Sixteen Candles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sixteen Candles Reviews

½ January 8, 2017
I don't remember other John Hughes films being so funny or so sweary. Shame it took me so long to see this.
December 29, 2016
John Hughes is God. Just about. Fantastic movie even 30+ years later.
November 29, 2016
I'd give a star just because Molly Ringwald is there.
November 27, 2016
John Hughes delivers a great yet simple story revolving around a birthday and love. Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall are both great together and separate.
November 6, 2016
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS MOVIE!
(I know every word!!)
½ October 29, 2016
Sixteen Candles is an timeless 80s gem with witty dialogue and charming performances from Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall.
October 21, 2016
If you enjoy heteronormative teen movies that are offensive, sexist, and unapologetically cheesy then this is the movie for you!
½ October 12, 2016
What in the world did I just watched?
½ October 5, 2016
Over the top silly at points but there is truth within the story and themes and it makes for a truly hilarious time.
½ October 4, 2016
16 Candles, directed and written by John Hughes, is funny and full of high school drama. However it is also your typical cliche chick flick and the plot has a common storyline. It has the girl that likes the boy and the boy that likes the girl. The girl, Samantha Baker (Molly Ringwald), has a crush on the boy, Jake Ryan (Michael Schoeffling), but he's the hot senior and a popular jock who also just so happens to be dating one of the most popular girls in school, played by Haviland Morris. How on earth could he ever notice the quiet little underclassman, let alone like her back?
Ringwald does a fantastic job of playing Samantha in the way that she really digs deep into the emotions that a sixteen year old girl would feel if her whole family forgot about her birthday. Schoeffling also does a pretty good job of playing Jake, the heartfelt popular jock, he made the audience feel like they were the one that he was falling for. The chemistry between the two actors, when they were acting together, was great. When there was an awkward scene they made the audience feel the awkwardness, such as when they were standing near each other but don't make eye contact. Imagine that you're alone in a room with the person you like, both of you are aware of the situation. Not only do they know that you like them, but they don't like you back. So now you both are just standing there, alone, silent and uncomfortable. This is about the level of discomfort that the two actors make you feel.
16 Candles was made back in 1984, acting back in the 80's was far more corny compared to acting nowadays. The majority of the jokes were funny, but we've all heard them before. Could the cast members have made the overall movie better by themselves? Yes, I think the did a great job of doing so! The dialog had quite a familiar tune to it, the baseline for all classic chick flicks, however the way that the actors said the words made it more bearable. For example, instead of just saying their lines without or with little emotion they poured their hearts out into it and made it feel real to the audience watching.
Even though the movie's plot is not original and the acting is not the greatest, I still find that the movie was decently entertaining. I could predict the general plot line for the majority of the movie but there were random elements of surprise. There was also quite a few times where the f word and other swear words were used, so I would not recommend anyone not mature enough to handle such language.
Just because the movie might tend to be a tad bit predictable at times, the film overall is pretty great. It is a fun flick to watch on a Friday night with all your girlfriends eating popcorn and talking about whatever you guys have planned for the weekend. The next time you are looking for a movie to watch, don't spend thirty minutes scrolling through all the movies on Netflix, it's an easy choice, just watch 16 Candles.
September 10, 2016
I love John Hughes, but I'm not a big fan of Sixteen Candles. I think it's one of the weaker movies he directed. It doesn't have the charm of Ferris Bueller, for example, and it's missing the humor of Uncle Buck. I couldn't relate to the characters and it hasn't really aged well. Maybe you had to watch this film as an angsty teenager to truly appreciate it.
August 28, 2016
"Sixteen Candles" is another classic teen rom-com written and directed by John Hughes, and therefore it contains the perfect dialogue, the appealing characters, and delightful charm his movies normally have. In addition to her family forgetting her sixteenth birthday, Samantha (Molly Ringwald) just really wants her biggest crush to finally notice her. And while "Sixteen Candles" may not hold up in caliber to the brilliant "The Breakfast Club," it is still a nostalgic coming-to-age film that is highly enjoyable and a breakout role for Molly Ringwald.
½ August 21, 2016
Fantastic high school movie starring Molly ringwald. I loved the setting of the high school because I'm in high school and to see how high school was back in the 80s and the party's , I highly doubt that my high school experience would be like this movie but it would be cool. Their is one thing that is true, the geeks at the dance going crazy for a girls underwear, and you could say I'm one of those geeks. I loved this movie and it's already a classic, if your in high school or already been in high school watch this movie and I bet you'll love it.
August 20, 2016
A classic 80's teen comedy from one of the greatest directors of the decade John Hughes.
August 18, 2016
What a classic throwback to a bygone era! It's got the nerds, it's got the popular kids, and it's got the girl that no one knows about who is in love with the most popular guy. It's got the nerd humor, the big school dance, raging house parties, and family drama. Ultimately Samantha's family has forgotten her 16th birthday!

Overall it is pretty fun but it's not the lovey-dovey romantic movie, it definitely more of a negative feel as opposed to a positive upbeat movie. Some language. But the ending is great. You just have to wait so long for it to get there! I'm not sure I'd see it again, but it was fun.
½ August 14, 2016
Sixteen Candles is one of the benchmark Molly Ringwald/John Hughes collaborations from the 80s about a young teen who goes on a string of rebellious misadventures after her family are too distracted to remember her 16th birthday. The film also stars Anthony Michael Hall as a supreme geek who has a bizarre bond with Ringwald's, Samantha and their chemistry together carries the movie. There isn't a "plot" per se, which was a little disappointing to me; the film is basically just an assortment of scenarios that our characters find themselves in, but it never stops being enjoyable thanks to the great writing from Hughes. There are some notable pop culture elements to this film such as the infamous pantie-lending scene, the characters sitting on the counter at the end having cake, and the partially racist portrayal of the Asian exchange student named, Long Duk Dong, which isn't as bad as Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's but it's borderline! In all honesty, this film is just passable, not too much happens, and the only thing that keeps you invested is the characters and some very funny dialogue, but compared to some of Hughes' other classics, it barely resonates. There are surprise appearances by John and Joan Cusack from before they were famous that I truly didn't know about, so that was something!
August 12, 2016
16 year old teen girl is ignored by everyone around her as they forget her birthday in this adolescent comedy.
½ August 9, 2016
Absurd but in an oh-so-fun way. It's not insulting to youngsters but gives a fairly decent view of teen life in 1984, even if it wasn't portrayed realistically. I enjoyed the film. The soundtrack is fantastic, too.
August 5, 2016
REWATCH
***** Excellent Took another viewing of the "Sixteen Candles" and this gem is as great as when I first watched it as a 16 year old teen while going to Southwest Miami Senior High. "Sixteen Candles" does not blow at all. The great, late John Hughes suburban teen comedy is a wonderful representation of teen life in the 80's as he showed us also with "The Breakfast Club". Molly Ringwald was great as the lead teen Samantha, and Anthony Michael Hall was hilarious as the geek. So get your geek on with another turn at those "Sixteen Candles".
½ July 27, 2016
Sixteen Candles is uneven due to too much emphasis on Ted instead of Sam and a very unfortunate character of Dong who is an awful Asian stereotype, but everything else is great with the standouts being Molly Ringwald who is so good in the main role, the character interactions and the dialogue with some amazing, wonderful lines. But the film also hugely benefits from such a beautiful, perfectly constructed end sequence and from having a lot of heart, but never becoming too emotional. It is a fun, touching teen film that quite successfully transcended its clichéd nature.