The Secret of NIMH - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret of NIMH Reviews

May 23, 2018
I'm open for movies kids and children could like, and this looked like just what I'd want to see. Within the few minutes, I was surprised to see an archetype not common in animated films. By the end, the film delivered intelligent, mature subjects a younger me would've loved and want to see if other films were like this.
May 19, 2018
I love this film so much. It looks beautiful, the story is very good, and the characters are very good.
May 11, 2018
The Secret of NIMH is a beautifully animated movie that focuses on the topic of science vs. nature in a manner that's not entirely straightforward but simple enough for younger audiences to understand. The voice acting is really good, the film never says "tone it down! Think of the children" and it all leads to a movie that's open to different interpretations. Wonder what the rest of Don Bluth's movies are gonna be like?
michael e.
½ March 29, 2018
though many consider this Don Bluths best film, I still don't think he is the best animation director. The animation is okay, but its not that impressive, not as much "Anastasia." The acting is okay but not fantastic, but the music is very good, and some of it is very good when it comes to its drama, but it doesn't leave you completely satisfied like some other serious animated films do like "Persepolis" but overall it is a decent film, but its not the best film or the best animated film I've seen.
February 24, 2018
The film adaptation of Robert O'Brien's popular children's book "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH" is an incredibly dark and depressing movie. I never had any interest in seeing this movie for some reason or another. when I finally got around to seeing it more than thirty-five years after its original theatrical release, I found out my lack of interest was perfectly justified. To be fair, I will admit there are some positive things to say about this movie. The story of why the rats hold Mrs. Brisby's husband in such a high regard is well done (The character's name was changed to Brisby for the movie in order to avoid copyright issues with Frisbee."). What is just as well done is the story of how the rats came to be who they are. I also liked what NIMH turns out to be. However there just too many problems for me to recommend this movie. The late Dom DeLuise is wasted as a comic relief character: a bumbling crow named Jeremy who stops being clumsy when the plot needs him to save Mrs. Brisby from certain death. Many of the other characters are extremely dislikeable. I know there is at least one character who we are supposed to hate. However even the good guys are annoying and nasty. In the end "The Secret of NIMH" is not worth your time. This "Secret" should never have been revealed.
October 27, 2017
i think the secret of nihm is a amazing movie but its not a kids movie because its very creepy and dark theres a creepy owl is seen squashing and killing a spider theres a scene were a tractor almost runs over and kills the main character a mouse gets poked with a syringe some mice get blown through a air duct and die a rat gets stabbed in the back with a knife and dies mrs brisby gets cut and a small puddle of blood is seen
and mrs brisbys kids almost drown in a giant mud puddle
October 15, 2017
I haven't watched this movie since I was a little kid even though it left a big impact on me then. I've recently watched it again as an adult and it's honestly even better than I remember! Don Bluth's animation is absolutely gorgeous and I feel like if you were to take any still shot of this movie and make it a museum exhibit, it would be a work of art. There's a great sense of detail in the backgrounds and just the colorful expressions of the characters alone are worth the price of admission. The story is simple enough for kids to follow, yet layered with complex, dark themes and elements that will draw adults toward it and possibly appreciate it even more as a film. Jerry Goldsmith's score is wonderful and reminds me a lot of Igor Stravinsky in parts, and perhaps a little of John Williams as well. The voice acting from the whole cast is phenomenal with Derek Jacobi (I, Claudius) in particular seamlessly switching into a pitch-perfect role of the mystical Nicodemus. I believe this movie is a masterpiece and should be watched by families everywhere if they can handle a little violent imagery here and there.
½ October 4, 2017
Great animated movie.
August 8, 2017
This is definitely one of the greatest animated films of all time and should've gotten more credit at the box office if it hadn't been for E.T.,
it's both dark, thrilling, and emotional for everyone to enjoy... at least the kids should watch it with their parents or guardian.
½ July 18, 2017
Former Disney animator Don Bluth took a group of 8 disgruntled animators and started Don Bluth Studios. It hasn't become Disney's rival but during the 80s and early 90s, DBS was putting out quite arguably, better animated films during that period. This adaptation of Mrs. Bigsby and The Rats of Nimh is easily one of the greatest animated films of all time. Beautifully animated and wonderfully voice acted, SOTN is classic cinema at its best.
½ May 30, 2017
The film was visually nostalgic and easy on the eyes, but most of the magical elements of the film came off as cheesy instead of interesting because it is never explained. Most of the characters are fantastic with a few exceptions, less a children's classic and more a movie night for a party.
May 6, 2017
In my personal opinion this is how mice would evolve.
April 22, 2017
Such a great classic cartoon. It's dark, mature and has some great designs and animation along with an interesting, refreshing story.
April 17, 2017
Strong character development, set in a beautifully crafted drawn world.
April 15, 2017
My score: 8/10. While i thought it had its boring moments, it did make up for a clever & dark story, great hand drawn animation, and likeable characters.
½ March 2, 2017
3.5/5 Stars. Decent kids movie. Mice have to save their home from the farmer's tractor by getting help from super-intelligent rats. The songs weren't awful like American Tail's, and the animation was pretty solid. There was actual blood and violent wounding/killing shown, which you would never see in a Disney film. The gem necklace is a cheap gimmick, but that's never a surprise with these films. The biggest problem was that the rats are super-intelligent, but somehow virtually every other creature is as well (Brisby can understand English even), completely negating whatever superpowers the rats supposedly have aside from knowing how to work a pulley system.

Overall, worth a watch since it was Bluth's first film post-Disney. You can see elements of Friar Tuck in Mr. Ages' face and some classic Disney facial contortions on behalf of the villain Jenner. No doubt a great film if you're an aspiring animator.
February 10, 2017
This movie should be called The Secret of Niche. Like how I explained in my recent Army of Darkness review, you need to be a part of a certain group in order to love this movie. Sadly, I don't think I am in this group that loves The Secret of NIMH. Even more sadly, I thought I would be. I like fantasy type films, especially if they are animated. However, this film just did not have the right hook to grab me and really pull me in. I can, however, appreciate the elements of the film that were done well. The animation, for the time, is very good. The musical score by Jerry Goldsmith is great and the overall idea of the story is pretty interesting. Just don't ask me to explain it. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I had a hard time following a film about a mouse trying to save her son by journeying into a rose bush on a farm which is actually a secret society of intelligent rats who... wait... what? why does she need to do that again? Did I miss something? And who are these new people who are apparently villains now? I was lost during a kids animation film. I would probably have been able to follow along more if I really cared about the characters. To me, this film was just okay. However, if you love adventure and you were born in the year 2010 and onward, if you have your mom's password to her Netflix, this could be a good choice for you. Or if you love all things 80's fantasy animation. If you are in that group, check it out.
February 2, 2017
It's easy to scoff at Don Bluth as a Walt Disney wannabe, but if he ever made anything capable of rivaling the House of Mouse, it was "The Secret of NIMH."
January 8, 2017
Love this movie so much, it's a masterpiece and one of my childhood favorites. I find the story to be undoubtedly fantastic, the animation is awesome, and most of the characters are incredibly well-written, especially Mrs. Brisby, who is truly one of the greatest heroines in both movies and cartoons. Not only is this Don Bluth's best, but it's also one of my favorite animated films.
½ November 19, 2016
The Secret of NIMH (1982) Is a lovely but also dark animated movie by legendary Don Bluth. Well lets face it most of his animated films have dark elements that are legitimately creepy. The story is mostly simple but along the way there are some complex elements that are very interesting and leave me thinking on what could possibly happen next. The animation is both beautiful and horrifying at the same time. There are some animated sequences that rubbed my head the wrong way including one that reveals what NIMH actually is. I was surprised to find out that this movie establishes Wizarding magic and how the rats know how to control it. It gave the movie a very different outlook and thanks to it's great execution it increases the movies enjoyability. The characters are very well meaning and their goals are very straightforward Mrs. Brisby's only goal is find a way to cure his son Timmy before the farmer's tractor comes and runs over the entire field wiping out all rodent life. I find it amazing to see the amazing lengths she'll go to set things right for herself and her family she might not like what she does but it's her courage that keeps her going and I love that. The rest of the characters are just there to serve the movie but they don't distract from what's important and they have really good personalities. I will admit that the audio on the music and voice acting does feel weird but that's because it was made in the early 80's and they probably didn't have the proper technology for that. I'm not giving a complaint it's just me nitpicking cause they still made all the music and voices come to life. This movie is bound to make you feel horrified but also amazed at the same time. If you're new to Don Bluth movies and you want to get to know them then this is an excellent place to start. (A)