Simon Killer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Simon Killer Reviews

September 16, 2016
"Simon Killer" is a character study that had the potential to be disturbing, but settled for eerie and a tad unconvincing, despite a great performance from Brady Corbet who plays the titular sociopath.
January 1, 2016
Grade: B-

A recent college graduate goes to Paris to forget his troubles following a breakup. Corbet is fantastic as the myopic and completely unlivable Simon who slowly seems to be unraveling as his manipulative behavior escalates throughout he film as he uses and controls and damages all the women around him. The real reason to watch this tough to watch full is the direction from Campos which is assured in tone and style with claustrophobic framin, over the back follow shots, and blaring electronic music that punctuate scenes. Easier to appreciate than to like.
½ October 28, 2015
Filled to the brim with empty artiness pretentiousness with no substance... Stop... If you're going to make a "deep" arthouse film.... have some engagement with a story and characters. Don't dwindle and give us stuff anyone can film
½ September 30, 2015
Really like how it was shot. Super raw. Just not too into the story overall
Harlequin68
½ August 31, 2015
After a devastating breakup of a five year relationship, Simon(Brady Corbet) decamps for Paris where luckily he has a friend who has an empty apartment he is willing to loan him. While there, he does all the normal touristy things. But his attempt to pick up two young women on the Metro falls flat. So, he decides to try a professional establishment...

It's all well and good if there is ambiguity concerning a leading character. One of the problems with "Simon Killer" is that the filmmakers clearly have no idea what to do with their title character, whether he is wounded, troubled or something much, much worse. To his credit, Brady Corbet fully immerses himself in the creepiness of his character. This comes at the cost of making him unlikable not just to the audience but also to any other characters which would make any kind of meaningful connections that Simon has kind of hard to believe.
August 29, 2015
Psychotic, twisted, subversive, creepy, lingering.
June 23, 2015
Simon Killer is hypnotic, stylish, and has a killer soundtrack, but it's style over substance. Clearly. Brady Corbet and Mati Diop are fabulous, but Antonio Campos tries too hard to make this an artsy, sensory overload experience. It's just dull and oftentimes very unwatchable.
½ June 4, 2015
Beatifully shot and relentlessly contemplative. Despite it's violent and often psychotic main character, Simon Killer's biggest crime is boredom.
April 18, 2015
An often very uncomfortable watch. The pace is deliberately slow, scenes go on longer than they need, almost as if director Campos is forcing the viewer to experience the discomfort and alienation of his central character. Excellent use of sound, and well acted. It's the kind of subject matter Michael Haneke explores, but not quite in his league.
March 24, 2015
Make no mistake, this is a quality film, with an unpredictable storyline, good acting, decent production values, and an interesting soundtrack. But I had two insurmountable problems with it - on the technical side, the pace was glacially slow at times. While this adds to some films, it really seemed inappropriate here, especially the strange fixation the filmmaker had with following behind the characters as they walked down the street - this was done at length, over and over, for no apparent reason. Second, on a more personal note, the character was such a cold-hearted, utterly irredeemable sociopath, I found it hard to become invested in him in any way.
January 25, 2015
I though a dark movie about sex and murder would be more entertaining then this. The attempt at a slow haunting buildup didn't work out. I haven't seen such realistic looking sex scenes sense Y tu mama tambien.
January 5, 2015
So slow. Not a boring film but not very engaging either.
November 3, 2014
Aparently part of a new kind of horror/drama/suspense that enjoys exploring sex and violence in a more "classy" and "psychological" way, Simon Killer ends up feeling narritavely shallow and with little soul or character on its own. The story is somewhat convoluted and nothing is explored as deeply as it should, leadingh nowehere, and its characters offer very little to keep the viewer interested in anything else than the mostly well done imagery.
September 7, 2014
I am puzzled by the way this film was received. It is a deeply disturbing, effective, creepy and entertaining journey into the life of a brooding sociopath whose rage and confusion are always almost to the point of boiling over. Unforgettable film and an exceptional performance by Brady Corbet. Perhaps too graphic and dark for all tastes, but this is a highly potent film.
August 18, 2014
One of the more unsettling and uncomfortable movie watching experiences I can recall having. It gets under your skin and stays there, well-composed atmosphere to the max, even if the experience it creates induces a mild fever and nausea.
½ August 1, 2014
I certainly liked this movie and its focus on a sociopathic character and how his personality affects everyone around him in negative ways. But I'm not exactly sure whether to give this film 3 or 3.5 stars. At the very least I think it's a good film, but at the same time I think I'm underrating it. But I don't really feel comfortable giving it a 3.5 rating because I didn't think it was that good. This is an occasion where quarter-ratings would be really helpful, because 3.25 stars would be right about where I feel this movie is. Why am I discussing this here? I do not know, maybe I don't have much to say. Regardless I did like the film. The pacing could definitely have been a bit better, it can be a little off-putting, particularly if you're tired, as I was, and at times it was a struggle to stay awake. Not that the film is boring, it's just that the pacing doesn't really do itself any favors. But the character development is more than good, Simon is a compulsive liar, he's a manipulator and a freeloader. He lives off of the kindness of women, theoretically, as you only get to see how he manipulates one woman throughout the majority of his stay in Paris, but it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't exactly the same when he was with his ex, and even his parents. He's someone who doesn't really care about anybody's needs but his own and he definitely acts accordingly. That aspect of the film I certainly enjoyed, Simon's selfishness and his desire to maintain a certain lifestyle without having to work for it. The thing is that Simon at first comes across as someone who's just depressed about his break-up, you believe him when he says that his ex fucked up. Of course this is just a facade as you start to peel back layers of his personality as the movie progresses. You start to see his lies and how manipulative he truly is and you get to the point of wondering how could any woman spend five years of her life with a man like this. You know what, as I'm going through the movie, I'm starting to realize how good this film really is. I think the 3.5 is deserved. It's deserved because the character development really is top-notch, and Brady Corbet's performance is absolutely enthralling. He's incredibly convincing as this manipulative sociopath. The soundtrack is also pretty damn cool. I think the camerawork also reflects Simon's character. The camera is a little bit tighter on Simon at the beginning and end of the film, where he's at his worst emotionally and physically. When his life is exactly as he wants it, the shots a little bit more open. The darker themes of the film may not be enjoyed by some, but I think it works in this film's favor. Not every story needs to be uplifting, nor does every 'villain' need to meet his comeuppance. As long as the story is satisfying, then that is all that matters, to me at least. And this film certainly has a very compelling character at its core, not a very likable one, but a compelling one nonetheless. Very good character study here, it's gonna require a little patience, but it was a rewarding experience to say the least. Maybe not in a positive way, but still rewarding.
July 24, 2014
Convincing portrait/collage of a psychopath with a slow pace, Simon Killer is beautifully filmed and has a career best performance from a nuanced Brady Corbet. An excellent soundtrack and skewed visual style add to the strangely addictive quality the film. One if a kind, and not for everyone.
½ July 10, 2014
Just finished this movie that was very "Talented Mr. Ripley" set in Paris. Its an interesting study of a sociopath.
½ May 21, 2014
OMG, U guyz. Ending with a very effective "Oh, *fuck*!" moment (all the more so for being off-kilter), this is an "American Psycho in Paris" story like few you'll have ever seen.

It may seem at first to be a film without heroes, but there is one. Without wishing to give too much away, it's the girl who says what she doesn't like, and says no and means it.

PS: Also a very cool soundtrack that had me looking up the bands.
March 31, 2014
Made it halfway before I had to stop it. What a lifeless piece of cinema.