Singin' in the Rain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Singin' in the Rain Reviews

April 25, 2017
This musical contains some wonderful performances, songs, and scenes. It is also very funny and some of the sight gags by O'Connor are brilliant. Perhaps some of the extended performance scenes are a little dated, but it is still a wonderfully entertaining film. Considered to be the best musical movie of all time and the fifth greatest movie of all time. My favourite film of 1952. 1001
April 22, 2017
Finally got about watching this classic musical from the bygone era of Hollywood, about Hollywood itself. There's so much infectious energy from the cast, it's hard not to have a smile on one's face watching their great performances.
April 14, 2017
Gene Kelly stars in this timeless musical masterpiece as a silent film star working on his first talking picture with his romantic co-star (Jean Hagen), his best friend (Donald O'Connor), and a promising new actress (Debbie Reynolds). Many complications arise during the production, among them are his co-star's obnoxious voice and the microphones capturing the wrong sounds. Will their first "talkie" be a success or a disaster? This picture is a pure delight from start to finish with wonderful musical numbers including the title tune, "Good Morning", and "Make 'Em Laugh". Singin' in the Rain also has an equally delightful script by Betty Comden and Adolph Green that is hilarious yet affectionate at capturing Hollywood's rough transition into talking pictures.
April 12, 2017
A great classic. Definition of genre defining work. Lots of good music/songs.
April 11, 2017
All time best movie IMO !!! So fun.
March 29, 2017
Incredible choreoghraphy which made my jaw drop.
March 25, 2017
Between Sound of Music and this for greatest musical of all time!
March 23, 2017
Loved it from the witty dialogue to the intense tap dance to the hilariously bad voice over of Lina
March 23, 2017
Funny and romantic, grand and smart, Singin' in the Rain has it all and it is not only one of the best musicals ever made with many classic and unforgettable songs accompanied by great imagery and all around superb scenes, but it's also one of the best comedies as it is consistently funny with a couple of scenes that are comedy gold, so perfectly constructed and absolutely hilarious. It is such a great satire on early sound films and it serves as a great and funny film history lesson. The film is also a visual marvel to behold leading to an undisputed classic for the ages.
March 17, 2017
To this day my favorite movie musical.
February 24, 2017
What can I say, the ultimate feel good musical with great numbers and actors/actresses. Gene Kelly had incredible dance routines through out the picture and Debbie Reynolds was of course amazing even though it was her first time dancing. Overall fantastic film and must see for all classic movie buffs!
February 18, 2017
Absolute masterpiece!!
½ February 13, 2017
If I had to describe this film in one phrase, I'd call it Gene Kelly's vanity project. Not that that's a bad thing. There are tons of impressive musical numbers that showcase the singing and dancing talent of the stars, especially Kelly. I suppose I was influenced by reports that he was a perfectionist who, as co-director, was very hard on his co-workers.
The story and acting may be a little dated, but this is one of the definitive classic musicals, so if you're fan of the genre, you should see it at least once.
February 12, 2017
Watch this movie without smiling.

I DARE YOU.
February 12, 2017
Absolutely breathtaking. Every single scene.
½ February 2, 2017
It has the most wonderful musical scenes and wonderful choreography while I feel it lacks in good and memorable songs if you exclude the title song of course. It is a musical about Hollywood's glory, but I feel it did a disservice to some of the characters while trying to lift others. If you remove the musical spectacle the story hangs and it is just all over the place. Having in mind the year of its release, I simply have to admit for its time, it has done wonders!
Antonius Block
February 1, 2017
An absolute masterpiece, and easily, easily 5 stars. Gene Kelly's performance of 'Singin' in the Rain' has to be the greatest dance numbers ever performed on film, and I could watch it over and over again. He's a genius throughout this movie as both actor and director. It's just one fantastic number after another, including Donald O'Connor's 'Make 'Em Laugh', the two gentlemen and a 19-year-old Debbie Reynolds performing 'Good Morning' which includes that beautiful sofa sequence at the end, and Kelly dancing with Cyd Charisse in a stunning "imagined sequence within an imagined sequence", with beautiful modern art touches - and many others. This film works on all levels - a musical, of course, but also a romantic-comedy, and an ode to Hollywood's past. It makes you feel good not just because of the story, but because of the irrepressible joy in the performances, and because of you know you're seeing real artistry in the choreography and execution. They make it look smooth and easy, often making the most (so creatively!) out of an economy of space, but if you read the stories of the effort that went in, you'll appreciate it all the more. It's not for nothing that the cast of LaLaLand watched this movie every day on set for inspiration. Pure joy.
January 30, 2017
viewed on 24/7/04 (Sat)

Once upon a time, movie stars are stars not because they generate buzz and gossip but solely for their great great talent.

Singin' In the Rain (1952) stars Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds (that tough-talking mother in THE MOTHER?) and Donald O'Connor. They tap dance and sing and act. The dance sequences alone take my breath away. They so so well-synchronised that it must have gone through hundreds of rehearsals. The actors are so agile!Squatting and can-can dancing! It makes me wonder if Jackie Chan can try a musical like this but then again Gene Kelly can also do stunts.

When I was watching the so so famous Singin' In the Rain sequence, I was telling myself this has to be the happiest moment in movie history. I have heard so much about it. A true classic moment and indeed it is. So free-spirited and uplifting. Like a boy playing in the rain.

I don't really fancy musicals. Total crap, I think. Where in the hell will people break up into a song and dance in real life? But I think musicals like this one are such a joy to watch. I have to change my view about musicals. I think muscials like this one never fails to entertain and inspire awe. Implausible the story may be but I cannot hate movies whose sole mission is to put a big smile on your face.

Rating: B+
January 29, 2017
Why did I wait so long to see this? I can see why it's considered the greatest musical of all-time. Glad I purchased it instead of renting as I'm sure to watch this again over the years :)
January 26, 2017
The best musical ever made. Great acting all around. The script is hilarious. The direction is beautiful. The cinematography is gorgeous. RIP Debbie Reynolds