Selma Reviews

• Jan 20, 2020

David Oyelowo gives a powerhouse performance as Martin Luther King Jr. in Ava DuVernay's emotional, first-class biopic.

• Dec 12, 2019

Perfect in every way, from the script to the performances, the message that this film gives us is strong.

• Oct 24, 2019

It is that time of year when I go see all the Oscar-nominated films I haven't yet seen. Selma was one of those I wanted to see, but was turned off by the talk of the historical inaccuracies when it came to LBJ's portrayal. Combined with the ridiculous Al Sharpton protests because of the lack of Director and Actor nods for anyone in Selma, I wasn't entirely excited about seeing the film. However, I'm a relatively objective person though, so I'm happy to say that, while I haven't seen all of the movies yet for which actors have been nominated, I have to admit that I am stunned about the lack of a nod for David Oyelowo. His performance is outstanding. I'm all for Michael Keaton winning an Oscar, but admittedly, David's performance is right up there. His portrayal as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. has to be a Top 5 performance. If it truly isn't, then the ones who were nominated must be insanely good. While I cannot speak for the historical accuracy of LBJ's portrayal, I thought the movie treated the history I DO know, very fairly. Selma has some odd moments, such as the sudden introduction, then little-discussed disappearance, of Malcolm X, but there wasn't an over-dramatic over-portrayal of either side. I am from the deep South and saw the ridiculous behavior of white America not too far after that matched pretty well with the whites displayed in Selma. Even after 50 years, the message of Selma remains so strong, not for just black America, but for every race, culture, sexual preference, etc. It seems so ridiculous that we still struggle as a nation to admit that we have pockets of inequality. Women in the work force, continued racism and the absurd stance that some still have about gay marriage. Movies like this should be required watching.

• Oct 14, 2019

An inspiring film with great acting...Oyelowo portrays MLK Jr. with a large amount of dignity and grace

• Aug 19, 2019

Students learning about history would be benefited to this!

Students learning about history would be benefited to this!

• Jul 16, 2019

slow going, but, it gives you a real taste for battle of inequality and racial injustice in the 1960's and MLK battle for justice with the President and local leaders

• Jan 30, 2019

This movie would have been better under a seasoned director. Music is horrible, and transitions leave a lot to be desired. I had high hopes for this one.

• Dec 16, 2018

Very well made and well acted. David Oyelowo did an amazing job of portraying Dr. King, especially given that he's not American himself.

• Nov 13, 2018

I’m angry at the critics 99% rating. It was boring af.

I’m angry at the critics 99% rating. It was boring af.

• Oct 17, 2018

Extremely moving in parts and some absolutely top notch performances, especially by the rightly lauded Oyelowo. I'll be honest though the first half is very dry and if I'm honest a little boring. It does come together well in the second half but I felt the interesting concepts are all touched upon rather than fully fleshed out. Felt to me like a film lifted above by the performances rather than a clear message from the Director.