Sinister - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sinister Reviews

½ January 23, 2017
Very well crafted little chiller. Not a lot of story, but just enough to keep me on the edge of my seat and a satisfying, if sequel set up, ending.
½ January 20, 2017
I never watch movies like Sinister, but it was referred to me recently as a horror movie of at least a sliver of actual art to it. I saw that it was The Shining with family roles reversed in a sense. Then I learned that the director is a Christian from Biola. A theory came to my mind. Sinister is about the director himself. Film is the medium of evil shattering a man's family. He knows he should not be drawn into these films (horror films) but he enters this destructive world for the sake of a career. His ambition is leaving a void that the evil begins to fill. Th artistic daughter is being seduced by an anti-family within the medium of film. He sacrifices her natural family for to enter the world of the film (horror film). The demon-god of horror film embraces her as a substitute father (replacing her natural father/Creator). I can't help but think this film is about the tension a Christian in the horror film industry finds himself in. I did not like the film, but I found thinking about it very interesting. Even if Scott Derrickson didn't mean to say everything I am saying here it is often true that an artist reveals more about himself in his art than he intends.
½ January 18, 2017
Very good. Creepy and very engaging.
½ January 18, 2017
Good enough thanks to Ethan Hawke !
January 17, 2017
Jumpscares only. Presentation good. Twist at the end was worth it.
½ January 13, 2017
Great ideas, poorly executed
½ January 9, 2017
2 1/2 stars

A somewhat intriguing setup marred by very illogical decisions and a silly climax.
½ January 4, 2017
It was enjoyable and above the horror standards of modern horror.
December 29, 2016
"Sinister" is a horrifically creepy supernatural thriller that will have you seeing hidden evil spirits in any photograph or old home video you look at afterwards.
½ December 17, 2016
Pretty okay bold up overall.
Stumbling in the dark when not necessary was a bit much and you could see the end coming for miles.
And dead kids aren't scary really.
Nice watch though.
November 14, 2016
Effective chiller, anchored by a good performance from Ethan Hawke. It lifts from several classic horror movies - The Shining, The Omen, The Exorcist - without transcending any of them. At its best early on when things are implied, it unfortunately becomes increasingly silly and less scary as it goes on.
November 6, 2016
3/5 Ratings for Sinister
F:63%
R:37%
Mystery,Horror,Thriller OK
October 30, 2016
surprise me ! The Conjuring is better in my opinion but this one is scary as hell
½ October 22, 2016
One of the most unnerving movies I've seen.
October 22, 2016
Although horror films are personally my least favorite drama, Sinister offers a number of good things throughout that even non fans can appreciate. Ethan Hawke does a solid job depicting a struggling crime novelist trying to once again make a name for himself, there are multiple thrilling moments, and a satisfying dark ending to this feature. Although cliche at points, Sinister provides enough positives to fright and excite the crowd for the most part.
October 22, 2016
this was really good. a bit too many jump scares, but it tried to build its own world and i really appreciate that. nice dread build, really A+/horrifying found footage, good E Hawke. the ending was a bit underwhelming after seeing so much explicit stuff in the demon reels (plus lame ghost kids), but whatever, i'm glad this exists and that i watched it and that it made me uncomfortable.
October 19, 2016
Disturbing and chilling, "Sinister" breathes life into a genre that often misuses its chilling stories at hand.

A writer determined to make another hit story moves into a new house. Unbeknownst of the dangers that lie ahead, he stumbles onto a disturbing set of Super 8 tapes containing horrific videos and crimes. Determined to uncover the mystery, he digs deep into a case that is far out of his reach.

This movie has seemed to split critics and audience members alike. It seems like either you hate this movie or you love this movie. I rarely hear any in-betweeners. I've heard that this is the cheesiest movie ever, but I've also heard it's the most disturbing. In my opinion, this movie is definitely more toward the disturbing side.

My favorite thing about this movie is the story. I love the mystery aspect and there was clearly a lot of effort put into the story. It's so disturbing and chilling that it leaves goosebumps down my spine. I had so much fun uncovering the mystery behind the scenes and the legend of Bughuul was an effective nightmare.

The movie is actually pretty disturbing. It sets the tone from the opening scene and it never manages to lose sight of what it is. The Super 8 tapes aren't over done and they are more than effective. They are definitely graphic in their own right, but they never show too much or too little. The scares in this movie were fairly effective for the most part, save for a few meaningless jump scares.

I actually really enjoyed the dialogue and the interaction among characters seemed really genuine and real. Ethan Hawke is a great actor and he really brought his character to life. He brought the emotion and conflict to his character and he really added a lot to the movie. The screenplay was well written and was a solid effort by the cast and crew.

The cinematography was clear and very well shot. All of the shots looked very pristine and a lot of the shots were great tone setters for the film. I liked the lighting and the atmosphere, and this is certainly a movie you shouldn't watch alone at night.

In the end, "Sinister" is a well made and disturbing horror film. I was very thrilled by this film and it's definitely one of the more respected horror films made out there.
October 19, 2016
This is chilling and suspenseful, the story and direction are excellent, and Ethan Hawke is great.
½ October 16, 2016
A modern horror film that deals with a demon that is being mysteriously found in old videos Ethan Hawke's character found. You can piece this film together of what is going to happen rather quickly but I still really enjoyed it. I have heard the sequel is pretty bad, but Sinister itself is a solid watch.
½ October 9, 2016