Silver Linings Playbook Reviews

• 1d ago

Silver Linings Playbook is a surprisingly heart warming film that rides on the wonderful chemistry between Lawrence and Cooper, to deliver a sweet love story between the two protagonists.

• Jul 26, 2019

O'Russell and Jennifer are totally over rated, someome has to say it. Bradley Cooper and JLaw have no chemistry at all. It is a basic romantic whatever, 'cos it's not a comedy nor a drama. The mental issues are just an exuse to get them to meet, but it doesn't relly dig in to it. It has nothing original and the ending (SPOILER ALERT) with the kiss under the rain is tacky and repetitive.

• Jul 05, 2019

Studio marketing is powerful! How else could such a turkey win?

Studio marketing is powerful! How else could such a turkey win?

• Jul 03, 2019

I am one of those people that don't re-watch films. I have watched this one four times, Silver Linings Playbook was ahead of its time.

• Jun 16, 2019

Bradley's performance is 100%

Bradley's performance is 100%

• May 14, 2019

The state of romantic comedies in the early 2010s was dire with a deluge of Kate Hudson vehicles and Christian themed films being released. Long gone were the days of successful dramatic actors taking a chance on the genre, I had thought. I was pleasantly surprised when I watched this fantastic film, probably David O. Russell's second best film behind Spanking the Monkey (1994), that it managed to combine serious drama and genuine romance and comedy so well. The performances are all great, including Julia Stiles in a small role, as they work with a great script that provides them with excellent, colorful characters to play with charm and style. This was a major landmark in Lawrence's career as an Academy Award nominated actress and although many seem to have an unnatural dislike of her I think this is her best performance. Pat Solitano Jr., Bradley Cooper, has recently been released from a mental hospital and is determined to reconcile with his ex-wife Nikki, Brea Bee, who has filed a restraining order against him. His plans are put on hold when he meets Tiffany, Jennifer Lawrence, who also suffers from mental problems and she manipulates him into participating in a dance competition with her. Love blossoms as Solitano is able to improve his relationship with his father Pat Solitano Sr., Robert De Niro, and mother Dolores, Jacki Weaver. Will the two be able to overcome their flaws to enter into a healthy relationship? Absolutely, yes. This is a film that concerns people who are legitimately flawed and who could easily be the villains in a more conventional romantic comedy. Instead we get to see love blossom between two people who actually are interesting and have real obstacles to their relationship working. The way that they are brought together is very contrived but the dance scenes are funny enough to redeem the film and I am willing to overlook contrived plots just to have a satisfying piece of cinema. Pat's mother fits the supportive and loving trope but his relationship with his father and brother goes deeper and the unhealthy obsession with American football that Solitano Sr. possesses clearly hurts his family. Even Tiffany's sister and Pat's friend have a complex relationship that is explored so well in one scene that you remember them long after you have seen the film. Lawrence's performance is fantastic as her "I like those parts of myself" monologue was some of the most entertaining work I have seen to come out of the 2010s. She burns with an intensity but has clearly been broken by the death of her husband but Lawrence always keeps the tone of her character comedic without glossing over the harsh features of her character. Cooper is also very good as he uses the manic intensity also seen in The Place Beyond the Pines (2012) and American Hustle. He and De Niro squaring off is great fun to watch and although it is hard to separate De Niro from his iconic work in the 1970s he feels as though he is playing a more grown up version of Monroe Stahr or Noodles. Weaver does a good job as the concerned and loving mother but she doesn't really inject something new into her role. As I have already mentioned Stiles was my standout as the overbearing, uptight sister of Tiffany, she would have been my pick for Best Supporting Actress that year. Russell directs well, as you would expect, employing some of the same techniques he used in Spanking the Monkey to convey sexual tension. He paces the film nicely and although the film ends with a very expected happily ever after montage it still brought me the warm and fuzzies. This is a great film and considering the state of a genre that I love this is something of a savior to me in this superhero heavy decade. Everybody does a great job in this film and Russell follows up the success of The Fighter (2010), which I still have not seen, with a lovely little film. If this genre is not for you then you may still enjoy this film because it is grittier and more realistic than the average film.

• May 04, 2019

This is by far my favorite film of all time.

This is by far my favorite film of all time.

• Apr 07, 2019

Just amazing. Watched for the 2nd time. Jennifer is just awesome!

Just amazing. Watched for the 2nd time. Jennifer is just awesome!

• Mar 23, 2019

love is also - sometimes more - about loving the imperfections <3

love is also - sometimes more - about loving the imperfections <3

• Mar 20, 2019

This was a very emotional and mature film; although, Jenifer Lawerence's and Bradley Cooper's great acting made this film a great success. One thing in particular I loved about the movie is how they don't leave the mildly disturbing scenes out of the movie; instead, those scenes help describe the message and theme of the movie. I recommend to a audience of 16+. Overall, very good!