Santa Claus: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Santa Claus: The Movie Reviews

August 15, 2016
As an eight year old child, I recall this movie as a highlight to my Christmas holiday in 1985. Memorable to the point that I purchased it recently on iTunes for my 5 year old. He is in awe every time he watches it.
½ April 29, 2016
Super corny, but fairly cute kids movie about the birth of the Santa Claus legend as we know it.
January 2, 2016
Extremely boring and unimaginative.Lacks the Christmas magic.Totally and extremely forgettable.
December 24, 2015
"Now, all those within the sound of my voice, and all those on this Earth everywhere know that henceworth you will be called Santa Claus".

The story is about a peasant woodcutter becomes Santa Claus and later foils an evil toy manufacturer's scheme to take over Christmas.

Santa Claus: The Movie has it's flaws and dose have a lot of stupid moments, but I personally find this movie a guilty pleasure. It's got heart and the movie itself gets the feel of Christmas spot on.
December 20, 2015
One of those films that seems great when your a kid, turns to crap in your teens and twenties and gains a kind of kitsch value in your thirties, it's not really an actual honest to god good movie, in fact one of it's only real standout's is the slightly bewildered looking Dudley Moore, he gives his role as Patch the elf a warmth and charm that came naturally for the actor, sadly this was the movie that instantly kinda killed his Hollywood career after his breakout in "Arthur". But the real reason to watch this garish, none more 80's product placement fest is John Lithgow, hilariously owning his role as over the top, yuppie sleaze-bag BZ who is so greedy he corners the market on Christmas and even gives it a sequel in March ( We'll call it CHRISTMAS 2!) he's so much fun in the role that it leads you to briefly believe that theres a subversive edge under all the gag inducing holiday fakeness, there isnt. But this is nice and festive if you need to get in that cheery mood.
December 11, 2015
This was a film of my childhood - and just as I imagined Father Christmas - a great kids movie!
½ December 7, 2015
It's dated, corny and the effects don't hold up that well. but it has allot of heart, the acting is pretty decent, Lithgow is delightfully over the top and it does have a really nice christmas feel to it. it has it's flaws, but i personally think this movie is underrated. Give it a watch, you will find some joy in it.
November 24, 2015
A must watch for christmas pure classic
August 2, 2015
I am not the biggest fan of this film. To be honest I thought it was awful but I will give credit to the acting, I liked the acting, particularly Patch and the homeless Orphan. But overall it wasn't to my taste.
February 12, 2015
Amazing production design (for its time) fails to help what is an incredibly weak story.
½ February 7, 2015
jon lithglow with hair!!! where's Rudolph? aside from that a traditional & warming take on santa
December 30, 2014
I watched this every year as a child, and I still do each year now, that has to mean its very good
December 28, 2014
Even though the Super Dooper Looper was totally unnecessary and somehow John Lithgow's character is still alive (making sound in outer space), I do not care! This movie is Christmas fun and a childhood guilty pleasure.
December 25, 2014
My favorite Christmas film from childhood. Perhaps it doesn't hold up as well now, but it has the definitive Santa and Santa folklore. Dudley Moore is adorable, John Lithgow is deliciously bad. I agree the pacing isn't the greatest, and it feels a little disjointed. But although the pieces don't fit together perhaps as well as they should, and they should have cut the ridiculous "Super Duper Looper", there are some beautiful, funny and inventive parts to love every Christmas viewing.

"When you give extra kisses, you get bigger hugs."
December 24, 2014
Screw the Tomatometer! I love this movie! I loved it when I was kid and I'll continue to love it until I'm dead. Defiantly a great holiday classic!
December 24, 2014
Best film for Xmas Eve & always will be the definitive Santa Claus film. First film I ever saw in the cinema as a toddler too!
½ December 20, 2014
What a colossal mess this movie was! Despite having the movie be called Santa Claus, it really has very little to do with him at all. Certainly not one to put on the classic shelf, this is pure bargain bin.
½ December 19, 2014
As A Nave Child I Really Enjoyed This. As A Grown Adult I Now Cringe & Scorn My Misconception a of The Fraudulent Commercialism Of Christmas.
½ December 3, 2014
I expected so much more. I felt that the opening song and the exterior look of the North Pole were enchanting, but the rest of the movie was quite the opposite. Very dated and almost unwatchable. (First and only viewing - 11/29/2014)
½ August 31, 2014
Christmas movies have never really been my thing, but in my opinion, few of them are more notoriously bad than "Santa Claus: The Movie". The makers of the original "Superman" epic poured millions of dollars into this misguided, ill-concieved dud that is completely devoid of joy, magic or the Christmas spirit.

It's really two movies in one, with the first one dealing with the myth of jolly St. Nick and the second one a more modern take on the commercialization of the holiday. Neither are any good. The first half is dark and dreary, as Santa and his wife are apparently the spirit of a deceased couple who make gifts for the children in their village.

The second half has more in common with "Halloween 3" than the Grinch, as a scenery-chewing John Lithgow attempts to take over the world with an insidious new toy. That would hardly seem like the makings of a new holiday classic, and you'd be right. The entire film is drenched in unbearable schmaltz, trying to manipulate the audience into feeling the joy of Christmas, but none of it feels authentic. You'd get more honest emotion out of a Hallmark movie-of-the-week, and the special effects are just atrocious.

After you stop to consider that by some reports, the filmmakers spent $50 million on this, you have to wonder just where all of that money went. certainly they had to make a small fortune from Coke and McDonald's for the embarrassing product placement. Nobody involved in the production of this turkey apparently had any shame. "Santa Claus: The Movie" alternates between being depressingly dull and glaringly garish. It seems like the people behind it were more concerned with selling lunchboxes than celebrating the spirit of the season.