Salesman Reviews

• Apr 09, 2019

The ideal partner for this fly-on-the-wall documentary would be Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross. The same desperation and exploitation of vulnerable people (customers and salesmen both), the boredom and slog of chasing impossible targets while feigning cheerfulness in shared third rate motels. Sad, bleakly funny, and a wonderful microcosmic snapshot of the emptiness of the American Dream.

• Mar 12, 2017

Deeply strange, heartbreaking, beautiful. a masterpiece of a kind.

Deeply strange, heartbreaking, beautiful. a masterpiece of a kind.

• Nov 26, 2016

Something I didn't know much about.

Something I didn't know much about.

• Apr 24, 2016

Whilst it's slow and its style hasn't aged brilliantly, 'Salesman' remains an important entry in the world of documentary film thanks to its in-depth look at, you guessed it: salesmen. I hate sales jobs- everything about them. I was a street fundraiser for a charity one summer and I was miserable. Even for a good cause, I couldn't bring myself to take money from people. Well, some people are good at it and that's really the focus of this film. It's fascinating how relevant the film remains today, given that I, at 23 years of age, could easily relate it to many of my own experiences. Bible salesmen might not be around much these days (at least not where I live) but the story is the same. It's a human drama really- the pressure of adulthood and the workplace, pressure to confirm, the power of social status, buying something to fill the void- whatever, it's all there. The most interesting element for me, however, was the moral quandary of it all- how, in the end, do you justify trying to meet your target? You know what you're selling isn't worth it but you go for the hard sell anyway- that's the real kicker with this film. One scene that really brought it home for me was when one of the salesmen tries to sell a collection of bibles to a woman who had recently moved to America- she often didn't even understand what he was saying. He'd essentially pushed his way into her house and taken up her time and, even as it was clear that she was quite confused, he continued to just try and get to her purse. Fortunately, in that case, he was (eventually!) sent home packing. Watching that unfold on film is simply remarkable and yet, I can tell you from experience, that it happens in countless people's homes to this day, 24/7 .

• Jan 25, 2016

• Jan 19, 2016

There should be more films like this. It was like watching a memory.

There should be more films like this. It was like watching a memory.

• Aug 17, 2015

A classic and important documentary directed by the genius Maysles Brothers. The cinema verite classic has tons of influential filmmaking techniques, that make it one of the most important documentary films of all time. The film is very sad in it's portrayal of struggling salesmen who try to sell expensive bibles to poor families and get rejected. The film makes you feel awful for both the failing salesmen and the poor families they visit.

• Feb 03, 2015

A singular documentary that makes you very thankful that you are not selling Jesus on the HP.

• Sep 10, 2014

Purposely uncomfortable at times, ''Salesman'', by the Mayles brothers, opens up alienation in the most genuine way.

• Jun 23, 2014

An interesting documentary looking at the life of a bible salesman. Not only do you get a personal look at all the salesman and the art of their profession, but you also get to see the ups and downs of the salesman life.