Sinister - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sinister Reviews

July 21, 2016
While it surely is an interesting movie, I did not enjoy it because it didnt scare me very much.
July 14, 2016
This is the story of man's hubris. Yes much more so than being a straight up horror film, this film is much more about a man and his pride. A pride that like many before him, would prove to be his undoing. Really is honest real life family drama and emotion put at the for front of a horror movie. The story unplays as you might expect, but Ethan Hawke is more than able to carry it completely.

The one thing I will say, is that the film is a bit too dark. Not content or tone wise, literally. During many scenes of him being alone at night in the attic or on the hallway, it was hard to tell what was happening at times. Maybe it was the copy I had, but I feel like maybe that was the point? If so, maybe make it just light enough for us to see what's happening okay?
½ July 12, 2016
A true crime writer has hit a slump in his career so when he finds a new case about a mysterious and disturbing family who was murdered, but their is a missing child from the family. When he discovers old tapes of similar murders involving a mysterious being, he realizes that living in the house may put his family in danger. Ethan Hawke is excellent, and both child actors give good performances as well. Sinister is a good mix of jump scares and horrifying imagery, as well as a chilling end to the film.
½ July 12, 2016
Hits an absurdly high number of horror clichés, but manages to do it in a pretty successful manner. Features many more laugh out moments than you might expect from a horror of this type. Not sure if that's a pro or a con.
½ July 11, 2016
I have hated most late 00's/10's horror movies, and for good reason. But not only did this movie genuinely fucking terrify me, it also was an extremely interesting, and well thought out movie, with convincing performances and an intriguing mystery. Sure, there's that whole "mysterious accidents cliche in a new house", but it still feels new with the way Scott Derrickson directed it. I enjoyed Ethan Hunt very much and the ending terrified me.
½ July 11, 2016
Truly a dark tale of how Sinister events can take a creepy and chilling toll on your family - Andrew Huynh
½ July 7, 2016
The list is short for the number of films that have left me disturbed like "Sinister" did. The odd thing is I'm not sure why.
½ July 1, 2016
Sinister squanders its slow-building, dark atmosphere when it plays out predictably in the final act. The drawn-out end sequence calls attention to movie's silly premise making for a very mediocre experience overall.
June 30, 2016
Scariest movie I've seen thus far
June 26, 2016
yasssss loved this flick so bsd. my friend was scaed of mr.boogie bt she came around in the end. shes married to him now. loe love loved this movie soooooomuvh
½ June 26, 2016
Sinister indeed follows the same formula has other horror films, but with its diabolical twists, I found my self terrified on what was going on at the end of this film. Thanks to the performance by Ethan Hawke we get this little creepy film.
June 25, 2016
While it easily could fall into the trap of the expected and the cliche Sinister balances on the fine line and manages to keep itself afloat. Occasionally the scares fall flat and I was oddly uninspired by a lot of the "scare" make-up but the plot holds up enough to keep the viewer interested despite it's mistakes. The ending was a let-down and easily predicted, but well executed enough to dismiss it as what they "had to do" as opposed to what they may have wanted to do. I feel as if horror always has these films that hold promise to flip the genre on it's axis but ultimately falls flat. Sinister was scary enough, and I gave it as many stars as I did because it deserved them in it's attempt to try.
June 21, 2016
This movie wasn't scary at all! It had a horrible ending and an ok plot! Don't waste your time!
June 16, 2016
2/5 Another interesting idea executed terribly. The home movies themselves are fairly creepy and the soundtrack is effective. Not to mention Ethan Hawke is fantastic like always. But Sinister is beyond predictable with plenty of cliches and a complete lack of scares. This even extends to the point where the film becomes comical. I found myself laughing far more than shivering in fear. The aesthetic is good though and like I said, Hawke is Hawke. But that's all you're getting with Sinister.
June 11, 2016
I really wanted this to be good but it sucked. Not scary at all. bad story altogether.
½ June 4, 2016
Solid horror movie that managed to make me pretty damn uncomfortable.
June 3, 2016
Kind of lack luster, movie seemed to never really get going. Started out more uncomfortable than scary, flat-lined for most of the movie, add in some really bad special effects, undeveloped plot and weak characters with kind of a less-than-climactic ending. This movie either needs to die or needs a good sequel to add dimension. Still, it was a scary movie so I gave it two stars for the genre.
May 25, 2016
I have to hand it to Sinister. The scares are plenty and the atmosphere is bone-chilling. This plot is very over-used in the horror genre and there's your typical horror tropes throughout the film but what saves it is how the filmmakers add new and refreshing energy, polishing up the cliches into something new that ultimately works. Sinister is well above average and it's the way to go if you're looking to get scared
May 15, 2016
Instead of being terrified, I actually almost teared-up as the end unfolded.
May 14, 2016
scariest movie I've seen as an adult