Slap Shot Reviews

• May 31, 2019

Surprisingly, this is the first time Paul Newman has expressed any sort of acting ability outside of his own "masculine shell" image. I'm a bit surprised.

• Mar 01, 2019

I struggled with Slap Shot because it is a film that is ostensibly about hockey, but there is so little hockey in it. Any time they were actually playing the game I was on board, and I was excited to see a movie similar to Major League on the ice. Instead this movie isn’t built around a team learning to play well, it’s about them learning that violence is the quickest route to victory. There is also a lot of superfluous relationship stuff off the ice that I found tedious and poorly written. And the conclusion of the film is one of the most baffling things I’ve ever seen. It made me chuckle, but more because I could not comprehend what I should be feeling about this, not because it was genuinely funny. The real problem with this ending is that they had the story set up for a classic sports movie finale where the heroes learn their lesson, and change their ways to prove their worth, and then that idea is jettisoned for something so odd it almost defies explanation. The one big positive that Slap Shot has going for it is the cast of characters. Paul Newman adds some heart to a role that could be utterly despicable if played by someone else. I liked how he had this twisted mentor relationship with Michael Ontkean, who was the uptight young rookie. The Hanson brothers are a silly trio that had a lot of potential. I wasn’t a huge fan of what they did to the team, but their look and personality was funny. The movie even starts off with a hilarious scene between a reporter played by Andrew Duncan and the goalie played by Yvon Barrette. That one moment had me laughing like crazy, and got my hopes up a bit too much. So, they had the cast in place, and I’m inclined to like any sports film. The sad thing is it didn’t come together to be a story I enjoyed. Slap Shot is a movie that doesn’t care much at all about the sport of hockey, and the humor didn’t work well enough for me to get over that fact.

• Feb 27, 2019

A humorous exaggeration of old school hockey, this is one of the better sports movies ever made. It's not perfect, but for what it's worth and tries to do, it succeeds.

• Jan 26, 2019

Probably sits as the best sports movie of the 70s. Did not remember at all, it being soo damn raunchy, especially coming from Newman. I wonder how crucified this movie would get if it came out in today's market...

• Dec 06, 2018

I'm surprise that Paul Newman can be so good at trash talking

I'm surprise that Paul Newman can be so good at trash talking

• Sep 20, 2018

Still one of my all time favorite comedies. I mean come on, The Hanson Brothers!

• Mar 26, 2018

Very hard to imagine this film without Paul Newman in the central role, in which he gives a masterclass performance. The support is excellent, the "Hanson brothers" becoming a cult as a result. Just as good as it gets sports movie.

• Oct 28, 2017

I hate sports and LOVE this movie...It actually holds up today, as not much has changed...now lip service is given to sexism...despite it still being there, everywhere. This movie APPLAUDS it with appropriate consequences.

• Jul 24, 2017

Arguably the best sporting drama ever made. Paul Newman and the supporting cast are exceptional with such a terrifically clever and fun script that make an equally as entertaining film. The comedy works and blends wonderfully with the drama, but the latter is somewhat forgotten about in the last act.

• Feb 07, 2017

I know this movie has a cult following especially among hockey fans and maybe it's because I'm not a hockey fan but I really don't see what is so great about this movie.