Shaun of the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaun of the Dead Reviews

Page 1 of 2000
September 19, 2018
Just another zombie movie - maybe a bit more witty than most, but don't waste your time if you're looking for more
½ September 7, 2018
I've ever met anyone who didn't like Shaun of the Dead.
½ August 14, 2018
I had heard this movie was really good. I generally do not like zombie flicks because of the predictability of the plotlines and all the horrible cable show spin offs. But this was a fun take on zombies (in the vein of Warm Bodies, which I also enjoyed). I like how they played up the personal lives while the apocalypse unfolded unnoticed in the background. Simon Pegg is always fun to watch of course.
On the down side, the ending kind of fell apart (pun intended), and while there were REALLY funny parts, the writing could have been beefed up a bit for stronger laughs. Maybe it is just British humor, who knows?
August 2, 2018
One of the best satires of Zombie films while also being a shot at the slacker within most of us who just doesn't want to live but also doesn't want to die.
½ August 1, 2018
Comedy zombie movies ROCK so much! XD A man decides to change his boring life by winning back his ex-girlfriend, reconciling with his mother and dealing with an entire community that has turned into dull zombies! Incredibly hilarious! A lot of evident foreshadowing that is incredibly well used. No zombie movie had ever made me laugh out loud since Zombieland. Every joke is so funny and it actually is a very smart plot. Looking forward to seeing more of the Cornetto trilogy!
July 13, 2018
Shaun of the Dead is hands down the best horror-comedy I've ever seen.
½ July 6, 2018
Before I go on, I would like to make a slight suggestion. Please, even if it's meant in a satirical way, don't use a white character saying the n-word as a gag. It's just disgusting, it's not right. I realize this was early 2000s, but even so, this is wrong. Edgar Wright, Nick Frost, please don't do this anymore.

Anyway, I've enjoyed the two Edgar Wright movies I've watched, so I thought I might get into the Cornetto trilogy. And while I don't usually like zombie movies, Shaun of the Dead I liked immensely. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are two very funny actors who I have admired for years, and to see them together is just a joy. Two morally corrupt(I'm just going to say that because Nick Frost's character, Ed, says the n-word so casually) characters are having crises of their own, when a zombie apocalypse strikes and they suddenly have to fend for themselves and their loved ones.

Shaun of the Dead contains so many funny jokes and creative gags, it's hard to keep track. The Batman vinyl album, the intentional car crash just to get the slick-looking car, Shaun and his girlfriend having a row, I enjoyed them all. Of course, Edgar Wright is great with visual jokes, and it astounded me how much precision and care obviously went into certain shots(Shaun's daily routine being repeated with identical camera movements). Even in the comical madness, the emotional moments really felt like they mattered.

I'd also like to compliment how this movie dealt with the "aftermaths" of a zombie apocalypse, and Wright didn't hesitate to make another dab at contemporary society. We see zombies being used as manual labor workers and objects of sport. We see humanity at their barest in the most satirical way. And that's really hard to find in any zombie material, so I give Shaun of the Dead kudos for that. I just love this movie. I just hope it didn't do the n-word.
June 11, 2018
I find Shaun of the Dead to be slightly overrated and maybe it's because of a case of early installment weirdness from Edgar Wright. Maybe it's because I'm more used to gunplay in a zombie movie and never found the use of melee weapons to be my thing. Yet I was never NOT entertained by Shaun of the Dead. With the humorous moments, the look at what the British would likely do in a zombie apocalypse according to Edgar Wright who's British so ha-ha, he can't be racist against Englishmen. The makeup effects for the zombies are quite good (I've been a sucker for makeup effects a lot recently) and it does a good job establishing the directorial traits Wright would become known for such as describing plans while the audience gets the visual look of this plan, the scene transitions and the movie becoming a full-on action film by the third act. Yeah, these are perhaps based off of what I saw in Ant-Man (which isn't a Wright film but still has some things that respect his vision for the character), Baby Driver and Scott Pilgrim but from the CinemaWins videos for the latter two, this seems to be his style as a director. Shaun of the Dead is a good, albeit overrated, start to the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy.
June 10, 2018
(82/100)
Edgar Wright has such a unique style to his films and he really understands comedy. Shaun of the Dead shares a lot of these specialities. The comedy is top-notch and the interactions between characters are really funny. It's unique in its cinematography too, long takes edited to the beat and so much more. Shaum of the Dead is a great big-screen directorial debut for Edgar Wright!
June 10, 2018
Really good and perfect
May 24, 2018
It can be funny and gory at the same time.
May 15, 2018
Best movie I watched as a kid
½ May 6, 2018
they should have gone with Yvonne
April 11, 2018
A great take on a zombie film, it's fun to watch and I love how it pokes fun at the genre. The film has a lot going on in the background which is great to look out for in your second or third viewing.
½ April 10, 2018
possessed of an offbeat and forthright energy that charms the audience. but the plot is too weak and plodding, giving most the jokes little momentum to accomplish fruition. there is not even a special message or discernible theme. it's a quintessentially british viewing but nothing more: a hopeless and unvaried tangle.
April 7, 2018
The high expectations I had for this comedy were not entitely fulfilled. Yes, some good laughs, but they are a bit scarce. Nevertheless a solid zombie-com that put a continuous smile on my face.
March 24, 2018
This film is impeccably shot, as is the case with all Edgar Wright films. The montages are always used to great effect and are very distinctive. I always find that Wright's work is always very visually stylistic which I tend to find makes even those who aren't massively into film, still find it a very interesting watch.

The comedy is prevalent throughout and is always perfectly timed and delivered by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. In many films that try to appeal to the mature audience, while also including humour that could be appreciated by a younger viewer, tends to have tonal issues. Although, I feel that Shaun of the Dead has that balanced perfectly, providing some great laugh-out-loud moments, without taking away the mature feel of the film.

The screenplay is expertly written. I find in some films that a character will say something that to me, doesn't feel quite natural; which then takes me out of the experience and all of a sudden, the remainder of the film feels like a film. One aspect of filmmaking being an art is that you're able to captivate an audience and take them out of the current world they're in and take them into a completely different universe. For me, Shaun of the Dead never has a moment like this. The witty dialogue always flows naturally in each conversation, while still being able to still have great one-liners and moments, without sounding forced.

Another aspect that excels, present in all Wright films, is the use of editing and how it not only adds comedic value but conveys the narrative to the audience. The aforementioned montage sequences are very useful in getting a lot of information across without taking up much screen time at all. The way we transition from scene to scene is very effective, while being very obvious (by using extreme close-ups and exaggerated sound, such as the door of The Winchester) it is almost invisible for those who aren't specifically looking for it.

The only real issue that I have is that the third act is very much what I would expect to see in a generic monster film; a group of people holding down a building trying to fight of the monster. I feel, even though it is an adequate ending to the film, the expectation that the previous two acts had built up, I wanted to see a finale that was more unique and memorable. However, the only reason I have this issue is because of the sheer quality of the entire film, please don't misinterpret what i'm saying, the ending isn't bad at all, just not the direction I would have liked to have seen the film go in.

That being said, the film is amazing and was one of the first "horror-type" films I watched as a terrified nine year old, so this has always had a place in my heart.
March 21, 2018
Anche senza aver visto i film precedenti a cui si ispira, in questa pellicola si riesce ad intuire tutta la passione e la voglia di emergere dell'allora giovane regista britannico. Fin dai primi minuti si può notare uno stile fresco, nuovo e frizzante con cui vengono dirette sia le scene semplici che quelle più elaborate. La coppia di protagonisti mostra una sintonia fuori dal comune, con la quale ci stupiranno anche in future nuove collaborazioni: sono loro la colonna portante del film, sorretti da dialoghi realistici e divertenti. Purtroppo l'umorismo generale non mi ha del tutto convinto, anche se alcune scene riescono a farci sorridere, nel complesso l'ho trovato scontato e non del tutto maturo.
March 9, 2018
Funny till the very end
March 6, 2018
classic zombie movie that makes fun of the genre. it stands out as to this day it is one of the few recognizable comedy that is in the zombie genre
Page 1 of 2000