Sinister - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sinister Reviews

½ December 12, 2017
Extraordinarily terrifying, Sinister is a dark and disturbing supernatural thriller. Ethan Hawke stars as a true-crime novelist who moves his family into the house of a notorious multiple murder and finds a mysterious case of homemade films in the attic that depict a series of gruesome murders; meanwhile the family begins to experience a number of strange occurrences. Hawke gives a strong performance and newcomer Clare Foley does a great job at playing both cute and creepy. Additionally, the writers build the tension and suspense especially well; the homemade films in particular heighten the mystery and get increasingly unsettling. Incredibly intense, Sinister is a frighteningly chilling horror film.
December 3, 2017
bloody found footage crap. stop making these please
½ November 9, 2017
3.5 Fair thriller/chiller. Available for a limited time on Fetch Movie Box.
November 4, 2017
lol, this one is soooooo spooky
November 3, 2017
Writer and director Scott Derrickson offers a decently directed and visually interesting horror flick, with enough unnerving moments to stand from other recent titles, and while this is pretty much enough to catalog it as a good film, what keeps Sinister from going further among the rest is the number of already tired clichés, as well as conventionally familiar plot and uninteresting characters, making it all go down for a standard and average experience that'll never transcend in horror genre.
October 22, 2017
Aptly named, a good deal of the film has a sinister feel to it with an interesting plot and authentic characters. The evil threat is made scary by being used sparingly, instead relying on the creepy atmosphere created by dark rooms late at night, the content of the Super 8 films within the plot (as well as the great score), and how it all plays on the mind of the protagonist. There's a good deal of genuine scares, but also a few cheap ones here and there. The main issue, however, is just how darn predictable it is, as well as the ending that feels incredibly anti-climactic because of it. You leave with a sense that something more should have happened and that it only goes downhill as time goes by. It certainly had potential to be a lot better, but that doesn't mean that it won't give you the creeps, particularly during the first half.
½ October 15, 2017
Despite using many modern horror tropes and clichés, Sinister is without a doubt one of the best modern horror films out. It completely terrified me, and made me jump multiple times with probably the best jumpscares ever put to film. I will most definitely be sleeping with the lights on tonight...

In comparison to other Horror Movies of its kind, I would say it is stronger than Insidious and the Conjuring, but said franchises are a lot better than this and the mess that is Sinister 2
October 8, 2017
A pretty terrifying horror movie. Scarry sound effects and a good plot starring Ethan Hawke
½ September 28, 2017
Sinister is subtle with its horror, and it hits you all at once.
½ September 28, 2017
Sinister stars Ethan Hawke and is about his character (a writer) who is looking for another story to push out and gain attention from before he is forgotten. I found this film to be very creepy and I was genuinely scared towards the last act of the film. The videotapes, what made the film so infamous, are not very bloody at all, but so disturbing and bone chilling that I will likely never forget them. The ending of the film also gives you a lot to think about, not in terms of dissecting the hidden meaning necessarily, but definitely in that sense of what will happen next to the people who would continue this series if another (decent) one was made.
September 27, 2017
February 2013
September 2017
September 23, 2017
Seriously... Who moves into a murder house? Also, this movie would have been far more compelling and disturbing if it was real rather than supernatural in the writing. I think that's where it could have been amazing rather than just average.
August 27, 2017
Good scary movies are extremely hard to come across. Although it's not perfect by any means it makes for a fun movie experience. Sinister is effective and offers some good scares, although the movie seems to lose momentum at times.
August 15, 2017
This movie is one of the best horror movies in recent times. Very scary and well thought out plot. Must watch.
August 10, 2017
The truly horrifying moments were when the bughuul moved in the screen of the laptop and the unedited reels.
½ August 6, 2017
Sinister indeed follows the same formula as other horror films, but with its diabolical twists, I found my self terrified on what was going on at the end of this film. Thanks to the performance by Ethan Hawke we get this little creepy film.
½ July 26, 2017
This film scares the crap out of me. Also, great job Ethan Hawke. I really got creeped out by this movie. And I also like the twists. This film will leave you on edge!
July 2, 2017
A moderate horror film that takes chances.
July 1, 2017
Great perfomance by Ethan Hawke, and with dark, brooding cinematography, scray-as-shit soundtrack Derrickson achieves a horrific atmosphere that is ruined by an overly ambitious script and some potential scares that not only fall flat but make you snicker to yourself.
June 26, 2017
I really expected better... But Ethan Hawke does a good job here. It is a little scary and but by the looks of its sequel, its ending is not satisfactory