Santa Claus: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Santa Claus: The Movie Reviews

January 7, 2018
Clásicos reloaded: De chico grababa películas en VHS. Generalmente las películas estreno del 7 y el 13 los días Dgo. Después llegaba a aprendérmelas casi de memoria de tanto verlas. Esta es una de ellas, Santa Claus: la película (1985). Solía ser un clásico del 7 para la época en la 2da mitad de los 80. Hace unos 27~28 años que no la veía, así que la bajé para ver como envejeció.

Lamentablemente considero que la peli no sobrevivió el paso del tpo. La 1ra mitad me parece super bien llevada la verdad. Muestra el origen del viejito pascuero. Es muy "Santa Claus begins", jajaja. Hay harta magia como explicación al mito del viejito pascuero que me parece bien tratada. Bien enfocada. En la 2da mitad todo se hace más blandengue, pq le tira el protagonismo a otras situaciones que son mas bien poco creíbles, torpes o mal armadas. Imperdonable la última escena de la peli, jajaja. También su pseudo crítica al capitalismo/producción-en-masa no cuaja del todo, aunque fue una buena intención. Otra cosa positiva de la película es su hermoso diseño de escenarios. Mucho juguetito y montones de cosas de madera.

De todas maneras un cabro chico disfrutaría harto esta película. La próxima navidad volveré a verla para sentir eso que sentía cuando tenía 8~9 años. Que bueno haberla recuperado. Pero no, no es una gran película. 2 de 5.
December 28, 2017
Critics these days seem devoid of any nostalgic value, with ££££££$$$ clouding thier judgement. For one person to say this movie, "didn't make sense." It doesn't take an ounce of brain power to see this is Santa's origin story, explaining how he came to be, how his methods arouse, how he's able to do it all in one night and how change can affect many things. Patch is an idealist manufacturer, whereas puffy is a traditionalist and how society's attitude to christmas and the less fortunate span the decades. It's a bold flick, encompassing old tech that, although obviously dated, still holds up the magic of Christmas today.
Why was BZ still alive floating in space? grr so dumb? Nay! The man just overdosed on a magical concoction of candy canes! This takes place in it's own movie universe where magic is real and able to overcome physics.
It's a great movie, targeted at children not miserable humbug adults with thier indoctrinated opinions.
December 27, 2017
Our favourite santa movie
½ December 24, 2017
Lame boring Santa Claus movie.
December 17, 2017
A great movie that has been unfairly criticised over the years, a wonderful magical film for all the family to enjoy.
½ December 2, 2017
You'd think that a movie called Santa Claus: The Movie would be oozing with magic, but, owing problems arising from a rather lacklustre script and cringe-making performances, this falls far short of what's desired.
November 4, 2017
This is the best Santa Claus film I have ever seen. If any film can make you believe in Santa, then this is it.
October 24, 2017
This is one of best 80s Christmas movie of all time ever, who truly to Believe Santa Claus
January 28, 2017
best Christmas film ever made, nothing can come close to this classic! still makes me want to believe in Santa Claus lol.
½ December 24, 2016
Looks nice, but doesn't make a lot of sense.
½ December 18, 2016
Lavishly made, warm and colourful with plenty of heart, an entertaining movie if not a particularly great one. There's plenty of moustache twirling from John Lithgow as the villain of the peice and the special effects are mostly very well done with charmingly puppeteered reindeer that almost steal the show.
½ December 16, 2016
I can't really call this a great movie. I hesitate to even call it a good movie. But there's enough good stuff in it that I can give it a moderate recommendation. For the first half hour, I was really into it. I liked their take on Santa's origins, and I actually really liked how seriously they took it. They treat it like a serious mythology, and that's a pretty cool take. Once his origin is covered though, it gets a helluva lot sillier to an almost cartoonish level. Santa's old school methods are being challenged by an amoral toymaker obsessed with money and efficiency and a well-meaning but naïve elf who's helping him. A good idea I guess, and Santa talking about it has some nice moments, but despite a couple good laughs it feels like a step down from the stuff in the beginning. It basically feels like a totally different movie. Then there's the kids. I like the idea of these kids, but their actors are godawful and whoever wrote for them seemed to think all children talk like Bill and Ted. The first act of this movie is so good, and then it's just a lot of pretty good ideas executed in a sloppy manner, and some scenes showing off green screen effects that I'm sure they were proud of at the time but really haven't aged that well. There's enough in this movie I liked. I liked the mythology, I liked the set design of the North Pole, and I liked the guy playing Santa. I even liked some of the goofier moments with John Lithgow even if they contradicted the tone the film had earlier. I liked the movie enough that I can see myself coming back to it on future Christmases, and if you haven't seen it I do recommend checking it out if you're curious, but I just can't give this a positive rating. It's just not a very good movie. Still, it has some enjoyment in it, just be sure to moderate your expectations.
½ November 25, 2016
I know not the best it is over top cheesy etc. All those things you except in 1980's film. However is throughly enjoyable. You feel everything from sappiness when the elf leaves. Santa desperation at changing world . Mrs. Claus kind gentleness. Lithgow (it doesn't matter his character name he is always Lithgow to those around my age younger people may not get it) slimyness. It is much more heart warming and genuine then Tim Allen fair. I believed this Santa as Santa Claus I didn't get that from other later film nearing same name from previous mentioned star. I enjoy this film sappiness amd all and chances are most of you will to. oddly one of peoples biggest complaints is the super duper luper I can explain it makes more sense then you all seem to get he had to drive over in explosion so Santa own sleigh wouldn't be hit by explosion and be quick enough to catch Patch and Jo.
October 31, 2016
August 15, 2016
As an eight year old child, I recall this movie as a highlight to my Christmas holiday in 1985. Memorable to the point that I purchased it recently on iTunes for my 5 year old. He is in awe every time he watches it.
½ April 29, 2016
Super corny, but fairly cute kids movie about the birth of the Santa Claus legend as we know it.
January 2, 2016
Extremely boring and unimaginative.Lacks the Christmas magic.Totally and extremely forgettable.
December 24, 2015
"Now, all those within the sound of my voice, and all those on this Earth everywhere know that henceworth you will be called Santa Claus".

The story is about a peasant woodcutter becomes Santa Claus and later foils an evil toy manufacturer's scheme to take over Christmas.

Santa Claus: The Movie has it's flaws and dose have a lot of stupid moments, but I personally find this movie a guilty pleasure. It's got heart and the movie itself gets the feel of Christmas spot on.
December 20, 2015
One of those films that seems great when your a kid, turns to crap in your teens and twenties and gains a kind of kitsch value in your thirties, it's not really an actual honest to god good movie, in fact one of it's only real standout's is the slightly bewildered looking Dudley Moore, he gives his role as Patch the elf a warmth and charm that came naturally for the actor, sadly this was the movie that instantly kinda killed his Hollywood career after his breakout in "Arthur". But the real reason to watch this garish, none more 80's product placement fest is John Lithgow, hilariously owning his role as over the top, yuppie sleaze-bag BZ who is so greedy he corners the market on Christmas and even gives it a sequel in March ( We'll call it CHRISTMAS 2!) he's so much fun in the role that it leads you to briefly believe that theres a subversive edge under all the gag inducing holiday fakeness, there isnt. But this is nice and festive if you need to get in that cheery mood.
December 11, 2015
This was a film of my childhood - and just as I imagined Father Christmas - a great kids movie!