Saving Mr. Banks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saving Mr. Banks Reviews

½ January 18, 2017
With a pertinent theme, strong script, Saving Mr. Banks give to us a great story full of amazing performances by Emma Thompson and a lot of interesting information that will please all of the Mary Poppins's fans.
½ December 27, 2016
This is a wonderful story, its very charming and quite funny too. Some of it is a little silly but its a nice family story.
½ December 25, 2016
Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson prove to be wise lead choices, but the constant flashbacks take away from the Disney magic that it could have been. A very nice story, but too long to love it
December 25, 2016
Saving Mr Banks is a winner. A charming film without patronising schmaltz. Congrats to the writers in particular. (Two ladies!)
December 24, 2016
Very interesting story of whole Mary Poppins was brought to life from the pages of the book to the big screen and the struggle faced to meet the authors and Walt Disney's expectations.
Great cast, Emma Thompson is great as the lead, whilst Tom Hanks portrays Walt Disney very well
½ December 23, 2016
Emma Thompson is great in this film. Her turn as P. L. Travers cuts through the saccharine sweetness of it, like deftly added lemon juice. Without her, this would have been too cloying. With her, it's rather enjoyable. I have to say, though, that I doubt very much if casting her was a deliberate move in terms of toning down the sentimentality, I think it's truer to say that Disney were just lucky that Thompson turned out to be so good. Don't get me wrong, all the performances can be categorised under the 'very good' umbrella, but Emma Thompson saves this film from diabetes-inducing sweetness and, in some ways, is the Disney antidote.
½ December 14, 2016
Dramas are not my favorite genre in general. That being said, this film did not move me as much as some of the very best dramas I've ever seen have (i.e. Schindler's List, A Beautiful Mind, etc.). However, the way in which the film achieved dramatic tension, by exploring two parallel storylines -- one in the "present" and one discovering the author's past -- and then converging the two universes into one big dramatic bang at the end, was definitely interesting to watch, even if the point the film made wasn't particularly moving.
½ December 8, 2016
Saving Mr. Banks is a surprisingly mature and thoughtful film from Disney with smooth direction and a charming cast.
½ December 7, 2016
3.5/5 stars

An all around solid, good, sweet movie. Entertaining, educational story. The acting by both Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks was very good and you really believed their characters.

The story takes you on an interesting emotional journey as you come to understand the background of Mary Poppins.

I enjoyed the very end with the pictures of the real life people and the tape recording from the studio sessions.

Makes me want to go read or see Mary Poppins now.
½ November 25, 2016
Saving Mr. Banks is a poignant and beautifully scripted film that highlights an aspect of the Disney world that we rarely get to see in today's corporate bungling.
November 20, 2016
The right actors for this kind of movie ...great Hanks again , Great Thompson ( her caracter reminds me in the beginning of Mrs Bucket from Keeping up Appeariance ) Farrel also good !Funny Parts in it ...True Story .
Seen the Second time ...same review . SOMDVD
½ October 28, 2016
actori grozavi . am vazut prima jumatate de ora.
½ October 21, 2016
Anche se ho trovato la sceneggiatura un po' infantile e a tratti scontata, il film in generale riesce ad emozionare con facilitÓ, grazie a flashback che funzionano ed una trama lineare e coinvolgente. Il messaggio alla base del film Ŕ bellissimo, anche se lo avrei preferito pi¨ filtrato e meno esplicito: viene spiegato in molte occasioni durante il film, togliendo parte della spontaneitÓ al tutto.
½ October 20, 2016
As someone who's always loved the Mary Poppins film, I very much enjoyed this film to! It is a wonderfully done, well-acted, well-edited, & very well-told story! Thompson & Hanks both delivered beautiful performances! Anyone who watches this film should definitely watch Mary Poppins right after.
October 5, 2016
Emotional, complex, profoundly personal; Saving Mr. Banks is undeniably brilliant. For the many of the public who grew up with Disney's Mary Poppins, a deep connection to this story is formed from the first line through to its last. This atmosphere lends to an emotional roller-coaster decorated with deep and relatable messages, bound to leave you in tears and covered in goosebumps. Thompson and Hanks deliver stunning performances in their leads, a testimony to sensational script-writing and raw talent that only accentuates the story-line. Though, the messages may be of an adult nature at times, it is a must own, must love cinematic piece.
September 28, 2016
It's heart is in the right place, and there's tidbits here and there that amuse and enlighten, but something feels "off" about the whole affair.
September 23, 2016
Amazing story turned into an even more amazing movie! Cast was great, because I am a huge fan of Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson!
½ September 5, 2016
Actually pretty good, other than some generic scenes, also featuring another great Tom Hanks performance
½ August 28, 2016
long and somewhat better than bad
August 28, 2016
Emma Thompson is wonderful as Travers and the rest of the cast disappear into their characters as well. Wasn't at all familiar about this contentious back story to one of my favorite childhood movies and the story is fleshed out nicely. Beware, however, the denouement is total Disney and unfortunately not at all accurate regarding Travers. Still very enjoyable and such a pleasure to watch a movie that is all about story and character.