Silver Linings Playbook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silver Linings Playbook Reviews

½ August 15, 2017
The chemistry between Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence is undeniable. One of those movies that reminds you why you fell in love with film in the first place.
½ July 30, 2017
Who could believe that a recovering bipolar and a sex addict widow could truly love each other. This film was awesome and really touching, maybe one of my favorite love story. The scenario was extremely simple (in the same vein as 50/50 or Sideways), wonderful and accessible for all. Actually, this movie deserves to be my favorite movie of 2012. Not really surprised by the 8 nominees in list for the Oscars!
½ July 29, 2017
Great film. Feel good with an underlying serious theme, represents mental health struggles but always with a nice humorous tone. Couldn't have picked two better actors for these roles, and they couldn't have embraced the parts any better.
July 18, 2017
Fantastic acting from Cooper, Lawrence, and De Niro. Also, I'm a Cowboys fan and this movie made me root for arch rivals, The Philadelphia Eagles. That's an achievement.
July 11, 2017
This movie depicts my life. I don't know which character I relate to most. I love this movie.
June 27, 2017
This is a decent film
June 24, 2017
The performances are fine, and the first thirty minutes are an entertaining introduction to the main characters, but it quickly dissolves into a shallow and unfocused mess.

There's very little beneath the surface in "Silver Lining's Playbook." Almost every emotion is said out loud, and the depiction of the mental illnesses some of the characters face was entirely dependent on whether or not the plot needed something to move it along. It's almost as if no such issues existed once the characters were supposed to be likeable again. And even at peak "crazy" it just felt like watching actors try to out-act each other.

After those first thirty minutes, the story feels desperate. Almost like a school play where everyone forgot their lines. Plot points are pulled out of nowhere, and then they're stretched far farther than any ever should be. And because the characters seem like actors, there's no charm or relationship investment to keep the film afloat.

I think there's a good movie within "Silver Lining's Playbook." Maybe if forty minutes were shaved off the two hour runtime, so we could be left wanting more instead of wishing things would speed up or at least reassemble themselves. However, I don't know how the depiction of mental illness could be fixed. Perhaps if the screenplay was more specific than to just give us characters who are loud and irrational when the plot depends on it.
June 23, 2017
Good movie with a talented cast.
Would give 5 stars if not for the somewhat Hollywood Happy Ending that maybe didn't go with the tone of the rest of the movie.
June 17, 2017
OMG ... this movie was so beautiful !!! Amazing performance by Bradley Cooper and especially Jennifer Lawrence !!! Not surprised that she got the Oscar for this performance.
June 13, 2017
Fab acting and super writing and directing lead a pretty slim premise of a love story. It's great to see DeNiro at the best he's been in over 20 years. The duo of Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper have a special chemistry that is tough to match. Chris Tucker is hilarious in his brief moments. If you take this for what it is a rom-com, you'll love it. Final Score 8.2/10
May 19, 2017
When we wished to see the outside again, but not ready when we see we are still living on the inside. When we see we have pant up emotions, thoughts, and countless new approaches to go by change that we see a new us but nobody sees it. When we continue to see our end zone when we need to see ourselves reach there again. When we don't see that life poses challenges to us that we don't see, when we dont live in the moment with those whom want to see us the way we were. When we don't see eye to eye with those whom we wished to see we let them down. When we see have a great support group from within that far reaches to outside that cheer us on when we are down to not see who is on our team. When we see we are ready to be put into our old swing of things in life but others dont see why you can't see why you act this way when you only see the touchdown you wish to reach. When we see we take small steps, embrace every accomplishment and slowly build and climb to our goals. When we don't see this patch of fog that we continuely claw through, whether it's the past memories, old faces, new faces, what we can't get right, what we don't identify or remain in the moment with those whom are clear,you living our moment when we are mentally unstable. When we see some places that are more suitable we wished to be when it's healing, what's needed, what's missing and what continuely is safer when we have family, friends and a team to support us.

When you dont see being on a team you make the players around you great. When we see that we are on the right paths, right narrow, divert all the negative energy we feel and only focus on the silver linings. When we only see our end zone goal to be in top shape, strengthen ourselves and the team around us, not risk being pulled out of the game by one bad move, or risk our teammates, when we need all this support when everything is alright, and we can begin again. When we see some support is harder to achieve when we need to perform. When we see we are only a one sport kind of guy to focus only on what we are good at, being good for only one person. When we see we need to go the distance for some goals to be met. When we see we are struck with some stroke of luck when our team gets stronger and now can perform better then we expected with a different perspective. When we see not every member of our team are players but fans when they are right by our side encouraging us and betting on the side (Pete Rose). When we see that what makes others good go to players when we see eye to eye on plays. When we see our goals are farther away then we thought we would reach when some odds are against us and we don't see a victory. When we see we have a lot riding in some games when the game is on and off the field that we must win. When we see we must follow by the book as it is called out and follow superstitions when they all work. When we see the the game as a whole, when our team is our state that we don't see was winning all along. When we see our hail mary pass for an early touch down is possible, but others see no chance when they rather intercept. When we see we don't have faith in our team and organization when we don't see ourselves winning. When we are trying to look for the signs to see what we can do when we see life is out of our control on one aspect and the other we see we have a chance we go all in. When we don't want to be seen in a light where we need to be cheated when or lead to believe we are winners or losers to see what is in our vary own eyes. When we need to see others whom we see are good for us and others whom drive us crazy to see we got a good thing going in the next season. When we see all we have worked for comes down to this one game to just cover the spread. When we see we don't play by others games but our own when it's must more positive. When the game is better shared with everyone on the team whom can make us see what we always could see a real championship team we can revisit every Sunday as a family.
½ May 5, 2017
Charming, surprising, moving and very well written and directed by David O. Russell. This is a true ensemble piece. There is not a weak link in the cast, and it avoids sentimentalising the very real destructiveness of mental illness. At the same time it shows the positive force that can come out of family breakdown. So good to see Dr Niro reminding us what a great actor he is when given a chance.
½ April 29, 2017
Too bad it won an Oscar.
April 14, 2017
Funny, smart and excellent
March 24, 2017
Heartwarming movie that shows some of the real life struggles that come with living with mental illness in your life (your own mental illness or that of a loved one). A unique and refreshing story that is very sweet and heartwarming.
March 19, 2017
watched it last week and it really touched me...good movie with some unexpected turns
March 17, 2017
When I heard of Katniss Everdeen becoming Tiffany Maxwell, making Jennnifer Lawrence win a best actor oscar I was a bit skeptical. But I have to admit she did a great job in this nevrotic ataching role. De Niro and Braddley Cooper really leverage it. Not a must see but a very fresh romantic comedy.
March 15, 2017
It uses a very sensitive and pitiful scenario to build spectacular comedy and to develop a genuine beautiful love story. Jennifer Lawrence made maybe the most beautiful female lead of romantic comedies here.
½ March 5, 2017
A romantic comedy with a bit more depth to it. Good watch.
March 4, 2017
I'm not a fan of romantic comedies. Never have been. But this film is absolutely fantastic. It's so rare to find romantic comedies or plain old comedies with suck great writing and heart to them. It helps that the films subject matter its home with me, as I have a close family member who is bipolar. I honestly though, I think the film's message is universal. The casting is perfect. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence have unmatched chemistry in this film. Robert Deniro and Jacki Weaver as Pat's parents turn in great performances. Even Chris Tucker's minor role is memorable. I have seen this movie countless times and plan on seeing it many more.