Sinister - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sinister Reviews

½ February 27, 2018
Quite successful on the horror front.
The film has plenty of good jump scares and really intense scene's, that build suspense really well. However apart from Ellison Oswalt's Character, there wasn't any strength, depth or any caring of the other character's in this film what so ever. But overall, enjoyed this.
January 30, 2018
Good horror is a lot like hypnotism, if you don't trust it to lead you to where you want to go, then you are negating the whole reason you're watching it in the first place.

This film truly utilizes a "less is more" approach, and seeks to plant dreadful things in the audience's mind to dwell on after the film is over, rather than merely placate them with a bunch of cheap jump scares, pointless violence, and obligatory gore. It is a slow burner, requiring a little commitment on the part of the audience, that pays off in the end. If you're looking for a faster paced gut-wrencher, this film won't meet that demand. However, if you're looking for a macabre story to leave you feeling awful after an hour and change, this one might be worth a look.

Also, whether or not you enjoy this first film, DO NOT watch the sequel. Whatever good points this movie has are shot in its failure of a successor, starting at the ankles and working on up.
January 27, 2018
Awesome film. I enjoyed the plot, the acting, the murder scenes, the soundtrack, and the overall atmosphere. I was so fascinated by the antagonist Bagul, when I looked him up to see if he actually was a true pagan deity, I was bummed to find out that he wasn't. The ending provided us with a plot twist that will definitely make a second time watching the movie a slightly different trip
½ January 24, 2018
Extraordinarily terrifying, Sinister is a dark and disturbing supernatural thriller. Ethan Hawke stars as a true-crime novelist who moves his family into the house of a notorious multiple murder and finds a mysterious case of homemade films in the attic that depict a series of gruesome murders; meanwhile the family begins to experience a number of strange occurrences. Hawke gives a strong performance and newcomer Clare Foley does a great job at playing both cute and creepy. Additionally, the writers build the tension and suspense especially well; the homemade films in particular heighten the mystery and get increasingly unsettling. Incredibly intense, Sinister is a frighteningly chilling horror film.
January 18, 2018
It can be difficult to make something visually scary these days, when everything has been done. With that said, Sinister does a great job on that front. I found its straightforward plot a terrifying one.
January 13, 2018
Outright riveting, and terrifyingly spooky.
½ January 4, 2018
It was about time they decided to make a horror movie rated R, to make this movie looked good. I liked the movie it had good scares and definitely gets your attention. Ethan Hawke made his character very believable, and made this film a good horror scenario. It kind of remind me of " Insidous" . On if the good horror films to come out this year. So for this being one great creepy film and some great disturbing scenes , and delivering a great horror movie, I give " Sinister " a A-.
December 3, 2017
bloody found footage crap. stop making these please
½ November 9, 2017
3.5 Fair thriller/chiller. Available for a limited time on Fetch Movie Box.
November 4, 2017
lol, this one is soooooo spooky
November 3, 2017
Writer and director Scott Derrickson offers a decently directed and visually interesting horror flick, with enough unnerving moments to stand from other recent titles, and while this is pretty much enough to catalog it as a good film, what keeps Sinister from going further among the rest is the number of already tired clichés, as well as conventionally familiar plot and uninteresting characters, making it all go down for a standard and average experience that'll never transcend in horror genre.
October 22, 2017
Aptly named, a good deal of the film has a sinister feel to it with an interesting plot and authentic characters. The evil threat is made scary by being used sparingly, instead relying on the creepy atmosphere created by dark rooms late at night, the content of the Super 8 films within the plot (as well as the great score), and how it all plays on the mind of the protagonist. There's a good deal of genuine scares, but also a few cheap ones here and there. The main issue, however, is just how darn predictable it is, as well as the ending that feels incredibly anti-climactic because of it. You leave with a sense that something more should have happened and that it only goes downhill as time goes by. It certainly had potential to be a lot better, but that doesn't mean that it won't give you the creeps, particularly during the first half.
½ October 15, 2017
Despite using many modern horror tropes and clichés, Sinister is without a doubt one of the best modern horror films out. It completely terrified me, and made me jump multiple times with probably the best jumpscares ever put to film. I will most definitely be sleeping with the lights on tonight...

In comparison to other Horror Movies of its kind, I would say it is stronger than Insidious and the Conjuring, but said franchises are a lot better than this and the mess that is Sinister 2
October 8, 2017
A pretty terrifying horror movie. Scarry sound effects and a good plot starring Ethan Hawke
½ September 28, 2017
Sinister is subtle with its horror, and it hits you all at once.
½ September 28, 2017
Sinister stars Ethan Hawke and is about his character (a writer) who is looking for another story to push out and gain attention from before he is forgotten. I found this film to be very creepy and I was genuinely scared towards the last act of the film. The videotapes, what made the film so infamous, are not very bloody at all, but so disturbing and bone chilling that I will likely never forget them. The ending of the film also gives you a lot to think about, not in terms of dissecting the hidden meaning necessarily, but definitely in that sense of what will happen next to the people who would continue this series if another (decent) one was made.
September 27, 2017
February 2013
September 2017
September 23, 2017
Seriously... Who moves into a murder house? Also, this movie would have been far more compelling and disturbing if it was real rather than supernatural in the writing. I think that's where it could have been amazing rather than just average.
August 27, 2017
Good scary movies are extremely hard to come across. Although it's not perfect by any means it makes for a fun movie experience. Sinister is effective and offers some good scares, although the movie seems to lose momentum at times.
August 15, 2017
This movie is one of the best horror movies in recent times. Very scary and well thought out plot. Must watch.