Shaun of the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaun of the Dead Reviews

Page 1 of 1998
August 6, 2017
'Shaun of The Dead' is a thoroughly fun zombie movie. The never-ending wit and satire are what makes it work so perfectly. The awesome pair, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost sweetened the entire deal. I have yet to watch 'Zombieland' so I think maybe 'Cockney vs Zombies' is the only one that is on par with this.
August 6, 2017
A funny and entertaining zombie movie that makes the movie a classic comedy film.
August 2, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal funny hilarious British action packed zombie apocalypse movie starring Simon pegg and the other guy that was in hot fuzz and another movie directed by Edgar right. I wasn't a big fan of hot fuzz, the second movie in this trilogy but Shaun of the dead is phenomenal and hilarious, hysterical even and I rarely use that word. I would watch this movie again and I like the characters and their chemistry between all of them is great.
August 2, 2017
One of the best zombie movies of all time! Edgar Wright's incredible direction combined with wonderful performances from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost leads to an amazing movie that I could watch over and over again
July 29, 2017
Hilarious! One of the best comedy movies I've ever seen. Flawless direction, montage and excellent performances by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Edgar Wright deserves his place as one of Hollywood's best directors
July 19, 2017
Frightful and amusing film. The style of directing is so unique here and the writing is very clever. It might be as comedic as a zombie movie may ever get and for that reason the originality shows. I enjoyed enough and think its a more than decent movie. Its great fun to watch as long as exaggerated violence/gore (that's really all just too comedic to actually be freaked out in my opinion) doesn't bother you.
½ July 16, 2017
It is a funny take on the zombie genre. It doesn't take itself super serious, and it has a unique and great story.
July 15, 2017
The humor is right, the action is right, and the overall pacing, writing, and directing is just great.
July 15, 2017
A cult classic that marries cold, deadpan British humor with horror thrills reminiscent of the zombie classics it pays beautiful homage to.

This isn't the movie that introduced me to the brilliance of Edgar Wright (I have "Hot Fuzz" to thank for that), but "Shaun of the Dead" certainly cemented him in my mind as a solid artist to watch for.

Wright comes from a primo school of directors: the Tarantino's, the Kevin Smith's, the Guy Ritchie's; guys with a distinct voice and disctinct stories to tell.

"Shaun of the Dead" plays to all of Wright's strengths as a storyteller: quirky yet relatable characters, a pension for stylized violence, and a hysterical script that never stops being entertaining.
July 11, 2017
Perfect balance of comedy and horror.
July 6, 2017
In terms of tone, this film is perfect. Right from the opening couple seconds we know exactly how it's going to feel throughout. The world and characters are fully realized, and the blending of comedy and horror is seemless. The writing is witty, while never feeling pretentious, and the jokes are often quite silly, but somehow stay smart. The performances are all great, with Simon Pegg giving one of his best to date, and Edgar Wright's visual and editing styles are very present and excellent. They aren't as fleshed out as they are in "Baby Driver" or "Scott Pilgrim," but that's expected with this being his first film. There's a part of me that still wishes that direct sequel was made, but I also think that this is a very complete story.
July 4, 2017
This is easily one of my all time favourite comedies and is the start of not only one of the best careers from a director/writer in the form of Edgar Wright but also the start to a solid trilogy of comedy films. The cast is great, the horror element is perfectly done with the practical effects being gory and satisfying, the soundtrack/score is solid, the plot is frenetic and fast paced while being engrossing but it is the script and the comic timing of the actors that seals how great this film truly is.
July 1, 2017
What happens when you take Dawn of the Dead, and add dry British humor? You get Shaun of the Dead, a funny, witty, breakthrough film by the genius Edgar Wright. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are a pair of comedic geniuses that both are funny to watch. Backed by a stellar supporting cast of people, Shaun of the Dead is film that you cannot resist watching over and over again, and quoting its witty funny dialogue as well. Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost, are comedic geniuses to whom I will eagerly await on anything they make.
July 1, 2017
+ great satire on zombie movies; witty humour; comedic parts well intrinsic in the plot
- second half less engaging; predictable (though it may be part of the satire part)
June 29, 2017
I've definitely seen this before, at least twice, but I either fell asleep during, or just don't remember much about it. This time I watched it, I know there was some stuff I either hadn't seen, or just didn't remember. Anyway, I don't have much to say. I didn't find it hilarious, it wasn't too scary, and there weren't enough zombies or zombie killing! But, it's still decent due to good performances, and I think I may have enjoyed how real the world and people seemed, especially before the zombies happened. This has similarities to the rest of the "Cornetto trilogy", especially The World's End, and I can definitely tell this is Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg. I've only seen Hot Fuzz and The World's End once (maybe The World's End twice), but I remember hating those, so this is my favorite of the "Cornetto trilogy." As far as Edgar Wright's work, this isn't nearly as good as my favorite, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, my favorite! As far as what Simon Pegg's written, he hasn't written much, and I've only seen the "Cornetto trilogy", Paul, and Star Trek Beyond. I'm not a fan of the Spaced show either. I think that's everything, and everything I can compare it to.!
½ June 29, 2017
Shaun of the Dead is a bloody good time with its clever wit, gory scares, and hilarious and likable characters from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. My favorite horror-comedy movie.
June 27, 2017
Not as incredible at Hot Fuzz, but still as hilarious and intense as Hot Fuzz.
½ June 26, 2017
Revived the Zombie genre almost single handedly!
½ June 24, 2017
Proving that the zombie horror genre is still relevant, Edgar Wright directs to perfection with comedy, scares, heart and fantastic performances from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.
June 21, 2017
One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Edgar Wright is a very special director
Page 1 of 1998