Sinister - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sinister Reviews

½ October 15, 2017
Despite using many modern horror tropes and clichés, Sinister is without a doubt one of the best modern horror films out. It completely terrified me, and made me jump multiple times with probably the best jumpscares ever put to film. I will most definitely be sleeping with the lights on tonight...

In comparison to other Horror Movies of its kind, I would say it is stronger than Insidious and the Conjuring, but said franchises are a lot better than this and the mess that is Sinister 2
October 8, 2017
A pretty terrifying horror movie. Scarry sound effects and a good plot starring Ethan Hawke
½ September 28, 2017
Sinister is subtle with its horror, and it hits you all at once.
½ September 28, 2017
Sinister stars Ethan Hawke and is about his character (a writer) who is looking for another story to push out and gain attention from before he is forgotten. I found this film to be very creepy and I was genuinely scared towards the last act of the film. The videotapes, what made the film so infamous, are not very bloody at all, but so disturbing and bone chilling that I will likely never forget them. The ending of the film also gives you a lot to think about, not in terms of dissecting the hidden meaning necessarily, but definitely in that sense of what will happen next to the people who would continue this series if another (decent) one was made.
September 27, 2017
February 2013
September 2017
September 23, 2017
Seriously... Who moves into a murder house? Also, this movie would have been far more compelling and disturbing if it was real rather than supernatural in the writing. I think that's where it could have been amazing rather than just average.
August 27, 2017
Good scary movies are extremely hard to come across. Although it's not perfect by any means it makes for a fun movie experience. Sinister is effective and offers some good scares, although the movie seems to lose momentum at times.
August 15, 2017
This movie is one of the best horror movies in recent times. Very scary and well thought out plot. Must watch.
August 10, 2017
The truly horrifying moments were when the bughuul moved in the screen of the laptop and the unedited reels.
½ August 6, 2017
Sinister indeed follows the same formula as other horror films, but with its diabolical twists, I found my self terrified on what was going on at the end of this film. Thanks to the performance by Ethan Hawke we get this little creepy film.
½ July 26, 2017
This film scares the crap out of me. Also, great job Ethan Hawke. I really got creeped out by this movie. And I also like the twists. This film will leave you on edge!
July 2, 2017
A moderate horror film that takes chances.
July 1, 2017
Great perfomance by Ethan Hawke, and with dark, brooding cinematography, scray-as-shit soundtrack Derrickson achieves a horrific atmosphere that is ruined by an overly ambitious script and some potential scares that not only fall flat but make you snicker to yourself.
June 26, 2017
I really expected better... But Ethan Hawke does a good job here. It is a little scary and but by the looks of its sequel, its ending is not satisfactory
June 14, 2017
Original ideas in horror are hard to come by given the nature of the genre. The fans all want to be scared, some want blood and gore, and do we ever really want to see a happy ending? The idea behind Sinster was simple, lets give fans a little bit of everything and see how they react. Seeking peace and solitude, real crime writer, Ellison Oswalt (Ethan Hawke), moves his family to the country, unaware that the house he's living in has a checkered past. That is until he finds an old movie projector with 8mm films, that will horrify the man to his core. Having children as the perpetrators of these crimes was my favorite part of the film, I love it when horror movies do that, because what could be scarier than an evil child. You take the most innocent thing in the world, turn it evil, and once that happens what can you do about it? Would you be able to shoot a kid? So how do you stop them? The idea is bone chilling. I also liked the fact that they touch on every aspect of the genre they could from ghosts to possession, from gore to jump scares, they really did include a lot. The problem however is that the film focuses on Ethan Hawke, who tries to shield his family from what's happening, while investigating the events on his own, and this makes the time in between events move at a snails pace. With so much going for it, this is a movie that should have a lot going on, not long periods of nothingness. Personally I'd like to see the story focus on a child and watch as he/she transforms into one of the kids in the 8mm films, that would be cool. For what it's worth, this wasn't a bad film, the cast was pretty good, and they did a lot with what they had, but ultimately Sinister just moved a little too slowly for me.
May 21, 2017
A pretty solid horror flick
May 20, 2017
A great chilling horror film, sinister sees ethan hawke a true crime novelist move into a murder house with his family in order to investigate the murders that took place for his new novel. This film was spine tingling in all sense of the word, and had a unique storyline and twist. A great modern day horror.
April 24, 2017
The plot gradually reveals itself to be rather silly but there are legitimately tense sequences and, even if it's a bit of a letdown, at least the ending commits to its bleakness.
April 16, 2017
This isn't really a huge jump scare movie but I am usually no to scared after a movie and let's just say I was scared sh**less
½ April 11, 2017
It was enjoyable and above the horror standards of modern horror.