Short Circuit 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Short Circuit 2 Reviews

½ January 7, 2017
I tend to keep watching this movie year after year. It was one of my favorites from my childhood and I still love it to this day. The critics hated it. Heck, even audiences generally didn't love it...but it was certainly everything I wanted it to be. Probably would be somewhere on my top 30 of all time list.
½ January 7, 2017
Funny, who doesn't love some cheesy Johnny 5 alive!
September 28, 2016
This movie is so much fun. I love Johnny 5. He's such a cinnamon roll. If you don't like this movie your inner child is dead and I feel sad for you.
½ May 20, 2016
Johnny 5 still has his moments, but Short Circuit 2 takes everything likeable about the first film, it increases its controversial material, and makes it nearly unwatchable
May 1, 2016
I think I preferred this to the original. It certainly had more character development and it was nice to see Johnny 5 show his more sinister side. Unsurprisingly this franchise is in the process of a remake.
April 26, 2016
Sequel to the 1986 hit comedy is more of the same minus the original cast. Stevens returns as the developer of number five but unfortunately the plot gives him nothing to do and he's all but gone off screen for fifty minutes.
½ April 23, 2016
Such a nostalgic blast! I love when Johnny 5 hangs out with the punks, and the cliche chase at the end set to "I need a hero". Used to get me pumped, and still brings me back to being a kid.
February 20, 2016
Pretty silly, but I laughed out loud a bunch of times. Annoyed that Steve Guttenberg wasn't in it though. Also, one part was rather disturbing. Some of it made me think of Home Alone 2. Overall, entertaining and not too bad for a sequel.
February 1, 2016
Dumber and worse than the first. But wow it got much darker, that was pretty memorable from childhood. Stupid 80's charming guilty pleasure.
October 1, 2015
Both the Short Circuit movies I know have their flaws, but I actually think 1 and 2 are pretty fun and silly at the same time. I actually enjoy them.
½ August 14, 2015
Entertaining in places but not a patch on the original
June 2, 2015
Lame childish and dated sequel to great movie
½ April 15, 2015
This is on par(almost) as far as the charm factor goes and that makes it a worthy watch sequel.
March 22, 2015
Neither Short circuit film is great, or even good for that matter, but the second feels slightly less bland than the first.
March 8, 2015
I prefer this one over the first!
½ March 8, 2015
Back in the days when you didn't get too many sequels (imagine that) we actually got this surprising follow up. Most of the original cast are now long gone as we focus on Fisher Stevens Indian character as he tries to eek out an existence in the big city (NY) selling toys of Number 5. Before you can say Number 5 is al...Number 5 returns for his next adventure, out of the sticks and into the Big Apple.

It would be very easy to assume this sequel would be a lazy cash grab, after all the big stars are gone and they have promoted the sidekick character of the first movie to lead role status. Well yes and no, yes this obviously came to ride the coattails of the original which means basically the same hijinks as before but set in a city environment. On the other hand they do expand on what came before and evolve Number 5's character pretty well, he now wears a red scarf you know. Now christened Johnny 5 (typical cool sounding 80's nickname), his metallic body has been modded and adorned with cool stickers and whatnot, he has more knowledge, he's a little more street smart and a little more human smart.

This time the plot revolves around Johnny 5 helping Fisher Stevens character build a small army of Johnny 5 toys to sell to this big company. They are doing this inside a warehouse which also just happens to be in use by some crooks trying to tunnel their way into the nearby bank. Of course one main angle of the story is once again seeing Johnny 5 interact with folk in the city, he's not suppose to get out of the warehouse for his own safety but naturally does and goes on an input rampage. Now even though I'm very sure many of you can guess the type of antics Johnny 5 gets up to, its still actually very amusing and entertaining. 5 goes up against stereotypical 80's street hustlers and beats them at their own game, he reads a gazillion books in the local book store, goes for a bit of hang gliding, goes to church, gets arrested, wears some human attire and helps out some stereotypical 80's street trash in pinching car stereos. A nice slice of easy going predictable hokem much in the same realm as Mick Dundee's adventures in Nu Yawk.

The whole sequence where 5 gets manipulated by the street gang sums up the whole theme of the plot really. Its all about poor little Number 5 getting taken for a ride, he's out of his depth and his innocent good nature is exploited by various slime-balls. The entire main plot is actually a twist on this notion as you discover towards the end, didn't see it coming gotta admit. This is where this sequel does improve on the original in my opinion, it takes 5 out of the relatively safe countryside and plops him in the concrete jungle, a deceptively dangerous environment for any outsider/foreigner. 5 isn't the young child he used to be but more of a brash teen, over confident, eager, hopeful and alas still very gullible, the city setting really brings out those emotions with great effect.

The most heart crushing moment of course being the sequence where Johnny 5 is beaten half to death by the bank robbers. Now this one scene is still easily one of the most heart wrenching moments in cinematic history, even E.T. has a tough time beating this. After 5 realises he has been tricked by a very close friend (throughout the whole film) he makes a run for it. The henchmen go after him, eventually catch him and attack 5 with iron crowbars smashing him to pieces before your eyes! Battery fluid sprays like blood, they rip his arm off, his caterpillar tracks are destroyed, metal debris goes flying and in the most shocking moment for any child...they batter 5's head destroying one eye completely. I think the agonising sound of Tim Blaney's (5's voice) cries for help in this sequence really make for an emotionally scarring scene. Johnny 5 pleads for them to stop as he is slowly destroyed, begging them not to disassemble him. What you see will ruin your day even now, hell it almost ruins the movie its so distressing! as a child it ended you're world.

Towards the finale things start to get a bit silly admittedly as the main bad guy goes on the run. Johnny 5 manages to repair himself with a little help but he's pissed and out for revenge, so to get that point across he tacks a load of extra metal junk onto himself giving a heavy metal punk orientated appearance complete with eye patch and DIY mohawk. We then get a sequence where 5 captures the henchmen who wrecked him and proceeds to give them a good beat down, well a goofy childish cartoonish beat down. We then get this quite farcical chase sequence between Johnny 5 and the main villain in a speed boat...oh yes. 5 manages to eventually catch up to the very fast speed boat (beats me) and captures the main villain in an impossibly hilarious way. All this accompanied to the tune of 'I Need a Hero' by Bonnie Tyler I might add.

To top it all 5 even gets the C3PO treatment (errr copy much?) right at the end when he appears to have been fixed up in gold plated metal from top to bottom. This makes him look like a large trophy or a large piece of bling which would require sunglasses to look at, oh and he becomes an official US citizen too...hey who am I to judge huh.

Its all so chucklesome because Johnny 5 literately moves at a snails pace and speedy agility is not on the cards. In reality the bad guy would of gotten away by a good country mile and 5 would be trundling along like an OAP in a mobility scooter. But we overlook all that, all the obvious flaws, plot holes, impossibilities, unbelievable coincidences etc...after all this is still a movie for kids just like the first film. I do think this sequel is actually better than the first mainly because it offers more thrills and spills, more laughs and a much greater scope with clearly better production values. Sure its more preposterous and hokey with extra layers of good-natured schmaltz for good measure, despite missing Sheedy and Guttenberg, but you simply can't fail to love little Johnny 5 and his zest for life.
March 1, 2015
The comical heart and mind has been upgraded to be funnier and a really good sequel that was about to perform better than its predecessor, but until the serious turn around the climax. (A-)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
January 25, 2015
Although some can find the robot "Johnny 5" annoying, I find him enjoyable. The problem is that the humor in this movie does not hold up and most of the jokes fall pretty flat.
January 24, 2015
Short Circuit 2 does retain some of the same goofiness as the first film, but feels a bit inconsistent. Ben Jahvi returns with no sign of Guttenberg and the other female, as he strikes a deal to make toy versions of Johnny 5, and is aided by Johnny 5 who is sent by Guttenberg (who somehow knew Ben was in trouble and needed him according to the note sent). Johnny 5 gets naive and explores urban Philadelphia (clearly Toronto) and is fooled into a bank vault break-in scheme.

The lack of Guttenberg and the girl is unfortunate as Ben goes from side character to main character in this film, meaning more screen time for his goofy but ridiculously stereotypical Indian mannerisms. While Johnny 5's quest to learn more and be human is explored with some difficulty that furthers his character, we do also get a lot of him shooting out loads of movie one-liners and pop culture references which seem oddly more irritating here than they did in the first film. He still has a child-like behaviour that seems to appeal to children who see this film, yet the film otherwise feels awfully PG-13 with some foul language (it's PG). Not that I mind as an older viewer but I mention it for the sake of the film's target audience. It's an 80's thing, I guess.

I recommend Short Circuit 2 if you just want to see more of Johnny 5 in action with his goofiness and gadgets, and to be fair the urban setting is more interesting grounds for Johnny 5 to be in as it challenges who he is and to face acceptance into society. That's perhaps why some people like this one better than the first. I do however stand by the fact that the human plot is a bit weaker and and the whole bank robbery deal is cliche, making the film weaker overall, but the film holds enough in action and silliness to be a follow-up worth watching.
December 6, 2014
Not perfect or anything great, but I did very much enjoy it.