Single White Female Reviews

• Feb 17, 2019

Man oh man that hair... People love to dog on the 80s for the bad hair back then, but are we really gonna ignore some of the doozers in the 90s...?! It's a decent, but totally formulaic thriller. What it really has going for it are solid performances from the two leads. The psychology in it is pretty believable too, much more than other films of this type. What I find harder to swallow is how desirable Fonda is supposed to be in it. Maybe it's just hair...

• Dec 15, 2018

I have this movie on DVD. It is a really good movie and it makes you question every friend you have and whether you would move in with them.

• Aug 28, 2018

The interaction between Bridget Fonda and Jennifer Jason Leigh blooms like a Moonflower at night, when the lonely darkness of one is betrayed by the beauty and success of the other. Well worth your time.

• Aug 19, 2018

well-made psychological rememberable thriller.

well-made psychological rememberable thriller.

• Oct 08, 2017

Never mess with women, the deadliest creature on the planet. Jennifer Jason Leigh proves herself to be the Hollywood's Isabelle Huppert.

• Sep 25, 2017

Single White Female is a decent film. It is about a woman advertising for a new roommate who finds that something very strange is going on with the tenant who decides to move in. Bridget Fonda and Jennifer Jason Leigh give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow places. Barbet Schroeder did an alright job directing this movie. I like this motion picture because of the drama.

• Sep 03, 2017

Single White Female is one of those formulaic erotic thrillers that would be completely forgotten were it not for the engaging performances of Bridget Fonda as a newly single woman looking for a roommate. She goes through a plethora of applicants before settling on Jennifer Jason Leigh; who seems quiet and overall normal. She soon finds out that Leigh is anything but. Both actresses play their roles to the hilt with histrionics, neuroses, and paranoia all intact. The conclusion is a bit unsatisfying but the fact that it managed to draw us in up to that point is commendable.

• May 15, 2017

Elevated to 3 star status thanks to a suitably unhinged performance from Leigh.

Elevated to 3 star status thanks to a suitably unhinged performance from Leigh.

• Apr 21, 2017

Holy! Bridget Fonda and Jennifer Jason Leigh have intense chemistry in this movie that causes suspense between the two characters throughout! Every moment is filled with suspense that drives whoever is watching it to the edge of their seat/s!

• Jul 02, 2016

This film desperately wants to be a Roman Polanski psychological thriller, but ends up coming across as a Lifetime Channel thriller, albeit a slickly made one. Bridget Fonda plays a 1990s New York career gal who breaks up with her cheating boyfriend, Steven Weber. She puts out an ad for a new roommate and gets Jennifer Jason Leigh, who has all sorts of red flags that she's crazy and yet somehow no one seems to do anything to get rid of her. Leigh becomes obsessed with Fonda and slowly tries to become her, wearing her clothes, taking her hairstyle, to the point of trying to share her boyfriend's bed. Director Barbet Schroeder is certainly capable of making a smart film (i.e. "Reversal of Fortune" or "Barfly"), so I think I'll lay blame on the script by Don Roos, which seems implausible, corny and predictable. It's a bad script that's surrounded by some superb talent. Some of that talent includes one of my all-time favorite character actors, Stephen Tobolowsky, as a creepy sexually harassing boss. There's a fine score by Howard Shore, and the film was shot by Luciano Tovoli, who also photographed the amazing "Suspiria" and "Tenebrae." Not believable, not suspenseful (until maybe the end), but it's slickly made and kind of pretty to look at.