Sergeant Rutledge Reviews

• Aug 28, 2018

Really a brilliant movie, which introduced me to the history of the Buffalo Soldiers. I like that, along with the serious drama there are also some moments of hilarity, mostly provided by actress Billie Burke. I like that many of the characters in the movie are not as prejudiced as one might expect--though how far they would have been willing to go to see true justice done is anyone's guess. Brilliant performance by Woody Strode--some of the best acting I have ever seen done. I enjoyed this movie in my childhood and continue to love it as an adult.

• May 13, 2018

An astonishing film not only for its sheer visual and narrative excellence but also for its early acknowledgement of race relations in America.

• Jan 02, 2018

Jeffrey Hunter's second film with director John Ford after critically acclaim "The Searchers" stars as Lt. Tom Cantrell appointed to defend his friend, Sergeant Rugledge (Woody Strode) who was accused of heinous acts. Second movie John Ford centers on racism which coincidentally was also about racism as well.

• Nov 23, 2017

decades ahead of its time, recognizing skin color sometimes makes people come to the wrong conclusions

• Nov 14, 2017

A cinematic story of a cavalry court case that is a little simplistic, but still compelling.

• Apr 18, 2017

Particular crime-western movie with a good and not exagerated anti racial moral

Particular crime-western movie with a good and not exagerated anti racial moral

• Apr 20, 2014

Good Ford western, with his typical lively word play between characters. Woody Strode is so good as the title character in this one.

• Feb 24, 2014

Watched several times

Watched several times

• Dec 14, 2013

John Ford is my favorite American director, but this one, although good, is a mixed bag. Woody Strode is a US Cavalry soldier accused of murder. The story unfolds in flashbacks at his court martial, with Jeffrey Hunter as his defense lawyer. Ford pushed Hollywood boundaries by tackling racism towards African Americans in the midst of the civil rights movement, but the film ironically continues the racist Hollywood tradition of portraying Native Americans as inhuman savages. Ford actually took care to portray Native Americans in a better light than most filmmakers of the time, but it's a portrayal that would hardly be considered progressive by today's standards and feels especially out of place in this film considering the subject matter. The other aspect of the film that doesn't quite work is the out of place comedy that is sprinkled throughout the film. Still, it's an engaging story and I really did not know how the film was going to end. Woody Strode is great and probably would have been a much bigger star if he'd been making film 40 years later. It's very cool to see an African American in the lead of a Hollywood film, which is something that rarely happened in this era. It's also always great to see Ford filming in Monument Valley. Constance Towers and Hank Worden also appear in the film.

• Nov 09, 2013