Selma - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Selma Reviews

October 17, 2018
Extremely moving in parts and some absolutely top notch performances, especially by the rightly lauded Oyelowo. I'll be honest though the first half is very dry and if I'm honest a little boring. It does come together well in the second half but I felt the interesting concepts are all touched upon rather than fully fleshed out. Felt to me like a film lifted above by the performances rather than a clear message from the Director.
½ October 2, 2018
Some history is hard to watch but important to learn...the attempt to understand and perceive many viewpoints can bring you to a place where you are better for this attempt. This movie aids in that attempt significantly. Made me contemplate the sacrifice MLK gave of his followers. He purposely put them where the conflict was most likely to arise, where the enemy would most likely heat up to make mistakes of violence. This is a sad fact to me but still he is a hero and made extreme strides for African Americans and all Americans. I also contemplated those whites waving Confederate banners and swinging batons and the white people that were beaten or murdered for supporting the black cause..such intolerance, such cruelty. Its a lot to process and our society still struggles.
½ September 7, 2018
In spite of a clearly biased story that terribly mistreats Lyndon B. Johnson's character and leaves out other important events and historical figures, "Selma" benefits from a fine direction from Ava DuVernay, Bradford Young's realistic cinematography and one stellar cast led by David Oyelowo, resulting in a successful and relevant if not entirely faithful drama about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his nonviolent fight for equality.
½ September 1, 2018
The important thing about historical films is that they show us things that we may not have seen. The Selma march is a key part of Dr. King's legacy, and was instrumental in getting the Voting Rights Act passed, a law that stood untouched for nearly fifty years until its key enforcement clauses were knocked down by the Supreme Court.

Director Ava DuVernay has successfully captured the mood of all parties directly affected by the stirrings happening in Selma. David Oyelowo gives a stirring performance as Dr. King, and Tom Wilkinson is quite capable as LBJ. It is easy to feel the reverberations when these two powerful, intelligent men clashed over when and how to give African Americans unimpeded access to the vote while people were beaten and murdered in the streets by angry rednecks.

In a time now where protesting has become much more common, and the people of this country are divided over many issues, a film like this is deeply important, because it reminds us of just how we can come together and overcome the ingrained problems of this country to forge a better future. Segregation and racism was so rooted in the south then, and it is truly not that much better now, but intelligent people stood together, made plans, and stuck to their guns. It is a road map for all who wish to evoke social change in this country, and it is a remarkable achievement in film to give us such an unfiltered look into how it all went down.

We've come a long way, but still have so far to go.
½ August 10, 2018
What a great storytelling of our nations history. A must see. The gracefulness and respect that was shown in making Selma is evident throughout the movie. It's not another "Eyes on the Prize" documentary. It's not glorification of MLK. It's a clean cut telling of what people can do when we put our minds together. For this reason, in my opinion, Selma is a 5/5 or a 10/10 or a 100/100. Whatever measure you use, Selma adds up.
July 20, 2018
The bridge scene is jarring, scarring and hard to stomach. Really hard to watch without feeling anger and sadness in equal measure. This happened but a few years before I was born, this era of hatred occurred not long before I came onto this planet.
June 18, 2018
The incredible struggle this man went through, focusing on the peaceful protests to gain national attention for the black man's vote. Good decision to roll credits before his insufferable demise, leaving the viewer with a sense of glory, rather than hopelessness.
½ May 20, 2018
Duvernay and Oyelowo turn Selma into the perfect inspirational microcosm for the civil rights movement.
April 29, 2018
A film with great drama that is, at the same time, also down to earth. Selma grippingly portraits King's struggle against segregation. King's depiction as a human with flaws greatly adds to the movie. It makes him relatable and grounds the movie in reality.
½ April 24, 2018
A gripping and well acted movie. It's a must-see for anyone interested in MLK, the time period, or just anyone looking for a good movie. My only issues were the effects and music, which took away from the realism, and the editing. The transitions were pretty damn bad.
April 22, 2018
Beautiful and inspirational.
March 27, 2018
This was powerful, amazing acting, a must see for everyone
½ March 17, 2018
My full opinion: 9.3/10.
March 11, 2018
Selma shows Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as a man who must lead, not one that chose such a difficult life for himself. On the contrary, it was very difficult for King and his family. In trying times, he chose to be truthful, brave, dignified, yet remained modest in his composure. King is an undeniable hero for the ages. Director Ava Duvernay really captures how he touches people's lives and changed the country, but why he was necessary.

Selma is beautifully shot with cinematography that lets in the scenery. Ava Duvernay directs Selma with passion to show pain, intellect, and unity among the black community during the 1960's Civil Rights Movement. America could use this brilliantly written film now more than ever. Racial politics are a part of the daily conversation still, so it would behoove you to educate and inform yourself on the most notable Civil Rights leaders. A fun and entertaining way to learn about this important time period in modern American history would be to just watch Ava Duvernay's Selma & Spike Lee's Malcolm X.

While Selma is not a full biopic on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., it does rise to the challenge of communicating the issue of black voting rights and how their rights as humans were denied to them by government law and prevented change by the racist South. Duvernay takes her time crafting the context and setting for these events. She establishes the major figures, then dives into the deeply emotional and difficult obstacles that King had to overcome.

Strong acting performances from David Oyelowo as King as well as the stand out performance from the young actor portraying Congressman John Lewis. I enjoyed the whole cast, who all play their part with conviction and passion. They are subtle in their choices and deeply engaging. Selma is a rare gem is historical cinema as it is both entertaining and educational. I was really moved by this film. It plays on the reality of the situation, so as not to force contrived emotions, but rather build up your empathy from the violence and danger of the situation.

I highly recommend Ava Duvernay's Selma.
½ March 10, 2018
dull. not worth your time. when are we going to get a good movie about the civil rights fight?
March 10, 2018
I really enjoyed this movie...but It bothered me that the main villian, George Wallace, was portrayed at a conservative, when it was a fact that he was a democrat. Something has to be said for a director to mindlessly change important facts like this. This director seems more concerned with propoganda and twisting facts, then the truth. Thats why im not excited to see a wrinkle in time. She more concern with an agenda, then telling a story.
February 10, 2018
The guy looks just like MLK. I wished the movie continued more historically but I guess that wanted to leave the movie open to a wide audience.
February 3, 2018
While this film tells a very important story, it cannot be denied that the film itself as a film is lacking in many different ways. Unfortunately the subject matter allows for too many critics to forgive some of the mistakes that are very glaringly obvious. The direction of this film is vastly overstated and overrated in so many ways. The acting is superb.