Shaun of the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaun of the Dead Reviews

Page 1 of 2000
April 11, 2018
A great take on a zombie film, it's fun to watch and I love how it pokes fun at the genre. The film has a lot going on in the background which is great to look out for in your second or third viewing.
½ April 10, 2018
possessed of an offbeat and forthright energy that charms the audience. but the plot is too weak and plodding, giving most the jokes little momentum to accomplish fruition. there is not even a special message or discernible theme. it's a quintessentially british viewing but nothing more: a hopeless and unvaried tangle.
April 7, 2018
The high expectations I had for this comedy were not entitely fulfilled. Yes, some good laughs, but they are a bit scarce. Nevertheless a solid zombie-com that put a continuous smile on my face.
March 24, 2018
This film is impeccably shot, as is the case with all Edgar Wright films. The montages are always used to great effect and are very distinctive. I always find that Wright's work is always very visually stylistic which I tend to find makes even those who aren't massively into film, still find it a very interesting watch.

The comedy is prevalent throughout and is always perfectly timed and delivered by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. In many films that try to appeal to the mature audience, while also including humour that could be appreciated by a younger viewer, tends to have tonal issues. Although, I feel that Shaun of the Dead has that balanced perfectly, providing some great laugh-out-loud moments, without taking away the mature feel of the film.

The screenplay is expertly written. I find in some films that a character will say something that to me, doesn't feel quite natural; which then takes me out of the experience and all of a sudden, the remainder of the film feels like a film. One aspect of filmmaking being an art is that you're able to captivate an audience and take them out of the current world they're in and take them into a completely different universe. For me, Shaun of the Dead never has a moment like this. The witty dialogue always flows naturally in each conversation, while still being able to still have great one-liners and moments, without sounding forced.

Another aspect that excels, present in all Wright films, is the use of editing and how it not only adds comedic value but conveys the narrative to the audience. The aforementioned montage sequences are very useful in getting a lot of information across without taking up much screen time at all. The way we transition from scene to scene is very effective, while being very obvious (by using extreme close-ups and exaggerated sound, such as the door of The Winchester) it is almost invisible for those who aren't specifically looking for it.

The only real issue that I have is that the third act is very much what I would expect to see in a generic monster film; a group of people holding down a building trying to fight of the monster. I feel, even though it is an adequate ending to the film, the expectation that the previous two acts had built up, I wanted to see a finale that was more unique and memorable. However, the only reason I have this issue is because of the sheer quality of the entire film, please don't misinterpret what i'm saying, the ending isn't bad at all, just not the direction I would have liked to have seen the film go in.

That being said, the film is amazing and was one of the first "horror-type" films I watched as a terrified nine year old, so this has always had a place in my heart.
March 23, 2018
The acting is great, it can be funny and gory at the same time.
March 21, 2018
Anche senza aver visto i film precedenti a cui si ispira, in questa pellicola si riesce ad intuire tutta la passione e la voglia di emergere dell'allora giovane regista britannico. Fin dai primi minuti si può notare uno stile fresco, nuovo e frizzante con cui vengono dirette sia le scene semplici che quelle più elaborate. La coppia di protagonisti mostra una sintonia fuori dal comune, con la quale ci stupiranno anche in future nuove collaborazioni: sono loro la colonna portante del film, sorretti da dialoghi realistici e divertenti. Purtroppo l'umorismo generale non mi ha del tutto convinto, anche se alcune scene riescono a farci sorridere, nel complesso l'ho trovato scontato e non del tutto maturo.
March 9, 2018
Funny till the very end
March 6, 2018
classic zombie movie that makes fun of the genre. it stands out as to this day it is one of the few recognizable comedy that is in the zombie genre
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 5
Age/Originality: 3
Total: 22/25
January 31, 2018
My all time favorite horror comedy that has perfect performances by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost who each are extremely funny. Edgar Wright is an incredible director and makes the first installment in the trilogy undeniably hilarious and memorable.
January 28, 2018
Shaun of the Dead is the rare case of a horror/comedy film that proves to be funny and smart, result of the auspicious collaboration between Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg.
January 27, 2018
God knows, if it's one thing cinema isn't short of it's zombie movies. Very few survive even a cursory watch. But this deserves to sit in the pantheon of great zombie movies with the Romero classics it keeps referencing. A film about zombies made by people who love the genre.
January 18, 2018
This is one of my favourite films of all time, Simon Pegg's titlelur character Shaun is one of the best examples of average block in an apocalyptic situation. This is because I've never seen another character blend so well into the situation that it is actually hilarious. Nick Frost's Ed is of course the classic drunk best friend who just can't let go of his mate and sure Ed is a bit of a prick at times but we all laughed at him at some point in the movie and we were all shocked when he did get bitten. Few movies have ever made me feel bad for the guy who is generally a massive cunt but this one movie made the cunt likeable. The story it self is superb and the fact that the comedy in this movie is already known to be some the best Britain has ever produced.
½ January 13, 2018
last orders, please..

Shaun Of The Dead

It's funny, to the point and exciting; Simon Pegg upbeats all the cult keys that were missing lately on semi comic movies.
January 8, 2018
One of british funniest horrors
January 3, 2018
Great British Horror Comedy, perfect balance of spoofs and scares. Writing is fantastic, every time you watch it you notice something else. Kind of reminds me of the foreshadowing used in Get Out, except a little less subtle.
December 21, 2017
Edgar Wright showcases a great satire that has you loving his style of directing, including exciting jump-cuts of boring actions, rhythmic direction, and every other aspect of this movie that makes this more than just a zombie movie.
December 17, 2017
The one thing Edgar Wright has never lacked is style and this movie is bursting with it. It is fast, clever, full of wit and charm, and never wastes a cut, a transition, or a line of dialogue. Wright and crew go on to prove that with a bit of originality and a lot ton of character, you can turn even the simplest of premises and the most tedious of genres into a horror/comedy masterpiece.
December 10, 2017
Edgar Wright and the fun and nosense start for his "cornetto trilogy". Perfect comedy to satire the genre zombie movies ... is right a zombie apocalypse and the beginnings of this wave in cinema, perfect !! British humor, good jokes, exempted directing and editing leaving the agile rhythm and fun, registered its cinema brand. Along with "Zombieland," the best movie that managed to take mood of extreme situations. Great ... great !! If u enjoys this whole thing of zombies and laughs at a totally british mood. This film is a good thing !! Cornetto trilogy starts perfectly!
½ November 25, 2017
A parody of zombie films, with a quite common plot, full of references to other movies (such as Romero's) and enjoyable dialogues with lots of british humor. Considered to be a modern cult film.
Page 1 of 2000