Santa Claus: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Santa Claus: The Movie Reviews

½ December 24, 2016
Looks nice, but doesn't make a lot of sense.
½ December 18, 2016
Lavishly made, warm and colourful with plenty of heart, an entertaining movie if not a particularly great one. There's plenty of moustache twirling from John Lithgow as the villain of the peice and the special effects are mostly very well done with charmingly puppeteered reindeer that almost steal the show.
½ December 16, 2016
I can't really call this a great movie. I hesitate to even call it a good movie. But there's enough good stuff in it that I can give it a moderate recommendation. For the first half hour, I was really into it. I liked their take on Santa's origins, and I actually really liked how seriously they took it. They treat it like a serious mythology, and that's a pretty cool take. Once his origin is covered though, it gets a helluva lot sillier to an almost cartoonish level. Santa's old school methods are being challenged by an amoral toymaker obsessed with money and efficiency and a well-meaning but na´ve elf who's helping him. A good idea I guess, and Santa talking about it has some nice moments, but despite a couple good laughs it feels like a step down from the stuff in the beginning. It basically feels like a totally different movie. Then there's the kids. I like the idea of these kids, but their actors are godawful and whoever wrote for them seemed to think all children talk like Bill and Ted. The first act of this movie is so good, and then it's just a lot of pretty good ideas executed in a sloppy manner, and some scenes showing off green screen effects that I'm sure they were proud of at the time but really haven't aged that well. There's enough in this movie I liked. I liked the mythology, I liked the set design of the North Pole, and I liked the guy playing Santa. I even liked some of the goofier moments with John Lithgow even if they contradicted the tone the film had earlier. I liked the movie enough that I can see myself coming back to it on future Christmases, and if you haven't seen it I do recommend checking it out if you're curious, but I just can't give this a positive rating. It's just not a very good movie. Still, it has some enjoyment in it, just be sure to moderate your expectations.
½ November 25, 2016
I know not the best it is over top cheesy etc. All those things you except in 1980's film. However is throughly enjoyable. You feel everything from sappiness when the elf leaves. Santa desperation at changing world . Mrs. Claus kind gentleness. Lithgow (it doesn't matter his character name he is always Lithgow to those around my age younger people may not get it) slimyness. It is much more heart warming and genuine then Tim Allen fair. I believed this Santa as Santa Claus I didn't get that from other later film nearing same name from previous mentioned star. I enjoy this film sappiness amd all and chances are most of you will to. oddly one of peoples biggest complaints is the super duper luper I can explain it makes more sense then you all seem to get he had to drive over in explosion so Santa own sleigh wouldn't be hit by explosion and be quick enough to catch Patch and Jo.
October 31, 2016
This is the best Santa Claus film I have ever seen. If any film can make you believe in Santa, then this is it.
August 15, 2016
As an eight year old child, I recall this movie as a highlight to my Christmas holiday in 1985. Memorable to the point that I purchased it recently on iTunes for my 5 year old. He is in awe every time he watches it.
½ April 29, 2016
Super corny, but fairly cute kids movie about the birth of the Santa Claus legend as we know it.
January 2, 2016
Extremely boring and unimaginative.Lacks the Christmas magic.Totally and extremely forgettable.
December 24, 2015
"Now, all those within the sound of my voice, and all those on this Earth everywhere know that henceworth you will be called Santa Claus".

The story is about a peasant woodcutter becomes Santa Claus and later foils an evil toy manufacturer's scheme to take over Christmas.

Santa Claus: The Movie has it's flaws and dose have a lot of stupid moments, but I personally find this movie a guilty pleasure. It's got heart and the movie itself gets the feel of Christmas spot on.
December 20, 2015
One of those films that seems great when your a kid, turns to crap in your teens and twenties and gains a kind of kitsch value in your thirties, it's not really an actual honest to god good movie, in fact one of it's only real standout's is the slightly bewildered looking Dudley Moore, he gives his role as Patch the elf a warmth and charm that came naturally for the actor, sadly this was the movie that instantly kinda killed his Hollywood career after his breakout in "Arthur". But the real reason to watch this garish, none more 80's product placement fest is John Lithgow, hilariously owning his role as over the top, yuppie sleaze-bag BZ who is so greedy he corners the market on Christmas and even gives it a sequel in March ( We'll call it CHRISTMAS 2!) he's so much fun in the role that it leads you to briefly believe that theres a subversive edge under all the gag inducing holiday fakeness, there isnt. But this is nice and festive if you need to get in that cheery mood.
December 11, 2015
This was a film of my childhood - and just as I imagined Father Christmas - a great kids movie!
½ December 7, 2015
It's dated, corny and the effects don't hold up that well. but it has allot of heart, the acting is pretty decent, Lithgow is delightfully over the top and it does have a really nice christmas feel to it. it has it's flaws, but i personally think this movie is underrated. Give it a watch, you will find some joy in it.
November 24, 2015
A must watch for christmas pure classic
August 2, 2015
I am not the biggest fan of this film. To be honest I thought it was awful but I will give credit to the acting, I liked the acting, particularly Patch and the homeless Orphan. But overall it wasn't to my taste.
February 12, 2015
Amazing production design (for its time) fails to help what is an incredibly weak story.
½ February 7, 2015
jon lithglow with hair!!! where's Rudolph? aside from that a traditional & warming take on santa
December 30, 2014
I watched this every year as a child, and I still do each year now, that has to mean its very good
December 28, 2014
Even though the Super Dooper Looper was totally unnecessary and somehow John Lithgow's character is still alive (making sound in outer space), I do not care! This movie is Christmas fun and a childhood guilty pleasure.
December 25, 2014
My favorite Christmas film from childhood. Perhaps it doesn't hold up as well now, but it has the definitive Santa and Santa folklore. Dudley Moore is adorable, John Lithgow is deliciously bad. I agree the pacing isn't the greatest, and it feels a little disjointed. But although the pieces don't fit together perhaps as well as they should, and they should have cut the ridiculous "Super Duper Looper", there are some beautiful, funny and inventive parts to love every Christmas viewing.

"When you give extra kisses, you get bigger hugs."
December 24, 2014
Screw the Tomatometer! I love this movie! I loved it when I was kid and I'll continue to love it until I'm dead. Defiantly a great holiday classic!