Sinister - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sinister Reviews

May 21, 2017
A pretty solid horror flick
May 20, 2017
A great chilling horror film, sinister sees ethan hawke a true crime novelist move into a murder house with his family in order to investigate the murders that took place for his new novel. This film was spine tingling in all sense of the word, and had a unique storyline and twist. A great modern day horror.
April 24, 2017
The plot gradually reveals itself to be rather silly but there are legitimately tense sequences and, even if it's a bit of a letdown, at least the ending commits to its bleakness.
April 16, 2017
This isn't really a huge jump scare movie but I am usually no to scared after a movie and let's just say I was scared sh**less
½ April 11, 2017
It was enjoyable and above the horror standards of modern horror.
½ March 26, 2017
great music and good acting with decent story
½ March 17, 2017
The core of every great horror film is a purpose for existing. That's the special sauce that separates great horror flicks from mediocre ones.

Take, for instance, two of the great horror stories of all time: Spielberg's revolutionary tale of a giant shark, "Jaws", and William Friedkin's nasty, uncompromising possession tale, "The Exorcist". These are stories with real characters, and a reason for being. "Jaws" is a story about a trio of genuine, three-dimensional characters, and a man overcoming fear. "The Exorcist" is a story about the mystery of faith, and a man who loses and regains the Christian faith. "Sinister" is a story much like those. It's a story about a self-conscious man learning that it isn't the physicial and tangible things that make life worth living.

This is a brilliantly crafted, beautifully acted, effectively shot, and chillingly scored horror instant classic.
February 21, 2017
I was unimpressed, it failed to scare me even with the lights out at midnight. Hawke is good as always but he can't make a bad script good. The inadequate directing failed to give any sense of rise and fall of tension, with every jump scare coming exactly when expected.
½ February 13, 2017
Gripped from the opening shot, was so shocking to see that to start off a film. Great concept for a horror with the shocking twist coming near the end of the film. Great usage of home films on the Super 8 to add context to the horror character. Loved how we follow a discovery and story of Mr. Boogie within the film rather than him just going around killing people.
½ February 12, 2017
This is probably one of the better horror movies as of late. It scared me several times and that is not always easy to do. I am not normally a fan of Ethan Hawke, but he does alright in this film. Still some room for improvement, but it will still creep you out big time! It's not a perfect movie, but it scared me at times. I can't really ask for more than that.
February 11, 2017
Good psychological horror movie, a lot of jump scares. Made me scream a lot.
½ February 10, 2017
Sinister is a genuinely disturbing horror film that adds layers of tension and buildup and then catches you by surprise in the way a horror film should.
½ February 10, 2017
Sinister is a small and enjoyable mystery/horror film that finds ways to be intriguing. There are some jump scares and a couple scenes of genuine horror. Ethan Hawke is perfect as a famous writer who just moved his family into a home with a murderous past. It's not much, but I enjoyed it for what it was. (3/5/5)
February 9, 2017
Surprisingly good for a horror movie.
February 7, 2017
I had fun watching this with my friends! I normally don't go for horror, but this one was well done..a little meta and some cliches, but scary!
February 6, 2017
Three stars for the film, until the ending. so bad it took off two stars. well shot, good, creepy jump scares, great acting. The ending was predictable, and corny.
½ February 5, 2017
I wonder how I haven't heard about this movie earlier. I quite enjoyed it, very scared too. I even loved the plot and the acting was also amazing. Or maybe it was just the flight I was in, over the ocean.
½ February 3, 2017
WASTE OF TIME. not worth 2 hours of sitting. AND I, too, wondered why they did not ever turn on the lights. BORING!
January 28, 2017
The first act is suspenseful and creepy, a very good start that had my interest but as it goes even though the creepiness is well done from images and music the movie goes way too far into ridiculous.
½ January 25, 2017
It doesn't know what it wants to be but it does have intrigue.