Say Anything... - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Say Anything... Reviews

½ June 11, 2017
6/11/2017 (2): A decent movie, but not extraordinary by any means. There is only one memorable scene in the movie.
June 8, 2017
Directorial debut for Crowe, it has a bit of a John Hughes feel to it. Kids today may not be able to relate to calling a girl on the phone for a date. A bit more depth than your average teen drama with Skye's father's professional issues.
½ June 8, 2017
One of my favorite romantic comedies of all time. John Cusack turns in a timeless performance as Lloyd Dobler as Cameron Crowe captures teen romance/drama like no one else. "I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen."
May 24, 2017
a good old movie, not as cheesy as you might expect. light, yet moves. still with a smile on my face. recommended.
½ May 8, 2017
Cameron Crowe's directorial debut is both sweet and funny, ranking amongst one of the most influential teen movies of all times.
½ April 23, 2017
An OK rom-com - I can see how it could've been liked in 1989, but now it just seems a little too uneventful and cliched. Lloyd (Cusack, so young!) pines for Diane (Skye) - but there's not much chemistry there, and no real backstory for either, other than he doesn't know what he wants to do & she's really smart and has received a fellowship. No real funny moments and an unnecessary subplot with her Dad/the IRS, but it is nice to see the good-guy, not drinking at the party and being a gentleman. Very obvious ending. Not bad, but not groundbreaking either.
April 6, 2017
Cameron Crowe manages to out do John Hughes in John Hughes own style.
½ March 4, 2017
One of John Cusack's best films, along with Grosse Pointe Blank
January 27, 2017
All my instincts, They return!! The grand facade so soon will burn!!
December 28, 2016
Perhaps for once, the protagonists in a teenage date movie are smart responsible young adults, Cameron Crowe's oddly-titled directorial debut was a breath of fresh air but it since has become outmoded and dull.
½ December 21, 2016
It's not Cameron Crowe's best work but it is endearing and sweet enough to enjoy the movie.
½ November 18, 2016
Say Anything: After years of silly 80s teen romantic comedies, this one knocked it out of the park, and not just because of that iconic scene showing John Cusack holding a boom box blaring Phil Collins outside his would-be girlfriend's bedroom. Cameron Crowe's story, about a teen bookworm/valedictorian obsessed with creating a perfectly planned future, while being pursued by the likable but directionless recent high school graduate played by Cusack, is smartly-written and has a maturity lacking in other films of the genre. A
October 31, 2016
My favorite "romcom." Pretty much all of the romcoms I enjoy star John Cusack. Does he pick good romcoms, or does his presence make the movie good... A little of each, perhaps?
October 25, 2016
The movie Say Anything is starring John Cusack, Ione Skye, and John Mahoney. The main character, Diane Court, is a pretty and popular valedictorian at her high school who has been offered a fellowship to study abroad in England. Lloyd Dobler is an underachiever and a boxer. The two meet at their high school graduation, where Lloyd professes his liking for Diane, but he soon figures out that she is way out of his league. Lloyd will not give up though, and it convinced that he will be with Diane as much as he can before she leaves for college.

One strength of this movie is it's soundtrack. The classic boombox scene would not have been as memorable as it was without the Peter Gabriel song, "In Your Eyes". A few others are the attractive and stylish actors, the 80s fashion, and the cliche and cute moments shared between the two characters. Also, you can't get a better coming-of-age movie than this. It is very realistic and true-to-life, as well as highlighting the funny moments.

While it is my favorite movie, one weakness is that I cannot recommend it to younger viewers. It is not very suitable for children because it includes sex, underage drinking, and explicit language. So parents, be sure to watch this when the kids aren't at home.

I give this movie 5 out of 5 stars, so if you are looking to watch a realistic teen romance movie, Say Anything is the one to see!
October 20, 2016
A smart and oddball romantic comedy, this product of the 80s still fits in today.
½ August 11, 2016
Not quite the classic it's touted to be, nor 98% fresh - and Crowe's certainly not in the league with the great John Hughes, too soon gone, and Amy Heckerling for teen rites-of-passage movies. It does have some quotable lines though!
August 4, 2016
April 21st 2010
August 3rd 2016
½ August 4, 2016
Words cannot express how much I simply adore this movie. It's definitive of an era that brought about such changes in music and style, this movie is a gem. I will forever love Lloyd holding up the boombox for Diane, it melts my heart every time! He truly loves her and although they are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum, he will stop at NOTHING to prove himself. One of the best rom-dramedies ever!
August 4, 2016
Words cannot express how much I simply adore this movie. It's definitive of an era that brought about such changes in music and style, this movie is a gem. I will forever love Lloyd holding up the boombox for Diane, it melts my heart every time! One of the best rom-dramedies ever!
July 30, 2016
I feel like the only way you would ever like this movie is if you watched it when it came out, and had watched no movies previously to understand that this is a terrible movie. Incredibly cringey when Diane relayed to her father that she slept with Lloyd (despite him telling her he didn't want to know) - and then dreamily adding that "it would be like it didn't happen if I didn't tell you." Enough said. Worst movie ever.