The Secret of NIMH - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret of NIMH Reviews

½ October 13, 2016
Still love this movie! A bit short, and could have used a bit more exposition...but it is still a classic that I enjoy. Dom DeLuise still makes me laugh as Jeremy the crow. Jerry Goldsmith's music is just as good today as it was then. If you haven't shown your kids this oldie...perhaps you should consider it. Would like to see this with a live-action style cgi remake.
½ August 16, 2016
Don Bluth's best film! Before the little mermaid, this was the film which defined the 1980's!
August 1, 2016
Breathtaking. The animation is fluid and stunning, the characters are memorable and charming. There is real emotion here and the story is well-paced. You really feel for Mrs. Brisby and want to see her succeed in saving her children. The acting is also amazing. Definitely Don Bluth's best movie.
July 23, 2016
If you exclude the great anime films of the 1980s and the 1989 animated film that would start the Disney Renaissance "The Little Mermaid", The Secret of NIMH is easily the best, most beautifully animated film from the 1980s.
July 6, 2016
Don Bluth's masterpiece hits the arrow home when you're older and realize no one's there to help you but your self.
June 6, 2016
The Secret of NIMH has its problems including the troubling lack of emotion in it and too many characters with most of them being not that memorable, but the story is so fantastic and intriguing, the score is superb, the approach is refreshingly darker and more mature, there are some truly powerful and atmospheric sequences here and the animation is exceptional and one of the best of the time. It isn't great, but it is certainly a very good, very authentic animated film.
½ June 4, 2016
I did not expect to genuinely love this movie. Probably a little too scary for children though.
May 24, 2016
This is not only one of the most underrated films of all time, but this is one the best movies I've ever seen. This movie has everything that makes an animated film great. The writing is fantastic with an engaging story that looks very deeply into science vs. nature. The animation is phenomenal with some truly beautiful moments. The characters are all memorable and lovable and you can easily relate to them. If you're a film fan, if you're an animation fan, if you're not a moviegoer, please, I beg you, go see this film. It's amazing, it's beautiful, it's an animated masterpiece.
½ April 29, 2016
The 80s were a weird time for children's animation. Disney had pretty much fallen apart by the time the 80s rolled around and their animated efforts were pretty bad at the time. A lot of talented people either left or were fired by Disney, and one of the people that left was Don Bluth. Bluth felt that Disney was being run poorly, and left with some other Disney animators to form his own company...and their first feature film was "The Secret of NIMH" which is pretty solid and dark children's fantasy film about a widow mouse who turns to super intelligent rats to help save her home and her sick child. It is darker, but that doesn't mean that kids can't enjoy it. My daughter got scared once, but she seemed to enjoy it overall. Most importantly, this is some quality animation telling a story with heart, something much of Disney in the 80s was lacking.
½ April 20, 2016
I think that this isn't so bad but really isn't special either. Ok for kids, if a little dark and gloomy for a cartoon.
April 17, 2016
My favorite animated movie, or one of my top five favorites! The poster for this is very misleading, and seeing it as an adult, it's hard to believe how dark and mature it all is. I'd recommend giving this a watch.
April 14, 2016
The Secret of NiMH has great atmosphere, incredible characters and excellent, beautiful artwork. When legendary animator Don Bluth makes a good movie, he makes a classic, and this is by far one of his best.
February 12, 2016
Tan tradicional y clásica como podría serlo cualquiera de las obras maestras de Disney. Don Bluth hizo de esta película una mezcla ideal de tradicionalismo + su toque propio, con un sabor bastante místico y mucho más atrevida y apasionada a lo que las personas estaban acostumbradas a ver. Sencillamente maravillosa. Five stars!!!
½ January 29, 2016
Murder, attempted murder, sorcery, genetic engineering, peril, creepy visuals; hardly a young children's movie. But for the somewhat older, it is a great, well-told tale that is dark, interesting, even a bit thrilling. Plenty of interesting themes.
½ January 23, 2016
Srsly undermined by a bunch of throwaway kid's fantasy tropes (magic stone, wizened wise elders) and a throwaway villain, but has a p good script and great environment art and a good share of intensity
January 1, 2016
I am absolutely envious who ever saw this movie as a kid this movie is brilliant like I said in my Kiki's Delivery Service Review it is a masterpiece that takes an audience very seriously although one is a coming of age story and this one is a survival story they're just both amazing stories with great characters
December 29, 2015
With one of the best main characters in a animated movie, The Secret of NIMH was a classic movies that shows what makes animation great, and a great way for Don Bluth to start his independent career.
November 30, 2015
Ok, where do I begin with this movie?!?!? It is flat out amazing!!! The story, based on the popular book Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, gets a complete 1 UP in this heart-warming tale of the struggle between nature, science, and the unknown. The characters are fleshed out, very interesting, and sometimes quite funny. The music, composed by legend Jerry Goldsmith, helps create a world that we know and enjoy while making it interesting with the occasional dark curveball. Last but God-Help-Me not least, the animation is PHENOMENAL!! This is hands down Don Bluth's best animation, beating out other classics of his like "An American Tail" or "Anastasia"! I only have one complaint with the movie, that being I personally feel the villain didn't get enough screen time and wasn't as developed as I would've liked him to be, but that's a nitpick!
The Secret of NIMH is charming, dark, and wildly entertaining!
It's not often that an animated movie is able to take its audience so seriously (whether child or adult), but this is clearly a huge exception!
I beg you all to check this movie out on Netflix if you want to watch a great animated movie!!
October 20, 2015
Easily Don Bluth's best feature film. It has plenty of atmosphere helped by Jerry Goldsmith's evocative score, the characters are engaging and it doesn't talk down to its audience.
September 28, 2015
One of the must influential animated movies there is. with its story telling that has enough laughs for the family and enough though for movie goers, the secret of nimh is perfect for everyone