Silent Night, Bloody Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent Night, Bloody Night Reviews

July 1, 2016
1970's slasher flick is no better or worse than many, many others of its era.
½ June 19, 2015
Wow, This was VERY good. A story that as you on the edge of your seat the whole time, guessing over and over again. This film has such a good style to it, With a creppy flashback filmed in sepia and the colors very dark. The use of not "seeing" certain elements or people, but the use of sound, IMAGINATION- A key element for a horror film. It was very...how should I put this...Poked at your comfort zone. You didn't feel safe or in control watching it. Some people might complain about the Quality of it, escpecially it is hard to see in a particular night time shot, but through the sound it's better that you don't see it. Unfortunately, with a lot of these great horror films that are over looked, There is no remastering. I have it in a "Horror Classics" DVD. It is absolutely amazing and very very creepy. You'll be walking up your stairs looking around unsteadily. You have to love the feeling. This will definitely scare the lady friend. :)
December 20, 2014
Pretty cool christmas slasher/who-done-it, but towards the end it introduced too much unrelated and confusing storyline.
December 18, 2014
I have an old DVD that came in a set and on the back of the box it says "Carefully remastered for best possible picture quality". So the movie starts, the quality is terrible and the tracking goes crazy because apparently it was just a transfer from VHS (which itself was probably a bootleg VHS). What a joke.

So my enjoyment of this movie may be slightly skewed because of the terrible quality. I have no idea if there exists a better quality version, but it doesn't matter because I have very little interest in seeing this movie again anytime soon. This movie was flat out boring and a bit confusing (but I think that's because I was nearly nodding off and my mind was wandering while watching this snoozer).

Now, this movie isn't completely a loss. I think it needs to be given a bit of a pass. This movie pre-dates Black Christmas and Halloween. This was years before slasher movies became prominent and there wasn't really a formula to follow for success. So this movie was sort of exploring new territory and was doing something new at the time. It should be commended for that at least.

Still, the movie is just too boring and the horrible transfer I had to watch (which was so black at times I couldn't even tell what was going on) make this just such a dreadful experience. The only enjoyment I had was noticing a young Mary Woronov, John Carradine, and Candy Darling. Some of the few minutes with the killer are okay, but forgettable. Can't recommend this one.
½ February 19, 2014
A confusing mess that starts off fast and then goes no where. The characters are pretty lacking and the plot is dimwitted and slow. It felt like random scenes tossed together for an ultimately bland cheap horror flick.
January 30, 2014
Was finally able to get a decent print of this thanks to Code Red DVD, so my estimation of it grew dramatically in that I could finally see what the fuck was happening in the movie. The past attempts to watch had ended in frustration because the public domain prints were so murky, but this time around I was able to make out what was going on, so that was cool.

Murders in a creaky old house happen to take place near Christmas Eve, but this didn't actually have a lot to do with the holiday, despite the lurid title.

Rental?
November 24, 2013
painfully dull with major plot holes. for diehard Mary Woronov fans only
November 4, 2013
Oh so boring. No wonder nobody has heard about this film. There is not one single interesting scene. Skip this movie. Unless you like being bored.
½ July 10, 2013
I do like my 70s horror and this has a nice little twist. There's some wooden acting along the way but it achieves the 'creepy phone call' standard, always a plus. I watched a shockingly poor DVD of it, with awful sound but it still amused me for an hour or so.
½ January 27, 2013
unfortunatly boring, not really much worth recommending thi one for
½ December 28, 2012
One of the worst films I've ever seen. Starts off poorly & just continues that path throughout.
November 24, 2012
The story was predictable.
½ November 4, 2012
not a bad film but there were some bad moments.
½ November 1, 2012
Mill Creek's 50 Movie Pack: Chilling Classics Reviews

SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT [1974]: A once forgotten film made and lumped on to the Drive- In movie circuit in the mid 1970's. After its initial Drive-In run the film quickly disappeared in to near obscurity until it rescue on late night T.V movie shows, such as ELVIRA'S MOVIE MACABRE in the mid 1980's. Thanks to that the yuletide horror film SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT started gain a cult following which was enhanced by its Home Media Realise. Produced by none other than Troma Studios Co-founder Lloyd Kaufman; SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT is now viewed by some as a precursor to the Slasher Movie sub-genre.

PLOT: Opening on Christmas Eve 1950 in a local great house in a small US town, a man was burned to death in the house. As a result the estate is passed to his grandson, fast-forward to the 1970s' where the estate is up for sale much to delight of the town's residents. However when killings start to happen on the property around the festive season, the buried past is soon resurfaces.

THOUGHTS: As I previously mentioned some view this film as a precursor to the slasher movie genre along with another 1974 Yuletide Horror classic BLACK CHRISTMAS. And to some extent yes that is correct, the POV shots, the killer is seldom seen, and of course a body count; SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT is a slasher film through and through. However a bizarre mute performance by John Carradine communicating by a bell makes this film all the more memorable. 70%
½ September 7, 2012
Didn't really like it at all. I don't like slashers. I checked this out last night cause I heard good things about it and cause its so old I thought it could be different. But nah. Just another slasher.
½ April 7, 2012
A really good 70's horror movie.
½ March 31, 2012
Wow, just wow. This movie was so appallingly boring and mind-numbingly slow that I just wanted it to end as quickly as possible. I watched this in a double feature set with Christmas Evil (AKA You Better Watch Out) first in line. I don't know if that affected the experience because the former was pretty entertaining, but this one just flat-out sucked.
December 24, 2011
Wasn't quite as terrible as I expected.
½ December 12, 2011
Silent Night, Bloody Night is a nonsense Christmas-horror which must be one of the longest 90 minutes that I have ever experienced. Black Christmas would do the telephone-creep thing a lot better in '74, this is just tedious.