Sergeant York Reviews

• Jan 26, 2019

The best, GREATEST thrilling and inspiring movie ever made! With the best movie character ever portrayed: Gary Cooper as Alvin C. York!

• Jan 23, 2019

Very likable. The war scenes are really unrealistic.

Very likable. The war scenes are really unrealistic.

• Oct 10, 2018

I'll be honest. I was mildly disappointed by this. I'm a big history buff. I love me some war movies. Every movie I've seen from Howard Hawks so far has been fantastic. And I think Gary Cooper is the man. So, what went wrong here for me? Well, first and foremost, we don't even get introduced to the notion of war until about two-thirds of the way through this thing. Up until that point, it's us watching Alvin York try to earn enough money to buy a plot of land in his hometown so that he can impress the girl he fancies. And I get it -- you have to build a story and a character before you place them in any sort of fray. But this is most of the story we're given throughout the film. Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking this was going to be a strict war movie, but judging by the poster and logline at hand, I may have to give myself a pass on this one. This isn't a bad movie. It's just a sometimes painfully safe, Hays Code era studio picture looking to Hollywood-ize a complex human being's life down to thematically palatable terms. Yes, the war scenes are terrific. Once we get there. Beyond -- or rather, before -- that, though, I couldn't justify a lot of what the movie chose to focus on instead.

• Aug 11, 2018

Gary Cooper with his hillbilly accent knocks this bio-pic out og thye ball park . Won best actor for his role of Sergeant York

• Jun 14, 2018

Really, acting personified. Came in to this pretty much expecting a bit of a rah rah for the US and Gary Cooper. Came out with SO MUCH TONS more respect for Cooper and his acting. Essentially a 2 hour coup de force acting showcase for Coop. as he portrays a country drunk maturing, falling in love, and then getting called off to war. Why I want to compare this to Forrest Gump, I dunno, but the parralels are there. One of the best movies I have had the pleasure to see this year.

• Dec 24, 2017

This movie holds up well for its age.

This movie holds up well for its age.

• Aug 27, 2017

One of my favorite films of all time. Gary Cooper was handpicked by the real Alvin York to play him in the film, and for good reason. Gary Cooper will steal your heart as the backwoods, uneducated bumpkin who went on to prove his heroism in the face of battle, using his sharpshooting skills to save lives.

• Sep 16, 2016

Wonderful movie about a true hero. Not sure how accurate all the details are, but even if only half were true it is still a phenomenal story!

• Apr 13, 2016

First time viewing...Super Cooper!

First time viewing...Super Cooper!

• Mar 21, 2016

Follows the book very well.

Follows the book very well.