Serial Mom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Serial Mom Reviews

August 7, 2016
My favourite John Waters movie so far! This is one of those horror movies that are so outrageous they're hilarious, or in other words a black comedy (which is slightly more scary than funny). I highly recommend this movie.
July 15, 2016
Life's not going too well at The Cocksucker Residence. And it all goes hilariously, tastelessly over the top from there! Or downhill depending on your point of view.
May 26, 2016
Not much of a comedy or thrilling in anyway. Fails on all fronts.
March 27, 2016
To this day, this is the worst movie I've ever seen. I just signed up for Rotten Tomatoes so I could review Batman V Superman, and I immediately came here just to give this thing as low of a rating as I could. Total garbage...
January 13, 2016
HILARIOUS movie. Both the writing and directing were done so well by John Waters.
½ January 4, 2016
I remember watching this movie around the age of 13. As I get older this movie only gets better. Lots of great kills and terrible jokes. Thanks Pops for letting me watch R rated films as a young teen.
½ January 4, 2016
Not as funny as I had hoped for. Still very much a Waters film, though.
½ November 12, 2015
Hilariously subversive and campy.
October 29, 2015
The acting is terrible, but great cheesy fun!
October 21, 2015
A comedy serial funny.
½ October 5, 2015
For a comedy, it was a flop. Just very boring...
½ August 13, 2015
Si no puedes crear ni una buena historia ni buenos personajes, hazlo ridiculo y divertido. A veces funciona.
July 14, 2015
This movie is hilarious! I've watched it a dozen times.
July 1, 2015
The best John Waters film by far with a superb cast and a blacker than black comic story. Turner is excellant as are Lake and the rest of the cast.
½ April 11, 2015
Kathleen Turner is great in the role and you want to really love this satire of sick obsession and a murder spree -- but somehow John Waters fails to bring it all together. Still, well worth a look for Water's fans.
December 28, 2014
With plenty of dark thrills to balance out with the laughs, Serial Mom is a unique black comedy that succeeds nicely with a strong female lead by Kathleen Turner as the title character.
December 4, 2014
Funny, gory, and incredibly great acting Serial mom is one of many favourites
November 16, 2014
An oldie but a goodie. Kathleen Turner is hilarious!
September 27, 2014
"Is it menopausal?" Eugene Sutphin (Sam Waterston) frantically asks his wife, Beverly (Kathleen Turner). On their way to church, Eugene, Beverly, and their two kids, Misty (Ricki Lake) and Chip (Matthew Lillard), are being followed by at least a dozen police cars. Why? Beverly has just been accused of, or rather, found out, as the murderer of a bunch of townspeople.
You would never guess she was a serial killer. She is a housewife, a woman that speaks like Carol Brady and conveys the innocence of Lucy Ricardo - but if anyone dares to wear white shoes after labor day, eat rotisserie chicken, break her daughter's heart, or accuse her son of having a sick fascination with horror movies, they meet their end. Beverly isn't like one of Cary Grant's spinster aunts in "Arsenic and Old Lace". She is the female Norman Bates, or even better, Norman Bates' mother.
John Waters has made plenty of completely tasteless, sincerely crazy movies, but "Serial Mom" contains no dog poop consumption, no wacky drag queens. It's accessible, and, ultimately, a complete delight.
The suburban setting is played in such a satirical light that when the birds aren't chirping, the neighbors aren't making small talk over cookies, Beverly's antics are a sheer shock, all the more funny because it plays with such contrast over everything else. The early scenes in the film, which show Beverly with her family before school, are bitingly hilarious because you can feel how much Waters is going out of his way to make all the fun he can of the likes of Donna Reed or Doris Day.
As a serial killing mom, Turner is fabulous. The film is one of Waters' few that have a serious actress at the front, and Turner is totally campy and clearly having a fantastic time. When she's playing a goody-two-shoes mother, Turner's voice is breathy and deceivingly sweet, but once she turns into a maniac, the evil glimmer in her eyes is thoroughly convincing, even a little bit frightening. People think of Turner as the femme fatale in "Body Heat" or Chandler's mom in "Friends". But as Serial Mom, she gives one of her most memorable, finest performances.
What keeps the film from floating away into planet camp is how satirically smart it is. Once Beverly is arrested, the media goes into a flurry. Rather than making her out to be a monster, she becomes a celebrity, understandably. With her kindly image and murderous instincts, she's a character of unbelievability and it attracts the attention of nearly everyone around her.
Outside her trial, her kids sell Serial Mom merchandise, whether it be buttons, T-shirts or hats. One women even sympathizes with Beverly: "I could kill a few people myself sometimes," she groans. After Beverly kills someone at a rock concert (the band, Camel Lips, is actually L7 in disguise), the crowd doesn't look at her with hate, but instead, with glory, chanting "Serial Mom! Serial Mom!"
Whether Waters is trying to warn against the influences of media or simply laugh at how twisted it can get, it's hard to tell. But what he has concocted is a superbly fun and outrageous comedy that is, still, unlike any comedy out there. And with cameos from Traci Lords, Patty Hearst (yes, Patty Hearst), Joan Rivers, and Suzanne Sommers (who is playing herself, studying Beverly for the chance of an Emmy), "Serial Mom" is broad and funny.
September 21, 2014
Raunchy, absurd, and wooden dialogue make this a certified B-Movie that will humor up any day.