Say Anything... - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Say Anything... Reviews

October 20, 2016
A smart and oddball romantic comedy, this product of the 80s still fits in today.
½ August 11, 2016
Not quite the classic it's touted to be, nor 98% fresh - and Crowe's certainly not in the league with the great John Hughes, too soon gone, and Amy Heckerling for teen rites-of-passage movies. It does have some quotable lines though!
August 4, 2016
April 21st 2010
August 3rd 2016
½ August 4, 2016
Words cannot express how much I simply adore this movie. It's definitive of an era that brought about such changes in music and style, this movie is a gem. I will forever love Lloyd holding up the boombox for Diane, it melts my heart every time! He truly loves her and although they are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum, he will stop at NOTHING to prove himself. One of the best rom-dramedies ever!
August 4, 2016
Words cannot express how much I simply adore this movie. It's definitive of an era that brought about such changes in music and style, this movie is a gem. I will forever love Lloyd holding up the boombox for Diane, it melts my heart every time! One of the best rom-dramedies ever!
July 30, 2016
I feel like the only way you would ever like this movie is if you watched it when it came out, and had watched no movies previously to understand that this is a terrible movie. Incredibly cringey when Diane relayed to her father that she slept with Lloyd (despite him telling her he didn't want to know) - and then dreamily adding that "it would be like it didn't happen if I didn't tell you." Enough said. Worst movie ever.
July 4, 2016
It never gets stale, even though it's 27 YEARS OLD! I love John Cusack as much now as I did when I was 14...
April 21, 2016
The greatest thing about Cameron Crowe's Say Anything is the way it tells a story without devolving into tropes of the teen dramedy subgenre. Here is a film that never needs characters to develop in unrealistic ways to progress the plot: Crowe completely understands that it's an unnecessary way of storytelling. Instead, these characters interact and grow in a completely normal way, and it's really refreshing. John Cusack's Lloyd Dobler and Ione Skye's Diane Court are essentially polar opposites at the beginning of the film, but their relationship blossoms in a way that is adorable without being sickeningly so. Lloyd is a bit of an underachiever, but one with a good heart, and Diane is the valedictorian who learns to take things at a new pace, and the relationship just works. It helps that Cusack and Skye have strong chemistry, and really work well together onscreen. Crowe essentially followed the footsteps of John Hughes with Say Anything, and created a solid movie in the process.
March 6, 2016
One of the few 80s classics i've never seen (never fully, only parts). I'll get to it one day.
½ February 19, 2016
My favorite romantic comedy. I usually don't go for this genre of movie, but it's still really good, and who could forget the John Cusack scen of him holding up the stereo?
February 10, 2016
A great coming of age film with a beautiful 80s soundtrack. Plus Boomboxes!!!!!
February 7, 2016
One of the all-time great romantic comedies. John Cusack's star-making performance holds up over 25 years later. The film rightfully established Cameron Crowe as one of the great writer-directors of his generation.
January 28, 2016
This was a pivotal film for me when I was just starting to look for 'myself' in pop culture, and I was blown away by the idea that the underdog could have a shot at the popular girl. Great coming of age drama and loaded with quotable lines.

December 23, 2015
Pretty solid. This is one of those classic 80s films with very likable characters. It's enjoyable and funny, and the acting and writing are both great. Worth seeing!
½ December 23, 2015
Cameron Crowe's directorial debut Say Anything is a beautiful, intelligent and subversive coming of age story, and is one of the definitive films of the 1980s.
The movie centres on the 'mismatch' relationship between John Cusack's Lloyd Dobler, the original 'likeable, underachieving everyman', and Ione Skye's Diane Court, the beautiful, popular Valedictorian. While I feel the transition from strangers to relationship happens unrealistically fast, the central romance of Diane and Lloyd is really convincing and engaging. Both actors do a great job of conveying the subtle details and little intricacies of a relationship - the seemingly insignificant moments that ultimately give the film weight and a powerful human believability.
The fact that this movie came out in the 80s is crazy to me - it seems like such a postmodern, self aware rom com. This is perhaps why it has this striking quality that makes it a classic; it's so intelligent for its time, yet it's still embedded within such a rich, timeless 1980s aesthetic.
The story also takes some turns, and the plot ends up having more edge than it appears at first. Lloyds character is expertly written and executed, and he embodies such a profound late 20th century mentality/identity crisis for young people not knowing where they want to go in the world, and it always feels natural because of John Cusack's amazing performance. Lloyd also gives us one of the biggest movie moments of all time with Peter Gabriel and a boom box, and an iconic moment is always a testament to a film's impact.
In a time of countless carbon copies of The Breakfast Club, Say Anything was a funny, heartwarming, but offbeat and subversive romantic comedy with uncommon heart, intelligence and insight. It's meditations on love and teenage romance, and it's commentary on societal pressure upon young people were really ahead of its time, and it remains a great showcase for both John Cusack and Cameron Crowe, and a gem of Gen X filmmaking.
½ December 22, 2015
Lloyd Dobbler? Lloyd Dobbler!
½ December 22, 2015
"Nobody thinks we will work, do they?"
"You just described every success story I know."
And bam! I felt like a total girl :)
½ November 29, 2015
"Say Anything" is one of Cameron Crowe's first big successes, and still one of his best films. It's not just one of the best teen movies, but one of the better films of the 80's
½ November 15, 2015
A strong and insightful teen romance.
½ October 17, 2015
Quite nice..a tale of two teens in Seattle, by Cameron Crowe. Prefer this to High Fidelity or Crowe's 'Singles'. But a bit hard to wrap my mind around the fact that John Cusack was supposed to be a 19 year old, hehe. A simple and flowing movie that presented its emotional scenes with care and delicateness, and doesn't over-intellectualize :)