The Secret of NIMH - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret of NIMH Reviews

January 8, 2017
Love this movie so much, it's a masterpiece and one of my childhood favorites. I find the story to be undoubtedly fantastic, the animation is awesome, and most of the characters are incredibly well-written, especially Mrs. Brisby, who is truly one of the greatest heroines in both movies and cartoons. Not only is this Don Bluth's best, but it's also one of my favorite animated films.
½ November 19, 2016
The Secret of NIMH (1982) Is a lovely but also dark animated movie by legendary Don Bluth. Well lets face it most of his animated films have dark elements that are legitimately creepy. The story is mostly simple but along the way there are some complex elements that are very interesting and leave me thinking on what could possibly happen next. The animation is both beautiful and horrifying at the same time. There are some animated sequences that rubbed my head the wrong way including one that reveals what NIMH actually is. I was surprised to find out that this movie establishes Wizarding magic and how the rats know how to control it. It gave the movie a very different outlook and thanks to it's great execution it increases the movies enjoyability. The characters are very well meaning and their goals are very straightforward Mrs. Brisby's only goal is find a way to cure his son Timmy before the farmer's tractor comes and runs over the entire field wiping out all rodent life. I find it amazing to see the amazing lengths she'll go to set things right for herself and her family she might not like what she does but it's her courage that keeps her going and I love that. The rest of the characters are just there to serve the movie but they don't distract from what's important and they have really good personalities. I will admit that the audio on the music and voice acting does feel weird but that's because it was made in the early 80's and they probably didn't have the proper technology for that. I'm not giving a complaint it's just me nitpicking cause they still made all the music and voices come to life. This movie is bound to make you feel horrified but also amazed at the same time. If you're new to Don Bluth movies and you want to get to know them then this is an excellent place to start. (A)
November 8, 2016
The Secret of NIMH is a beautifully animated and emotionally powerful classic that deftly balances cuteness and subtlety.
½ October 13, 2016
Still love this movie! A bit short, and could have used a bit more exposition...but it is still a classic that I enjoy. Dom DeLuise still makes me laugh as Jeremy the crow. Jerry Goldsmith's music is just as good today as it was then. If you haven't shown your kids this oldie...perhaps you should consider it. Would like to see this with a live-action style cgi remake.
½ August 16, 2016
Don Bluth's best film! Before the little mermaid, this was the film which defined the 1980's!
August 1, 2016
Breathtaking. The animation is fluid and stunning, the characters are memorable and charming. There is real emotion here and the story is well-paced. You really feel for Mrs. Brisby and want to see her succeed in saving her children. The acting is also amazing. Definitely Don Bluth's best movie.
July 23, 2016
If you exclude the great anime films of the 1980s and the 1989 animated film that would start the Disney Renaissance "The Little Mermaid", The Secret of NIMH is easily the best, most beautifully animated film from the 1980s.
July 6, 2016
Don Bluth's masterpiece hits the arrow home when you're older and realize no one's there to help you but your self.
June 6, 2016
The Secret of NIMH has its problems including the troubling lack of emotion in it and too many characters with most of them being not that memorable, but the story is so fantastic and intriguing, the score is superb, the approach is refreshingly darker and more mature, there are some truly powerful and atmospheric sequences here and the animation is exceptional and one of the best of the time. It isn't great, but it is certainly a very good, very authentic animated film.
½ June 4, 2016
I did not expect to genuinely love this movie. Probably a little too scary for children though.
May 24, 2016
This is not only one of the most underrated films of all time, but this is one the best movies I've ever seen. This movie has everything that makes an animated film great. The writing is fantastic with an engaging story that looks very deeply into science vs. nature. The animation is phenomenal with some truly beautiful moments. The characters are all memorable and lovable and you can easily relate to them. If you're a film fan, if you're an animation fan, if you're not a moviegoer, please, I beg you, go see this film. It's amazing, it's beautiful, it's an animated masterpiece.
½ April 29, 2016
The 80s were a weird time for children's animation. Disney had pretty much fallen apart by the time the 80s rolled around and their animated efforts were pretty bad at the time. A lot of talented people either left or were fired by Disney, and one of the people that left was Don Bluth. Bluth felt that Disney was being run poorly, and left with some other Disney animators to form his own company...and their first feature film was "The Secret of NIMH" which is pretty solid and dark children's fantasy film about a widow mouse who turns to super intelligent rats to help save her home and her sick child. It is darker, but that doesn't mean that kids can't enjoy it. My daughter got scared once, but she seemed to enjoy it overall. Most importantly, this is some quality animation telling a story with heart, something much of Disney in the 80s was lacking.
½ April 20, 2016
I think that this isn't so bad but really isn't special either. Ok for kids, if a little dark and gloomy for a cartoon.
April 17, 2016
My favorite animated movie, or one of my top five favorites! The poster for this is very misleading, and seeing it as an adult, it's hard to believe how dark and mature it all is. I'd recommend giving this a watch.
April 14, 2016
The Secret of NiMH has great atmosphere, incredible characters and excellent, beautiful artwork. When legendary animator Don Bluth makes a good movie, he makes a classic, and this is by far one of his best.
February 12, 2016
Tan tradicional y clásica como podría serlo cualquiera de las obras maestras de Disney. Don Bluth hizo de esta película una mezcla ideal de tradicionalismo + su toque propio, con un sabor bastante místico y mucho más atrevida y apasionada a lo que las personas estaban acostumbradas a ver. Sencillamente maravillosa. Five stars!!!
½ January 29, 2016
Murder, attempted murder, sorcery, genetic engineering, peril, creepy visuals; hardly a young children's movie. But for the somewhat older, it is a great, well-told tale that is dark, interesting, even a bit thrilling. Plenty of interesting themes.
½ January 23, 2016
Srsly undermined by a bunch of throwaway kid's fantasy tropes (magic stone, wizened wise elders) and a throwaway villain, but has a p good script and great environment art and a good share of intensity
January 1, 2016
I am absolutely envious who ever saw this movie as a kid this movie is brilliant like I said in my Kiki's Delivery Service Review it is a masterpiece that takes an audience very seriously although one is a coming of age story and this one is a survival story they're just both amazing stories with great characters
December 29, 2015
With one of the best main characters in a animated movie, The Secret of NIMH was a classic movies that shows what makes animation great, and a great way for Don Bluth to start his independent career.