Saving Mr. Banks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saving Mr. Banks Reviews

½ August 26, 2017
That atrocious film Mary Poppins should never have been made.
August 19, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Well Scott, it s time to review Saving Mr. Banks.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) BBC Films is really banking on this movie to succeed, Greg. Let s recap.

GREG: This is a story told as two timelines alternating back and forth. In the past we meet little Ginty Goff (Annie Rose Buckley) who is about 8 years old and lives in the backwater of Australia. Her dad is Travers Goff (Colin Farrell) and is a bank manager who has trouble keeping a job because of his drinking.

SCOTT: In the present, which is 1961, we meet Mrs. P. L. Travers (Emma Thompson), author of the famous Mary Poppins series of books. Mrs. Travers is in a spot of financial trouble, but she is being courted by none other than Walt Disney himself (Tom Hanks), who wants to buy the rights to make a Mary Poppins movie. Mrs. Travers, however, is very, very picky about how such a movie is to be made. Much of Saving Mr. Banks centers on the conflict between Mrs. Travers and the DIsney movie-making staff.

GREG: The movie alternates between the two time periods. We watch as Mr. Goff falls deeper and deeper into alcoholism while Ginty (the young P. L. Travers) tries to understand. Goff is a dreamer and treats his two daughters like princesses. Little Ginty adores her daddy and wants to be just like him, letting her imagination run wild and making up fantastic stories.

SCOTT: Greg, Saving Mr. Banks is a thoroughly enjoyable look at the backstory of one of the great musicals in film history. I must confess to being completely ignorant of P. L. Travers, her childhood, or her inner demons that gave rise to the amazing character of Mary Poppins. I was also totally unaware of her issues with Walt Disney and her resistance to his attempt to wrest the rights from Travers to create the classic Mary Poppins movie. So the telling of this backstory, in the form of Saving Mr. Banks, is all quite fascinating.

GREG: It also dealt honestly with the legendary Walt Disney. Banks showed Disney as a strong willed businessman. It showed how he could be manipulative and even showed him smoking. Considering that this was a Disney film, I was pleased with the candid look behind the scenes of the Walt Disney machine.

SCOTT: Me, too, Greg. Although Disney is portrayed as a less than perfect person, he is shown to be instrumental in assisting Mrs. Travers along her hero s journey. In fact, Walt Disney plays the role of Mrs. Travers mentor. One could say that Disney slowly becomes the amateur psychologist who helps Mrs. Travers unravel the emotional issues she faces while resisting so many of the Disney staff s suggestions for bringing the character of Mary Poppins to life. Just as Mr. Banks is the one who needs saving in the movie Mary Poppins, we learn that Mrs. Travers needs saving in this film. And speaking of the Disney staff, they are a terrific ensemble of talented actors who truly made me believe they were the creative inspiration behind the magic of Mary Poppins. Their persistence in the face of adversity was somewhat heroic itself. Paul Giamatti deserves kudos for the role he plays in quietly earning the respect and confidence of Mrs. Travers. The entire cast in Saving Mr. Banks deserves great credit here.

GREG: The final scene touched me deeply. Disney opens up to Travers and makes a final plea to gain the rights to the film. This scene reveals as much about Disney s past as it does Travers . Both Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson deliver wonderful performances. I was completely drawn in. I felt we were witness to a great hero s journey coming to fruition. Disney helps Travers transform. For a wonderful telling of a true tale of creation I give Saving Mr. Banks 4 out of 5 Reels. And for a great hero s journey for Mrs. Travers 4 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Hero:

SCOTT: Greg, it looks like December of 2013 is shaping up to be one of the greatest months in movie history. Saving Mr. Banks is a terrific film that is almost as entertaining to watch as Mary Poppins itself. Tom Hanks once again proves why he may be the greatest male actor of our age, and Emma Thompson as Mrs. Travers also turns in an Oscar-worthy performance. I thoroughly enjoyed this gem of a movie and am happy to also award it 4 Reels out of 5. The hero journey is very effective although sometimes it is uncomfortable to watch. Mrs. Travers is obviously a woman who is in pain and hiding a dark secret, but there is one pivotal moment in the movie when she becomes transformed -- it occurs when she hears the rehearsal for one particular song in the movie. This song triggers memories of her father as a good man, and more than coincidentally, it also marks the transformative saving of Mr. Banks in Mary Poppins. Like you, Greg, I also award Travers a very impressive 4 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:
July 29, 2017
Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks absolutely capture their characters in a way that is so much more visible than just on the surface. Pay attention to the subtle details in Mrs. Travis's mannerisms to fully understand how she is feeling in different scenes. The movie is almost as magical as Mary Poppins itself and will leave a tear in your eye at the end. I wholeheartedly recommend this move... after watching Mary Poppins first that is!
July 27, 2017
A brilliantly-paced melody with a delightful cast, characters and narrative.
July 26, 2017
Insightful look into the 1960's film industry with Emma Thompson playing the aloof P. L. Travers with distinction. Good support from Tom Hanks as Disney.
½ July 18, 2017
Horrible Movie i fell asleep
½ June 26, 2017
This is probably one of the greatest true stories depicted in a film ever. Very well-done.
June 18, 2017
This movie was so smart and delightful. Cried my eyes out,it has so beautiful moments... Beautiful !!! Highly recommended
½ June 9, 2017
It's an amazingly written film. Takes too long for the film to get my sympathy for the character, but i didn't mind bcs of their performance. Some parts feel incoherent, but was still a delight to watch this till the end.
June 4, 2017
Loved it!
She should have held out for the merchandising rights! ??
May 29, 2017
Poignant, well scripted. Wonderful subject matter.
½ May 27, 2017
affectionate reminiscence of the butting of heads between walt disney and p.l.travers when he was trying to buy the rights for mary poppins from her. without emma thompson in the lead role it would not have been worth seeing. unusually colin farrell didnt bother me by being present and the background story of p.l.traver's childhood kept me intrigued. tom hanks was adequate as the dynamic animator.
May 20, 2017
Loved this...so charming.
½ May 8, 2017
Unfortunately this movie is inflating Walter Disney's ego and bank account but the author of the Mary Poppins book has been portrayed inaccurately. She wrote in her will (real life) to not let Disney do any other sequels. He not only did this one but there is another one coming out in 2018 again against her wishes. Always liked Disney but you just need to dig a little to see all it not what it seems.
May 7, 2017
Such an excellent story. Fans of Mark Poppins should definitely watch. Fascinating to understand not just the history of the film but also the backdrop to the story itself. I found it very sad.
May 2, 2017
Though I haven't seen Mary Poppins (cannot get into musicals of any variety) and this does come across as Disney propaganda at times there is still plenty to like to make this drama worth a watch. With a brilliant and engrossing performance by Emma Thompson driving the film and being the primary reason to watch this period drama who manages to be charming, funny while being coarse and delivering some of the best put-downs from a script that is overall relatively routine. The rest of the cast is also good, I like the score, it looks great and it has an emotional final act that works without being overly exploitative.
April 25, 2017
Very moving story. Great film. I was moved.
April 24, 2017
Great Movie!, If you are a Walt Disney and Mary Poppins' fan, this movie is for you!
March 29, 2017
While romanticized in some respect (especially the ending), "Saving Mr. Banks" is an interesting story about complex people, their creations, and how their attachment to those creations can hinder and help their journey to make amends with their past.
½ March 18, 2017
Worth watching for Tom Hanks & Emma Thompson alone.