Santa Claus: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Santa Claus: The Movie Reviews

ScoopOnline
December 13, 2009
Not one of the best Santa Claus Movies but a nice Santa Movie.
thmtsang
½ December 21, 2008
This is one of the first Christmas movies I saw as a child. There is an evil toy manufacturer who tricks Patch (head elf) to produce toys to eliminate the need for Santa Claus but Santa saves the day. Hooray!
½ August 17, 2007
It wasn't a magical Christmas movie. You'd expect from the folks who brought us the Superman films, something called "Santa Claus - The Movie" would be truly amazing. But it was a dismal bore. Santa had no personality. Dudley was good as the bad Elf. There was no magic here.
½ February 6, 2007
I saw this as a kid and have always liked it. It doesn't take itself too serious and thats what makes it a fun watch.
sanjurosamurai
January 24, 2007
good christmas flick
jim222001us
August 27, 2007
It's more watchable than critics made it sound. The cast make it worth seeing for one thing.
December 22, 2007
I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes - not my cup of tea.
July 1, 2007
My favorite Christmas film from childhood. Perhaps it doesn't hold up as well now, but it has the definitive Santa and Santa folklore. Dudley Moore is adorable, John Lithgow is deliciously bad. I agree the pacing isn't the greatest, and it feels a little disjointed. But although the pieces don't fit together perhaps as well as they should, and they should have cut the ridiculous "Super Duper Looper", there are some beautiful, funny and inventive parts to love every Christmas viewing.

"When you give extra kisses, you get bigger hugs."
½ November 28, 2014
I expected so much more. I felt that the opening song and the exterior look of the North Pole were enchanting, but the rest of the movie was quite the opposite. Very dated and almost unwatchable. (First and only viewing - 11/29/2014)
½ December 22, 2011
One of the better Christmas movies, mostly due to some good performances. However, some of the wonder of Santa is lost in his efficiency contests and the fact that he is known throughout the world. He is basically a socialist toy company. The McDonald's commercial cracked me up, in part because I recall going to McDonald's in 1986 and getting a story book for this movie.
May 31, 2010
A good Christmas movie that seems to have been forgotten under the flood of terrible Christmas movies.
½ November 23, 2009
Not a terribly fun depiction of the birth of christmas... kind of a mix between christmas spirit and the CHRISTmas spirit... didn't work to well
March 29, 2009
Decades before Tim Allen killed this idea, Dudley Moore and John Lithgow did it with a certain quirky style. Fabled old St. Nick is in trouble when an evil arctic bad guy threatens to destroy him but since it's a comedy the results are often funny it between boths of just outright silly.
February 18, 2009
I used to watch this all the time during Christmas as a kid. I think this explains Santa's origin and others well.
January 27, 2008
The first will always be a classic and my favorite. I love the interaction between scott calvin and the kids. I also love the elves in this movie and there are some hilarious quotes.
½ June 28, 2007
When this first came out, I wanted so badly to visit Santa at the north pole....then my brother told me he didn't exist. Yep....that brother of mine is still up for auction.
½ June 28, 2007
Was great when i was a kid...as i got older... WTF is going on in this flick!!! People die!... Merry Chistmas!!
June 15, 2007
A cute and campy look into the Magical World Of Claus! The acting is not Oscar material, but the family will love the sweet story and holiday visuals!
½ March 16, 2007
the only christmas movie I can tolerate.. my reason being that the red haired girl was another one I had a crush on when I was a kid.. (come on I think she's a couple of years older than me).. and dudley moore is funny..
½ December 3, 2006
Santa clause was kind of lame. Don't get this confused with "The Santa Clause" That movie is really good.