Shaun of the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaun of the Dead Reviews

Page 1 of 1996
January 14, 2017
I don't know if I can call this the best movie ever made, but it sure is one of my favorite.
½ January 11, 2017
Nota: 9.1/10 - 4.5/5
January 4, 2017
It's rare for a comedy-horror to be both funny and frightening, but Edgar Wright managed it in his wildly popular debut. Combining gore and guffaws, brains and braaaaaaains, Shaun of the Dead is a film so original that it formed the basis for the rom-zom-com genre and, by some stretch, thrust zombies into pop culture. Shaun of the Dead saw the British comedy team of Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright bring their talents for writing likable losers and innovative genre spins to the big screen. The results are hilarity and dismemberment with a dash of social expose thrown in as Shaun and his bro-mate Ed try to save those they love amidst a zombie apocalypse. Their plans are persistently terrible, their weapons of choice bizarrely selective, the comedy is dark as hell, their leadership is all messed up and those beers aren't going to drink themselves. America's shameless, heartless and humorless rip-offs have stripped the formula that made Shaun of the Dead so appealing, but all that does is solidify this sublimely effective contrast of tea-making and zombie mayhem as a certified slice of fried gold.
December 28, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: My favourite things in the world are intellegent pieces of art that just flatout refuse to take themselves seriously. 'Shaun of the Dead' is definitely one of those things, as first and foremost it's one hell of a quirky, self-aware and satyrical take on the zombie apocalypse that will have you grinning from ear to ear from start to finish. The humour is very smart, but what takes this film up a level is the intellegence of everything else. Yes the genious who is Edgar Wright not only packs this film with plenty of inventive action and masterfully-built tension, he also deals with some great ideas in a brilliantly unique way; visually, through the tight script, as well as with two great characters who are protrayed extremelly well by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. In the end, this could have been a hilarious satire on it's own, but because of how clever it is, it's something far more. You could easily go as far as saying it's a satire of humanity itself.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Like any good artist, Wright does take his madness a little too far at times. This is particularly the case in that lengthly third act...
VERDICT: A film that could probably stand on it's own as a satire, or as a serious zombie drama; 'Shuan of the Dead' is a great movie in more ways than one.
December 21, 2016
A new take on the classic zombie horror. Plenty of laughs and brilliant performances to go with them.
½ December 8, 2016
Good fun to see again
December 3, 2016
A cult classic that marries cold, deadpan British humor with horror thrills reminiscent of the zombie classics it pays beautiful homage to.

This isn't the movie that introduced me to the brilliance of Edgar Wright (I have "Hot Fuzz" to thank for that), but "Shaun of the Dead" certainly cemented him in my mind as a solid artist to watch for.

Wright comes from a primo school of directors: the Tarantino's, the Kevin Smith's, the Guy Ritchie's; guys with a distinct voice and disctinct stories to tell, and this may be his best work to date.

"Shaun of the Dead" plays to all of Wright's strengths as a storyteller: quirky yet relatable characters, a pension for stylized violence, and a hysterical script that never stops being entertaining.
November 17, 2016
One of the funniest horror-comedies out there, bringing in the laughs and intensity. It's truly one of Edgar Wright's best films.
November 12, 2016
Who would've known 2 unknown english blokes in 05 could make a zombie film better than most of the subgenre's directors with a touch of dark comedy and payin homage to the great G.A.Romero at the same time. Saw this in the theater. Its 1 of my classics!
November 1, 2016
talk talk talk boring boring boring...
October 23, 2016
One of the best (if not, the best) horror comedies of all time
October 22, 2016
Simply one of the best horror comedies ever made: Shaun of the Dead balances just enough gore and minimal dose of fear, a heartfelt coming-of-age story (with a captivating lead performance by Pegg) and perfectly kinetic, precise British humour thanks to exceptionally good writing, excruciating attention to detail while never losing mind of the big picture, and Edgar Wright's signature style of visual comedy that never takes a single break.
October 15, 2016
A brilliant horror comedy which only the talented Edgar Wright could pull off! If you're a fan of zombies, then I highly recommend this one!
September 22, 2016
Very comedic and actually makes you laugh. Despite, ya know, ZOMBIES, the scenarios and decisions played out are actually quite realistic. However, no matter how hard it tried, Shaun of the Dead could not completely cover up a tackiness that affected it's overall feeling of a "different" zombie movie.
½ September 19, 2016
Sometimes a director's style can overtake the story so much that the film suffers for it, and that was the case with the more recent The World's End, in my opinion. But Shaun of the Dead is just too dang fun and filled with clichť bending humor that Wright's style proves to be the best thing about this Horror-Comedy.

The first of the Cornetto or "Three Flavor's" trilogy focuses on a world in the midst of a zombie outbreak, and two loser friends who don't really do anything with their lives. Buddies Simon Pegg and Nick Frost play the duo, and brilliantly so. I much preferred their bro-mance to the romance between Pegg and Kate Ashfield, who plays his girlfriend Liz.

The enjoyment here is clearly with the fact that if a zombie outbreak ever did happen, I would act exactly how these characters did. I don't watch the news and rarely care to people watch when running to the store, so I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't realize there was a Zombie-apocalypse going on either. Or even the gag where Pegg struggles to shoot a shotgun. These are all real-life scenarios put into a horror film, and thus the comedy works better than expected.

It doesn't feature an Oscar winning script or world class actors, but it is loads of fun with a kicka** soundtrack paired with amazingly timed physical gags. Shaun of the Dead was and always will be a refreshing take on the Zombie sub-genre of horror.

+Soundtrack

+The laughs hit

+Relatable lead characters

7.9/10
½ September 18, 2016
Una excelente pel√¬≠cula, muy chistosa, los personajes son agradables, menos uno, menos mal lo manejan bien para que sea mejor. Muy divertida.
September 15, 2016
Shaun Of The Dead(2004)
Starring:Simon Pegg,Nick Frost,Kate Ashfield,Lucy Davis,DylanMoran,Peter Serafinowicz, Penelope Wilton,Steve Emerson,Nicola Cunningham,Reece Shearsmith,Bill Nighy,and Jessica Hynes
Directed By:Edgar Right
Review
A ROMANTIC COMEDY. WITH ZOMBIES.
Hello Kiddies your pal the crypt-critic here with a horror movie so great you'll die laughing. This is the beginning of my marathon with Edgar Wrights Cornetto trilogy but the end of Hoop-tober. Either way grab a pint and a cornetto.
There comes a day in every man's life when he has to get off the couch...and kill some zombies.When flesh-eating aombies are on the hunt for a bite to eat,it's up to slacker Shaun(Simon Pegg) and his best pal Ed(Nick Frost) to save their friends and family from becoming the next entree.
We all know about the classic zombie films like night of the living dead,dawn of the dead etc. But this is one of the few films to not only satirize zombie films but also somehow stay faithful to them,this British comedy stars Simon Pegg as a lazy absent-minded Shaun with his even more lazy and absent-minded friend Ed played by Nick Frost. When the zombie apocalypse happens however they turn into two unlikely heroes fighting zombies and get laid all at the same time.
Most are so familiar with this it's hard for me to talk about it. This film is a great start for a great trilogy and a lot of fun so grab a pint and a cornetto and enjoy Shaun of the dead for Halloween I give it a four out of five.
½ September 10, 2016
Simon and Nick together seems like a winning recipe no matter what genre it is.
September 6, 2016
One of the funniest, most entertaining zombie movies. Pegg and Frost are a great team.
September 3, 2016
An amazing film with lots of laughs, LOTS of gore and even some sad scenes in an innovative horror/action/comedy... DEFINITELY NOT FOR KIDS!

Also followed up by the hilarious 'Hot Fuzz'. Neither of these films are to be missed.
Overall a 9.75/10 or 5 stars