Saving Mr. Banks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saving Mr. Banks Reviews

½ May 27, 2017
affectionate reminiscence of the butting of heads between walt disney and p.l.travers when he was trying to buy the rights for mary poppins from her. without emma thompson in the lead role it would not have been worth seeing. unusually colin farrell didnt bother me by being present and the background story of p.l.traver's childhood kept me intrigued. tom hanks was adequate as the dynamic animator.
May 20, 2017
Loved this...so charming.
½ May 8, 2017
Unfortunately this movie is inflating Walter Disney's ego and bank account but the author of the Mary Poppins book has been portrayed inaccurately. She wrote in her will (real life) to not let Disney do any other sequels. He not only did this one but there is another one coming out in 2018 again against her wishes. Always liked Disney but you just need to dig a little to see all it not what it seems.
May 7, 2017
Such an excellent story. Fans of Mark Poppins should definitely watch. Fascinating to understand not just the history of the film but also the backdrop to the story itself. I found it very sad.
May 2, 2017
Though I haven't seen Mary Poppins (cannot get into musicals of any variety) and this does come across as Disney propaganda at times there is still plenty to like to make this drama worth a watch. With a brilliant and engrossing performance by Emma Thompson driving the film and being the primary reason to watch this period drama who manages to be charming, funny while being coarse and delivering some of the best put-downs from a script that is overall relatively routine. The rest of the cast is also good, I like the score, it looks great and it has an emotional final act that works without being overly exploitative.
April 25, 2017
Very moving story. Great film. I was moved.
April 24, 2017
Great Movie!, If you are a Walt Disney and Mary Poppins' fan, this movie is for you!
March 29, 2017
While romanticized in some respect (especially the ending), "Saving Mr. Banks" is an interesting story about complex people, their creations, and how their attachment to those creations can hinder and help their journey to make amends with their past.
½ March 18, 2017
Worth watching for Tom Hanks & Emma Thompson alone.
March 17, 2017
Outstanding! The complicated and yet hilarious creation of "Mary Poppins" film based on the books by P.L.Travers, portrayed by Emma Thompson, a stubborn woman who refuses to sell her rights to Walt Disney (Tom Hanks) because she hates musicals, animation and fantasy. Disney really had a hard time dealing with that terrible but imaginative lady! Wonderful performances!
March 14, 2017
Mrs. Thompson's job playing the old, nagging author of Mary Poppins was oscar-worthy....perhaps it was a little TOO good, as it turned me off from even remotely caring about the character...
March 12, 2017
With extreme devotion over it's subject and a great passion behind it's script, the story of how one of the most beloved movies of all time was made is a worthy one, specially thanks to the brilliant cast, not to mention Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson outstanding performances in the lead roles.
March 4, 2017
Me encanta. La historia de cómo se lleva o Mary Poppins a la pantalla grande y de la escritora del libro. Una amargada mujer muy difícil de complacer, que en realidad se parece demasiado a Mr. Banks.
March 3, 2017
"Saving Mr. Banks": How the classic "Mary Poppins" came to be

For twenty years, P.L. Travers denied Walt Disney the right to turn her famous "Mary Poppins" into a film, but when money became tight and no other options were viable, she relented, though not without severe conditions. There was to be no music, no make-believe words, no animation, not even the color red. Fifty years later, the movie "Saving Mr. Banks" shows us how this fantasy-filled classic came to be with music, the color red and made up words.

P.L. Traverse (Emma Thompson) is an uptight pessimist who refuses to relinquish full custody of the movie rights to Walt Disney (Tom Hanks). She arrives in California complaining that it smells of "chlorine and sweat," throws pears into the hotel pool and loses it when Disney insists Mr. Banks will have a mustache. But as the movie shifts back and forth between 1961 Los Angeles and 1906 Australia, we gain insight into the circumstances that created this harsh woman and why she is so protective of her beloved Mr. Banks.

Born under the name Helen Lyndon Goff, Travers was raised by a worn out mother (Ruth Wilson) and a father, Travers Goff (Colin Farrell), who suffered from chronic alcoholism. At the age of 5, her family relocated to a remote farmhouse in small town Allora after her father was demoted from bank manager to a bank clerk. Due to the lack of both social opportunities and financial resources, her father continually championed the use of imagination. In one scene we are shown young Helen and her father chasing her "foul Aunt Ellie" (a chicken) around the yard, and it is clear that Helen had an unbridled admiration for her father. Then in the heartbreaking scene of her father's death, filled with the color red and pears strewn across the floor, we understand why these objects are so enmeshed with her painful memories and why they provoke such strong emotions.

Throughout the movie we see Travers shoot down idea after idea that writer Don DaGradi (Bradley Whitford) and Sherman brothers Richard and Robert (Jason Schwartzman and B. J. Novak) present. "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" was preposterous and simply wouldn't do. Disney, desperate to soften the callused heart of the inflexible writer, visits her in England after she had changed her mind and returned home. He shares his own heart-wrenching stories with Travers about his hard and abusive father, and the film begins to change directions when we realize that both of these individuals were trying to shape Mr. Banks into their ideal father figures.

Viewers may disapprove of this "disneyfied" representation that is not 100% accurate because it is true that Walt Disney and the Disney Corporation are portrayed through rose-colored glasses and may be interpreted as self-promoting in the film. Though Travers was depicted as a changed woman by the end of the film, dancing and singing with the Sherman brothers and crying tears of delight at the end of the premier, she in fact was displeased with the film, especially the animation, and was crying tears of betrayal, not joy. But despite these undisclosed truths, the movie "Saving Mr. Banks" brings an understanding about the development of the characters in "Mary Poppins," insight into the lives of both P. L. Travers and Walt Disney, and provides an enthralling and emotional journey for the audience.
February 26, 2017
Great movie. Period.
February 23, 2017
Tom hanks is charming as usual and Emma Thompson gives a very accurate portrayal of the woman. Colin Farrell also did an impressive job for just being a flashback character. Overall a well made film with likable characters and an interesting story.
February 16, 2017
Penonton tidak hanya akan diajak untuk mengenang kembali masa 60-an, dengan tampilan pertama Disneyland, dan hal-hal yang berbau Disney. ... Sentuhan-sentuhan melodi "Chim-chim che-ree", "Let's Go Fly a Kite", hingga Supercalifragilistixexpealidocious" akan memberikan nuansa "reuni" buat Anda yang sudah menyaksikan versi film Mary Poppins.
½ February 11, 2017
Saving mr. banks is pretty good, 7/10
January 26, 2017
Although arguably a tearjerker, Saving Mr. Banks is witty, sweet and ultimately beautiful - highly elevated by Emma Thompson's outstanding performance as P.L. Travers.
January 25, 2017
Beautiful story excellently told. The performances from everyone were on point and left you wanting more of everyone's story. I had no interest in this film, hence why it's taken me so long to watch it, but I'm really glad I did.