Saving Mr. Banks Reviews

• 11h ago

It was fine but I found the main character pretty annoying. I know that is kind of her thing but I still wish she was a little more likable

• 2d ago

Jesus what a difficult bitter prude woman. I loved how the whole movie progresses going back and forth from Pamela Travers' childhood to her writing the script for Mary Poppins. It's interesting seeing how closely related Mary Poppins and her childhood life are. This seems to be the reason why she's so anal about everything that's being put in the movie - the whole thing is very personal and close to her. It's real lovely to see how Travers' dad was the one who filled her up with imagination and creativity. I don't care what people say about Colin Ferrell, he's a great actor. The movie beautifully unravels how the story of Mary Poppins ties into Travers' real life. You begin to see why Pamela is the way she is and who Mr. Banks really is. I love how they added an actual tape recording of one of the sessions with Pamela and the team. This was a truly wonderful movie filled with charm, sentiment and interesting story telling.

• Jan 13, 2020

This movie is very well written in the sence of a realism in life while being the back story Mary Poppins the Disney movie.

• Jan 03, 2020

Disney owns everything now, so it makes logical sense that its various divisions will cross-pollinate. Movies connect to merchandise, which connect to theme parks, etc. The inward turning even applies when just looking at films, as this movie is about the making of a previous movie. Vertical integration! Synergy! Jack Donaghy would be so proud. </random 30 Rock references> Saving Mr. Banks chronicles author P. L. Travers as she concludes her 20-year battle with Walt Disney to sell the film rights to her popular children's book Mary Poppins. We see her work with the production team, shooting down idea after idea, and clashing with Disney himself at nearly every turn. This is intercut with scenes from her own childhood, showing how her family situation growing up influenced the themes and story of Poppins in the first place. Most moments are played for laughs, including the character of Travers herself. She follows the classic ‘British schoolteacher' archetype very closely for at least the first half of the movie. Disney, meanwhile is portrayed as an affable businessman who acts as a friend and mentor to all his employees. While neither of these characterizations is purely fictional, it does soften Disney's edges a lot more than Travers'. It's not a spoiler to tell you that the film ends up getting made. It's a classic Julie Andrews movie, and still holds up to this day. This film, on the other hand, is a look into the world of film production, and the choices that must be made when adapting media (albeit viewed through rose-coloured glasses). A final note: I was influenced to watch this movie after viewing Lindsay Ellis' YouTube video entitled: "The Revisionist World of Disney: Mary Poppins, Walt Disney and Saving Mr. Banks" which you should also check out. It is 25 minutes long, but is very well-edited and informative.

• Jan 02, 2020

Excellent film making on every level. Thompson and Hanks showing us exactly why they are treasures.

• Dec 31, 2019

A very well-acted and heartfelt movie.

A very well-acted and heartfelt movie.

• Dec 29, 2019

The movie plays tremendously well with the audience's emotions and is absolutely able to affect

• Dec 20, 2019

Disappointing. From the previews it looked like it was gonna be a making f type of movie, but every time they flashbacked on Travers childhood it really ripped me away from the Disney magic.

• Nov 15, 2019

How would you know the creator of the positive can-do Mary Poppins, P.L. Travers, was rigid and tormented by her past? If you don't cry watching Emma Thompson portray her at the premier of Mary Poppins, you might really need to go fly a kite.

• Nov 13, 2019

Stunning. The emotion, the story, the acting. It's practically perfect in every way.