Saving Mr. Banks Reviews

• Jan 14, 2021

sweet movie with top notch professional casting. the flashbacks were exceptionally well done, and added to the story. easy to recommend.

• Dec 24, 2020

Very captivating and refreshing to watch with the story of Mary Poppins eventually turned into a film. What caught my attention was the story of the author and her reasoning in writing this story. The conveyance of message was clear, emotional, and memorable. I was impressed with Colin Farrell's character in the film, as it was full of surprises for me. Would recommend to watch if you like family related movies.

• Dec 11, 2020

This movie is my favorite of all time. Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks do an OUTSTANDING job investing in their characters. I thought this a great movie and that people who don't even like the 1964 Mary Poppins will find this movie enjoyable. Its "practically perfect in every way"

• Dec 10, 2020

This Disney drama was really good. Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson, Paul Giamatti, Colin Farrell, Ruth Wilson, Bradley Whitford, and the rest of the cast did a fantastic job in this movie. This true story about the making of the Disney classic movie Mary Poppins was dramatic, insightful, and interesting. It's tells the story about what was going on during production of the film and what it took to get it made. If you haven't seen this movie yet, check it out sometime. It's a must see for an entire family.

• Dec 08, 2020

The movie is great as a period biopic, but disgusting once the true history is known, showing that, since Walt Disney died, the company has become so in love with itself that no one and nothing else matters.

• Nov 24, 2020

Everyone seems to be coming to this movie knowing nothing but the old Disney film. I grew up with the Mary Poppins books, which are wonderful. The original Disney film is an abomination. Julie Andrews' treacly Mary Poppins has absolutely nothing to do with the central character of the books. The present movie was made by the Disney corporation to promote Disney. He used P. L. Travers terribly, and she completely prostituted herself by giving in to him--for money. This movie is a whitewash of that reality. Moreover, in exonerating Disney, they are further burying P. L. Travers and the real Mary Poppins.

• Nov 14, 2020

"Saving Mr Banks" is without any doubts the best Disney movie in the past decade. It is not a remake of some old animation, but rather an actual feel-good historic movie about Walt Disney and how he tried to deal with creating "Mary Poppins". The characters, in my opinion, are amazing. Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks work out perfectly as a duo, as there are a lot of scenes in the film, in which their characters are just speaking and it doesn't get boring. The movie is beautifully shot, especially flashbacks, as they transfer the feeling of an era to the viewer. Some of the things I didn't like mostly depend on historical accuracy of the film. I do not get how not many people know that Walt Disney didn't hold his two fingers in the air just because he had nothing better to do, but rather he was a very hard smoker. There are still a lot of pictures with him smoking, although in many of them cigarettes were cut out, which is where the myth comes from. Knowing that myth, it was really hard to watch the movie at some times. Although, besides that, nearly everything else in this movie is perfect and I wish that Disney made more movies like this one, except for gaining money from previously known animations or film. A strong 8/10, would recommend watching if you want a feel-good historical film.

• Nov 13, 2020

Utterly brilliant! I haven't watched 'Mary Poppins' itself in many, many years but still have memories of it as a kid. That meant I had the desired knowledge of the key parts about that film, which I'd say is probably wise to watch before this - though not a requirement, at least in my opinion. Ironically, Travers' complaints about the animation segments to the 1964 film are justified on my end - I've been on a Disney marathon since May, but to "shorten" the watch load I decided to only watch the studio's productions that are straight up animation or straight up live-action, so MP missed the cut given it's a combo. If she had her way, I'd have watched it again relatively recently. Damn you, Mr. Disney! Anyway, 'Saving Mr. Banks' is an outstanding film! One that's filled with so much heart and some rich storytelling - loved the back and forth between Travers' early and later years. They entwin the two films together very well, while the Disney stuff - while in your face - adds humour as well as meaning. Then you have Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks. Two actors I adore already. Hanks plays Walt Disney very good, he's top notch in this. However, it is Thompson that steals the show. She's superb as Travers, who isn't the most likeable character but Thompson ensures you stay invested in her. She's great in 'Treasure Planet' and 'Nanny McPhee', but this is the best I've seen from her so far. Elsewhere, shoutouts to Colin Farrell, Ruth Wilson and Paul Giamatti for what they bring - especially Farrell. Jason Schwartzman and B. J. Novak are good as the Sherman Brothers, also. A charming and very nicely made film. Can't recommend it more.

• Aug 10, 2020

I don't even LIKE Mary Poppins! 9/10

I don't even LIKE Mary Poppins! 9/10

• Aug 09, 2020

I thought this was a wonderful film, and sets your view of the classic movie in a whole new light.