Silver Linings Playbook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silver Linings Playbook Reviews

December 9, 2016
Con actuaciones excepcionales, El lado bueno de las cosas se hace un hueco en las mejores peliculas de la década. Imprescindible verla.
December 3, 2016
Rather uneven movie with a great cast, great director, but mediocre writing. The dialogue was so, so painful but the actors were able to overcome it with their performances. Bradley Cooper had acting chops that I have not seen but his dancing was pretty painful to watch. Robert DiNero chews up the scenery whenever he is on screen, and I could almost sent that Cooper was pretty much in awe. Lawrence was a lovely ingenue who does know how to shake her booty but other than adorable she is pretty average as an actress. Sorry it did not make more of a statement on mental illness, there was more than an opportunity but it's happy-happy ending kind of failed it.
November 23, 2016
Great performance of Jennifer Lawrence!
½ November 23, 2016
The feel-good movie of 2012, David O. Russell directs a stellar movie focusing on 2 people trying to overcome their mental issues. Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and especially Robert DeNiro we're so good. The chemistry between Cooper and Lawrence has been seen on several occasions, this being the best. I absolutely loved the portrayal of Cooper's dad by DeNiro. He's the father who wishes he did more for his son instead of focusing on one child. Jacki Weaver also did an excellent job. I also really liked the few scenes with Chris Tucker. The writing in this film is so good as well and only makes it better with the jobs this cast provided. I'm not sure if this deserved as many awards as it was nominated for, but Silver Linings Playbook is great.
November 16, 2016
This one is something else.probably the best of decade. The not so romantic but stick in deep ground of reality type rom-com. Thoroughly loved the performance of lead cast. Do give it a watch. It does have a silver lining. Thumbs up.
November 5, 2016
I loved it so much, Jennifer and Brad's actuation was just flawless, as always.
October 25, 2016
Shedding light on a once-taboo subject, director David O. Russell's adaptation of Matthew Quick's novel draws on both contributor's personal experiences with mental illness. A poignant emotionally-resonant film that is both charming and funny, Russell artfully never glosses over the angst of difficulty of situation but doesn't wallow either.

The Silver Linings Playbook is a unique blend of deft pacing, accentuating camerawork, combustible acting, intriguing cast combinations, a stellar screenplay, prudent dialogue, astute direction and the relatable topic of a dysfunctional family in turmoil; that is completely deserves its eight Oscar nods.

Unadvisedly released under plea-bargain from an eight month stint in a Baltimore mental hospital for attacking his wife's lover in their shower, Pat Solatano (Bradley Cooper) is surprisingly upbeat, holding on to his mantra of Excelsior like a life raft.
Determined to find the silver lining in battling his bi-polar disorder, depression and anxiety, Pat is willing to jump through as many precarious hoops as required in his quest for emotional stability and to repair the damage he's done by earning back the love of his estranged wife.

His well-meaning mother Dolores (Jacki Weaver) didn't consult his father (Robert De Niro) before picking up their damaged son, and although rooting for him, Pat Sr. is skeptical about his son's optimistic recovery. Persisting with his theory of family togetherness as it coincides with his own mass of neuroses as a failing bookie, his extreme fandom for the Philadelphia Eagles is fueled by outlandish OCD superstitions proving that the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

As expected, Pat's recovery derails frequently, until he meets a mysterious girl with similarly complicated problems. A recent widow with excessively low self-esteem, the highly inappropriate Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) buries her issues in sexual encounters (with literally anyone).

Her sexual offer rebuffed by Pat and his unfounded faithfulness his restraining order welding wife, Tiffany agrees to help Pat breach the gap by deliver a letter, but in return he must agree to be her partner in a local dance competition.

Although blackmailed, the more they practice, the better they sidestep their issues. But when Pat Sr. and Tiffany face off for Pat's attention, can a deal that accommodates and benefit all their eccentrics be found or will things spiral completely out of control?
Each character layered with their own complexities, the ensemble cast is terrific. Cooper is marvelous in his most multidimensional role to date. Inspired and convincing, he strikes a measured between twitching social ineptness and edgy impulse control.

Versatile It-girl Lawrence is outstanding. At just 22 she not afraid to step outside convention to achieve acting greatness and as the sex-driven widow going through a spectacular meltdown of her own she is sheer dynamite.

Effortlessly bouncing off of each other's energy, their potent chemistry and sexual tension is something from rom-com lovers to savior. De Niro delivers his best performance in years in a somewhat familiar OCD driven role, whilst Tucker (in his first non-Rush Hour film since 1997) is fantastic for so many reasons.

The Verdict: With disarming ease this movie demands closer inspection. The Silver Linings Playbook is a brave accomplishment for all and an intelligently rich adult-centric comedy experience for audiences.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 01/02/2013
October 11, 2016
fantastic film well acted and a good cast
October 6, 2016
Romantic, touching, funny, and extremely relatable. Silver Linings Playbook is a very personal story that hits every level of emotion while still remaining light.
September 28, 2016
I have been severely bipolar all my life and could relate to this movie in some ways. The parents in this movie seemed very real in their concern and feelings of helplessness for their struggling son. The problem with this movie is that there is no "fix" for being bipolar. Getting the girl you love and taking meds will not make everything fantastic for the rest of your life like it shows at the end of the movie. With real bipolar disorder, you have to continue to see a psychiatrist regularly, your meds have to be adjusted throughout your life because they lose potency after a while and you definitely still have some bipolar symptoms (although with a lot less frequency and severity). Bipolar has become the new designer illness, and I think this movie is misleading people by making bipolar something that will just "go away" with the right set of circumstances. I guess they will make a romantic comedy about anything nowadays. Maybe next time it will be a romantic comedy about a retarded guy and autistic girl...
September 23, 2016
I've heard so many raving reviews about Silver Linings Playbook and really wanted to like it...but I couldn't.
This movie is predictable, plain and simple. You know what is going to happen next because it follows an A-B-C outline. There are no surprises, and you feel no emotion as a viewer.
That being said, acting was great (obviously) and the movie did a great job representing mental illnesses.
But I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone and I would never watch it again.
September 23, 2016
They crazy but they nice.
September 5, 2016
Great turns from Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro, but it's Jennifer Lawrence who carries the movie
September 3, 2016
I didn't expect to enjoy a movie in this genre, but I did!
August 31, 2016
No that great of a movie, but Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence give a great performance
JohnSilver
August 29, 2016
Un peu long, mais au final, ça en vaut la peine!!!
August 26, 2016
Bradley Cooper, Robert DeNiro, Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Tucker are brilliant!
August 19, 2016
No matter the problems we face and the tribulations that haunt our daily lives, there is always a silver lining. There is always the opportunity for you to become a healthier and better you. That is what Silver Linings Playbook teaches us.
August 19, 2016
Great conflict, acting, and direction. I was on the edge of my seat.
August 15, 2016
Brilliant cast! Brilliant story!