events for the babies as they go through life. Naturally this being the first big movie outing for the series the plot has to reflect that and be...bigger, makes sense. This movie sees the introduction of baby Dil which naturally makes Tommy unhappy in time as Dil gets all the attention. Not that Tommy is a selfish character, no,he just feels left out and forgotten. Unfortunately over time Dil pushes Tommy and the other babies too far with his umm...babyish antics, so the gang decide to take him back to the hospital. This leads the babies on an accidental collision course with fate as they get more than they bargained for getting lost in the wilderness.

So essentially this is in fact a very generic plot involving the babies getting lost, the parents finding out and having to go search for them. Along the way we get various cameos from old and new characters and mini side plots including the bratty Angelica searching for her precious doll Cynthia which Dil picked up before hand. So alas its all very routine stuff that doesn't really push the barrier of originality. Its a real shame since many of the TV episodes have some fantastic little plots utilising the babies imagination and some unique locations. This movie just didn't use any of that apart from a small (again generic [i]Indiana Jones[/i]-esque) intro sequence. For the rest of the time its just too sensible and grounded if I can say that. I didn't really wanna see the babies out in the wilderness for real, lost, cold and genuinely in danger. None of that felt right, [i]Rugrats[/i] should be a much lighter affair.

Did we really need to see the babies getting stuck on a rickety bridge almost falling to their deaths? Did we need lots of eerie circus monkeys running around like evil goblins attacking the babies? When the babies get trapped in a van which crashes of the side of a mountainous road!! Jesus!! Getting tracked and attacked by a wild wolf. Almost drowning in rapids. Lost, cold and hungry in the forest at night with the parents in pieces trying to find them?? It all just felt a bit too much really.

Unfortunately this being a modern update of the cartoon, so to speak, this also meant other new features which had never cropped up before. Whilst the animation was very nice all round, it just didn't have the same colourful vibe that the TV series had. Again the more realistic plot lead to a more realistic artistic look with muted colours or more authentic effects. Of course it still looked like [i]Rugrats[/i], but like other famous cartoon TV series ([i]The Simpsons[/i]) the earlier series will always stand out as the classic look, the epitome of the franchise. When the animation was a bit ropy but (clearly) packed with lots of tender loving care for each frame. This movie just looks too glossy, sharp and clean. It utilises CGI which stands out a mile and ruins the whole hand drawn look and vibe.

To make mattes even worse they actually added songs into the mix, songs! Let me be clear, there has never been any songs in the TV series...except for the odd plot related occasion. This whole angle just felt like a cheesy tacky way of muscling in on Disney and padding out the movies runtime (to me anyway). There was just no need for crappy songs. But wait there's more! They even add horrendous R&B/hip hop (whatever they were) tracks to the end credits for fucks sake. If anything is the absolute epitome of modern day kids flicks trying to embrace and suck up to 'new modern culture' its the use of ghastly hip hop songs in the credits. I wouldn't mind but at least use these songs for movies that fit them, [i]Rugrats[/i] does not require that type of music. Anyone who has seen the TV series will know that.

So as a fan of the series I was ultimately disappointed with this initial outing simply because I know it could of been so much more. Yes there are plenty of little humorous moments, cutesy delightful touches and lots of heartfelt schmaltz, but that's to be expected. What I really wanted to see was a great big imaginative adventure utilising the babies creativity and hijinks around the house, garden or various local buildings (much like the series episodes). I realise its a hard ball to juggle when making a movie but this just felt way too safe, corny and easy, much like the [i]Doug[/i] movie plot. The influx of modern pop culture references, songs, CGI and the scary factor in the plot just takes you out of the movie because its nothing like the TV show basically. This just felt like a misfire to me.
May 1, 2017
A good movie that I have liked since I was a kid! And it's pretty silly movie
½ March 15, 2017
It's colorful, active, and charming for fans of the show. But it's no masterpiece...
February 14, 2017
As a diehard fan of the show, the first movie felt a solid enough ride.
February 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ November 27, 2016
The animation is gross. From the same animators that did 'Aahh Real Monsters'. Sorry, but I don't think someone who's specialties include drawing monsters should be allowed to draw babies for a children's show. The main babies from the show are ugly enough. But the new characters and movie extras are downright disturbing. On top of that, there are many not so subtle adult jokes and themes. Complete inappropriate for a children's movie.
November 20, 2016
There is good music in this movie and it is interesting how the rug rats are lost and they all need to be a team so then they can be safe we're all their parents are looking for them. So this movie can teach you how to work as a team. I like the rug rats cartoon series and movie!
November 16, 2016
For starters I was very happy that a film based on this series was made. I love Rugrats. But...I thought this film was just okay. I liked some things about it, just not all of them. I liked that they gave Tommy a new baby brother and that Deedee and Stew tried to teach him responsibly, and showing the hardships of adjusting to a new sibling. But I felt that it could've been looked at more. It just felt overlooked to me. There is some fun adventure, but I felt that it was forced and some of the peril was a bit too intense for babies. Dil is a cute character, although unnecessary. Maybe if they focused on him and Tommy just getting along with support from the rest of the gang, I would've enjoyed it more. But hey, it's still Rugrats, so even though I don't like it that much, I appreciate it.
August 21, 2016
Not a bad attempt at a first movie, but a tad frightening for children.
½ July 21, 2016
WHO NEEDS THE RUGRATS ANYWAY??!! THEY FREAKING SUCK HARD!!!! EVEN THE RUGRATS MOVIES ARE A HUGE PILE OF GARBAGE! THE RUGRATS MOVIE is a movie that re-defines the word, "suck", for eighty minutes. I watched this movie on DVD (so glad I didn't waste money to see this in the theater) and by the first quote was muttered, I knew this was going to suck. Like how The Wild made Madagascar look bad and Happily N'Ever After made Shrek look bad, The Rugrats Movie makes The Simpsons Movie look bad! EXTREMELY BAD!! I don't know how this happened but a few weeks ago, I felt like watching it again. The movie offers no heart and the humor is so dry and bad. Even the voice acting is bad! This marks as the worst animated film made by Nickelodeon Movies. If you have nothing to do on a boring day, watch The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie instead of watching this.