Sharknado 5: Global Swarming Reviews

• Jun 14, 2020

still fun but the returns are diminishing. The returning castmates help a lot.

still fun but the returns are diminishing. The returning castmates help a lot.

• Jan 20, 2020

No reason to make more movies that people does not have any interest. This already has a end. CGI is acceptable compared to previous movies (except Sharknado).

• Oct 12, 2019

At this point, their milking a dead franchise

At this point, their milking a dead franchise

• Jun 08, 2019

Why do they keep pinching these turds out?

Why do they keep pinching these turds out?

• Mar 14, 2019

DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS

DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS

• Jan 28, 2019

NO WAY!!! they actually made a fifth. bruh.

NO WAY!!! they actually made a fifth. bruh.

• Sep 10, 2018

terrible all around. the previous movies didn't make any sense but i still knew what was going on. i had no idea what was happening in most of this movie. it was all madness. barely funny. i was either unfamiliar with the references or else they did nothing for me. (1 viewing)

• Aug 01, 2018

It never ceases to amaze me how they keep making these and they all still end up feeling a bit different. This one is crazy and awful...but in a fun way.

• Jul 18, 2018

If you thought that the last Sharknado film has gone full bonkers, then the fifth entry of this long running ridiculously so bad its good franchise is the biggest bonkers of them all. It is Syfy's own Avengers: Infinity War where that film is the culmination of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Global Swarming is for the Sharknado franchise. This film immediately picks up where The 4th Awakens left off as Fin, his wife April and their youngest son Gil with the help of Nova Clarke are searching for clues that leads on how to stop the Sharknadoes but this time, they're back and are stronger, bigger and more dangerous than ever as the Sharknadoes are about to devour not just the United States but the whole population of earth as the family race against time to prevent the end of the world from getting devoured by sharks while every country across the globe is thrown into disarray and chaos. To my surprise what I did not know about the later on Sharknado films beginning with Sharknado: The 4th Awakens, Global Swarming and the upcoming Sharknado 6. These last three entries are the Syfy channel's Avengers: Infinity War Parts 1, 2 and 3, Making it the most ambitious ones to date as Sharknado duo Anthony C. Ferrante and Thunder Levin deliver a globally idiotic, most absurd and also the dumbest entry in this long running franchise that is about to come into full closure filled with good mishaps on the sides. If Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No introduced new concepts to this franchise like parody jokes and references to White House Down and Die Hard, the fourth installment parodied Star Wars The Force Awakens, Twister and a few Horror films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise along with Stephen King's Christine, King Arthur and The Terminator films. Sharknado 5: Global Swarming has the most parodies of all Sharknado films from Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Mission Impossible, 007's Skyfall, the aforementioned Avengers Infinity War, Godzilla, Bicentennial Man and Back To The Future that includes cameos too as we get to see six legendary famous people that ranges from Brett Michaels, Tom Daley, Tony Hawk, Gilbert Gottfried, Dolph Lundgren and Fabio all in limited roles. This time, we see more brainstorming ideas as the film adds new elements that gives us more American Cheese like mutant sharks, chainsaws that shoots lasers with the touch of a button, riding on sharks as it slides down the stairs, using a Big Ben hand as a weapon, portalnado and more. There are so many scenes that doubles the gags and humor throughout the biggest Sharknado movie yet (Snowboarding down the snowy hill as a Sharknado catches up, cutting sharks with roller blades while skating, a super hilarious car chase sequence while teleporting from one country to another, the Indiana Jones trap nods and the end of the world scene where humanity has been wiped out by the Sharknadoes from across the globe which leaves with only Fin Shepard as the lone survivor that is a nod to Avengers: Infinity War Part 1's ending). The CGI effects are all over the place not only sharks but more green screen effects, dialogue is pure Swiss cheese, the wacky tone has spread everywhere from one scene to the next and the big surprise for me is that Sharknado 5 has more emotional depth to toy with our characters and minds. The acting as always is decent, Ian Ziering and Tara Reid deliver great performances for the fifth time as Fin and April Shepard, Cassie Scerbo is more gorgeous than before while her performance is just as fun as the two leads and the rest are great in their own right. Director Anthony C. Ferrante and his screenwriting partner Thunder Levin delivers a fifth charm in this long running ridiculously so bad its good Syfy franchise as they placed the stakes into bigger directions that goes along way up until it reaches the highest peak while being able to keep its toes straight and not make a mistake. Overall Sharknado 5: Global Swarming is the biggest and wackiest film in the Sharknado franchise that increases the scale while avoiding the long trip down the hill. This film gets an 8.7/10. I would give this a better title and call it Sharknado: Infinity Swarming.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    May 22, 2018

So, here we are, again, with another Sharknado movie in our hands. It's the franchise that will never end, even though SyFy has confirmed that the sixth installment of the franchise (airing this year, I assume) will be the last one. You know the sixth one isn't gonna be the last Sharknado, not by a long shot. It might be the last one for the foreseeable future, but I think, eventually, SyFy (and The Asylum) will find a way to justify one more movie. It's an easy ratings grab, honestly. Here's the thing about Sharknado, and this is something that not many other TV movies have (if there are any others out there with this one's infamy) and that is it that it is more a social experience more than anything else. I imagine that social media interaction is a big thing with this movie. I DVR'd one of the Sharknados, may have been the third one, and social media was a big part every time they went to a commercial break and every time they came back to the movie. I've watched the rest of them on Netflix, so I wouldn't know. But it's rare, to have a TV movie that's best enjoyed actually watching it live, with a group of like-minded individuals on social media, all of whom tweet about the stupid shit they see in the movie. The only thing that really compares to that is live sports. Nobody DVRs sports because, because they already know the result by the time they get around to watching the game, so its value diminishes. I'm not saying Sharknado, as a franchise, is like that, but it's a comparable in a way. Having said that, this is the fifth movie in a series where you would have thought that they'd have run out of ideas to squeeze out yet another sequel. But they haven't, somehow. I've watched all of five of these movies now and I honestly have to wonder what went wrong in my life to where I've actually seen all of these movies and, most likely, I'm gonna watch the sixth one. I mean, by this point, I've seen FIVE of them, so one more ain't gonna kill me. Having said all of that, however, as far as this movie is concerned, and I may have said this for the previous installment, but this (in my opinion) is the best Sharknado yet. Look, I'm even giving this TWO FULL STARS. That's a new record for the Sharknado franchise, 3 of the movies have received a score of 1.5 stars (on RottenTomatoes, since I just posted the review for the fourth one on Letterboxd) and one has a 0.5 rating. Damn, this franchise is breaking new ground with its quality. Sarcasm aside, however, I've always made my feelings on the franchise very clear. I've never liked this purposely bad movie approach. The reason for that is, the fact that they're in on the joke sort of diminishes that joke. Its self-awareness, to some people, might be part of its charm but, to me, it's also its worst aspect. Again, if the movies were made in earnest and they were just terrible movies, then I could get more into it. The fact that they're so self-aware means that they're constantly trying to find ways to out-terrible themselves. With that said, however, I do think they do a good enough job at making this the most terribly entertaining movie of the bunch. I don't really know what it is about this movie, versus the other ones that makes it better. I guess I liked the "tighter" approach to the story. What I mean by that is that there seems to be a clearer goal in sight than just getting rid of whatever variation of the sharknado they can come up with in this installment. The story is about Gil (Fin and April's son) getting stuck in this vortex that, somehow, teleport our heroes to different parts of the world when they go through it. The film is about rescuing Gil, while also, again, trying to get rid of this vortex that's, seemingly, creating countless sharknados all around the world. I don't even know why I'm trying to explain this movie's narrative. All you need to know is that some crazy and stupid shit happens, Fin is a one-liner machine and, I'll be honest, they definitely got some laughs out of me. I can't really remember many of them, to be fair (and I just finished this movie about an hour ago). One of my favorite lines has to be Fin, upon meeting the Pope (Fabio), saying 'Forgive me father, for I am Fin'. It's such a fucking stupid line, but it made me laugh and there's a few more of them here. This vortex takes Fin and his buddies all over the world, where they proceed to cause unprecedented amounts of destruction to these countries' national landmarks. They straighten the Leaning Tower of Pisa, they destroy Stonehenge, they destroy the pyramid in Egypt, the Christ the Redeemer in Brazil gets swept up in the vortex. I could go on and on and on. And, of course, there's a bunch of celebrity cameos. I guess my least favorite part of the movie is the stereotypical jokes associated with each country they go to. The Australian newscasters quote Men At Work's Down Under because, you know, they're Australian. One of the Italian citizens, before getting killed, says Mamma mia! They mention the formation of Sharkzilla while they're in Japan. And so and so forth and it's so lazy. The fact of the matter is that, for this franchise, this has some of the more inspired bits of the entire film. So this reliance on stereotypes for each country is stupid. But, moving on to the positives, I guess I also like the fact that, for the first time in franchise history, our heroes are actually on the losing end. Fin doesn't save the world just in the nick of time. Of course, this is done to justify another sequel (which has time travelling), but at least it's something different than what we're accustomed to with this franchise or, really, most major franchises. I gotta give them props when they're deserved. That's not to say that there's much improvement in the actual quality of the movie. This is still, technically speaking, a terrible movie. It's just a better terrible movie than the previous installments, if that makes one lick of sense. The acting is still shit, purposely so, though Cassie Scerbo has some surprisingly solid scenes, the dialogue is cringe-worthy (again, by design) and the special effects are horrible. Actually, though, the special effects are a marginally better. And, really, that's what I can say about this movie. The improvements are definitely there, I can't deny them, but they're marginal and incremental at best. It's not like this is all of a sudden incredible, no, and these movies will never be incredible, but it's just that, out of all of them, this is the most watchable one. I really don't have much else to say about this. It's surprisingly fine for a Sharknado movie. Not good, but I got through it just fine and it, actually, made me legit laugh in some scenes. If you can't stand these movies then this, obviously, won't change your opinion and, at this point, nothing will. But, if you're a fan, this is more of the same (except crazier) and that's just what you all want, don't you? I can recommend this for those people, everyone else need not apply.