Slap Shot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slap Shot Reviews

July 10, 2016
Newman + Hanson brothers = hat trick of fun
June 13, 2016
best sports comedy of all time!
½ May 29, 2016
Not too bad for an American sports film; it does have some funny characters and moments.
½ April 16, 2016
160416: Having recently met the "Hanson Brothers", "Killer Carlson" and "Denis Lemieux"; all I can say is they're all pure class, much like this film. Top notch, timeless entertainment.
½ March 18, 2016
Slapshot is crude, chauvinist, & very politically incorrect. It's also funny as Hell. Here a scraggly-looking Paul Newman leads a team of ferocious hockey goons that isn't any good at winning games, but it great winning fistfights on the ice. It all culminates in a hilarious climax in which the heroes simultaneously take on a rival team & their rowdy fans .
March 9, 2016
This is one of the funniest hockey movies I've ever seen in my life!
½ October 14, 2015
Disclaimer: I only watched 30 minutes of this film. Not a single laugh.
½ October 7, 2015
I don't think this one has aged real well. Maybe I'm just not enough of a hockey person. I just didn't think it was all that funny. Newman was great, and I enjoyed the Hansen's, but overall doesn't measure up.
July 26, 2015
A funny and one heck of a classic movie.
May 31, 2015
George Roy Hill's 1977 comedy about an aging hockey player and his minor league team remains just as rude, crude and inappropriately funny as it must have been at the time of it's release. Paul Newman is outstanding, but it is Nancy Dowd's script and Hill's adaptation of it that makes it shine. The humor here often verges on sophomoric, but the insights are fairly potent. Great film.
½ May 13, 2015
Too much swearing, makes it hard to watch.
½ February 27, 2015
Crass, crude, violent comedy involving minor-league hockey. Paul Newman plays the coach/player of crappy team in Charlestown who don't win often and are going to be disbanded - and he essentially invents a potential "move" to Florida to inspire his team to win. Unforgettable characters and villains, and the vulgarity is present in just about every scene. Very quotable lines with exceptional dialogue for on early '80s comedy, and it is well acted throughout. The addition of the Hansons as total goons lead to some hilarious moments. It's ironic that the subject matter deals with franchises moving/folding, which has been a huge issue with major sports teams over the past 30 years. One of the best sports movies as well as one of the best comedies ever.

Grade = 8.5/10
February 15, 2015
The quintessential hockey movie (Sorry Mighty Ducks). Paul Newman flexes some comedic muscle in his role as Reggie Dunlop. The unforgettable Hanson Brothers steal a few scenes as well.
February 9, 2015
Just an Iconic hockey movie.......everyone has their favorite scene.
February 7, 2015
Very nice sport movie!
½ January 29, 2015
Felt frequently amazed at what I was watching. How does Slap Shot exist? What is the true nature of our existence? Is there an afterlife? If so, is Slap Shot in the afterlife?
January 16, 2015
Still the best and most entertaining hockey film. As a youth, Slap Shot inspired me to play the game. Well, there was that and being born in Detroit...
December 29, 2014
This movie was hilarious! Paul Newman plays the aging coach and star player for a hockey team full of losers and malcontents who find that the more violent they are on the ice, the more people love them. I laughed for the entire movie. Is this the best hockey movie ever? I'm gonna say yes.
½ November 16, 2014
This movie is best seen as a young adult male at the time of its release but it still holds up pretty well. An underdog sports story where the underdogs are not well trained purebreds but ankle biting mutts.I found it a little difficult to see Newman, a classic hollywood hero, playing a very flawed leader.
November 15, 2014
Sharp writing and an abundance of memorable characters make this an inspirational and hilarious ride.