Ruthless People - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ruthless People Reviews

½ June 29, 2016
Una de las mejores comedias de los 80 y de todos los tiempos...Love it!
½ June 6, 2016
Very funny and well done. Definitely one to watch.
½ May 24, 2016
While a little dated, Ruthless people still provides a healthy amount of laughs largely due to a script that's, well, ruthless.
May 16, 2016
its a funny movie have it on streaming Netflix us please, :)
May 5, 2016
A couple kidnap their ex bosses wife only to discover he's unwilling to pay a ransom for her return because he's glad she's gone. Very well written comedy with memorable performances.
½ March 11, 2016
Without all the madness of Airplane, The Naked Gun or Top Secret, the trio: Jim Abrahams and David and Jerry Zucker made a terrific intelligent comedy, with the misunderstandings between the characters, the complex plot, a funny cast (with the best of Danny DeVito) make Ruthless People one of the greatest comedy film of the 80's and of the Touchstone Pictures. Fresh.
½ February 3, 2016
It works wonderfully well - hilarious, surprising and silly as all hell. I love this movie.
½ January 1, 2016
If we're being ruthless - this film probably shouldn't have been made! A very weak premise, with Sam (DeVito) wanting to kill his wife (Barbara - Midler), only for her to be kidnapped by Ken (Reinhold) & Sandy (Slater), who mean well & get off in the end - great morals! Pullman's as wooden as ever in his first role and Midler is annoying - it's mostly just stupid, with a few laughs, but not enough.
½ October 9, 2015
10/9/2015: Some pretty cheesy 80's fun. Not a great movie, but the cast is excellent and there are some funny moments. So cheesy though, especially the 80's clothing and home decor.
August 11, 2015
The best Coen brothers comedy the Coen brothers never made. "Ruthless People" is a laugh per minute crime caper.
½ August 4, 2015
Face it - there aren't a lot of truly funny comedies out there. Some of them start out ok, but once the gags already seen in the trailers are exhausted, there's not much left - and the lead characters have to learn some lesson or grow as people. Blah! Ruthless people is pure comedy from start to finish. This film is well-written, well cast and, if you'll excuse this lapse into "blurb-speak", is a fun romp. One of my favourite comedies of all time.
½ July 8, 2015
Ruthless People is not as good as the other works by Jim Abrahams and the Zucker brothers, but is still quite hilarious at times and actually has a pretty interesting plot. Danny DeVito is hilarious here, as are Bette Midler and Judge Reinhold. The writing is quite strong and every scene seemingly manages to have a joke or two, as is customary in their films. Not all of the jokes work out here and it can go too far at times, but for the most part, it manages to be hilarious and provides for some serious entertainment as the hour and a half just flies by.
April 19, 2015
I finally got around to watching this, and while it isn't as wacky as most other Zucker/Zucker/Abrahams projects, it is a well crafted dark comedy that is often hilarious and still full of entertaining buffoonery.
March 22, 2015
The title sure did not lie and the crude and rude jokes were right on their targets.
½ January 30, 2015
Hilarious from start to finish. Full review later.
January 2, 2015
Ótima comédia! Boas atuações, roteiro bem escrito e enredo bem bolado.
½ November 2, 2014
Ok it's not going to win Academy Awards but it deserves it's a high rating as it's one of my favorites from my childhood and it's pure 1980s at its best. 9/10
September 29, 2014
A very clever funny movie that has good gags with good performances I really enjoyed this film
Grade A-
½ August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
August 8, 2014
Clocking in at a whopping ninety minutes, Ruthless People feels a tad undercooked. Ruthless People was pretty clearly made as a disposable movie; there's no looking towards posterity here. It's silly and predictable and funny. You'll get a laugh out of how "ruthless" the kidnappers are, and Bette has some really classic lines like "I've been kidnapped by K-Mart!" And while I'm on the subject of the actors, not a single person is miscast here. Even Bette Midler, playing Sam's wife, manages to shed her outrageous and larger-than-life persona for this initially dumpy and overweight house frau type. And while Reinhold and Pullman are very good, the movie belongs to DeVito. The fine direction is by Jim Abrahams, who has a lot of talent for directing comedies, and keeps the spirit of the script alive and pumping, resulting in a merely hilarious movie. However, familiarity and predictability do begin to take their toll a little towards the end. For the most part, though, it proves thoroughly entertaining.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)