The Secret of NIMH - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret of NIMH Reviews

½ September 4, 2017
I'm open for movies kids and children could like, and this looked like just what I'd want to see. Within the few minutes, I was surprised to see an archetype not common in animated films. By the end, the film delivered everything a younger me would've loved and want to see similar things.
August 8, 2017
This is definitely one of the greatest animated films of all time and should've gotten more credit at the box office if it hadn't been for E.T.,
it's both dark, thrilling, and emotional for everyone to enjoy... at least the kids should watch it with their parents or guardian.
½ July 18, 2017
Former Disney animator Don Bluth took a group of 8 disgruntled animators and started Don Bluth Studios. It hasn't become Disney's rival but during the 80s and early 90s, DBS was putting out quite arguably, better animated films during that period. This adaptation of Mrs. Bigsby and The Rats of Nimh is easily one of the greatest animated films of all time. Beautifully animated and wonderfully voice acted, SOTN is classic cinema at its best.
½ May 30, 2017
The film was visually nostalgic and easy on the eyes, but most of the magical elements of the film came off as cheesy instead of interesting because it is never explained. Most of the characters are fantastic with a few exceptions, less a children's classic and more a movie night for a party.
May 6, 2017
In my personal opinion this is how mice would evolve.
April 22, 2017
Such a great classic cartoon. It's dark, mature and has some great designs and animation along with an interesting, refreshing story.
April 17, 2017
Strong character development, set in a beautifully crafted drawn world.
April 15, 2017
My score: 8/10. While i thought it had its boring moments, it did make up for a clever & dark story, great hand drawn animation, and likeable characters.
½ March 2, 2017
3.5/5 Stars. Decent kids movie. Mice have to save their home from the farmer's tractor by getting help from super-intelligent rats. The songs weren't awful like American Tail's, and the animation was pretty solid. There was actual blood and violent wounding/killing shown, which you would never see in a Disney film. The gem necklace is a cheap gimmick, but that's never a surprise with these films. The biggest problem was that the rats are super-intelligent, but somehow virtually every other creature is as well (Brisby can understand English even), completely negating whatever superpowers the rats supposedly have aside from knowing how to work a pulley system.

Overall, worth a watch since it was Bluth's first film post-Disney. You can see elements of Friar Tuck in Mr. Ages' face and some classic Disney facial contortions on behalf of the villain Jenner. No doubt a great film if you're an aspiring animator.
February 10, 2017
This movie should be called The Secret of Niche. Like how I explained in my recent Army of Darkness review, you need to be a part of a certain group in order to love this movie. Sadly, I don't think I am in this group that loves The Secret of NIMH. Even more sadly, I thought I would be. I like fantasy type films, especially if they are animated. However, this film just did not have the right hook to grab me and really pull me in. I can, however, appreciate the elements of the film that were done well. The animation, for the time, is very good. The musical score by Jerry Goldsmith is great and the overall idea of the story is pretty interesting. Just don't ask me to explain it. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I had a hard time following a film about a mouse trying to save her son by journeying into a rose bush on a farm which is actually a secret society of intelligent rats who... wait... what? why does she need to do that again? Did I miss something? And who are these new people who are apparently villains now? I was lost during a kids animation film. I would probably have been able to follow along more if I really cared about the characters. To me, this film was just okay. However, if you love adventure and you were born in the year 2010 and onward, if you have your mom's password to her Netflix, this could be a good choice for you. Or if you love all things 80's fantasy animation. If you are in that group, check it out.
February 2, 2017
It's easy to scoff at Don Bluth as a Walt Disney wannabe, but if he ever made anything capable of rivaling the House of Mouse, it was "The Secret of NIMH."
January 8, 2017
Love this movie so much, it's a masterpiece and one of my childhood favorites. I find the story to be undoubtedly fantastic, the animation is awesome, and most of the characters are incredibly well-written, especially Mrs. Brisby, who is truly one of the greatest heroines in both movies and cartoons. Not only is this Don Bluth's best, but it's also one of my favorite animated films.
½ November 19, 2016
The Secret of NIMH (1982) Is a lovely but also dark animated movie by legendary Don Bluth. Well lets face it most of his animated films have dark elements that are legitimately creepy. The story is mostly simple but along the way there are some complex elements that are very interesting and leave me thinking on what could possibly happen next. The animation is both beautiful and horrifying at the same time. There are some animated sequences that rubbed my head the wrong way including one that reveals what NIMH actually is. I was surprised to find out that this movie establishes Wizarding magic and how the rats know how to control it. It gave the movie a very different outlook and thanks to it's great execution it increases the movies enjoyability. The characters are very well meaning and their goals are very straightforward Mrs. Brisby's only goal is find a way to cure his son Timmy before the farmer's tractor comes and runs over the entire field wiping out all rodent life. I find it amazing to see the amazing lengths she'll go to set things right for herself and her family she might not like what she does but it's her courage that keeps her going and I love that. The rest of the characters are just there to serve the movie but they don't distract from what's important and they have really good personalities. I will admit that the audio on the music and voice acting does feel weird but that's because it was made in the early 80's and they probably didn't have the proper technology for that. I'm not giving a complaint it's just me nitpicking cause they still made all the music and voices come to life. This movie is bound to make you feel horrified but also amazed at the same time. If you're new to Don Bluth movies and you want to get to know them then this is an excellent place to start. (A)
November 8, 2016
The Secret of NIMH is a beautifully animated and emotionally powerful classic that deftly balances cuteness and subtlety.
½ October 13, 2016
Still love this movie! A bit short, and could have used a bit more exposition...but it is still a classic that I enjoy. Dom DeLuise still makes me laugh as Jeremy the crow. Jerry Goldsmith's music is just as good today as it was then. If you haven't shown your kids this oldie...perhaps you should consider it. Would like to see this with a live-action style cgi remake.
½ August 16, 2016
Don Bluth's best film! Before the little mermaid, this was the film which defined the 1980's!
August 1, 2016
Breathtaking. The animation is fluid and stunning, the characters are memorable and charming. There is real emotion here and the story is well-paced. You really feel for Mrs. Brisby and want to see her succeed in saving her children. The acting is also amazing. Definitely Don Bluth's best movie.
July 23, 2016
If you exclude the great anime films of the 1980s and the 1989 animated film that would start the Disney Renaissance "The Little Mermaid", The Secret of NIMH is easily the best, most beautifully animated film from the 1980s.
July 6, 2016
Don Bluth's masterpiece hits the arrow home when you're older and realize no one's there to help you but your self.
June 6, 2016
The Secret of NIMH has its problems including the troubling lack of emotion in it and too many characters with most of them being not that memorable, but the story is so fantastic and intriguing, the score is superb, the approach is refreshingly darker and more mature, there are some truly powerful and atmospheric sequences here and the animation is exceptional and one of the best of the time. It isn't great, but it is certainly a very good, very authentic animated film.