She's the Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

She's the Man Reviews

½ October 17, 2017
This movie is an incompetent piece of lacking entertainment. The overall lack of quality and effort put into this effort is apparent from the lazy writing and atrocious acting. This movie is a shining example of why early 2,000 Rom Coms are an unfortunate piece of cinematic history which should be cast aside and forgotten as soon as possible. This movie is, in my opinion, is everything that was wrong with, "10 Things I Hate About You" a movie which I thought was definitely competent. But that movie had good acting, and an at least somewhat original plot. However, ripped from the unwilling hands of Shakespeare, this movie is based directly off of "The Twelfth Night". How sad that such a brilliant pioneer of theater should have his legacy live on through such a travesty of cinema. I might sound like a posh cinema snob, but honestly, I don't have high expectations. When I go to see a movie, I expect a certain criterion to be met in order for me to enjoy it. There must be at least sub par acting, a competent script, bearable music, and for a movie to know what it's doing (A comedy being funny, an action movie having action Etc.). This movie doesn't meet any of the criteria I have suggested a competent movie have. The acting is unfunny and lines are delivered poorly, the writing is general dull and not exciting, the music is what you'd expect from a movie that came from this time period, and it tries too hard to be a drama. Try not to choke with steaming handfuls of political commentary and feminism being forced down your throat; and that's coming from a liberal. It's predictable, uninteresting, and plain boring.
½ May 4, 2017
Amanda Bynes is completely unconvincing as a boy and her voice was ridiculous, but I liked the movie anyways. It was funny. (First and only full viewing - In my early twenties)
May 2, 2017
Thoroughly funny & entertaining (especially for football fans)! Amanda's facial expressions are hilarious & she, along with Channing, have a lovely chemistry.
½ March 30, 2017
A tween movie about chasing your dreams and your love interest - its as old as Hollywood itself, and the only update is the cast. It's not offensive and that's something.
March 15, 2017
I love Amanda Bines in this! The Eunice girl with braces is hilarious, I must say! I ended up watching this movie due to an iTunes deal after years of not seeing it. ??
February 28, 2017
I'm a sucker for "chick flick" comedies. So, of course I thought this movie was endearing and goofy. It's become one of my favorites to watch.

Apparently this film is based on the Shakespeare book "The Twelfth Night".
February 23, 2017
Really hilarious and it has such a smart plot twist, amazing act by amanda Bynes!
February 11, 2017
I always find it funny, but I also agree with the critic consensus. Most of the humor was predictable, and the plot line had alot of unconvicing parts. I'd watch it again for the laughs.
½ January 25, 2017
Not perfect, but cute and typical of Amanda Byne's teen chick flicks. Always liked her acting and was sad she went off the rails.
Good message for girls pursuing their dreams too.
November 18, 2016
A hilarious movie that makes people come to a realisation that people are still discriminating girls/woman in this day & age. Really enjoyed watching it as it had a really nice moral????
October 21, 2016
This movie is everything
October 19, 2016
Loved the movie. Amanda Bynes was great in it. Channing Tatum, need I say more in this movie.
September 28, 2016
Wow, this is like the most feminist movie I've seen in a long time, and it came out a decade ago! Based on Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night," Viola disguises herself as her twin brother Sebastian in order to play soccer at a rival school because her old school won't let her try out for the boys' soccer team after they cut the girls' team. The character updates are really quite clever, like with Malvolio being terrible Malcom's tarantula, Sebastian skipping school to chase his true bliss at a music festival, and the battle of the sexes plot is nicely balanced with transgressions and redemptions on all sides.

Amanda Bynes's "boy" mannerisms and 2000-era Justin Bieber wig are ridiculously bad, but she is still a committed physical comedienne. Lauren Ramsey as heartbroken Olivia is an earnest girl-next-door with bite, and I even found Channing all-over-your Tatum to be pretty sweet.
September 19, 2016
It's just laughable how formulaic this really is.
September 3, 2016
I absolutely love this movie, and I've seen it over 5 times. It's quirky, funny, and the meaning behind it is great. I highly recommend it!
August 26, 2016
All time favorite movie, been quoting it in my house since 2006.
August 18, 2016
Totally cute, despite some awful decisions in the text - the horrendous misuse of "Some are born great" being the worst choice, followed closely by losing the Toby/Maria relationship in favour of shaming someone with severe dental problems, and also combining Feste with Malvolio. There's some genuine heart in it nonetheless, some great laugh-out-loud moments, and a few superb Shakespearean in-jokes (like the fair being held in Stratford). Bynes takes a little getting used to but shines when juggling both genders - the contrast between them is stark and she uses this to great effect. Tatum and Ramsey are both charming, and it's great to see Hagerty and Cross on the big screen in hilarious roles. It's also fantastic to see Jones tapping his soccer expertise but it would have been even better to see him play.
½ March 31, 2016
i watchd this with my girlfriend but is crap real real crap
January 27, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie!!! Probably because I love the game of soccer but it also had a really cute storyline!
½ January 13, 2016
She's the Man is a loose adaptation of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. Somewhat entertaining despite being improbable.