Shootout at Lokhandwala - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shootout at Lokhandwala Reviews

½ November 17, 2015
It fell into that trap that a lot of docudramas do where it wasn't boring, but it could have been more interesting. At least it was up front at the beginning by stating that it was based around rumor, which is more than a lot of docudramas admit to usually.
½ July 30, 2015
In "Shootout at Lockandwala," Justice Dhingra(Amitabh Bachchan) would really like to know from Police Commander Shamsher Khan(Sanjay Dutt) what led to a violent shootout involving his elite unit in an apartment building in Mumbai.(He would also like to know why Shamsher did not arrest Maya(Vivek Oberoi) and his gang while they were singing and dancing.) For Shamsher, the moment of truth came when a trusted subordinate was brutally gunned down in the street. After which, he recruited Javed(Arbaaz Khan) and Kavi(Sunil Shetty) to be on his elite task force.

On the surface, "Shootout at Lockandwala" is an entertaining police procedural. Even more importantly is how it implies that rogue units like Shamsher's are little better than the gangs they are intent on stopping. That is before it goes 180 degrees in the opposite direction to say why such shoot first units may be necessary in order to cut crime.(The movie is 'based on true rumors.') Not only is such weak thinking based on shaky causation but it can also lead to civilian deaths and such intense blowback that would make the police department's job that much harder than before.
May 29, 2014
Vivek Oberoi is brilliant as Maya Bhai.
½ October 27, 2012
Taut and tense, SAL is the best crime movie ever made!
½ April 3, 2011
A maverick lawman chases Khalistani extremists while handpicked cops like Inspector Kaviraj Patil and Constable Javed Shaikh dare to engage trigger-happy gangsters in a residential locality of Mumbai. And, another maverick from the wrong side of the law, Maya, who along with the likes of psychotic Buwa, make extortion the buzzword in the early '90s, disobeying the big bhai of the underworld and fighting back a posse of policemen for six hours.

a good and well made movie.
½ September 1, 2010
I watched this one just out of curiosity to find out what's all the fuss about.Didn't liked the dramatic music in between the scenes,it sounded very pathetic.Other then that it's an okay movie.Haven't seen this much gory violence in any Bollywood movie that was new for me.Storyline is interesting.
½ July 19, 2010
The star cast is huge. The director is decent. The production house is creative. The claim is that it is based on true rumors. All these appeals to audiences, and I too was!

The story is based on so called true events that lead to a broad day light shootout in a residential area flat named Lokhandwala of Bombay; of underworld mafia by Bombay police lead by Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS). The movie is clearly divided into two halves. The first half showcases the emergences and development of all key characters and their past through several flashbacks and recollections. The second half is more engaging with the actual shoot-out taking place in the last 40 minutes.

The ATS squad is lead by Shamsher Khan (Sanjay Dutt) who selects several officers for the task (Suniel Shetty and Arbas Khan are the key two). The underworld mafia is remotely controlled by Dawood Ibrahim from Dubai through a small gang led by Maya Dolas (Viviek Oberio) of four other members (one of them is Tushshar Kapoor). The character of Lawyer Dhingra is played by Amitabh Bachchan who cross examines the ATS squad (that leads to several flashbacks) and finally wins the case for them.

As the movie is based on research the directors have tried to show all the sides of the story and the key one is of Shamsher Khan getting the tip off of the mafia hide out from Dawood or a local informer ? both the events are shown for the audience to judge the truth.

The movie is too loud and noisy with continuous action scenes, chases and gun-fire. Apart from that there are too many song and dance sequences that are specially made for the front benchers. The first half of the movie is boring, whereas the second half holds good attention. Three songs before interval are lousy and one song after the interval (Ganpat Chai La) is excellent ? music and choreography are good.

All the actors have performed well. Amitabh overacts a lot during cross examination. The movie belongs to Sanjay Dutt. He performs the role of Shamsher Khan to the hilt ? the personality, the emotions and the sway of his walk steals our heart. Daringly his counter part role has been performed brilliantly by Viviek Oberio, who puts his heart and soul into this black role of Maya Dolas. After Company, Viviek would be remembered again for this portrayal for a long time. Viviek is ably supported by Tushshar Kapoor who too has acted well.

There is too much of guns and violence. The camera angle is journalistic and at times jarring. The music is over the top and loud. The overall direction is not up to the mark. The Director ? Apoorva Lakhia could have done a wonderful job with this volcanic subject. But there are no second chances!

(Stars 5 out of 10)
May 10, 2010
I dont know what made me watch this one!
December 19, 2009
hmm...I can't beleive that I was watching hindi flick...
½ November 9, 2009
one of the few original bollywood gagsters movie. sanjay dutt and vivek obroy rocks in this movie!
½ November 4, 2009
Another nice movie based on true story of Maya dolas - the most dreaded hitman in Mumbai.

Direction of movie, acting by Sanjay dutt was excellent. I would not recommend kids to watch the movie. Very gruesome and chilling murders (especially when dolas crushes the head of guy with his foot. The victim was forced to bite stone stair when he was crushed with foot from above) and very ugly shoot out scene.
October 29, 2009
With: Nisreen Ben, Maa
Theatre: Regal, Mumbai
Seats: 8-10 - 8-12
September 26, 2009
this movie. it was my first true foray watching something with popular indian filmmaking conventions. the gangsters sing, there are about 15 main characters and the dramatic titular scene took almost 40 minutes to execute. definitely an experience.
½ February 27, 2009
Not the usual Bollywood fare -far more violent, an inevitable result of trying (and competantly so) to compete with Hollywood. At times gruesome, this film is certainly not for the faint-hearted. It featured my favourite actors: Sanjay Dutt and Amitabh Bachchan who were very good as usual. But I feel Vivek Oberoi in his portrayal of "Maya" deserves particular credit. He played his gangster character extremely well and while I usually dislike Tusshar Kapoor, I feel he tackled his serious role well. There were a couple of "item numbers" to lighten up this dark and gritty film. While none of the songs will go on to be memorable, the music was funky and the dancing edgy. The continuous violence made the movie seem a little long and mundane at times, but nevertheless the realism was interesting. It was certainly good enough to evoke in my non-Asian friend, an interest in Indian films.
February 19, 2009
i really wanna see this!
December 23, 2008
enjoyd this movie!! brutal n horrific!
½ October 20, 2008
awesome ... luved it. vivek did wonders as maya and so did all the others too. all in all a realy great movie.
½ October 2, 2008
as a worshipper of violent movies dis is 2 me a grt me............
½ September 1, 2008
glossy rendition of a very serious issue... anyways it got me interested in the real maya dolas...
August 9, 2008