Shattered Glass Reviews

• Feb 03, 2019

Takes about half an hour to truly get intriguing. It's interesting to say the least with solid performances all around, even if the subject matter isn't anything fascinating. The beginning to the end of Glass's exposed fabricating and inevitable downfall are the highlights of the film.

• Nov 24, 2018

Stellar performance by peter saarsgard. Clumsy performance by Christiansen as the whiny sociopath

• Aug 26, 2018

Screenwriter Billy Ray's first directorial effort recounts the rise and fall of one of journalism's most promising up-and-comers, Stephen Glass, a New Republic writer who knowingly fabricated more than half of his works while at the noted news magazine. Spearheaded primarily by what I've come to believe is far and away Hayden Christensen's best performance, "Shattered Glass" is a mostly fascinating glimpse into one of journalism's most jaw-dropping true stories, and the manner in which Ray relates and frames it is nothing short of the epitome of the cinematic long con -- holding the audience just within the realm of interest long enough to keep them around for when things really start to get amazing. And the final act is most definitely something of note.

• May 20, 2018

As I write this, Shattered Glass is playing on HBO. This true story is based on the career of an ambitious young journalist who worked for The New Republic magazine. In this time of "fake news," this story is about a genuine fake news reporter. Stephen Glass fabricated stories and populated his stories with fake sources. He found a chink in the armor of fact-checking and he exploited it until he was caught. This movie is a sobering reminder of the levels of deceit that an immoral individual will descend in the name of fame, fortune, or other allurements.

• Feb 19, 2018

The title "Shattered Glass" refers to young journalist Stephen Glass (Hayden Christenson) with the movie adapted from an article from Buzz Bissinger from actual events regarding publish articles from a somewhat popular news magazine called "The New Republic"

• Jan 27, 2018

"Shattered Glass" is the only glass anyone would want to step on. A viewer is bound to fall in love with this movie if they happen to be a journalist, love to write, or just love to see someone in trouble. The movie is based on true events and revolves around a very young man that gets himself into quite a mess. The director (Billy Ray) chose to base the plot on real events. Other than this movie, Ray has directed several other films many may know including "The Hunger Games", "Hart's War" and "Suspect Hero". Viewers may recognize some of the actors and actresses in the film. Chloë Sevigny plays one of Steven's close friends at the office. She has played a role in shows such as, "American Horror Story" or "Portlandia" and more. Steve Zahn, another actor in the movie has been in many recognizable shows and movies as well including, the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series, "Dallas Buyers Club", "Daddy Day Care", "Management" etc. Other stars that viewers may know make appearances throughout the movie so keep an eye out. The main character, Stephen Glass (Hayden Christensen) is a young and spirited journalist for The New Republic. He dreams of becoming recognized for his news stories and he'll do anything for that attention... even if that means twisting the truth. Life is going fantastic for this young journalist pursuing his dreams. Everything changes when his beloved editor, Michael Kelly (Hank Azaria) is fired and the new editor, Charles Lane (Peter Sarsgaard) questions Steven's credibility. Life gets tougher for Glass as he's always thought of himself as a likeable person. Will Steven get away with a few lies, ruin his career... which will ruin his life, or will he end up somewhere in between? Will sorry be enough everytime? I personally enjoyed Hayden Christensen's role in the movie. Although some might not consider him to be a real Steven Glass look alike, he's definitely got an unexpected personality. It's hard to look away from the screen when you see him start to get into trouble and it's definitely reasonable for some characters to not get mad at him. He throws out the puppy eyes look whenever he gets in trouble. Some fall for his charming looks and sweet personality and others, well, not so much. The movie is very fast paced and engaging. Some parts of the movie are very literal and give a reality show feel like a cameraman following the Kardashian sisters around their mansion. But other parts of the film, (especially the end half) switch up and we can feel Steven's emotions and guilt. We can cringe at the uncomfortable and tense scenes between Lane and Glass. The movie leaves us with an almost every on the edge feeling after watching the abstract ending. As soon as the film ended I was eager to look up the story of Steven Glass (real), and although the internet doesn't have an endless pit of Glass to fall into, I still found some interesting pictures and articles relating to the Story of Steven Glass. I recommend searching this after watching the film because it added to the film for me, it answered some questions I had, left some questions unanswered which made my curiosity flow. This is the only time broken glass isn't so dangerous, quite enticing even. See the film as soon as possible, it is a must watch.

• Dec 12, 2017

Great movie. It features compelling storytelling and recreations of both the world of journalism and Stephen Glass’ story with intelligent writing and great performances from its cast, especially Sarsgaard and Christensen.

• Nov 03, 2017

A piece of history with a bang !

A piece of history with a bang !

• Jul 23, 2017

This story reminds me of the New York Times writer who was also a fabricator. Probably the best thing Christensen ever did, with everyone in the film giving superior performances and they are an excellent cast with a really good script to let them show their acting chops. Good effort by all.

• Apr 02, 2017

Fascinating true story about fake news.

Fascinating true story about fake news.