Sicko - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sicko Reviews

½ October 6, 2016
Sicko is an eye opening film, because either you are American and you get to learn about the health care systems of Great Britain, France, and Cuba, or you are not American and get to see how bonkers it really is. I learned a thing or two from this, and it was mind boggling how awesome some European health care systems are. Michael Moore films usually have one over the top moment, and in this one it'd have to be the scene where he's on the boat with the people and he uses a megaphone to try and contact Guantanamo Bay prison. Either way, its a solid and informative movie.
½ October 4, 2016
I like Michael Moore and his movies. This one came out after his most famous, most-watched, most commercially successful Fahrenheit 9/11. So it seems like it has the slickest production values and is put together especially well. And knowing the extreme media attention, seems he keeps the manipulation of truth/timelines at the minimum, to avoid getting attacked for it later. The scene that stays with me the most after all these years contains the line, "Is this really how we treat those in need? I thought we as a society were better than this". I can always re-watch the Awful Truth (tv show) segment this was based on where he held a mock funeral for a dying man denied by his insurance company. It's probably the most powerful minutes of television....ever. God bless Michael Moore.
September 27, 2016
Can make you sick, but aware
September 13, 2016
An interesting film for its time. Things have changed a little since, but it still reflects the sad state of American health care. It does drag a little though. At over two hours it is too long for a documentary. (First and only viewing - 7/14/2016)
½ August 27, 2016
Your opinion on the topic will depend heavily on your stance on healthcare in the United States. Nevertheless, Sicko is still a well-made, funny and insightful look into a controversial system.
July 19, 2016
Michael Moore delivers in his usual fashion.
July 10, 2016
Sick of this sick healthcare system that definitely doesn't need to be this way.
½ July 8, 2016
Scary as hell, because I'm 65 and in the George W. Bush invented "doughnut hole" which means I can't afford my $1,100 prescription, I'm paying over 570.00 for health insurance every month, our property was just re-assessed and it already had increased $500 BEFORE re-assessment, and we are both retired on fixed incomes. Yes, "golden Years" are anything but...thanks to the Republicans who are so money hungry, and some of the Democrats are no better. Why do we put up with this? Because the average IQ in the US is 97 and falling, so that the working class is too unintelligent to see that the Republicans just don't give a damn about them and just want to bleed them dry. Greedy American corporations have done away with unions by taking our factory jobs overseas where it is cheaper for the corporations and the US working class is left with the service industry--MacDonalds, Walmart, or serving tables at Olive Garden, while the corporation, AMA, health insurance companies hospitals, and pharmaceutical companies bleed us dry, then put us out on the street, still sick and penniless after they have taken all that people worked a lifetime for. I'm just about ready to move to Canada! Where I could get my $1,100 prescription for $5.00.
½ June 16, 2016
Near-perfect documentary sure to tickle your emotional bone as much as it tickles your funny bone.
½ May 27, 2016
Though he criticizes America multiply times, Sicko is still interesting on Crap Health Care in the 2000s America era......still worth checking out
April 22, 2016
Certainly not Moore's best work- an important issue indeed but 'Sicko' doesn't really offer a lot of new insight. Still, it's funny and entertaining enough, and won't disappoint fans of Moore's other works.

Moore has often been accused of twisting the facts but in this case he just seems to avoid trying to present any particularly controversial ones at all. Obviously, there is much to dislike about America's healthcare system (though much has also changed since this film's release) but 'Sicko' provides a fairly shallow look at the issues in question. For example, he interviews a bunch of Europeans so that Americans can hear from others how unlucky they are. You can't help but feel like that's a little lazy.

Still, I find Moore entertaining and enjoy his stunts, some of which are on show here and this is certainly the kind of topic that one would expect Moore to make a film about.

The film isn't as relevant as it once was (heck, certain elements of it were out of date by the time the film even came out) but this isn't one to watch to learn facts. it's really just an entertaining look at the, completely flabbergasting, disparities between different Nation's approaches to healthcare.
½ April 12, 2016
False info, an annoying host, and socialist propaganda makes this a tortuous sit for anyone not on the left side of politics.
February 17, 2016
Funny documentary/satire on the sorry state of American healthcare with a few foreign examples thrown in to show that it need not be this bad.
½ February 14, 2016
Sim, Michael Moore às vezes se mostra extremamente auto-indulgente, mas a força de suas denúncias e os argumentos - não: provas - são gigantes o suficiente.
February 7, 2016
Extremely well made documentary that provides background, gives data, and accompanies both with devastating real accounts, although the movie sometimes leans to a more biased side.
½ January 4, 2016
Joseph Goebbels famously said, "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." So it came as no surprise that the greatest socialist propagandist of our generation, Michael Moore, would continue to tell the "Big Lie" that we would all be better off if we just gave up "evil" capitalism for good and drank the communist Kool-aid. No, "Sicko" is not a biopic about the infamous director (although his book "Stupid White Men" is autobiographical), but a man that continues to manipulate and distort the facts while attempting to pass himself off as a legitimate documentarian is truly sick indeed. NOTE: In my previous reviews of Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine, you can read about how Moore exploited an amputee (who fully supported the President ironically), resorted to using a phony mock-up of a newspaper article (with the wrong date!) and how he selectively edited a speech by Charlton Heston (who was well-known for his work as a civil rights activist) to make him appear racist and insensitive. In the beginning of Sicko, we are promised by Mr. Moore that the film wouldn't be about the approximately 50 million Americans without health care (yet another lie) and then he proceeded to go around to various countries and attempt to show how much better they have it than Americans with socialized medicine. To be fair, I did see one thing in this film that I agreed with. In the final credits, Moore included a wonderful quote by Alexis de Tocqueville: "The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults." And as if to add more credibility to these words, Mr. Moore reminds us that Tocqueville was French. Of course, the truly enlightened in every country understand that the way to repair faults is with less government intervention in our lives not more. And since Mr. Moore is shameless when it comes to selling out to the French (ostensibly to win another Palme d'Or) and quoting dead Frenchmen, let me use this opportunity to quote another dead Frenchman Frà (C)dà (C)ric Bastiat: "Who would not like to see all these benefits flow forth upon the world from the law, as from an inexhaustible source? But is it possible? Where does (the government) draw those resources that it is urged to dispense by way of benefits to individuals? Is it not from the individuals themselves? How, then, can these resources be increased by passing through the hands of a parasitical and voracious intermediary?" Bastiat also popularized what is known as the Broken Window Fallacy, the idea that there are hidden costs associated with purposely breaking windows (among other things) so that a certain segment of society (i.e. glassworkers) can gain from it. Never has a film been more deluded by the Broken Window Fallacy than Sicko. Just listen to Moore gush about how the French get free laundry service from the government! There are no hidden costs there, right? And these "necessary" perks are not available in the US because Americans are the most selfish, uncaring people on the earth, right? So this filmmaker would have you believe. Consider how he portrays a woman being tossed out of a health care facility like refuse. He conveniently fails to mention that under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act it is illegal to refuse people emergency service due to their inability to pay for it, but why bother to state the facts when depicting human suffering is such effective propaganda? Furthermore, if these catastrophic events are really occurring and bodies are piling up in the streets, why doesn't Mr. Moore do something about it immediately?! I know it's hard to give up such a lavish lifestyle, but perhaps he could forego riding in chauffeured limousines (maybe even skip a few meals?) at least until this "disaster" is averted. So delusioned by his Robin Hood approach to save the world from capitalism and oblivious to the true cost of socialism, Moore interviews residents of Cuba about the "great" benefits of universal health care and how cheap it is (more broken windows). No mention about how under law 88, any dissent whatsoever would get these Cubans up to 15 years in prison. This would be like asking a slave if he was being treated well right in front of his master. One of the Cubans Moore interviews happens to be Aleida Guevara. No mention, of course, that her father Che was an ardent socialist and mass murderer who executed thousands. The irony was apparently lost on Moore. Of course, the genocide in Latin America pales in comparison to the atrocities perpetrated in places like Russia, China, and Cambodia in the 20th century. In fact, regimes calling themselves socialists have murdered over 100 million people since 1917. Millions more perished because their governments couldn't feed them. These are the real, explicit costs of socialism that you will never see in a Michael Moore film. He seems to be more concerned with obscurantism and self-loathing than telling you the truth. The apex of Moore's self-hatred comes at the point in the film where he dejectedly asks the audience, "Who are we? and what has happened to our soul?" So I will end this review by answering these questions. Just as far-left academians, politicians, and socialist filmmakers are conspiring to make us feel guilty for our vast wealth and telling us we are the most greedy and miserly group of people that ever lived, America has set an all-time record for charitable giving, donating more than 295 billion dollars last year, more than any civilization in the history of the world. Notice how that is not money taken by force and squandered by a parasitical and voracious intermediary (i.e. the IRS, socialist governments). But surely this must be a mistake becuase Mr. Moore is telling us that the French are so much more compassionate. Perhaps the French don't produce as much as the evil Americans who profit on the backs of the poor. So how much did these countries give as a percentage of their gross domestic product? That would be 1.7% for the Americans and a whopping 0.14% for the French. So much for Mr. Moore telling us how selfish we are in relation to the rest of the world, especially the French. Could it be that this filmmaker is so deluded by utopian dreams of a society with the basic principle: "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need" (as quoted directly from Karl Marx by a French doctor in Sicko) that he is willing to deceive his audiences to achieve it? After all, the end justifies the means, right? Fortunately, the majority of Americans are not fooled. They understand that there is no such thing as a free lunch (neither free healthcare nor free laundry service) and that the society that Mr. Moore wants us all to have in reality would make everyone equally poor. And so it is that Mr. Moore has discovered a powerful medium (film) and means (deceitful propaganda) to achieve his desired end (socialism), just like those that came before him... wonderful people like Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Guevara, and Castro. Thankfully, we are not all drinking the Kool-aid just yet.
December 24, 2015
I work in healthcare so I know all about its flaws. My main qualm with this movie is that Michael Moore slants it to fit his viewpoint instead of creating a documentary and letting the audience create their own opinion on the subject. And Cuba having better healthcare than us?!! C'mon.
November 25, 2015
Makes me realise how precious the NHS is.
October 29, 2015
Sadly, ACA (Obamacare) has not made the SICKO problems go away. Limiting care remains the source of profit in the industry. Creating havoc in people's lives is the daily job of insurance employees. Talk about moral hazards! When doctors attempt to prescribe non-addictive drugs, insurance companies tend to turn them down in favor of cheaper opioids. How much suffering starts in such insurance company decisions? It is time to ensure health care as a right and Medicare for All is the way that will happen.

Michael Moore struck such undeniable truth in this movie, that the industry went on a defamation binge. Wendell Potter, a former CIGNA exec admitted to the industry's smear campaign on television. That is a good preview for this film. SICKO should have been an academy award winner. It deserves being resurrected as a way of examining what has and has not changed since ACA. Economically, Medicare for All would solve huge numbers of problems. Elizabeth Warren is one of the experts in the movie. See what people-oriented leaders think and whom we should support. Get worked up. It could be you next!
October 6, 2015
I knew we were screwed I just did not know how screwed.