Secret Window - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Secret Window Reviews

January 18, 2017
Johnny Depp with this movie proved that he is one of the most versatile and consistently good actors ever. He turned the movie more funny and dark at the same time, he really did a good job. The movie could be considered a masterpiece in movies industry. It isn't only one more bloody movie. It has a clever story, a strong script, organised screenplay, it's really unpredictable and we can really say that is plot is replet of Hitchcockian twists and turns, the final is really original and helps that the movie never stop improving at the end. Really thrilling and dark, and excellent exemple of a psychological thriller.
January 17, 2017
I liked this. Very strange but very entertaining.
December 14, 2016
A successful writer who accused of plagiarism.

It was based on the novel, though the original title makes more sense than this film. Maybe they wanted to avert the spoiler. But I don't think it would have affected much, because the twist comes at the final segment. The tale of a writer who is in the middle of divorce and now living alone is the lake house got threatened by a stranger, because according to him he stole his story. Followed by many unpleasant events, how he gets out of the trouble told in the next half.

Feels just an okay kind. Though Johnny Depp was good. The suspense was good, particularly in the first half, but later it comes falling down. The second half was average, the twist was not interesting enough. After some point, you might predict it, but the point is it was too familiar. I especially did not like the finale, it was like not in detail. Still a watchable film, because of the actor and for decently made. So I think worth a watch if you keep a low expectation.

6/10
November 19, 2016
there's been a few movies now with the same twist ending like this one i'v seen. it's a night time mood movie.
½ July 22, 2016
Johnny Depp remains irresistibly eccentric even as the preposterous un-thrilling movie crumbles around him.
July 18, 2016
One of my favorite Stephen King adaptations.
June 12, 2016
Was not expecting that twist at the end.
May 26, 2016
Secret Window has some interesting ideas and a good performance from Johnny Depp, but, as a whole, I would best describe it as forgettable. The final denouement tracks into territory that has already been explored many times before (and many times better). The buildup has moments of temporary suspense and I was curious to see where it was going, but the payoff was underwhelming and platitudinous.
May 15, 2016
David Koepp is an amazing writer. He's penned some truly great film including Carlitos Way, Jurassic Park and War of the Worlds. His directorial endeavors however, aren't as memorable, although Premium Rush has some oomph to it. With Secret Window, based on a Stephen King novella Koepp explores the thriller genre. The set-up: a depressed writer is accused of plagiarism by a menacing figure, who begins stalking him. Depp and Turturro are both fine, but the melancholy pace takes it's toll on the viewer. Not great but good.
March 27, 2016
I actually really liked it. The acting was good and the story was interesting and the ending was pretty good. I haven't read the books so I'm going solely off the movie. Nothing really new or unique though. 6.5/10
March 18, 2016
First time I saw it, I really despised the ending. The more I watched it, the more it made sense to me. Was very intrigued by the character of Mort Rainey. This one grew on me. Great performances. Ending is clearly not for everybody. But it pulls me in, now. I very much related to Mort Rainey's artistic endeavours & sleeping patterns. I can't think of another movie that so deftly portrays an artist struggling with writer's block. Loved that.
½ February 17, 2016
Don't listen to the noise, this is a great movie. If you like 'trippy movies with suspense" led by Johnny Depp who navigates your trip... you'll love it. It's a cool movie.
½ January 5, 2016
It had a facinating twist. Johnny Depp gave a good performance. The script was good. Three reasons why I liked it. Even though they made the film seem like a horror movie by it's cover, it was not a horror film to me after watching it, but more of a Mystery, Drama.
November 18, 2015
"Secret Window" is well acted and there are some genuinely creepy moments but you can tell it's based on a short story because the movie feels padded out.

Mort Rainey (Johnny Depp) is a stressed and depressed writer hiding in a secluded cabin to "working" while avoiding his impending divorce. Mort is surprised when John Shooter (John Turturro), a Mississippi dairy farmer suddenly confronts him and accuses him of plagiarism. Mort dismisses the man until it becomes clear that Shooter's threats are genuine.

Johnny Depp is convincing as an author who's circling the drain, wasting his time on the couch instead of writing, basically washed up and very bitter about his failed marriage. He makes for an interesting protagonist because just when you think it can't get any worse for him, it does. John Turturro is truly awesome as John Shooter, who comes out of the blue one day with some accusations of plagiarism. He comes off as really creepy when he asks not for money, but for a technical compensation. It's something to do with the story itself. I won't say any more. Turturro looks and sounds threatening in a creepy, offbeat way that gets you hooked.

The problem is in the way the characters' reactions are written. Everyone is taking this news of death threats and impending violence like it's accusations of witchcraft. The town sheriff doesn't seem very concerned after things start to escalate, Mort's wife Amy (Maria Bello) doesn't even try to be cautious even when things are clearly spinning out of control. When threatened with death you still never sense that she realizes how dire the situation is. Mort even hires a bodyguard who treats the whole thing like it's a joke. All of these low-key responses take away a lot of the tension. It's too bad because it builds up tremendously whenever Mort and John are on-screen.

There are some good parts here and there in "Secret Window". I liked the ending so overall it's an ok thriller. It's not great but worth taking a look to see if it will be your thing. (On Dvd, February 28, 2013)
October 18, 2015
2015-10-18 Johnny was good but this was creepy and confusing. why didn't the cleaning lady ever come back? why the heck did he kill his own dog? and what's with the braces and vest at the end, a third personality?
½ October 14, 2015
Has its moments but there's too much unintentional silliness and the script isn't as smart as it thinks it is.
½ September 19, 2015
Boring,pretictble and by far one of the worst psychological thriller I've ever seen.Poorly writeen and acted,with zero suspense and a cliche twist ending.Don't bother.
½ September 16, 2015
I watched this movie once and wanted my money back. This would have been difficult to do as I watched it on TV. So instead I went into my brother's room, took $5 off his dresser and told him he was responsible for my unhappiness. He has yet to forgive me for this transgression and I hold this movie directly responsible for the rift it has caused in my family.
½ September 12, 2015
An incredible film. Until the stupid twist then it became really really stupid
½ August 29, 2015
The film shows little respect to its audience. It serves up obvious twists and plot difficulties alongside dialogue so in-your-face that it leaves nothing to ponder about afterwards. John Turturro's performance was dull and monotonous, and unfortunately not redeemed by Maria Bello's above average acting. The score stood out to be the best part of the movie but again, unfortunately ruined by the swift cuts to cheap jumpscare imagery. For a "psychological thriller", it failed to create any suspense or tension in me.